New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Surprise question

If a party successfully surprises a foe, why does he roll for initiative if he can't move even if he gets the highest roll?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: Surprise question

Quote Originally Posted by dnd2016 View Post
    If a party successfully surprises a foe, why does he roll for initiative if he can't move even if he gets the highest roll?
    It represents getting his crap together faster. He is then ready to use his reaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

"Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

Hours later...

"... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It also means that even if the assassin managed to get his surprise off he might not get to assassinate his foe, as he still needs to beat them on initiative.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Because after his turn he is no longer surprised.
    So if he gets surprised, and then he wins initiative, he goes first, can't act, is no longer surprised, and then the next person acts.
    Last edited by DivisibleByZero; 2016-08-28 at 03:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

If my players even surprise a foe (or are surprised), I give the surprising party one round of action before rolling initiative. Obviously there are some circumstances where this varies, such as if the whole party is far away and one member surprises an enemy, but otherwise its pretty straight forward the way i do it. I have been thinking about having everyone roll initiative first, but just having the surprised thing not able to use an action, but still get a possible reaction, but ultimately I've decided to just stick with what I've been doing.
    Lelouch vi Britannia by Gnomish Wanderer

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanthy1 View Post
    If my players even surprise a foe (or are surprised), I give the surprising party one round of action before rolling initiative. Obviously there are some circumstances where this varies, such as if the whole party is far away and one member surprises an enemy, but otherwise its pretty straight forward the way i do it. I have been thinking about having everyone roll initiative first, but just having the surprised thing not able to use an action, but still get a possible reaction, but ultimately I've decided to just stick with what I've been doing.
    It's awesome for your players when they have surprise and sucks for them when they don't. I'm sure the assassin likes it. Surprise is already pretty powerful. I don't really think it needs any more buffing.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

So any who are surprised cant take an action, reaction and attackers can move in and out of his square without an attack of opportunity?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

So any who are surprised cant take an action, reaction and attackers can move in and out of his square without an attack of opportunity?
    If they beat him in initiative, yes. They lose the action and movement on the first turn, but they do gain their use of reaction. So if you want to dance in without the risk of opportunity attacks, it would be wise to have high Dex, advantage on Dexterity checks, Alert, or any other way to improve your odds of having a higher initiative.
    Quote Originally Posted by krugaan
    All it takes is once:

"Grandpa, tells us that story about the Ricalison the Great again!"

Hours later...

"... and that, kids, is how he conquered the world with dancing lights."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I believe his question was directed at Zanthy1 and her home-brewed version of surprise.

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Essentially yeah. Why would a goblin get an attack of opportunity if he was quick hit in the back from an unknown aggressor? I play it like, the first surprise action is totally undetectable by said goblin, and the rest of the surprise round still happens, but by then the goblin would be able to do something, such as a reaction.
    Lelouch vi Britannia by Gnomish Wanderer

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I had a DM who thought surprise was way overpowered as it is. He would only ever let one person get an attack off before combat began with everyone getting actions. It was very frustrating for me when I would cast Pass without Trace, the primary purpose of which is to get a surprise round. He would 4shur hate your version. :)