New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Dreamscarred Press Announces - Bloodforge Infusions Open Beta

You may be thinking to yourself, "Why does DSP run so many playtests at once?" And I would answer you, "I can feel the power of madness overtaking me! AHAHAHAHA!"

In any event, welcome to the open beta for Bloodforge Infusions!

You may or may not remember Bloodforge, our book of hybrids & racial heritage. Bloodforge Infusions expands on the concepts and themes introduced in Bloodforge and introduces new races, new archetypes, racial variants, feats, and more.

You can find the playtest document here!

Right now you'll find the following six new races:

Alafia—desert-dwelling superstitious viper folk with an Akashic connection
    Atstreidi—a unique type of slime mold that grows sapience when it comes into contact with the psychic imprint left behind by a well-used suit of armor
    Coreid—A psionic core that thinks its a real boy, building a body out of particulate matter from its surroundings.
    Eiremian—Serene, detached planetouched with an affinity for negative energy.
    Entoli—The entrancing offspring of maenads and sirens.
    Ethumion—Supernaturally energetic descendents of ravids (somehow) and humans.

You'll also find variants for the sobek and suqur races from Akashic Mysteries, three new variant kitsune (and a universal alternate racial trait for them!), three new tiefling heritages, seven alternate tengu, a new rogue archetype, a psionic counterpart to Sanguine Sorcery & Spark of Divinity, a new psionic power, and the fevered ramblings of designers pushed beyond the cliffs of sanity.

As always, we look forward to your feedback!

Ready?

Go!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press Announces - Bloodforge Infusions Open Beta

You made a Dungeon Meshi Living Armor? Good lord, this is why Dreamscarred is probably my favourite publisher.

EDIT: Just one thing to query from my first look-over:

Fighter: Increase the fighter’s reach when fighting with a weapon from one of their weapon groups by 1 foot per 4 levels (granting a 10-foot reach at 20th level).
    Should this be 2ft per 4 levels, or a 5ft reach at 20th level?
    Last edited by Omoikane13; 2016-08-28 at 02:46 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Now, I wasn't a fan of the first Bloodforge, but this one seems to be loaded with potential so far. The new psionic and planar races both seem like perfect additions to the mythos, and just looking at them opens up a lot of ideas for characters and societies (exactly what races are supposed to do, in my opinion). Simple, yet elegantly crafted.

Also, I'm incredibly happy that you are breathing new life into some of the old and underutilized races. The Kitsune and Tengu work both seem amazing so far (Cassowary Tengu is a brilliant concept), and I hope to see more attempts at rebirthing some old races (Merfolk, Orcs, and Grippli come readily to mind).

Now if you'll excuse me, I have salamanderfolk akashic fighter in need of a few epics.
    Dark Green, the color of Chaotic Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Altruistorc is leaving me deeply disturbed and intrigued at the same time...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

The Coried favored class option reads
    Soulknife: Add +1/3 to the effective level to the soulknife’s level for their enhanced mind blade ability.
    Does this have a limit, or does a level 12 Coreid Soulknife have a +7 enhancement bonus, as opposed to every else's +5? And what happens when they hit Soulknife 16, when the effective +5 puts it past the chart?
    Last edited by digiman619; 2016-08-28 at 04:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Alafia
    Oracle FCB is a bit strong, like all the other full-caster +1 spell FCBs. One spell per 2 levels would be better, unless you're set on holding to Paizo's precedent.

Swashbuckler FCB is very interesting. My gut says it's a touch weak, maybe +1/5 per level?

Warder FCB is probably meant to say "reach", unless you really mean for them to be able to shoot fangs at people

Atstreidi (Living Armor)
    This is... interesting. Not the fluff I was expecting when I saw the name. Cool concept though.

Stalker FCB - feat-equivalents should be +1/6 per level, without exception.
    Wizard FCB - same concerns as Alafia Oracle

Psychic Speech is really vague about how it works. Specifically:
    -what's its range, if any?
    -can it be used to communicate with deaf or mindless creatures?
    -can it be restricted to certain recipients, and can others try to listen in as if it were normal speech?

A few other questions:
    1. Can assimilated gauntlets be used as weapons after they're assimilated?
    1a. If yes to (1), can an Atstreidi with assimilated gauntlets make unarmed strikes with their hands?
    1b. If yes to (1a), is there an action necessary to switch between wielding the gauntlets and being unarmed?
    2. If an Atstreidi transfers from magic armor to nonmagic, nonmasterwork armor and takes the enhancement bonus with it, does the new armor become or count as masterwork? Does it remain masterwork if the Atstreidi leaves it for a third suit of armor?
    3. Does the slam attack occupy any hands, or could an Atstreidi with two claw attacks use all three natural weapons at once? There might be a general rule on this but if so I don't know it.

Coreid
    The fluff mentions them being able to store magic items inside their body. Does this provide the items with any sort of mechanical benefit, or is it entirely fluff? The ability to make your items hidden and untargetable would be quite powerful.

Can they add new materials to and remove old materials from their body? If so, how does this interact with and/or involve the Disguise skill?

When they're discorporated, can the core be picked up and moved around? What happens if it's removed from its remains and put in an area lacking viable body materials?
    In addition, a coreid loses cohesion when they reach 0 hit points, their form dissembling into a pile. When discorporated thus, they reconstitute in one day so long as their core isn’t destroyed (it has 1 hit point per character level and hardness 10, cannot be targeted unless the coreid is discorporated). They return to corporeal form, regaining all their hit points, and can be resurrected normally so long as the spell is cast with the core as the remains of the coreid.
    This is rather confusing, in a lot of ways. Suggested rewording:

Spoiler
    Show
    A coreid reduced to 0 hit points or less loses cohesion, its particulate body falling away from its inactive core. The core is a fist-sized object with hardness 10 and 1 hit point per character level of the coreid it came from, and it cannot be targeted, damaged, or otherwise affected while the coreid is active; effects directed at the core instead target or affect the coreid, if possible. If the inactive core is destroyed, the coreid dies. Coreids cannot be raised, but they can be resurrected if the caster of the spell has a part of the destroyed core; coreids cannot be reincarnated. While the coreid is inactive, they are neither dead nor alive, but they are unable to think or act and count as dead for effects that would bring them back. If an inactive core spends 24 hours in an environment with enough particulate matter to form a new body, the core reactivates, restoring the coreid's full hit points and assembling a body from nearby materials.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's at least one spell or effect somewhere that knocks a creature to 0 HP on a failed save or some such; you may want to shift their disassembly point to -1 or less.

As much as I love that Kineticist FCB, I think it's a bit much for a favored class bonus. Even ticked down to +1/4 it would still be pretty darn good. If you want to make burn easier on kineticists, implement it in a way that works with every race.

Eiremian
    Kineticist FCB - same as Coreid.

Guru FCB is pretty neat.

Entoli
    Marksman FCB: feat-equivalents should be +1/6 per level, without exception.

Ethumion
    Contagious Enthusiasm is very strong. Free-action retrieval of anything on your person, anywhere? Alchemists love this one weird trick to drink two extracts per round! No me gusta.

Helping hand is... well, it's something. "Any purposes that require a free hand" includes casting spells (THF Magus, because that class needs more damage), holding extracts (THF Alchemist, because that class needs more damage too), Lance-TWF (because mounted chargers need more damage), and so on. And also it can't be bound or hindered, which means casters can just say "no" to grapples, paralysis, etc. Gaseous Form doesn't have a verbal component, so a Helping Hand Ethumion can never be prevented from casting it and escaping from whatever trouble they're in. Invisible magic hands may be cool but this is not a good way to implement them.

Daevic FCB is overpowered; +1/4 essence is strong as heck even before taking into account the essence efficiency of passion veils.

Kineticist FCB is overpowered, same as Coreid and Eiremian.

Fighter FCB is interesting. I like it.

Tengu
    Bearded Vulture is nasty strong, especially with Fate's Favored. They'd need to give up a lot more than some small Stealth, Perception, and Linguistics bonuses to get +2 to saves and +3 to AC.

Ostrich's 1.5*Str (and -1/+3 power attack scaling) to unarmed strikes is waaay more valuable than the +4 Linguistics and handful of proficiencies that it replaces. I recommend scaling it down to counting as two-handed for feats and abilities, but not for damage (i.e. -1/+3 power attack, but 1*Str).

Deceiver
    Ooh, I like this archetype. Good to see social rogues getting more support.

The uRogue's Major Magic talent provides 1 use per day per 2 levels, which is twice as many as Mental Infiltrator or Uncanny Image.

Feats
    The Psionic Awakening chain is so cool. Seems to me like it's in a great place balance-wise, too.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2016-08-28 at 04:40 PM.
    Please use they/them/theirs when referring to me in the third person.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Awesome Bone Knight avatar by Chd.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Cassidy Halloran, Human Scout
    William Gamache, Human Relic Channeler Medium
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AGrinningCat View Post
    Lay on hands? More like Lay your Eyes on this sick elbow drop!

6. - Top - End - #6

If only ravids actually existed in PF.... note, this would be a perfect time to put in a PF conversion of Ravids.

Edit: What's a Zurami?
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2016-08-28 at 07:11 PM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    If only ravids actually existed in PF.... note, this would be a perfect time to put in a PF conversion of Ravids.
    We're going to, I just gotta actually update the things.

Edit: What's a Zurami?
    Psionic Bestiary; zurami are psionic demons that form their bodies from layers of evil sound. They divide people against each other, sow discord through deception and sensory deprivation, move as living sound waves, and cause madness and terror wherever they go. Zurami delight in plunging ordered societies into chaos and violence.

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Living Armor made me think of Alphonse Elric at first, but as I thought a bit more or acyually feels a lot more like Mass Effect's Geth.

Kakapo tengu is nice (NZ represent!). But it also makes me want mischevious, wrecking Kea tengu.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

9. - Top - End - #9

RedSorcererGirl

I like these all!

How does the called shot system interact with the Astreidi and the Coreid?

Coreid are pretty neat, though I wonder if you guys have thought about making a biological version of it? Could work as a more traditional sort of slime creature...

Shouldn't Coreid also have the shapeshifter subtype? In a sense its shape is modified just by creating the body.

What's the Vital Core's AC mods? In terms of size, I suppose, since I doubt the core is big enough to be a "medium" object.
    Last edited by MilleniaAntares; 2016-08-28 at 11:20 PM.
    My Homebrew Material, mostly focusing on Dreamscarred Press's Path of War and psionics material!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

small question can astreidi become archforge mech armor( lets say some one droped their power armor near the colony and colony found the armor) plus can astreidi choose to be weared by someone else they trust

11. - Top - End - #11

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sayt View Post
    Living Armor made me think of Alphonse Elric at first,
    Elric, or Bastion from overwatch. Little curious piece of metal. Adorable!
    Last edited by Swaoeaeieu; 2016-08-29 at 02:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orderic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swaoeaeieu
    Or maybe, i dont know... adoption?
    Don't be ridiculous. We need those orphans...
    If at any point you notice mistakes in my English, please let me know, I am always looking to improve.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    small question ... can astreidi choose to be weared by someone else they trust
    I am also curious about this. In a campaign I am currently participating in, a player has a character who is in-fact a suit of armor and is worn by another NPC (NPC is effectively a vegetable and kept alive by the suit and granting only 2 things, a face, and the NPC's title of Captain). The character in question can move on his own without the NPC, but decides to keep the NPC anyways. I have already sent the player the states of the race so to perhaps switch over, but it would be nice how a Non-vegetable NPC/PC would behave inside of an Astreidi such as what actions both can take while combined, or how damage is distributed when attacked.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

small question can astreidi become archforge mech armor( lets say some one droped their power armor near the colony and colony found the armor) plus can astreidi choose to be weared by someone else they trust
    Power armor isn't something we though of yet, so no answer there. As for being worn, sorry, but no. Fluff-wise, it's full of jagged metallic fungi that serve similar purpose to muscles. Mechanically, it is its own creature.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    As for being worn, sorry, but no. Fluff-wise, it's full of jagged metallic fungi that serve similar purpose to muscles. Mechanically, it is its own creature.
    Will that be strictly stated with the race, and if so any chance on including an alternate racial trait worded similiarly to the Aegis Customization such as:

Extra Passenger
    The atstreidi is exceptionally hollow and adept at shifting its armored shell to accommodate another. Atstreidi can carry one creature of the same size or smaller as the atstreidi’s base size (powers and effects that increase the atstreidi's size do not allow him to carry larger creatures). The carried creature is treated as if it has total concealment and he gains damage reduction/- equal to 1/2 the armor bonus of Armor Shell. The creature carried using this ability remains adjacent to the atstreidi and moves with the atstreidi’s move actions. A creature can be loaded and unloaded into the Armor Shell as a free action by the atstreidi, but the creature can take no actions until its next turn. This racial trait replaces naturally psionic and psionic aptitude.
    Last edited by Mehangel; 2016-09-02 at 12:49 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Omoikane13 View Post
    You made a Dungeon Meshi Living Armor? Good lord, this is why Dreamscarred is probably my favourite publisher.

EDIT: Just one thing to query from my first look-over:

Should this be 2ft per 4 levels, or a 5ft reach at 20th level?
    Zis is being addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    The Coried favored class option reads Does this have a limit, or does a level 12 Coreid Soulknife have a +7 enhancement bonus, as opposed to every else's +5? And what happens when they hit Soulknife 16, when the effective +5 puts it past the chart?
    Pass'd to internal, expect an update Shortly(tm).

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Oracle FCB is a bit strong, like all the other full-caster +1 spell FCBs. One spell per 2 levels would be better, unless you're set on holding to Paizo's precedent.
    I want you to remember this sentence here for later.

Swashbuckler FCB is very interesting. My gut says it's a touch weak, maybe +1/5 per level?
    This one's on debate but we'll get it figured out.

Warder FCB is probably meant to say "reach", unless you really mean for them to be able to shoot fangs at people
    Likely.

This is... interesting. Not the fluff I was expecting when I saw the name. Cool concept though.
    We try.

Stalker FCB - feat-equivalents should be +1/6 per level, without exception.
    Remember when I said to remember that sentence for later?

No. There's no actual standard; evaluate it for balance, not precedent.

Wizard FCB - same concerns as Alafia Oracle
    This and previous is one of those cases where the precedent is so warping that we can either do the thing or watch the race never get played as that class. We did the thing.

Psychic Speech is really vague about how it works. Specifically:
    -what's its range, if any?
    -can it be used to communicate with deaf or mindless creatures?
    -can it be restricted to certain recipients, and can others try to listen in as if it were normal speech?

A few other questions:
    1. Can assimilated gauntlets be used as weapons after they're assimilated?
    1a. If yes to (1), can an Atstreidi with assimilated gauntlets make unarmed strikes with their hands?
    1b. If yes to (1a), is there an action necessary to switch between wielding the gauntlets and being unarmed?
    2. If an Atstreidi transfers from magic armor to nonmagic, nonmasterwork armor and takes the enhancement bonus with it, does the new armor become or count as masterwork? Does it remain masterwork if the Atstreidi leaves it for a third suit of armor?
    3. Does the slam attack occupy any hands, or could an Atstreidi with two claw attacks use all three natural weapons at once? There might be a general rule on this but if so I don't know it.

The fluff mentions them being able to store magic items inside their body. Does this provide the items with any sort of mechanical benefit, or is it entirely fluff? The ability to make your items hidden and untargetable would be quite powerful.
    Pass'd to internal.

Can they add new materials to and remove old materials from their body? If so, how does this interact with and/or involve the Disguise skill?

When they're discorporated, can the core be picked up and moved around? What happens if it's removed from its remains and put in an area lacking viable body materials?

This is rather confusing, in a lot of ways. Suggested rewording:

Spoiler
    Show
    A coreid reduced to 0 hit points or less loses cohesion, its particulate body falling away from its inactive core. The core is a fist-sized object with hardness 10 and 1 hit point per character level of the coreid it came from, and it cannot be targeted, damaged, or otherwise affected while the coreid is active; effects directed at the core instead target or affect the coreid, if possible. If the inactive core is destroyed, the coreid dies. Coreids cannot be raised, but they can be resurrected if the caster of the spell has a part of the destroyed core; coreids cannot be reincarnated. While the coreid is inactive, they are neither dead nor alive, but they are unable to think or act and count as dead for effects that would bring them back. If an inactive core spends 24 hours in an environment with enough particulate matter to form a new body, the core reactivates, restoring the coreid's full hit points and assembling a body from nearby materials.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's at least one spell or effect somewhere that knocks a creature to 0 HP on a failed save or some such; you may want to shift their disassembly point to -1 or less.
    Pass'd to internal. As far as Disguise goes, I'd venture so far as to suggest that's what ranks in the skill probably represent.

As much as I love that Kineticist FCB, I think it's a bit much for a favored class bonus. Even ticked down to +1/4 it would still be pretty darn good. If you want to make burn easier on kineticists, implement it in a way that works with every race.

Kineticist FCB - same as Coreid.
    How about no? Again, evaluate for balance, not what should've been done with kineticist in the first place.

Marksman FCB: feat-equivalents should be +1/6 per level, without exception.
    See previous.

Contagious Enthusiasm is very strong. Free-action retrieval of anything on your person, anywhere? Alchemists love this one weird trick to drink two extracts per round! No me gusta.
    You're telling me that:

1. 3.5 Quick Draw was too strong
    2. This somehow lets them quick draw extracts, the things that explicitly can never ever be quick drawn, never, no, not even then?

Helping hand is... well, it's something. "Any purposes that require a free hand" includes casting spells (THF Magus, because that class needs more damage), holding extracts (THF Alchemist, because that class needs more damage too), Lance-TWF (because mounted chargers need more damage), and so on. And also it can't be bound or hindered, which means casters can just say "no" to grapples, paralysis, etc. Gaseous Form doesn't have a verbal component, so a Helping Hand Ethumion can never be prevented from casting it and escaping from whatever trouble they're in. Invisible magic hands may be cool but this is not a good way to implement them.
    Forrest has edited this so that it doesn't work if you're helpless etc. Other than that, getting a new hand is not difficult in PF. Notably, alchemists can ALREADY get a new hand.

Daevic FCB is overpowered; +1/4 essence is strong as heck even before taking into account the essence efficiency of passion veils.
    This is the precedent already set for those FCBs in AkMyst, buddy.

Kineticist FCB is overpowered, same as Coreid and Eiremian.
    See previous.

Bearded Vulture is nasty strong, especially with Fate's Favored. They'd need to give up a lot more than some small Stealth, Perception, and Linguistics bonuses to get +2 to saves and +3 to AC.
    Has been swapped to a racial bonus.

Ostrich's 1.5*Str (and -1/+3 power attack scaling) to unarmed strikes is waaay more valuable than the +4 Linguistics and handful of proficiencies that it replaces. I recommend scaling it down to counting as two-handed for feats and abilities, but not for damage (i.e. -1/+3 power attack, but 1*Str).
    Community A: Just make it two-handed
    Community B: Nerf it back down!

Y'all people I swear. Our eye is on this one as things progress. Would be great to see hard numbers.

Ooh, I like this archetype. Good to see social rogues getting more support.

The uRogue's Major Magic talent provides 1 use per day per 2 levels, which is twice as many as Mental Infiltrator or Uncanny Image.
    I have no idea where you're going with this statement but pass'd to internal.

The Psionic Awakening chain is so cool. Seems to me like it's in a great place balance-wise, too.
    Community A: Too weak!
    Community B: Perfect!

Our eye is on this one too.

Quote Originally Posted by MilleniaAntares View Post
    I like these all!

How does the called shot system interact with the Astreidi and the Coreid?
    By making me drink heavily and try to forget it exists again. Pass'd to internal, but we may not end up, like...caring.

Coreid are pretty neat, though I wonder if you guys have thought about making a biological version of it? Could work as a more traditional sort of slime creature...
    Would be a bit rough, design-wise.

Shouldn't Coreid also have the shapeshifter subtype? In a sense its shape is modified just by creating the body.
    Shapeshifter comes with some mechanical implications we don't want or need in this case.

What's the Vital Core's AC mods? In terms of size, I suppose, since I doubt the core is big enough to be a "medium" object.
    Pass'd to internal.

Arcforge is being published by someone else these days; its content is no longer our concern. Chances are it wouldn't be compatible for various reasons but that's honestly not something I want to (or, actually, even can) speak definitively on any more.
    Last edited by Lord_Gareth; 2016-08-29 at 02:13 PM.

My extended homebrew sig

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post

This is the precedent already set for those FCBs in AkMyst, buddy.
    Actually, FCBs in Akashic Mysteries that grant bonus essence are universally +1/5, not +1/4. It also seems like most of the other new BF:I races use the +1/5 progression, so it seems possible that the Ethumion FCB is a typo or error.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    Actually, FCBs in Akashic Mysteries that grant bonus essence are universally +1/5, not +1/4. It also seems like most of the other new BF:I races use the +1/5 progression, so it seems possible that the Ethumion FCB is a typo or error.
    Huh. My bad; pass'd to internal.

My extended homebrew sig

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

There's no actual standard; evaluate it for balance, not precedent.
    Evaluating for balance requires comparison to existing options. Rogue, Alchemist, Magus, Witch, Ninja, Arcanist, Shaman, Slayer, Warpriest, Kineticist, Occultist, Cryptic (DSP), and Dread (DSP) all have +1/6 [feat-equivalent] as a FCB for one or more races, and those races are strong choices because of their FCBs. I think that's sufficient weight of evidence to default to +1/6 for feat-equivalents. I'll admit that "without exception" is a bit too absolute, though.

Opening up PoW:E, +1/4 does match some of the already-printed Stalker FCBs, so I guess sticking with that is justified in the larger context of other Stalker material.

How about no? Again, evaluate for balance, not what should've been done with kineticist in the first place.
    Yeah, evaluate for balance. Compare to existing options. "Ignore half of your burn" is leagues better than any of the other Kineticist FCBs, and it's quite a bit stronger than FCBs really should be. Cribbing the Halfling's +1/6 to internal reservoir would be good, or cutting the scaling to +1/4 if you're dead set on burn HP loss reduction.

A definite issue with the "reduce burn by half" FCB is Aether's Force Ward. Burn takes you down (1/2 level) HP, Force Ward grants (1/2 level) regenerating temporary HP per point of burn; a telekineticist with the FCB can feed burn into Force Ward with no effective HP loss.

You're telling me that:

1. 3.5 Quick Draw was too strong
    I'm not sure where you're getting this from - all three sources I have available (srd, print copy, ebook) for the 3.5 core rules have a Quick Draw that explicitly only works with weapons.

2. This somehow lets them quick draw extracts, the things that explicitly can never ever be quick drawn, never, no, not even then?
    The only relevant (Pathfinder) text I'm finding is this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Quick Draw
    Alchemical items, potions, scrolls, and wands cannot be drawn quickly using this feat.
    Which, being part of Quick Draw's text, is overridden by Contagious Enthusiasm's alterations to Quick Draw.

Is there some other piece of rules text somewhere that you're referring to?

Forrest has edited this so that it doesn't work if you're helpless etc.
    Good to hear. It's still pretty strong - greatsword + unarmed strike TWF, THF Magus, etc - but I don't see it causing major problems.

Other than that, getting a new hand is not difficult in PF. Notably, alchemists can ALREADY get a new hand.
    I'm of the opinion that Vestigial Arm and (at least as it is now) Helping Hand provide extra limbs with too little investment - compare to the Aegis, which can get a weaker-than-normal extra arm at 5th level with 3 customization points, or two fully-functional extra arms at 8th level with 6 points. Some sort of scaling (á la the 3.5 Dragonborn aspects) into a normally usable hand by 5th level or so might work well.
    Last edited by Extra Anchovies; 2016-08-29 at 03:58 PM.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    Evaluating for balance requires comparison to existing options. Rogue, Alchemist, Magus, Witch, Ninja, Arcanist, Shaman, Slayer, Warpriest, Kineticist, Occultist, Cryptic (DSP), and Dread (DSP) all have +1/6 [feat-equivalent] as a FCB for one or more races, and those races are strong choices because of their FCBs. I think that's sufficient weight of evidence to default to +1/6 for feat-equivalents. I'll admit that "without exception" is a bit too absolute, though.

Opening up PoW:E, +1/4 does match some of the already-printed Stalker FCBs, so I guess sticking with that is justified in the larger context of other Stalker material.
    Run some numbers and get back to us.

Yeah, evaluate for balance. Compare to existing options. "Ignore half of your burn" is leagues better than any of the other Kineticist FCBs, and it's quite a bit stronger than FCBs really should be. Cribbing the Halfling's +1/6 to internal reservoir would be good, or cutting the scaling to +1/4 if you're dead set on burn HP loss reduction.

A definite issue with the "reduce burn by half" FCB is Aether's Force Ward. Burn takes you down (1/2 level) HP, Force Ward grants (1/2 level) regenerating temporary HP per point of burn; a telekineticist with the FCB can feed burn into Force Ward with no effective HP loss.
    Temp HP very much is not normal HP. It's a nice cushion but it won't save you in the long-term. Kineticist is a class sorely in need of some affection.

I'm not sure where you're getting this from - all three sources I have available (srd, print copy, ebook) for the 3.5 core rules have a Quick Draw that explicitly only works with weapons.

The only relevant (Pathfinder) text I'm finding is this:

Which, being part of Quick Draw's text, is overridden by Contagious Enthusiasm's alterations to Quick Draw.

Is there some other piece of rules text somewhere that you're referring to?
    The FAQ

Notably including:

Quote Originally Posted by The FAQ
    Alchemist: Does the Accelerated Drinker feat from Cheliax, Empire of Devils allow a character to drink an alchemist extract as a move action?

No.
    And

Quote Originally Posted by The FAQ
    Alchemist: What kind of action is it to use an extract, mutagen, or throw a bomb?

It is a standard action to use an extract, mutagen, or throw a bomb. This action includes retrieving the necessary materials from the alchemist's supplies, in the same manner as retrieving a material component is included in the act of spellcasting.
    Extracts are not items. They are spells. They cannot be quick drawn. No, not even then.

Good to hear. It's still pretty strong - greatsword + unarmed strike TWF, THF Magus, etc - but I don't see it causing major problems.
    Certainly didn't back in the 3.5 days.

I'm of the opinion that Vestigial Arm and (at least as it is now) Helping Hand provide extra limbs with too little investment - compare to the Aegis, which can get a weaker-than-normal extra arm at 5th level with 3 customization points, or two fully-functional extra arms at 8th level with 6 points. Some sort of scaling (á la the 3.5 Dragonborn aspects) into a normally usable hand by 5th level or so might work well.
    I'ma have to respectfully disagree with this opinion. The existing options haven't caused a fuss.

My extended homebrew sig

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't want to sound rude, as this may be mildly unrelated, but I am a huge fan of Bastards & Bloodlines, which is what I'm assuming the Bloodforge book is based off of, and considering it's Dreamscarred Press that updated it to Pathfinder, I'm definitely intrigued and impressed.

Is there a way to get a print copy of Bloodforge, or is it PDF only?
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    I don't want to sound rude, as this may be mildly unrelated, but I am a huge fan of Bastards & Bloodlines, which is what I'm assuming the Bloodforge book is based off of, and considering it's Dreamscarred Press that updated it to Pathfinder, I'm definitely intrigued and impressed.

Is there a way to get a print copy of Bloodforge, or is it PDF only?
    Nnnoooot yet. We're working on it but the files got corrupted and, well...

My extended homebrew sig

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Nnnoooot yet. We're working on it but the files got corrupted and, well...
    Oh, dang! That's never fun.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

23. - Top - End - #23

RedSorcererGirl

Arcforged mechs are constructs by default, and their habitation of armor prevents any compatibility with mechs... The Cybernetic Integration feat doesn't exactly make your mech into armor, as it's still called out as a "creature", and isn't designated as light/medium/heavy armor. However, your GMs may allow such a thing, but that is probably not going to be allowed by RAW.
    My Homebrew Material, mostly focusing on Dreamscarred Press's Path of War and psionics material!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Are there any plans on making feats or racial traits for the Coreid focusing on the psicrystal? It seems like a really neat idea to have, say, the core itself become a psicrystal for additional effects. Perhaps a feat for later levels (Imp. Psicyrstal + Level 11 or more maybe?) that takes it further and allows the core psicrystal to move outside of the body, becoming a sort of pseudo-phylactery at the risk of it being found and destroyed.

As a note, the Coreid FCB for Psion might be a little too powerful. Throw in an orange ioun stone along with that trait that gives you +1 manifester level to a power and at level 12 we're talking 9th level astral constructs.

25. - Top - End - #25

RedSorcererGirl

For the Coreid... I think it would be neat if they had a 25% chance of avoiding death if they were reduced to negative con mod while having their form up. If that's too strong, perhaps as a feat?

Can you get both Peacock Composition and Metallic Form? Seems like they'd stack, but I want to make sure... and if they do, does that mean their recovery time will be 4 days, or 6?

How does Vital Core interact with Die Hard? And if someone heals the core, does that mean the coreid can pop up immediately, or are they stuck until they reincorporate?

Coreid Psion FCB has "manifeter" instead of manifester.

A lot of the alternate racial traits in general seem like something that could be desired with a feat, so perhaps adding in that option for whatever makes sense would be good.
    Last edited by MilleniaAntares; 2016-08-30 at 01:08 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

oooh cool, the Coreid's make me think of the Gem's from Steven Universe. Because that is what they basically are.

while the Eiremians remind me of my own experiences in life. I just love them and can relate to them so much...
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Temp HP very much is not normal HP. It's a nice cushion but it won't save you in the long-term.
    The only case in which temporary HP and normal HP differ is that temp HP can't be restored by healing, and Force Ward temp HP come back on their own. It's not quick enough to matter in combat, but a few minutes between fights will refill it entirely. Putting X burn into it gets a pool of size (level+0.5*X*level) which recharges (1+0.5*X) points per minute (e.g. 4 burn gets a 3*level pool and 3/minute recharge), so it always takes one minute per level to get back to full. Pumping burn into Force Ward to max out Elemental Overflow and skipping burn-costing talents that you haven't infusion-spec'd to zero is already one of the better play strategies for kineticists, so I don't think pushing it up to no effective HP loss is a good idea.

If the goal for the FCB is to reduce the impact taking burn has on effective hit points, I think an internal buffer increase would be better, because it's already an existing FCB option and because it doesn't have the weird no-effective-cost Force Ward stuff.

Kineticist is a class sorely in need of some affection.
    I definitely agree, but this seems contradictory with what you said earlier:
    Again, evaluate for balance, not what should've been done with kineticist in the first place.
    I'm not sure if you're saying new Kineticist options should be balanced against existing Kineticist options, or if they should be measured by some other standard. Care to clarify?

I also think that racial FCBs aren't a good way to shore up a weak class, for two reasons. First, it results in only certain races being viable choices for Kineticists. Second, if something is introduced later (by DSP or by Paizo) that pushes the Kineticist from "has some problems" to "generally pretty solid", the FCBs in combination with the new option could move it from "generally pretty solid" into "powerful enough to cause problems".

The FAQ

Extracts are not items. They are spells. They cannot be quick drawn. No, not even then.
    Thanks for digging those up. I'd actually been under the impression that extracts had to be drawn and consumed as separate actions, but apparently that's not the case. Ah, paizo.
    My Homebrew (PF, 3.5)
    Show
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

I'm having trouble understanding the Alafia's stalker FCB.
    Whenever the stalker deals damage with deadly strikes, add 1/5 point of temporary essence to their essence pool. The stalker may assign them as a free action at this time. These points do not stack, and last for one minute.
    If I select it 5 times, I get one point every time I hit with Deadly Strikes active? Or only when I activate deadly strikes? If I select it 20 times, do I get 4 points of temporary essence, or still 1 because they don't stack? Every time I generate new points I can lose the old points and use the free action to invest the new points somewhere else?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tynansdtm View Post
    I'm having trouble understanding the Alafia's stalker FCB.

If I select it 5 times, I get one point every time I hit with Deadly Strikes active? Or only when I activate deadly strikes? If I select it 20 times, do I get 4 points of temporary essence, or still 1 because they don't stack? Every time I generate new points I can lose the old points and use the free action to invest the new points somewhere else?
    To answer what I intended:

1) you get the point whenever you hit with Deadly Strikes active
    2) you get 4 points
    3) yes, each time you activate it you can dump the old ones and use the free-action reassign.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Mehangel View Post
    Will that be strictly stated with the race, and if so any chance on including an alternate racial trait worded similiarly to the Aegis Customization such as:

Extra Passenger
    The atstreidi is exceptionally hollow and adept at shifting its armored shell to accommodate another. Atstreidi can carry one creature of the same size or smaller as the aegis’s base size (powers and effects that increase the atstreidi's size do not allow him to carry larger creatures). The carried creature is treated as if it has total concealment and he gains damage reduction/- equal to 1/2 the armor bonus of Armor Shell. The creature carried using this ability remains adjacent to the atstreidi and moves with the atstreidi’s move actions. A creature can be loaded and unloaded into the Armor Shell as a free action by the atstreidi, but the creature can take no actions until its next turn. This racial trait replaces naturally psionic and psionic aptitude.
    Any answer regarding that issue?