New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Steven UnIVerse: 4shadowing

New episode is out!
    Spoiler: Storm in the Room
    Show

So... does anyone else feel like this episode is kind of... missing something? like... idk... a resolution to the problem or something?
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Storm in the Room
    Show
    It did feel like it just retread old ground some more. Steven wishes he'd known Rose, and has a conflicted image of her. That's... not new.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

What i was honestly expecting was for something along the lines of

"The room scanned Steven's Gem and peiced together enough information to make a pseudo-accurate representation of the real rose"

or even a
    "The Room scans everyone who enters it, and has a scan of Rose on reccord and can project that with all of her memmories, so it esentually was rose, but she lacked certain information gained after she left the room last, possibly having not even met Greg yet"

or something like that.

you know... maybe like... talking to some form of ROSE in an episode centered around talking to ROSE.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2017-02-17 at 08:01 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #814
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I liked it.

This isn't Steven learning the truth.

This is steven's conflicting ideas about his mom coming to a head andSteven reconciling them.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Spamalot in the Playground

Spoiler: I call hax
    Show
    I do not believe for an instant that a microwave meal so easily and cleanly slides out of the packaging like that into a bowl.

The Charlie Brown and Lucy moment was cute, but overall... I dunno.... I too feel like there's something missing. It was nice, but it didn't feel like it went anywhere or revealed anything profound.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

6. - Top - End - #816
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Spoiler: I call hax
    Show
    I do not believe for an instant that a microwave meal so easily and cleanly slides out of the packaging like that into a bowl.

The Charlie Brown and Lucy moment was cute, but overall... I dunno.... I too feel like there's something missing. It was nice, but it didn't feel like it went anywhere or revealed anything profound.
    It could be that the episode was meant to reveal something for the future rather than drive the plot now.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Gotta disagree with all y'all('cept Rater202).

Spoiler: Me disagreeing with all y'all('cept Rater202)
    Show
    Steven wants his Mom to be perfect. When he learns that she's not a perfect hero, his immediate reaction is to try to turn her into a perfect monster. Resolution comes in the realization that she is instead a flawed person who loves him very much. Just like Greg(who can't be there for him 100% of the time, and who sometimes has to settle for getting the pizza without pepperoni).

Coming to grips with this can be hard for a lot of kids.

I also think it's interesting to note that Connie hasn't had this realization about her Mom yet. "She always answers her phone". Connie's worry, at heart, comes from the idea that her Mom isn't a regular person who can get stuck in traffic or lose a phone; if she's not answering it must be a result of a major catastrophe.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
    Gotta disagree with all y'all('cept Rater202).

Spoiler: Me disagreeing with all y'all('cept Rater202)
    Show
    Steven wants his Mom to be perfect. When he learns that she's not a perfect hero, his immediate reaction is to try to turn her into a perfect monster. Resolution comes in the realization that she is instead a flawed person who loves him very much. Just like Greg(who can't be there for him 100% of the time, and who sometimes has to settle for getting the pizza without pepperoni).

Coming to grips with this can be hard for a lot of kids.

I also think it's interesting to note that Connie hasn't had this realization about her Mom yet. "She always answers her phone". Connie's worry, at heart, comes from the idea that her Mom isn't a regular person who can get stuck in traffic or lose a phone; if she's not answering it must be a result of a major catastrophe.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I pretty much agree with you, not much to add to that. I still want to try to draw more from it though, I really want to say something on how realistic the portrayal of Rose was and how even when Steven's view of her drastically shifted she still remained pretty much the same, but there's not enough information on the capabilities of the room to say anything for certain without some second opinions.

One interesting thing that we found out this episode about the room was that instead of being a magical holodeck like it had always seemed before, Steven's ability to identify the lack of Rose with his phone implies the room is instead more of a virtual or augmented reality, making you experience the false things instead of creating them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Master of Aeons View Post
    I'd kill to own a sourcebook for this: Over 9000 pages, mostly filler.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ogre in the Playground

Thoughts about the latest episode:

Spoiler: Echoes
    Show

When Rose talked about sports, it was similar but not exactly the same as the talk about the world in the video portion of Lion 3. Well, at least I think so; I remember I've heard it before, but I'm not sure if it's from Lion 3 or something else...
    Similarly, when Greg was shown in (the episode called) Rose's Room, he started repeating lines that were similar but not exactly the same as each other. In that case, the first line wasn't something we had been shown in the show, and in this episode, Rose didn't start repeating variations of the same line over and over again. Even so: it does seem that the projected Rose was just as flawed as the projected Greg... but at the same time, it should be just as accurate, too. and Steven was unable to tell the difference between that Greg and the real Greg. So maybe Steven kind-of experienced something of what it might have been to meet his mother.

Re: this episode lacking something
    Connie and Steven (and Rose!) were shown in the meditative posture introduced in Mindful Education. I believe this is the first time we shaw that posture after that. Like Mindful Education, the first part of the episode showed Connie having a problem. Then the later part of the episode shows Steven struggling with his own version of the same problem, which in both cases is his view of his mom.
    In Mindful Education, the mental confusion was painful and crippling.
    In Storm in the Room, he is able to verbalize his problem, but unable to solve it or really handle it.

I'm expecting to see more on this later. Maybe it'll be three episodes in total, maybe more.

And finally, even though this might be something we adult/grown-up watchers of the show have known for a while, the show has a trend of first implying and alluding into things that the viewers could guess, and then outright stating them. For example, in The Return, Greg narrates the "revelation" of Gems being aliens who invaded the earth etc. I think it's for the younger people watching the show who don't know how to handle situations and feelings like this.

I both liked and enjoyed the episode a lot.
    Last edited by endoperez; 2017-02-18 at 08:09 AM.

10. - Top - End - #820

Quote Originally Posted by MorgromTheOrc View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    One interesting thing that we found out this episode about the room was that instead of being a magical holodeck like it had always seemed before, Steven's ability to identify the lack of Rose with his phone implies the room is instead more of a virtual or augmented reality, making you experience the false things instead of creating them.
    Spoiler: New episode
    Show
    That was an interesting detail about Rose's room. Kind of creepy to think about.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #821
    Titan in the Playground

New Episode out.
    Spoiler: Rocknaldo
    Show

Bloodstone is worst Best gemsona.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #822

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    New Episode out.
    Show

Bloodstone is worst Best gemsona.
    Show
    Well... it was a new episode.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

13. - Top - End - #823
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't think I could dislike Renaldo more, but I was wrong.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Titan in the Playground

When a new episode comes out but nothing happens and you think it's a recycled script from season one that didn't make the cut.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    The cringe is strong in this episode.

So much cringe. can barely make it through.

Cringier and Cringier.

Cringiest.

uncringe. uuuuuuugh......Cringenaldo.

I'm also on discord as "raziere".

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Tfw the creators start taking potshots at their own gemforsaken fandom.
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2017-02-25 at 12:31 AM.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

17. - Top - End - #827

Spoiler
    Show
    It was awkward, but it was kinda cute at the end. It's...definitely not the best episode in the world though.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chromascope3D View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tfw the creators start taking potshots at their own gemforsaken fandom.
    Seemed more like the intent was a moral about cultural appropriation and how tolerance doesn't mean being a doormat than any attempt to mock gemsonas.
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.

Defender of

Don't make me trot out Smite Moron!

Thanks to Sneak for the Avatar.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
    Seemed more like the intent was a moral about cultural appropriation and how tolerance doesn't mean being a doormat than any attempt to mock gemsonas.
    Well, I guess you see what you want to see. I totally saw a jab at the frankly toxic tumblr Steven Universe community. Nothing about "cultural appropriation".

20. - Top - End - #830
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Well, I guess you see what you want to see. I totally saw a jab at the frankly toxic tumblr Steven Universe community. Nothing about "cultural appropriation".
    I don't see how it can't be both?

a work of media can work on multiple levels without needing to exclude one thing or the other if it does it right. A moral about cultural appropriation inside a jab a toxic part of the fandom inside of a moral about tolerance not being a doormat? makes it many layered and well written. even if its not the best episode ever.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

21. - Top - End - #831
    Titan in the Playground

Nothing I said precluded that. I'm simply saying that I don't think it is.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ettin in the Playground

I thought the entire episode was going to be Ronaldo Racism but I'm glad that got nipped early on.

But the very fact that it started with not-so-allegorical racism actually makes me wonder how you can't see the appropriation angle.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've seen comparisons to self declared allies of LGBT groups criticizing people for not acting 'gay enough,' which, you know given certain running themes of the program, makes a certain amount of sense.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure "Admit it, she's just in because she's your girlfriend," is one page one of the "Toxic Fanboy Gatekeeper," manual.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

Well... At least he learned his lesson at the end of it... kind of....
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #835

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Well... At least he learned his lesson at the end of it... kind of....
    Spoiler: New episode
    Show
    While I agree with the above posts that cringed on this episode, it did at least end on a decent note with Renaldo being less... um... rock-headed. ^^;

I did not expect him to get so mean to Steven like that. I figure he was gonna go on a mission against the team's wishes and see their first first hand... then get saved by said work and write a new blog about it...
    Digo Dragon - Artist

26. - Top - End - #836
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post

a work of media can work on multiple levels without needing to exclude one thing or the other if it does it right. A moral about cultural appropriation inside a jab a toxic part of the fandom inside of a moral about tolerance not being a doormat? makes it many layered and well written. even if its not the best episode ever.
    I definitely saw it more as a moral about how to not be a toxic ally (i.e. don't make it about yourself if you're not actually a member of a minority or otherwise underprivileged group you're attempting to help), however, in my personal experience, I've noticed a lot of toxic fans of the show also happen to overlap into this toxic ally demographic, which is why I felt that a lot of the jabs were being directed at them as well.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

27. - Top - End - #837
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post

Because it's not "Cultural Appropriation," it's "Cultural Osmosis." As an artist, Sugar understands that cultures are meant to blend, to promote empathy and understanding. As she uses elements from other cultures constantly (that's an element of art, "Cultural Appropriation" is the antithesis of art), if she believed in the regressive concept of "Cultural Appropriation," she would be a hypocrite and a Philistine.

Let's say it was supposed to be, because I love destroying ideas with their own reasoning:
    1) It's not about culture. Culture is an acquired traits, things Ronaldo wanted like a Geapon and a Gem are inherent traits. It's not even an metaphor, as metaphors aren't supposed to be entirely off the mark like this.

2) Also, Steven makes no attempt to actually explain the truth about gems, or anything about their culture. He lies about gems, saying that Ronaldo would get one. He doesn't ask Ronaldo to train. It's just poorly handled if you think that was the objective, to the point of incompetence that I cant imagine it was on purpose.

I hate this episode by the way. Jabbing at the fanbase is a bad idea in the first place, especially when you give pointless, empty episodes like this one. Can't Ronaldo like end up capturing an injured gem likes it's an alien, or actually be taught something so he can share it with the world? If you're going to make episodes about this character, can we have some substance?
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Given that we had like three episodes based around "Onion is a weird kid", I think its entirely plausible that the point of the episode was meant to remind us that Ronaldo is a maniac who is flailing around wildly, and that just because he gets a couple things right (through no fault of his own), doesn't mean he isn't a maniac.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

29. - Top - End - #839
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Given that we had like three episodes based around "Onion is a weird kid", I think its entirely plausible that the point of the episode was meant to remind us that Ronaldo is a maniac who is flailing around wildly, and that just because he gets a couple things right (through no fault of his own), doesn't mean he isn't a maniac.
    Onion > Ronaldo. Onion is at least developing a friendship with Steven. There is development there. I feel like we go through the same steps with Ronaldo over and over.

30. - Top - End - #840

Here's the difference between this episode and previous "Ronaldo" episodes: Ronaldo actually learned hisa lesson.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keep Beach City Weird
    In my searches for THE TRUTH, I’ve done a lot of listening. I’ve listened to haunted houses to hear ghosts from other dimensions. I’ve listened to radio signals from the cosmos for signs of alien life. But on my most recent quest to help the Crystal Gems, I forgot to listen to someone very important: the Crystal Gems. If you wanna help someone else, you can’t make it all about you - no matter how sweet your KATANA BLADES may be! You gotta listen and help spread their words.

I’ve also learned that HUMANS NEED TO SLEEP. I didn’t sleep for 48 hours and I PASSED OUT FOR DAYS. I woke up on the floor in the foyer of my house. My dad said that’s as far as he could drag me with his bad back. From now on, I’m sticking to my normal schedule of 16 hours of sleep a night.

Anyway, if you’re in Beach City, come grab a Ronalphlet and learn how you can help the Crystal Gems!
    You're complaining about Ronaldo having no development in the episode where he finally gets development.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks