New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast

Thread: Riverside 18

1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Riverside 18

[Xar'cha Residence]

Politics are always a tricky business to be in, Electra knows quite well, and can't blame the demon hunter for not wanting to be bothered with them when she can be doing more productive things. She chuckles when Ilpholin mentions the reason Stu gave for joining AMEN. She doesn't seem startled by the appearance of the robot spider; instead, she actually seems a bit more at ease.

"Ah, that should prove useful, thanks." She picks up the cup gently and sips the tea once Ilpholin has poured it, savoring the flavor for a moment before returning to the topic at hand. "What sort of work did you have him doing for AMEN before you left? Or, rather, do you know what he did for the group? I'm trying to determine how likely it might be for them to be backing his campaign, you see. I can't imagine any competent leader doing so given Stu's stated platform, but stranger things tend to happen here every day, and it never hurts to be cautious."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

[Xar'cha Residence]

"Stu is an immature **** up who spends more time catching himself on fire than anything. You don't have people like that doing things for you, not even when you want them to fail. Better to send a moderately competent person and teach them how to lose gracefully. I think the only thing I ever asked him to do was to stay out of the way. He was a loser back then and I sincerely doubt whatever amount of fertilizer he's gone through since then will have changed that. If someone at AMEN is backing him, they're backing the wrong horse. I guess they might if they're desperate enough." Ilpholin shrugs. It really depended on current leadership and she doesn't know who that is.

Ilpholin sips her own tea before leaning closer to Electra, stretching along the couch and providing an excellent view. "Surely a beautiful woman such as yourself can find more... appealing fruit to discuss than that wash up? You said you were new to the Nexus? Have you been... properly introduced to our ways yet?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

3. - Top - End - #393

NinjaGuy

[Xar'cha Residence]

Electra smiles appreciatively, taking another sip of her tea as she takes in the view Ilpholin is providing. Well, this seems to be taking an unexpected turn. Perhaps not an unwanted one, though.

"Indeed, I've only been here for..." She pauses, counting up the weeks, a bit surprised to find it's been nearly a couple of months. "A couple of months, if my calendar is correct, though I suspect it isn't, simply due to how time seems to distort here." She gives Ilpholin an inviting smile, leaning just a bit closer. "I can't say that I've had a formal introduction to the ways of the Nexus, but I've been getting along well enough so far. But if you'd like to give me one, I'm more than happy to learn."
    Why is it Plan A is always, "Get 'Em!" and Plan B is, "Cause as much collateral damage as possible"?

4. - Top - End - #394

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Moth Park]

No, Sticks is hardly an intimidating specimen. "I'm quite certain Sticks wouldn't deny you that, would he?" Vax seems quite content to take her time with this. There may be a demon bent on stopping them that could strike again at any moment, but she wouldn't let that hurry her. Though as Sticks said, it is very close to complete.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Moth Park]

"It can only help,"
    Sticks tells Zhareen, not disappointing either of them. "Grounding the spell in something that's for a very long time could make it more difficult for the demon to break free..." His voice warbles through the magical communicae, a wavering mass of soul energy. "How old is the tree?"
    [Moth Park]

"Very old, older than the park and likely most of Riverside." Zhareen replies. That is a very old tree. "It once contained wast powers, but was corrupted and thereafter destroyed." She is able to tell simply by touching the blackened stub. "The entire park likely formed around it."

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Slii Arhem View Post
    Lazy Afternoon

She lands as soon as the doors are open, moving over to the flowers immediately and giving them several deep inhales each as she completely ignores his presence. Moving from flower to flower, She buzzes thoughtfully under her breath, plucking at the instrument still hung around her neck in tune with the notes coming from her throat.

Suddenly, she sticks her face into one of the flowers and the bunny-man can see a quick hint of her tongue coming from between her lips, pushing into the center of its petals and rooting around within the plant's stamen curiously.

The Empress' Estate - Alva and Victor

"You would be surprised at some of the things I've forgotten. What is the phrase us old folks use? I've forgotten more about my casual acquaintances than you will ever know? A rather puzzling thing to brag about, an utter lack of knowledge eclipsing the field of someone else." Victor catches himself rambling with a cough, then smiles roguishly at the now fully revealed Alva. Well, perhaps not fully revealed.

"Still, perhaps it was another place and time. I appreciate your candor nonetheless." He subvocalizes with a respectful nod as he turns to his Empress and heeds her instructions politely, his arms held behind his back in a stance that brings to mind a ridiculously large and imposing butler, were it not for the scale of their surroundings.

"Of Course, my Empress. What terms are we permitted to negotiate with their leaders, or are the details within the papers themselves and for the mercenaries to review on their own?"

Lazy Afternoon

The scholar pales a bit when he sees the beewoman accosting his orchid, and he starts to sputter a bit as he tries to formulate some sort of response to tell her to stop, but he ends up sighing and sitting down heavily on the chair he had in the little greenhouse. "Not the bamboo orchid..." He whimpers quietly, watching and reaching up to tug on one of his lapine ears in distress.

The Empress' Estate - Victor and Alva

"I will leave the details in your hands, but they are to receive no more than fifteen percent of the taxes that the water will have imposed upon it for private land owners. Public sources will not have tax, but anyone seeking to tap into the aqueduct for their own private source will pay a tax dependent on the size of the piping used. If they insist, a small portion of crops that use water from this for irrigation will be set aside for them as well. Any other terms and conditions will be up to you two." The Empress explains before holding her left hand over her throne's arm rest and speaking. Pressure washes off of her for a moment as a chunk of metal is grown out of the throne and formed into two rings that she then offers them. "My signet and seal for when the deal is finished."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [The Empress' Estate - The Frescots]

"You're just a wee dainty thing, and the chair looked very heavy,"
    Adir murmurs back, flashing her a sidelong grin as he seats himself amidst their brood. He sets about gently snatching at hands and at least trying to instruct the children on how to proceed! Though he's undoubtedly much less strict at their own dinner table.

"Thank you,"
    he tells the elven guards. The Empress commands his attention again a moment later, and he mouths a little 'Oooh'. "I... see. Look, I'm sorry," he flicks a glance at the Godless. "Really. Um... Would ya like to know their names? The kids, I mean." He asks, perhaps of the whole room. He looks at the Empress and opens his hands. "Maybe the ladies could eat with us. Chatter a bit. Would that be okay?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post

The kids are quite good eaters, actually, and don't show the slightest hesitation toward eating vegetables. They can't with Sakura for a mother. Laela and Cern both are far too inclined to grab more than they could possibly eat, and while their parents are bound to be too busy with the younger kids to rein them in. At least Gywdion has some restraint.

"Oh, I'm so sorry." Sakura says. She couldn't imagine how terrible that would be. It's nice to see that her own kids bring some smile to their faces at least. "Yeah, they never got a proper introduction. Our oldest is Laela, then there's Cern and Gwydion right next to her." Sakura catches sight of the piles of food and gives disapproving looks. She'll deal with that soon. "Russell and Lucy are the two right here, and the youngest are Laurana and Cassie."

The Empress' Estate - The Frescots

The older of the two Godless turns to look at The Empress who merely nods. Glaahr and the older one whom Adir might recall to be Aldraza, Glaahr's mother. "They are beautiful children, truly." The older one says with a sincere smile as she and the other begin filling their own plates. Glaahr gives a nod as she chooses some of the more heavily spiced foods, but her mother seems to prefer the sweeter ones. "My name is Aldraza, matron of our tribe, and this is my daughter Glaahr." She says, providing introductions while the daughter gives a silent smile and a small wave to the children. "You did not offend us, huntsman, so do not fear. It was something that happened long ago and we have grown accustomed to it. We should not have, some would argue, but the worlds move on. We simply must move with them." She explains before giving a small smile when Glaahr looks up at The Empress for a moment.

"My handmaiden wishes to know if after dinner she would be permitted to whisk your children away for a moment to show them around while we talk of other matters."
    The Empress says, speaking for the elf for some reason. "Admittedly we do not have much in the way of entertainment for children, but many of The Godless have some tricks or music that might amuse them for some time."

6. - Top - End - #396
    Halfling in the Playground

[Moth Park]

"Very well,"
    Sticks says, swallowing nervously. "Ladies, I would like you to... to..." There is the sound of pages rapidly turning. "Join your hands around the tree. Create a circle with your arms."

"Now, let your strength flow freely and as one. Do not move, do not cease to speak except where I do. Repeat after me..."
    More pages turn. First comes several strange, evil syllables... a tongue difficult to mimic, but not impossible. Then, in Common, "Arioch, Lord of the Shadowed Spaces, Master of all that moves in the Pit..." Sticks' voice rises, trembling. "Arioch, lord of Gargoyles, King of Guardians, Keeper of Demons... Aid us now! We invoke this plea!"

"Arioch, with we two mortals as Conduit, makers of the Way, we give thee Souls! Your student Vargain, your beholden... He passes to you this tribute!"

Sticks performs some blasphemous act on his end... and a pillar of light rises up from the tree's blackened form. Beside the girls, suddenly, terrifyingly, the shadows of the nighted park begin to coalesce... and the slack, nauseating, alien form of Arioch writhes up from the ground to wrap his numberless limbs around the lighted pillar. Motes of energy fly from this strange beacon as Arioch's greasy 'arms' squeeze tight. Though Vax's inhuman physiology may protect her from the sudden, awful power of Arioch's presence, Zhareen may feel sick to the point of collapse. Even bearing witness to the alien presence is a strain on the mind.

"Arioch, bind this upstart! We beseech Arioch, with this supplication,"
    pages audibly fly in Sticks hands, his voice trembling but strong. "Let no evil spirit escape this circle... this ring, now Closed! May the soil, stone, the River become a prison! Arioch! Arioch!" A thunderclap comes through Sticks' communicae, and the wavering pillar of spiritual jelly near the girls suddenly ceases to be. Not Arioch... oh, no, the hellish being pulsates as it feeds on Sticks' offering. Then, from the direction of the city center, Sticks' voice carries across the impossible distance... "Arioch!"

Provided there has been no failure in the recitation, no breaking of the circle, and no interference from the fear-eater, a much larger circle of power springs into being... this time around almost the entire city, a sectioned semi-visible wall rising high into the sky. The mundane people of Riverside will see it for but an instant... a flickering, translucent barrier stretching away from and around them, enclosing the town like a tremendous cage of pure magical Force. It then fades from sight... though those with a mystical inclination and the will or extra-sensory perception to look will still be able to see the demon-cage, connected as it is by the points of the great circle which Sticks, Zhareen, Vax and their allies erected this same night.

"There,"
    comes Sticks voice, like a man speaking into a static-y radio. He sounds strained. Arioch has disappeared, provided neither of the girls collapsed from his presence, bursting into a thousand tiny bat-winged creatures that flutter away to the east. The wavering conglomerate spirit transmitting Sticks' voice wavers back into being, just for a moment. "Return to my shop. We'll end this there. But this creature will go no further, even if we should fail."

With that, it's master's power momentarily spent, the commune-spectre winks out of existence once again.

Following this, evil spirits, magical monsters and demonic entities may find it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to leave Riverside. It is as though a solid barrier blocks their departure. Similar creatures may feel a tug or a repulsion as they try to depart the city's borders... except via the River itself.

"...Y'know my... my father used to say something like that..."
    Adir says, rubbing at his mouth then pointing at Aldraza. He looks like he's sifting through cloudy memories. "The worlds have moved on. Funny."

Further remarking is stopped by Glaahr's meaningful look, and Adir glances toward the Empress as well. Adir looks slightly surprised. "Uh..." He shoots Sakura a glance, then looks back up at the Empress. "Would... it be alright if they maybe stayed near us? Just the next couple of rooms? They're in a, uh, strange place and all..."

Adir's a little afraid to admit he's paranoid. Besides, it's a natural fatherly instinct... as much as he would like to trust the Empress and her servants, he still doesn't really know them.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah, they're still so young. I don't really want them too far away." Laela is getting old enough that she can be a bit more independent, but the rest not so much. "Laurana and Cassie can't really be away from us either. But uh, yeah. Otherwise it's probably fine."

8. - Top - End - #398
    Barbarian in the Playground

[The Empress' Estate - Victor and Alva]

Victor was given a quick grin before turning and half-leaning on her staff as she listened to the Empress' words. He seemed fun, all said.

Taking a signet ring, Alva only paused for a moment before making a minor inqiury. "So.. I had a thought. Could we also be provided with some strong spirits as well? The, uh, alcoholic kind, I mean." she asked. "I think it might prove favorable as either a gift or maybe to at least loosen a few lips in this case." she added. Plus it would be an interesting story, trading wine for water.
    Last edited by Terumitsu; 2017-01-15 at 09:25 PM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Orc in the Playground

[Toy Tinker]

A figure advances toward the shop. Dressed in a heavy coat and hat and with an all-concealing featureless black mask and gloves, not an inch is exposed. The figure stops in the street, heedless of any danger, and holds out a hand toward the building, palm raised and pointing towards it. When this being speaks, it sounds rough and unnatural, like a crude and loud imitation of natural speech. The clearest thing about it is that it does at least sound male.

"Someone thinks they can lock me in."

Cars swerve and blare their horns as they try to pass by, a few crashing nearby as they dodge smashing into the man. Then it gets worse.

Tiny razor-blade like shards start materializing in the air around this figure in huge numbers, small white miniature force constructs increasing in number excessively. Soon there's going to be a pretty big jam as everyone has to find detours or drive straight into the floating swarm of force-razors. Fortunately, this guy walking into the middle of the street already derailed everything, so people don't drive straight into it. Not that it's any comfort for those that have already crashed. Nothing further happens immediately, only the shards growing ever more in number.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

The Empress' Estate - The Frescots

"There is a modestly labyrinthine library and a stable with a few docile beasts in it they can look at and pet if they feel like it. They are in adjoining rooms."
    The Empress offers. "I do not see any reason for the youngest to depart however. I have the sense that perhaps you two have already discussed what this is about, but I had wished to go over the ritual involved. As much as I seek to have your husband be in my service, I am not a ruler who would seek to force others into servitude, let alone without the weight of their spouse's words on the matter."

Moth Park

The demon lurks close by when the newcomer seems to materialize in the air and for several long moments it is...confused by what the being is doing. It doesn't seem to be targeting the fear demon directly, so was its instincts in error? Had it misjudged and misapplied its sense of self-preservation? Even if it can't give voice to such thoughts in any truly intelligent manner, it hesitated as it tried to understand what was going on and how best it could interfere.

By the time it understood however, it was all too late and it could feel the barrier come crashing down upon the city, trapping it within.

At once a mighty howl wracks the air, splitting through both light and darkness in equal measure as it raged like a beast with its back to a corner. Like most beings presented with being trapped and attacked, it lashed out in fury and desperation. As its rage manifests, Vax, Zhareen, and their guards will feel copper upon their tongues and smell acid on the air before a great tendril born of umbra blackness sweeps through the air. It will pass through them to try and crash into the mighty tree, intent on its destruction. It didn't understand much, but it knew that this thing served to bar it somehow. As the thick tendril sweeps through them, the party will feel bone-numbing chill creep through their limbs and into their core, leaving their clothing coated in frost while their ears buzz with the sounds of swarming flies. The taste will get stronger and start to warp to be that of blood. Should any spit to get rid of their rapidly increasing saliva, they'll see that it is indeed tinged with red with flecks of white squirming as it hits the ground...

11. - Top - End - #401
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Eastside]

Somewhere near city hall, a mayor's eye is caught by the magical wall going up.

"Clear my calendar for a bit."

A little while later, the Mayor and the mayor's new, improved, not-in-jail-for-kidnapping-chauffeur are out at the eastern edge, and Amyria is poking at the barrier with an increasingly unhappy expression.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Eclipse View Post
    [Xar'cha Residence]

Electra smiles appreciatively, taking another sip of her tea as she takes in the view Ilpholin is providing. Well, this seems to be taking an unexpected turn. Perhaps not an unwanted one, though.

"Indeed, I've only been here for..." She pauses, counting up the weeks, a bit surprised to find it's been nearly a couple of months. "A couple of months, if my calendar is correct, though I suspect it isn't, simply due to how time seems to distort here." She gives Ilpholin an inviting smile, leaning just a bit closer. "I can't say that I've had a formal introduction to the ways of the Nexus, but I've been getting along well enough so far. But if you'd like to give me one, I'm more than happy to learn."
    [Xar'cha Residence]

"It sounds to me..." Ilpholin says, sitting up and leaning forward to match Electra's position, all but destroying the gap between them. "That you just don't know what you've been missing. Let me show you." The nymph starts the lesson by moving those last few inches to deliver an intoxicating kiss to Electra's lips. If Electra seems receptive to being kissed, pheromones begin to gently waft outwards from Ilpholin.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2017-01-16 at 04:03 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

13. - Top - End - #403

[DMside]

It has been quiet around here. People have put away their thanksmas decorations and the streets have been cleared as well. Normal days life has come back. Then the strange wall appeared. People got no idea what is happening and many of them start to panic. The last time something visible happened many people got killed. The streets clear in an blink of an eye, leaving only the patroling robots on it. The peolpe in charge don#t have a clue as well, so they listen to the radio and any other electronic communikation. whoever set this up might appear on any of them.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ettin in the Playground

[Near Toy Tinker]

General chaos, check. Creatures made out of monochrome force energy causing trouble, check. People screaming in terror as they suffered from various awful fates, check.

It was like he had never left home.

Through a portal that looked like something straight out of Doom a giant of a man would step through, standing at nearly 2 and a half meters tall with a physique best described as "Brick Wall" and clad in a green shirt with a billowing black jacket that seemed to writhe and shift constantly with his movement complimented by the gleaming gold skull belt buckle he wore with what looked like a utility knife jammed into the center Leon Vanderblight would step through from his world and into the Nexus.

Taking a look around he knew very well that he didn't know a damn thing about any of the people here, if there was an ongoing war he had just stepped in on, or hell even if this may actually be a crusade of Justice against someone's oppressors. Whistling as he'd walk along he'd pay no heed to the force monstrosities unless they started coming after him, Leon at the moment just familiarizing himself with the area. He wasn't here to cause anyone trouble after all, if some evil marauding bastard was getting his jollies off here then he wasn't going to stand in his way. He had a few skeletons in his own closet, and he'd dealt with razor blade wielding maniacs in his own time so he understood that the obviously homicidal usually had their reasons.
    Last edited by Fan; 2017-01-16 at 02:28 PM.

15. - Top - End - #405

NinjaGuy

[Xar'cha Residence]

Electra seems receptive to the kiss, even enjoying herself, for a brief moment, but abruptly pulls away, sitting back and turning her head slightly away, though Ilpholin can see she's wearing an expression caught somewhere between being flustered and annoyed. Her irises are glowing softly, and though her mouth is closed, her jaw seems to be working, as though she's grinding her teeth, or perhaps trying to keep from yelling at someone. After a moment, the glow fades, and she looks back to Ilpholin with an apologetic expression.

"I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to take a rain check. A client just arrived at my place, and they're insisting it's an emergency." There's some reluctance in her voice, as though she really doesn't want to go. She gives Ilpholin an apologetic smile. "Perhaps we can resume sometime soon?"

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UncleWolf View Post
    Moth Park

The demon lurks close by when the newcomer seems to materialize in the air and for several long moments it is...confused by what the being is doing. It doesn't seem to be targeting the fear demon directly, so was its instincts in error? Had it misjudged and misapplied its sense of self-preservation? Even if it can't give voice to such thoughts in any truly intelligent manner, it hesitated as it tried to understand what was going on and how best it could interfere.

By the time it understood however, it was all too late and it could feel the barrier come crashing down upon the city, trapping it within.

At once a mighty howl wracks the air, splitting through both light and darkness in equal measure as it raged like a beast with its back to a corner. Like most beings presented with being trapped and attacked, it lashed out in fury and desperation. As its rage manifests, Vax, Zhareen, and their guards will feel copper upon their tongues and smell acid on the air before a great tendril born of umbra blackness sweeps through the air. It will pass through them to try and crash into the mighty tree, intent on its destruction. It didn't understand much, but it knew that this thing served to bar it somehow. As the thick tendril sweeps through them, the party will feel bone-numbing chill creep through their limbs and into their core, leaving their clothing coated in frost while their ears buzz with the sounds of swarming flies. The taste will get stronger and start to warp to be that of blood. Should any spit to get rid of their rapidly increasing saliva, they'll see that it is indeed tinged with red with flecks of white squirming as it hits the ground...
    [Moth Park]

Vax only has to see it manifest physically to realize what the demon was trying to do. A move born of pure desperation. Pathetic.

She steps forward as the tendril passes through their guards. Her spell fails them at the direct touch of the demon and they quail. Vax's hand shoots up, carrying the simplest of pact bounds. It was a light, shining brightly. It carries no power beyond that, but often in magic symbolism is more powerful than truth. Then she quite simply holds out her hand to block the tendril from going any further. Without fear she confronts the demon of fear.

Vax is willing to bet life and limb that this isn't a misstep. She doesn't care how powerful this demon is, its kind aren't meant to be physical brutes. It needs them to cower and tremble if it really wants to confront them this way, and Vax is far more accustomed to inspiring fear than giving into it.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Halfling in the Playground

"We had hoped for... just the same thing, Empress,"
    Adir begins. "And I appreciate your considerations. I know my wife did have questions." The stag glances at his dryad. "I mean, I did too. Like... if we could know more about what the job entails?" Adir supposes discussion of the ritual itself will wait till after dinner.

[The Toy Tinker]

The stranger setting cars to crash in the street garners Sticks' attention. The entity will easily perceive as the Tinker's door swings in, and out steps tall Sticks, wrapped in his patchwork cloak, carrying what seems to be a small oaken rod cut deep with writhing runes.

"Now... now see here! I know-- I know why it is you're here! I can see what's inside... what you're hiding!"
    Sticks calls out, treating the spirit with extreme caution. His eyes flicker around to the crashed, smoking vehicles. There isn't a thing he can do for them. His trembling, tremulous voice struggles to remain straight. He descends the stairs, his feet wrapped in sigil-inked cloth, the ends of his cloak dragging. His blue-skinned half-metal face glints and glistens.

He looks unassuming and inoffensive, standing there, a skinny, ugly little reed. The wind tugs at his garments. "I beseech you, spirit: have mercy. Patience. What's been done, it's been done because there was no other choice."
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

[Xar'cha Residence]

Electra seems receptive to the kiss, even enjoying herself, for a brief moment, but abruptly pulls away, sitting back and turning her head slightly away, though Ilpholin can see she's wearing an expression caught somewhere between being flustered and annoyed. Her irises are glowing softly, and though her mouth is closed, her jaw seems to be working, as though she's grinding her teeth, or perhaps trying to keep from yelling at someone. After a moment, the glow fades, and she looks back to Ilpholin with an apologetic expression.

"I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to take a rain check. A client just arrived at my place, and they're insisting it's an emergency." There's some reluctance in her voice, as though she really doesn't want to go. She gives Ilpholin an apologetic smile. "Perhaps we can resume sometime soon?"
    [Xar'cha Residence]

Ilpholin pulls back, a disappointed frown on her face, for a brief moment thinking Electra was flustered and annoyed with Ilpholin for some reason. It takes a moment to realize there was some secret communication occurring.

"Ah. Of course. I understand," Ilpholin says, forcing a smile. "You're welcome to return whenever you wish. You know where to find me."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

19. - Top - End - #409
    Orc in the Playground

[The Toy Tinker]

The number of shards stops growing for a moment, though they are pointedly not going away as the phantom tilts his head and lowers his arm slightly. The voice comes again. "I don't need your pretentious pleading. Explain, now, in plain language. No mystic **** I won't get."

What an irreverent spirit.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

20. - Top - End - #410

Default [Eastside Border]

The mayor is poking at the magical wall. Yep, there's definitely some pressure there.

The driver is strolling back and forth through the air, wondering if they ought to make a comment about mimes.

A tap? Not-so-solid. Maybe moving quick?

Yep, just like that the mayor has crossed over to the other side.

Maybe it's a sort of shield? No, a lightning strike goes straight through it from the outside.

"Curious. I haven't seen anything quite like it. Start the car back up, we'll go looking."
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-01-17 at 09:57 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #411

[Moth Park]

Zhareen gulps as she sees Vax facing off with the demon, yet she does not come to her aid. Vax knew what she was doing, and she trusted her decisions. Instead, she starts channeling a particular spirit that she had been holding off until now. She only needed a moment, and that moment her wife was going to give her.
    The soldiers considers their options and form a line around the two warlocks, if the demon attacked in other manners, it would have to go through them first.

22. - Top - End - #412

Northside Border

A perfectly ordinary woman in a purple raincoat sits at a bus stop, reading a newspaper. She periodically glances at the invisible magical barrier, taps at some sort of hearing aid in her ear and mumbles something about a man named George from Liverpool. Nothing too out of the ordinary, certainly not within the Nexus. Her disguise would probably be a little bit more believable if it was still sunny enough to read, or if it was actually raining out, however.

Eastside Border

Another individual with a similar earpiece talks about a man named Paul. Maybe it's a bluetooth device? I mean, most of MagCorp abandoned the Nexus years ago, when the earpiece was just starting to rise in popularity, so Magtooth devices aren't terribly common these days. Anyways, this guy's dressed up in a dirty brown trenchcoat, feeding bread to a gaggle of geese in a park, taking care to maintain a healthy distance from the waterfowl. He doesn't know if these ones have lasers, but better safe than sorry.

Westside Border

A man in Victorian finery stands by the side of the road, leaning against the magical barrier. He's got a small, grungy piece of cardboard in his hands, with 'Will Work For Blood' written in permanent marker. He too, has an earpiece he keeps talking to, about John, specifically. When he's not busy shouting profanities at people who drive by, that is. He's not an addict, he's not a monster, and let's see you try to find a business that takes in homeless vampires in this economy, buddy. Oh, and the sign says 'blood,' you stupid idiot. Two MagDollars isn't going to help him contain his homicidal parasitic cravings.

Southside Border

Southside's agent is much less covert. No real need to blend in here, since hardly anyone cares about this part of the city. AMEN might not occupy the area anymore, but the scars are still there. Its intentions to occupy the region were known, and its citizens acted accordingly. There are still desolate pockets of empty space, where homes have sat abandoned and forgotten. A steel-eyed man in a white military uniform with purple half-cape hardly stands out at all. He doesn't even bother mumbling into his earpiece, because again, who's going to hear him?

"Liverpool, this is Ringo-1. We've located the metaphysical barrier. The containment field appears sturdy, but not insurmountable. Dispelling the entire field would take time, but if we deploy counter-magicka ordinance to sever the Hartford-Bordesley leyline, we could-"

"Negative, Ringo-1. Magic of this scale makes people take notice. Someone punching a hole in the dome's going to do the same. We don't need that kind of attention. Insofar as the Nexus is concerned, we do not exist."

"Understood. Yoko's not going to be happy to hear that, though."

"Yoko's going to have to deal. We can't risk the publicity. Besides, Yoko doesn't have any important work that needs doing anyways; they can wait it out a few days. If we still don't have an answer within a week, I'll set up a quest and we'll have the locals sort it out."

"Fair enough. I'll be in Inside when you need me. Over and out."
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

23. - Top - End - #413

NinjaGuy

[Xar'cha Residence]

"Thanks." Electra stands, offering Ilpholin another apologetic smile and nods, making sure to pick up the DVD, before showing herself out reluctantly. This is something she wasn't counting on, and she hurries back towards her residence, her step quickened further by the rain shower that seems to have started while she was chatting with the demon huntress.

[Electra's Apartment - The Watchers]

Those assigned by the General to watch Electra's comings and goings from her apartment might note an odd figure showing up shortly after she arrived at the Xar'Cha Residence. The figure seems to be someone of female build wearing a cloak-like robe and hood. Attempts to penetrate the cloak with thermal vision fail, and more alarmingly, the only physical feature discernible from underneath the hood are a pair of startling red eyes. The figure knocks at the door, and is let in by the same robot who greeted the General earlier. As the figure enters Electra's apartment, it begins to rain. A short while later, Electra herself arrives, and hurries inside, looking somewhat annoyed.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ogre in the Playground

Southside Border

It hadn't been a good day for Gemini. There was the thing with the milk maid and pitchfork, and now she'd learned the hard way that one does not simply lift a tipped over cargo truck of alchemical regents without repercussions. Now that she was sailing through the air, smoldering with her Star Force uniform torn and smoldering, she couldn't help but start thinking that mayhaps it would have been best to let proper authorities handle that last one.

The explosion, while small, had been rather impressive up close.

Oh. Hey. An Innocent. I really should try to avoid him when I hit the ground. That'd probably be messy.
    She thinks to herself as she starts trying to twist her body in mid-air to angle away from the Innocent Bystander...

Said bystander, Ringo-1, might suddenly find an orange blur smashing through the pavement a few meters away, kicking up a large cloud of dust. Inside the crater, he'll see a young woman. She'd probably be rather tall if she weren't dazed and in the ground from the force of impact. She looked to be in her late teens, early 20s at the oldest, and had short light brown hair. She appeared to be wearing a skirted uniform rather akin to a Sailor's outfit(orange and light brown in color), and she sported a pair of very oversized gauntlets appearing to be made out of orange light. Her left one clutched a small winged wand, but it was probably a poor idea to try and take it if she was capable of surviving such an impact. Right on her chest is the astral sign for Gemini. "Halp." She says, trying to focus her vision but only resulting in her head falling back with a groan.

Moth Park

Even though it found its tendril blocked in its crude attempt at brute force, fear is insidious. As soon as its blow is stopped, the tendril curls around, trying to wrap around its interloper as the ground near by begins to crack and raise up. Something massive was coming up from below, and it was likely using a lot of the fear demon's power to manifest such. To manifest this way, it must truly be desperate, but it would be a double-edged sword. Even though it could easily be struck against now, it could just as easily strike back...

25. - Top - End - #415

Southside Border

Ringo-1 dives for cover behind a nearby sedan, a heavy, brutish-looking sidearm sliding out from underneath the half-cape and into his left hand in a flash. It vanishes back into its underarm holster only a moment later, when he realizes there's a body in that crater, and nobody's actually trying to shoot him. "Liverpool, be advised, we have a...a magical girl crash landing," he reports, with a measure of self-consciousness. Did he really just say that?

"A Mahou Shoujo Madoka Meteorite?"

"...Yeah sure, whatever." Ringo-1 shakes his head. Frankly, he's just impressed Command didn't call it a Code Pink Sherbet or Code Quinacridone Magenta. Something stupid and pseudo-military like that. These stupid spy games were beginning to grate on his nerves. I mean really, Ringo-1? Who the hell assigns codenames like that?

"Right, not our problem. Get out of there before she sees you, Ringo-1. Call an ambulance if you have to, b-BZZT." No, enough of that. The agent shuts off his earpiece and approaches the girl. Command can go screw itself; someone just smashed their head against the pavement hard enough to leave a crater. They did this in the bad part of an especially bad town, no less. Superpowers or not, that's never a good sign.

"Miss, I know asking this might win me the Stupid Question of the Year award, but are you alright?" First things first, better find out if she's still breathing and speaking and conscious. He makes a conscious effort to not try to pick her up out of the hole in the ground. It's hard to tell how bad her injuries are from here; moving the body might do more harm than good. Probably nothing too serious, since magic is involved, but let's not make any hasty assumptions and accidentally kill a girl.
    Last edited by Lord Magtok; 2017-01-17 at 09:16 PM.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ogre in the Playground

Southside Border

It takes her a few moments, but the young lady finally focuses enough to speak and look around. "I...I think I'm doing okay." She admits, looking at her crater before grabbing the lip with one gauntleted hand and pulling herself up with fair ease. Her outfit is shredded in places, but she's still clothed decently enough to be allowed in public. "Thanks for asking though. How about you, are you ok-" She starts to ask before looking at the man and staring. She stares for several long seconds before looking away, blushing slightly. "Are you okay yourself? I'm not quite sure where I landed, but I was worried I'd hurt someone in the process."

After she composes herself, she turns back around on her heel, leans forward with a smile and offers her hand to him, gauntlet and all. "And pleasure to meet you. Call me Gemini." She explains, introducing herself while using the hand holding the wand to adjust her tiger's eye tiara.

27. - Top - End - #417

Southside Border
    Name name name name she wants a name but we don't have a name panic panic panic

The agent shakes her hand, feeling monumentously lucky and grateful that most cultures shake with the right, not the left. "It's...Halton. I'm fine, but listen, if you were doing some kind of magical true-seeing a moment ago, just...forget whatever you saw." Halton, calm down. Honestly, this is your best spy talk? If she has that kind of power and wasn't using it, you kinda just gave her every excuse in the world to use it on you now.

"Also, if you could just follow my finger with your eyes for a moment, make sure your head is okay." Even magical girls can get concussions! Plus, it'll give us a moment or two of silence, to figure out how to get the hell out of here and disentangle ourselves from this situation before she asks any more questions about why an unknown paramilitary organization has an officer scouting the Riverside border.
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

28. - Top - End - #418

Eastside Border

Another individual with a similar earpiece talks about a man named Paul. Maybe it's a bluetooth device? I mean, most of MagCorp abandoned the Nexus years ago, when the earpiece was just starting to rise in popularity, so Magtooth devices aren't terribly common these days. Anyways, this guy's dressed up in a dirty brown trenchcoat, feeding bread to a gaggle of geese in a park, taking care to maintain a healthy distance from the waterfowl. He doesn't know if these ones have lasers, but better safe than sorry.
    Welcome to Eastside! Enjoy the parks.

Southside Border

Southside's agent is much less covert. No real need to blend in here, since hardly anyone cares about this part of the city. AMEN might not occupy the area anymore, but the scars are still there. Its intentions to occupy the region were known, and its citizens acted accordingly. There are still desolate pockets of empty space, where homes have sat abandoned and forgotten. A steel-eyed man in a white military uniform with purple half-cape hardly stands out at all. He doesn't even bother mumbling into his earpiece, because again, who's going to hear him?
    Oh look! It's hardly anyone!
    Sometimes people are obviously secret agents.
    Sometimes people fall out of the sky.
    These are both worth looking into alone, and when they happen together...

I'm not saying a bundle of guys in red military uniforms suddenly show up. But I am saying you can probably see them sauntering this way.

Those assigned by the General to watch Electra's comings and goings from her apartment might note an odd figure showing up shortly after she arrived at the Xar'Cha Residence. The figure seems to be someone of female build wearing a cloak-like robe and hood. Attempts to penetrate the cloak with thermal vision fail, and more alarmingly, the only physical feature discernible from underneath the hood are a pair of startling red eyes. The figure knocks at the door, and is let in by the same robot who greeted the General earlier. As the figure enters Electra's apartment, it begins to rain. A short while later, Electra herself arrives, and hurries inside, looking somewhat annoyed.
    Poor Electra. Guests always seem to arrive at the worst time.

Across the street, a watcher is finally relieved of the tedium of this job, and lowers the binoculars a little, picks up a radio and a pen. 'Everyone has to do field work' indeed. "We got something. Woman in a hood, heatproof, glowing red eyes."
    "..."
    "Yeah, I can get a closer look."

Many items are exchanged with those scattered across the desk.
    A minute and a half later, someone unscrews an exterior air vent on Electra's building and crawls inside. Left-left-down-second right, was it?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Southside Border

"Hm?" Gemini asks as she starts following the finger. "Oh. No. No worries. I've taken boulders to the head before. I always feel the pain, but nothing ever breaks. I've gotten used to it." She admits, eyes still moving. "What's a Remnant Officer doing out here anyway? I mean, I thought you guys got disbanded or absorbed or something in Inside." She asks, sounding a bit confused. "And nah, I can't see Truth or X-Ray vision or anything like that. I mean, I'm a fair judge of character but mostly it's strength and toughness and a snazzy uniform." Yeah, sure. As if that's HALF of what's going on, "Gemini". Still, at least you're concentrating on that finger instead of that nice drool-worthy steely figure of his. She thinks to herself.

Unfortunately for Halton, it is Gemini who has her back to the guys in red uniforms. He'll have to be the one to explain they have newcomers.

30. - Top - End - #420

NinjaGuy

The watcher quickly finds their way to an air vent that vents into Electra's apartment. As they get closer to a vent that's towards the living room, they can start to hear snippets of conversation.

"...don't know.....who are you?" That's clearly Electra, sounding both annoyed and suspicious. Never a good combo.

"...surpised...forgotten me. But then, I have changed in the years we've not seen each other." That must be the visitor, a strange tone that's neither male nor female, and yet has a strange reverberation to it, as though the person is using a voice changer.

"What are you talking about? I don't know you. You told Ray you had a job, an urgent job that couldn't wait, even for the conclusion of another operation." From the way her voice shifts slightly in pitch, it seems Electra is pacing back and forth in front of the vent. Anger has started to replace the annoyance in her voice. "And now when I get here you start with that out-dated code. Now you're babbling about knowing me, but I don't recognize you. Normally, I wouldn't care who you are, but in this instance," There's a mechanical and electronic clicking and thrumming noise. "I really must insist you take that get-up off. Slowly."

The watcher is now close enough that it's obvious which vents goes out into the living room, if the watcher wishes to both see and hear the conversation.