New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Steven UnIVerse: 4shadowing

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Here's the difference between this episode and previous "Ronaldo" episodes: Ronaldo actually learned hisa lesson.

You're complaining about Ronaldo having no development in the episode where he finally gets development.
    ... was this in the episode? o.o

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this episode should have been from Ronaldo's perspective, or at least his blog.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2017-02-26 at 01:11 AM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Colossus in the Playground

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this episode should have been from Ronaldo's perspective, or at least his blog.
    It was, and you're right it should of been. I may disagree with some of your points (you CAN culturally appropriate sometime, and it's not "regressive" to say that. There's such a thing as doing cultural Osmosis wrong, and one could argue that Osmosis may be negative due to the distillation but whatever) but we can at least agree on that.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Ettin in the Playground

Also note that cultural Appropriation isn't just "doing things another culture does" but it's "doing a thing that a culture does but without researching or even respecting the relevant cultural context. Sometimes while presenting the thing as your own discovery. Also it's probably a thing that you used to mock or marginalize the original culture for doing, until you decided it was cool."

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    It was, and you're right it should of been. I may disagree with some of your points (you CAN culturally appropriate sometime, and it's not "regressive" to say that. There's such a thing as doing cultural Osmosis wrong, and one could argue that Osmosis may be negative due to the distillation but whatever) but we can at least agree on that.
    Labeling a cultural interaction as innately bad in some way discourages further cultural interaction.
    To distill is to seek the essence of something, and when you are seeking the meaning of something, that is praiseworthy.

Distillation is how you make brandy. Would you support prohibition, simply because some brandy is bad?
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

5. - Top - End - #845

All I'm saying is that there's a fine line and you just have to be a little aware of it is all. I have no idea why you've posted this gif. It looks neat, where is it from?

Note that by distillation I mean the weakening or thinning of it. Not getting it down to it's core essence, by running it thin. Maybe I used the wrong term.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

The word you're looking for is dilute.

7. - Top - End - #847
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    All I'm saying is that there's a fine line and you just have to be a little aware of it is all. I have no idea why you've posted this gif. It looks neat, where is it from?

Note that by distillation I mean the weakening or thinning of it. Not getting it down to it's core essence, by running it thin. Maybe I used the wrong term.
    Of course you can do something ****ty. I'm saying that making up a whole term to describe that phenomenon is counterproductive to progressive morals, especially when a vast majority amount of cultural osmosis is positive, and spending so much time focusing on the negative is self-serving, fruitless exercise that breeds as much conflict as it combats. Ergo, regressive. Language is very important, and we must overcome the language of hate with the language of empathy.

The Anime is My Life in April. I appropriated it () in order emphasize my point about using other cultures in art, as well as to imply sincerity through eye contact and intimacy.

8. - Top - End - #848

At the very end, he's shown to be making the effort to be less selfish and at least seems to be more respectful.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

At the very end, he's shown to be making the effort to be less selfish and at least seems to be more respectful.
    Fair, but I'll have to see if it holds up into the next...

Ronaldo episode. I don't want it to be like some of the episodes in MPL where the character has to learn the same lesson again.

10. - Top - End - #850

Has anyone in this show ever forgotten a lesson they learned in a previous episode?

The closest thing to that has been a multi-faceted problem being tackled one issue at a time(Steven's conflicting feelings about Rose have had the second half of Mindfullness education[Steven not dealing with how upsetting the things Rose did for him and the baggage of her actions concerning Bizmuth, Jasper, and Eyeball cuasing problems for him in a healthy way] and all of Storm In The Room [Reconciling Rose's good traits with her flaws] and I imagine that we're far from done with that Storyline as an example) or a single problem being adressed over multible episodes(Amethyst's inferiority complex from Crack the Whip to Earthlings is a good example.

Anyway, chnanging the subject: After learning that holly blue agates only form naturally in a vvery specifica location here on earth and nowhere else in the universe as far as we know, Holly Blue's utter dismissal of all things earth based is hilarious.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

Has anyone in this show ever forgotten a lesson they learned in a previous episode?

The closest thing to that has been a multi-faceted problem being tackled one issue at a time(Steven's conflicting feelings about Rose have had the second half of Mindfullness education[Steven not dealing with how upsetting the things Rose did for him and the baggage of her actions concerning Bizmuth, Jasper, and Eyeball cuasing problems for him in a healthy way] and all of Storm In The Room [Reconciling Rose's good traits with her flaws] and I imagine that we're far from done with that Storyline as an example) or a single problem being adressed over multible episodes(Amethyst's inferiority complex from Crack the Whip to Earthlings is a good example.

Anyway, chnanging the subject: After learning that holly blue agates only form naturally in a vvery specifica location here on earth and nowhere else in the universe as far as we know, Holly Blue's utter dismissal of all things earth based is hilarious.
    I do feel that Steven's conflict with his mother has been more retread than resolved, especially because we still didn't really learn anything new about Rose since it began. The question of "who was Rose really?" seems unanswered, so I am not convinced it is over.

As for Holly, are you sure it can't be replicated on other planets? If not, that would mean some of the other innately blue gems could have been made there (or... here, I guess). Of course, Amethyst coloring could be foreshadowing, as purple is red (pink) and blue.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2017-02-26 at 02:23 AM.

12. - Top - End - #852

I do feel that Steven's conflict with his mother has been more retread than resolved, especially because we still didn't really learn anything new about Rose since it began. The question of "who was Rose really?" seems unanswered, so I am not convinced it is over.

As for Holly, are you sure it can't be replicated on other planets? If not, that would mean some of the other innately blue gems could have been made there (or... here, I guess). Of course, Amethyst coloring could be foreshadowing, as purple is red (pink) and blue.
    What Rater means is that the exact specific conditions required to make Holy Blue Agate is something we've only seen on Earth, and no other planet we've studied, period.

We don't KNOW if holly blue agate's can be made on other planets or not in real life, but as far as we've searched, even on Earth itself, there's like maybe five places in all of the entire planet that they come about.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2017-02-26 at 03:16 AM.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ogre in the Playground

I have an intense dislike for cringe comedy or something that overlaps it. And I'm not a fan of Ronaldo either. I skipped the episode and saw less than half of it.

It had good jokes & moments. Ronaldo enthusiastically embraced the most ridiculous & edgy themes, which would be funny if Ronaldo didn't suck fun out of the scenes he's in. It talked about surprisingly heavy stuff with some nuance.

This would be an entertaining episode if Ronaldo worked. I wonder why he doesn't. Do any of the dubs manage to make him funny? Is he paced too slow, where short brick joke cuts into his antics could work, when longer segments or entire episodes don't?

Like, in Restaurant Wars his jokes were better. The roller shoes delivery thing, the "I have a girlfriend" declaration & the blankface reactions, etc. Not great, but OK.

I've watched Kobayashi's Dragon Maid anime recently. Ignorant dragon/s pretend/s to be human, equal parts funny antics & heartwarming cuteness. It has some super short cuts nmid episode, just a scene, like a newspaper comic strip's worth of a joke. And they work.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Spamalot in the Playground

The Anime is My Life in April. I appropriated it () in order emphasize my point about using other cultures in art, as well as to imply sincerity through eye contact and intimacy.
    Oh okay. Cause the way she was staring at the guy it looked like he was about to get stabbed.

I think Ronaldo's episode would have been more interesting if it were about him wanting to interview the gems for his blog rather than join them.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

I think it was very Notnaldo. Not only does the character not work, he super does not work when they don't fit him in his element. I never considered him selfish as much as he is unaware. He adopts mannerisms of paranormal investigators in real life, but unlike them, he's absolutely sincere about it.

So plot idea #3: if he's going to join the team, have him do it as a documentary guy. For comedy, maybe have him documenting even mundane things for no reason.

EDIT: The more I think about, the more I realize Steven is a terrible friend to Ronaldo. I mean really, the whole episode is his fault for not explaining anything about gems and not clarifying aspects of their species, and really doing nothing to include him.

Re: Holly
    So Earth is like a city that lost it's money source, a preplanned, gauche city, or one of those cities build for economic reasons but no one live there. No gems like it.
    Pearl wants to get off of it.
    YD hates its organic life and other reasons.
    Lapis "Never believed in this place."
    Jasper hates it.

In general, it inspires cynicism in Gems. If Holly is from Earth, would she necessarily want people to know she was? Would you want people to know you're from Detroit, Canberra, or one of those Chinese ghost cities?
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2017-02-27 at 09:52 AM.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

New Episode is out

Spoiler
    Show

Sure hope that's not real money he's giving away there.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, nothing happened this episode, aside from Steven putting yet another dent in Greg's fortune.

Good thing the dude lives in a van/car wash.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    Well, nothing happened this episode, aside from Steven putting yet another dent in Greg's fortune.

Well, Tiger Millionaire used jungle bucks. Why wouldn't Tiger Philanthropist?
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #859

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Well, Tiger Millionaire used jungle bucks. Why wouldn't Tiger Philanthropist?
    They even mention that in episode.

But yeah this episode was cute.

20. - Top - End - #860
    Spamalot in the Playground

Wait, you actually believe Sadie's crazy wild theory that Steven is Tiger? They don't even look alike! Tiger's like... seven feet tall!
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

I looked at the money. Those are one dollar bills. He gave away like fifty bucks.

Episode was okay. Wasn't offensive like Rocknaldo. Just Amethyst moving on from her old, self serving habits, plus some wrestling cheese.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Titan in the Playground

New Episode is out.
    Spoiler
    Show

god Navy's voice is REAAALLY irritating... makes me glad the episodes are so short now.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #863

Spoiler
    Show
    No one's THAT well adjusted!

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So how long until Homeworld knows the Crystal Gems are still alive on Earth?

25. - Top - End - #865
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The best part is that Navy probably didn't lie about loving everything.
    At least in the sense of enjoying everything, as much as she loved playing Steven for a fool.

I will be waiting for Navy's "made o-o-o-o-of lo-o-o-o-ove" song.
    From Steven Universe to Undertale back to Steven Universe.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully not long.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Barbarian in the Playground

So the moral of the story is...
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...never trust or befriend anyone new?

27. - Top - End - #867
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean, if you take this episode entirely out of context and ignore Peridot, Lapis, the Centipeetle, and Famethyst.

Spoiler
    Show
    Even then, Garnet's balloons suggest that there was at least a possibility that Steven would be able to reach Navy. I'd put the lesson down more as "Even with the best intentions, not everyone will be on your side," with a heaping side of "It's okay having trouble dealing with past traumas."
    Last edited by Benthesquid; 2017-03-11 at 09:28 AM.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benthesquid View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Even then, Garnet's balloons suggest that there was at least a possibility that Steven would be able to reach Navy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The colors of the balloons suggest it was a bet between Sapphire and Ruby, and Sapphire "won". Perhaps future vision only showed the negative outcome, but it was still worth a shot in the name of stubborn hope.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Depends on how willing Homeworlders are to trust reports from rubies. I'm guessing they won't believe it until they see it with their own eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Android View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm a bigger fan of "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is", myself.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

The moral of the story was pretty explicitly "It was still worth a shot."
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.