New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Steven UnIVerse: 4shadowing

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    While I agree, I don't think he so much gave up his dream as chose a better one.
    Fair enough. Though hanging out with the Gems is probably more stressful than the life of a rock star. ;)
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #362
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Don't have a barn full of interesting junk though. I'd totally want one.
    Can have lot's of fun with one of those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Isn't Greg also fabulously wealthy (or at least was)? He hardly got the short end of the stick here.
    That's a recent thing--he only got his ten million Dollar Royalty Check at the beginning of the Summer Adventures Bomb(and only because Marty was legally obligated to give it to him.) Prior to then he was either mooching or begging, or living off of his paycheck/profits from the carwash, with the implication being that most of his money went to making sure Steven had food, books, and toys.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Recently started to watch the show.
    Since I'm only getting close to the end of the first season, I'll probably not join this thread to avoid spoilers, but I just had to ask two questions:

1) Why didn't we have shows like this when I was a kid?
    2) I won't say every episode is perfect, but in most of them they manage to insert a complete short story, character development, and/or world building element in only 10 minutes, and it usually doesn't feel rushed.
    HOW?!

Really impressed with this show so far.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    Since I'm only getting close to the end of the first season, I'll probably not join this thread to avoid spoilers, but I just had to ask two questions:

2) I won't say every episode is perfect, but in most of them they manage to insert a complete short story, character development, and/or world building element in only 10 minutes, and it usually doesn't feel rushed.
    HOW?!

Really impressed with this show so far.
    The key largely seems to be a high level of artist control rather than studio control combined with a genuine passion for the show that the creators put into every episode. So instead of being a production made purely for the money by a studio executive, it's made by artists who want to make something good.
    Hazama avatar by me. Other avatars that I've made:
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

5. - Top - End - #365

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Can have lot's of fun with one of those.
    Pshaw, I'd have my own Robot Wars thing going on. :D

with the implication being that most of his money went to making sure Steven had food, books, and toys.
    A quality of parenting done right in my opinion. Though really the most important part is spending time with Steven. And I love how understanding Greg is, being patient with his son and trying to explain things in a way that isn't babying him.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

6. - Top - End - #366

A quality of parenting done right in my opinion. Though really the most important part is spending time with Steven. And I love how understanding Greg is, being patient with his son and trying to explain things in a way that isn't babying him.
    I'd said it before, but Greg is doing very, very well by Cartoon Standards.

He loves Steven unconditionally("I'm a monster!" "No your not, your my son!") and is always there when Steven needs him. He's at about average intelligence or greater, which doen'st sound like much but, well, you've seen most Cartoon Dads.

Off the top of your head, name two other cartoon dads who have all three of those things going for them. Bet you can't

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #367

well, you've seen most Cartoon Dads.
    The one thing I fault World of Gumball for is that their dad is an idiot. If he were just quirky instead of dumb, it would be a fantastic silly show.

Off the top of your head, name two other cartoon dads who have all three of those things going for them. Bet you can't
    It is a really limited list. The dads that come close to Greg would probably be Professor Utonium, Stu Pickles, and... maybe Bob Belcher? (I've only seen 2 episodes of Bob's burgers and he seemed pretty decent father in those).
    Digo Dragon - Artist

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The one thing I fault World of Gumball for is that their dad is an idiot. If he were just quirky instead of dumb, it would be a fantastic silly show.
    Well yeah, he's dumb, but the show takes that and really explores the implications. The family doesn't trust him with anything, the mother is constantly teetering on the edge of madness, and he knows that he isn't smart, and doesn't try to be smart. They even explore how he ended up that way: his mother was so completely overprotective when he was a child that he never developed the capacity to figure things out for himself.

But at the end of the day, he does love his family, which is why he is still in the picture.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #369

The dads that come close to Greg would probably be Professor Utonium, Stu Pickles, and... maybe Bob Belcher? (I've only seen 2 episodes of Bob's burgers and he seemed pretty decent father in those).
    Bob Belcher is a very good example - he's definitely not the "lazy fat guy gets cheap laughs" breed of cartoon family dads that was popularized by Homer Simpson. He's self-absorbed in other ways, but he is at least dutiful to his family.

When they are not dead, missing, or evil (and sometimes even then!) anime parents can be pretty decent. Minato from Naruto, for example. But they also usually deal with teenage or grown-up children, which is a different kind of dynamic.

Greg is also an interesting contrast to the dad from Rebecca Sugar's previous show, Adventure Time. Finn's dad is pretty much the worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

So, it's typically depicted in live-action rather then Cartoon. but can i throw Gomez Addams into the ring? His children literally COULD be monsters and he'd still love them unconditionally.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #371

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    but can i throw Gomez Addams into the ring?
    It's Gomez Addams. He'd throw himself into the ring and request a rapier.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

12. - Top - End - #372

So, it's typically depicted in live-action rather then Cartoon. but can i throw Gomez Addams into the ring? His children literally COULD be monsters and he'd still love them unconditionally.
    That hardly counts. The whole thing with the Adams is that, well, they're creepy, insane, and might be monsters literally or figuratively depending on the incarnation, but they're also some of the most genuinely nice and kind people you'll meet and an Ideal Family in spite, or perhaps because, of their scariness.

Seriously, Adams Family Values, a black widow killer literally has them tied up in electric chairs set high enough to actually kill the invincible Adamses and is narrating her little "oh woe is me" bull crap excuse for why she's a serial killer.

The Adams not only fully believe her backstory, but are fully sympathetic to her as she gives it as she's trying to actually kill them, and when she dies they bury her in the family cemetery even though they knew full well that she only married into the family for the money and was planning to murder them.

...God Damn it, now I want an Adams Family/Steven Universe Crossover.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

New Adams family was by far the best IMHO. then again it was the first one i ever saw, so i might be biased.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #374

...God Damn it, now I want an Adams Family/Steven Universe Crossover.
    "Oh, I do love your dress. Suited for combat AND stylish. Though I believe it needs more black. Though I do love the...avant-garde look"

"TRISH! That's FRENCH!"

*Pearl covers Steven's face*

15. - Top - End - #375
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    "Oh, I do love your dress. Suited for combat AND stylish. Though I believe it needs more black. Though I do love the...avant-garde look"

"TRISH! That's FRENCH!"

*Pearl covers Steven's face*
    Oh, lord, please, somebody make a tumblr about this.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

It is a really limited list. The dads that come close to Greg would probably be Professor Utonium, Stu Pickles, and... maybe Bob Belcher? (I've only seen 2 episodes of Bob's burgers and he seemed pretty decent father in those).
    The old power puff girls were great

17. - Top - End - #377
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Oh, lord, please, somebody make a tumblr about this.
    Poor Steven covering in terror was Wednesday Addams. Pgusly probably joining in.

Lion, Lurch, Thing, and/or cousin it all kind of hanging out with one annother.

... ... ... Granmama flirting with Greg?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #378

Forget Steven - I want to see Onion have a go at the Addamses.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

That's a little unfair. We did have things like Magic Roundabout (Thompson translation), Danger Mouse, Les Shadocks (or, as I knew it, Shadoks and Gibis). There have always been shows where effort was put in, and shows where it ... wasn't.

He loves Steven unconditionally("I'm a monster!" "No your not, your my son!") and is always there when Steven needs him. He's at about average intelligence or greater, which doen'st sound like much but, well, you've seen most Cartoon Dads.

Agreed. The huge irony is that each time I see him I think of Homer Simpson... Something about the visual style.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Forget Steven - I want to see Onion have a go at the Addamses.
    i'd imagine he gets along amazingly well with them. i'd say he could be a cousin of theirs, but i rather doubt yellowtail is related to them at all
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #381

i'd imagine he gets along amazingly well with them. i'd say he could be a cousin of theirs, but i rather doubt yellowtail is related to them at all
    I don't know, with that beard and the gibberish he speaks... He could be part of It's branch of the family.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Baloo from Tailspin is a pretty good father figure most of the time (from what I remember). Might be cheating to go so far back, though.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a little unfair. We did have things like Magic Roundabout (Thompson translation), Danger Mouse, Les Shadocks (or, as I knew it, Shadoks and Gibis). There have always been shows where effort was put in, and shows where it ... wasn't.
    Maybe you are right, but when I look back at shows I can remember as a kid, it's usually things that even if they effort, their main goal was still to sell toys rather than tell a story.

BTW, did a marathon of episodes to finish the first season yesterday.
    I only wish "mature" shows had half the effort, passion and dedication this show has so far.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Maybe you are right, but when I look back at shows I can remember as a kid, it's usually things that even if they effort, their main goal was still to sell toys rather than tell a story.
    Ah... I go back far enough that selling toys was not a goal at all.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah... I go back far enough that selling toys was not a goal at all.
    Given that there existed a cartoon whose purpose was to sell the Rubik's Cube, I'm actually curious how far back we're talking.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

do mothers count? does anime count? do fatherly figures count? if so is easy, if not it gets tricky, assuming they do I can quickly give you splinter from TMNT (he is generally toughtful in most of them, even if he canīt match Gregīs cheer charisma), Uncle Stan from Gravity Falls, even if he sometimes placed them in danger he did all he could for their (and bonded heck of a lot for one summer).
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

27. - Top - End - #387

Quote Originally Posted by neriractor View Post
    do mothers count? does anime count? do fatherly figures count? if so is easy, if not it gets tricky, assuming they do I can quickly give you splinter from TMNT (he is generally toughtful in most of them, even if he canīt match Gregīs cheer charisma), Uncle Stan from Gravity Falls, even if he sometimes placed them in danger he did all he could for their (and bonded heck of a lot for one summer).
    Gruncle Stan was secretive, exploitative, and generally sleazy. He's hardly a model parent figure.

If we feel like winding the clock back a bit, Ma and Pa Kent might qualify for the Greg Club of Parenthood.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Gruncle Stan was secretive, exploitative, and generally sleazy. He's hardly a model parent figure.
    Iīll take him over the average cartoon dad any day of the week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

29. - Top - End - #389

He also wrestled dinosaurs to save the kids and never once was actually bad to them.

30. - Top - End - #390

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    He also wrestled dinosaurs to save the kids
    While paraphrasing classic literature. Add's a touch of class and makes it all so much better.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2016-11-25 at 01:42 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks