New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1483
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Steven UnIVerse: 4shadowing

So yeah, on the subject of the episodes:

Spoiler: WHAAAAA!
    Show
    I was totally in the camp that Rose Couldn't be Pink Diamond. Now I'd even go with the Superman excuse: Super Man can't be Clark Kent, because Clark need glasses, how would he see without them. oops.

Personally, in my eyes this development Ruins Pearls Major hidden achievement that she doesn't belong to anyone. She's no longer the one Pearl whose broken herself free from her life on her terms, she's still following her Diamonds orders. Even up to this very episode! She does what ever Pink wanted her to do, and she really still does whatever Steven wants her to do. Worse, with how much time she spends taking care of Steven, She's still just doing her pearl thing. Now, she just makes me sad for her.

To be fair this was my main reason it would be bad for Pink Diamond to be Rose. It automatically invalidates all of Pearls Achievements in being her own pearl.
    Last edited by Ornithologist; 2018-05-08 at 11:06 AM.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    An interesting thought...

Spoiler
    Show
    We now know why Pearl was so adamant that Rose didn't keep any secrets from her. Cause Rose trusted her with the Pink Diamond secret and seemingly no one else but...

...she still didn't know about Lion.

What IS Lion?
    Rose didn't tell Pearl about Lion because that's where she kept Bizmuth.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ornithologist View Post

Show
    I was totally in the camp that Rose Couldn't be Pink Diamond. Now I'd even go with the Superman excuse: Super Man can't be Clark Kent, because Clark need glasses, how would he see without them. oops.

Personally, in my eyes this development Ruins Pearls Major hidden achievement that she doesn't belong to anyone. She's no longer the one Pearl whose broken herself free from her life on her terms, she's still following her Diamonds orders. Even up to this very episode! She does what ever Pink wanted her to do, and she really still does whatever Steven wants her to do. Worse, with how much time she spends taking care of Steven, She's still just doing her pearl thing. Now, she just makes me sad for her.

To be fair this was my main reason it would be bad for Pink Diamond to be Rose. It automatically invalidates all of Pearls Achievements in being her own pearl.
    Spoiler: Pearl
    Show
    I follow you. I would, however, also look at it another way: Why would Pink use Pearl as her partner in crime? It's not like a pearl is supposed to be a competent fighter or valuable support. They're trophies. Eye candy. Status symbols. And, if the owner is progressive enough, possibly even useful in light administration duties. Yet this diamond, surrounded by fanatical devotees, picked Pearl as the only person she trusted with this conspiracy. I mean, we've had it pointed out to us that our Pearl is a bit of a freak - intelligent, strong-willed, self-driven, skilled in combat, mechanically adept... basically, everything pearls are not supposed to be, she is. So here's the question: Which came first? Pearl's abnormalities or Pink's faith? I'd be curious to learn the order of that.

Either way, the end result remains much the same. Pearl functions as an individual. A lovelorn individual, perhaps, but that's hardly anything unique. Since the fall of Pink Diamond, she's been her own gem. She had to be. As Rose, Pink couldn't the master/servant relationship and maintain the ruse. And that's assuming she wanted to, which runs counter to her wistful commentary on why she loves humans so much. I believe she wanted Pearl to be free, and to grow beyond the confines of the expectations of her classification.

Okay, I get being annoyed that Pearl didn't actually flip her boss the bird and storm off to join the rebellion. That is a loss to her character. But Pearl still did the impossible. Whether it was due to her own nature or through Pink's encouragement, she broke the rules of what it meant to be a pearl. May be that it's a silver medal as accomplishments go, but it's still an achievement to respect.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: Rose and Pink's motives
    Show
    So, I'm trying to get my head around Pink's / Rose's motives, here. Rose started a rebellion against herself to save the Earth, even though she had the power to govern the Earth as she saw fit? What was preventing her from colonizing the Earth in a way that did minimal damage to the planet and humanity?

This sounds more like a plot twist that was fan-made (And it was) as opposed to something that was thoroughly thought out.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Mecha View Post
    Show
    So, I'm trying to get my head around Pink's / Rose's motives, here. Rose started a rebellion against herself to save the Earth, even though she had the power to govern the Earth as she saw fit? What was preventing her from colonizing the Earth in a way that did minimal damage to the planet and humanity?

This sounds more like a plot twist that was fan-made (And it was) as opposed to something that was thoroughly thought out.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming that Steven's dream was actually a conversation that was had at some point, or at least close to one, it seemed like Blue and Yellow Diamond wouldn't actually let her govern the colony the way she wanted. It sounded like she was trying to convince them that Earth wasn't worth the effort needed, and that their time and resources would be better spent elsewhere, escalating and/or exaggerating the problems with the colonization in the hope that her siblings(?) would just give up on earth and give her somewhere less covered in life.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I knew it. I totally knew it.

Small thoughts while I'm at it. I personally don't feel like this invalidates Pearl all that much. Honestly, this episode shows that Pearls are clearly far more hard-wired to obedience than you'd expect, as Pearl literally was not able to choose to disobey Pink's final order. With that kind of block in place, I actually find it even more impressive that Pearl has been able to break away from Pink as much as she did.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Titan in the Playground

Show

Spoiler: It's bad for other reasons
    Show

Everyone literally thought she was pink diamond at one point.
    Instead of telling us, the show put us on a wild goose chase forever, then came up with the most obvious answer with the least amount of intrigue possible.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Mecha View Post
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Making more gems inherently kills the world you are doing it on, and I am not sure it counts as a colony if she just stops the reason for making colonies.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I knew it. I totally knew it.

Small thoughts while I'm at it. I personally don't feel like this invalidates Pearl all that much. Honestly, this episode shows that Pearls are clearly far more hard-wired to obedience than you'd expect, as Pearl literally was not able to choose to disobey Pink's final order. With that kind of block in place, I actually find it even more impressive that Pearl has been able to break away from Pink as much as she did.
    Spoiler: However
    Show
    She hasn't broken away from her at all. She still follows her almost blindly, still follows her orders even after her "death" for lack of a better term. For all we know, She was told by Pink to practice sword-work, independence etc as part of the Rose Quartz illusion. Hell, she probably is staying on Earth because She was told to protect the Earth. What really makes her different from any other Pearl getting a direct order from her Diamond now?

Worse, Pearl has been my favorite character on the show for most of its run. Especially her songs relating to Rose.

Now, I will say that I am really excited for the next few episodes. I want to see the fallout from the reveal, and what Pearl can successfully tell people about her story. Its a make or break moment for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff
    Show
    Instead of telling us, the show put us on a wild goose chase forever, then came up with the most obvious answer with the least amount of intrigue possible.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was always against the theory that Rose was Pink Diamond. So, oops I was wrong there. However, I like all of the things you are saying here is bad (minus the amount of intrigue, which I thought was quite well done).... So I guess, agree to disagree there.
    Now, Back to Lurking!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I think I'm going to defer to his wiser judgment in this case, because I'm probably going to keep writing responses and that will only lead to me getting myself in trouble somehow.
    - I should follow this advice more often.

Belkar's Death Countdown best guess: 31/49 days used before Belkar is gone forever more! - updated to morning at 1190!

Hey, its the Blog where I write! Dice Roles

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Spamalot in the Playground

Show

Spoiler: Pink
    Show
    I haven't been this disappointed in a show since LOST.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Show
    She hasn't broken away from her at all. She still follows her almost blindly, still follows her orders even after her "death" for lack of a better term. For all we know, She was told by Pink to practice sword-work, independence etc as part of the Rose Quartz illusion. Hell, she probably is staying on Earth because She was told to protect the Earth. What really makes her different from any other Pearl getting a direct order from her Diamond now?

Worse, Pearl has been my favorite character on the show for most of its run. Especially her songs relating to Rose.

Now, I will say that I am really excited for the next few episodes. I want to see the fallout from the reveal, and what Pearl can successfully tell people about her story. Its a make or break moment for me.
    Spoiler: Pearl
    Show
    I think its pretty clear that Pearl follows Rose/PD out of personal loyalty and romantic affection, not just because she's built to follow orders. Most of the episodes that focus on Pearl show that she's pretty messed up and has a lot of insecurities, to say nothing of probably having severe PTSD. Theres definitely a lot more to her than just being a loyal servant and status piece.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Spoiler: Pink
    Show
    I haven't been this disappointed in a show since LOST.
    I haven't laughed this hard since LOST. <3
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

13. - Top - End - #1183

Honestly, I was deeply disappointed in the original revelation that Rose had shattered Pink Diamond, both because there had been so much foreshadowing for Rose being Pink, and because 'Rose shattered Pink' just didn't seem to be a twist or a revelation at all. Like, they sold it pretty well how Steven would take it poorly, but 'the hero killed the tyrannical villain' just seems utterly expected and conventional on its face.

Also, I think it's pretty neat that we have an implicit explanation for why Pearl never shapeshifts--it's caught up in much the same mental block that keeps her from talking about this secret.
    Take my love, take my land
    Take me where I cannot stand.
    I don't care, I'm still free,
    You can't take the sky from me.

Defender of

Don't make me trot out Smite Moron!

Thanks to Sneak for the Avatar.

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler: Steven Universe stays true to itself
    Show
    I really liked the last episode. Although the twist was well foreshadowed when Stevonnie looked in a mirror and saw Pink, it still took me by surprise. Not a bad "oh no" kind of surprise, the good "is this really happening" kind of surprise.

I think this plot twist -- it is definitely a twist to the characters, even if many fans predicted it -- frees the story to stay true to itself. If Yellow or White had assassinated Pink and framed Rose, the story would have been "Crystal Gems go to Homeworld, overthrow Diamonds". Perhaps a fun storyline, but too rah-rah for Steven Universe.

Instead... the story from here should be about reversing the Corruption and atoning for the past. The Crystal Gems may even have to make a deal with the Diamonds to find a cure for the Corruption. And that, turning enemies into allies, is what this story has been all along.

So, what's Peridot's reaction going to be?

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Heh. Suddenly I am imaging what Blue Zircon's reaction would be....

Spoiler
    Show
    I am also imaging an Alt timeline where Pink rebels without the Rose Quartz facade.

Edit: I also don't think Peridot will have that strong of a reaction, not stronger than Amythyst's at least. She never followed Pink or Rose, she is a Crystal Gem solely because of Steven. She just doesn't have as much reason to be invested as the others do.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2018-05-08 at 04:19 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tutorix View Post
    Show
    I really liked the last episode. Although the twist was well foreshadowed when Stevonnie looked in a mirror and saw Pink, it still took me by surprise. Not a bad "oh no" kind of surprise, the good "is this really happening" kind of surprise.

I think this plot twist -- it is definitely a twist to the characters, even if many fans predicted it -- frees the story to stay true to itself. If Yellow or White had assassinated Pink and framed Rose, the story would have been "Crystal Gems go to Homeworld, overthrow Diamonds". Perhaps a fun storyline, but too rah-rah for Steven Universe.

Instead... the story from here should be about reversing the Corruption and atoning for the past. The Crystal Gems may even have to make a deal with the Diamonds to find a cure for the Corruption. And that, turning enemies into allies, is what this story has been all along.

Spoiler
    Show
    1: "...WhaaaaaaAaaHHT!?"

2: "That actually makes a lot of sense."

3: "...I tried to smash a diamond the first time I met thm."
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ogre in the Playground

Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Considering this very episode had Pearl subvert the direct command from Pink that made it physically impossible for her to talk about the deception, your statement is honestly provably false.

18. - Top - End - #1188

Quote Originally Posted by Tutorix View Post
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    See, to me the story has been about overthrowing the Diamond Authority and gaining freedom to choose how to live your life. Steven doesn't have much of a bargaining chip. The diamonds could attempt to break him and extract Pink's gem if they wanted to. And if he manages to strike some deal for undoing the corruption, what will the cured gems think when they learn who the leader of the rebellion really is? There's also all the Gems back on Homeworld still under rule of the Diamond Authority, and the bubbled quartz, and the exiled off color gems that hide underground... I don't see a bargain Steven could bring to the table to change their minds on the way the entire empire runs. Certainly not Yellow. They're still holding more cards than Steven.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    See, to me the story has been about overthrowing the Diamond Authority and gaining freedom to choose how to live your life. Steven doesn't have much of a bargaining chip. The diamonds could attempt to break him and extract Pink's gem if they wanted to. And if he manages to strike some deal for undoing the corruption, what will the cured gems think when they learn who the leader of the rebellion really is? There's also all the Gems back on Homeworld still under rule of the Diamond Authority, and the bubbled quartz, and the exiled off color gems that hide underground... I don't see a bargain Steven could bring to the table to change their minds on the way the entire empire runs. Certainly not Yellow. They're still holding more cards than Steven.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's strange. Overthrowing the diamonds is the last thing I'd expect or indeed want from a series like this.
    Last edited by Devonix; 2018-05-08 at 06:03 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1190

Spoiler
    Show
    I've seen people speculating that Trying to convince the Diamonds that Rose and now Steven are Pink diamond will result in mixed feelings among the Diamonds with Blue for sure being willing to accept it and agree to at least preserve the Earth becuase this is as close to having Pink back as she'll get, Yellow questioning it ("why woudld Pink have backed down afte rmaking such a big deal of getting her own armies and colinies? Why would she come to favor deviated gems and the humans... I mean, she was defected, but not that much.... Even if she... Why wouldn't she have just said so?") and White, the unknown and most likily to be a pure antagonistic woon either refusing to belive it outright or beliving it but being so uttely offended by organic life and defected gems corrupting a perfect gem socioty that she disowns Pink and by extentsion Steven, resulting in the Diamond Authority splintering into two or three groups, resulting in
    a Civil War with the Crystal Gems on Earth forced to watch from the sidelines and occasionally getting dragged into the middle of it.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: On what SU is about:
    Show

Honestly, I don't think SU was ever about overthrowing the Diamond Authority. If that was true, why not just release Bismuth and start mass-producing breaking points to kill them? The most sure way to overthrow somebody is with their death. Their true, FINAL death. Especially considering how powerful the Diamonds seem to be- they are pretty much goddesses.

If this was a shonen anime, yeah, that'd probably be what would happen: Steven somehow trains his Gem powers, overthrows the Diamonds all by himself and rules to make a better world for the gems.

This is not that show. It has never been. Because it has a lot of realism in it like "Steven couldn't actually rule anything well" and "actually fighting the Diamonds is crazy. Not heroic crazy, but "its stupid and you'll die" crazy" because what could Steven POSSIBLY do to overthrow three tyrants that can do something like blast an entire planet to corrupt the gems on there? None of his powers are exactly all that combat optimized, heck Steven had to talk down a big Cluster from blow up the Earth with its birth, he couldn't force it to do anything.

Figuring out a way for the Diamonds to not be jerks, may be the only way for humanity and free gems to survive at all. His persuasiveness is not just an ability, it might be needed, vital for this conflict to end. Their technological and force advantage is just too great to counter with force back. and that is what makes Steven Universe unique as a show. for you see, the normal story of a rebellion against an evil empire is the rebellion defeating the empire after it seem impossible to do so. its not the morality of the rebellion in question, but whether its possible for that rebellion to to pull off destroying it, whether they're right to destroy it, is simply assumed.

SU is not going that route. Its talking about how the other side are people to. Its talking about understanding and communication between people. and how war is fundamentally a breakdown of communication and understanding between them. Its not something just or right. Its simply the fight for survival writ large. For Steven to go to war with the diamonds and overthrow them would put all of Earth in danger, put any of the Gems that side with them in danger, while the Diamonds would have a media advantage in spreading propaganda throughout their empire, resource advantage, military advantage.....just advantage in EVERYTHING. Curbstomp wouldn't begin to describe it. and given that Bismuth exists and Rose made some pretty questionable decisions, the rebellion wasn't morally clean. It had its heart in the right place, but there was some shady stuff going on, even if the Diamonds experiments and leftover war machine is more horrifying. which is the point I'm getting at: all the shown instances of the war has been about how it was horrific and terrible for everyone involved. this ain't a superhero/action story where fighting is glamorized and the protagonist is good as long as he fights for the right reasons.

I mean, remember when Connie reacted and broke a kids arm without thinking because of her training? And she feels guilty about it and needs to make amends? Yeah. That. that never happens in an action hero/superhero story. Because this isn't one of those stories.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #1192

Spoiler: A thought
    Show
    Considering the size and shape of Pink's/Rose's gem in relationship to it's position in Steven's body... Yeah, I'm guessing that his abdominal muscles and digestive tract are structured at least slightly differantly from a normal human's.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Spoiler: A thought
    Show
    Considering the size and shape of Pink's/Rose's gem in relationship to it's position in Steven's body... Yeah, I'm guessing that his abdominal muscles and digestive tract are structured at least slightly differantly from a normal human's.
    The belly button area is just abdominal muscle (which can be separated there, some humans get hernias this way) and flexible intestines. Not really a big difference. Steven's fat, too, so maybe the depth of the gem is just as easily accounted for by his lipid layer.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2018-05-08 at 10:41 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1194

The belly button area is just abdominal muscle (which can be separated there, some humans get hernias this way) and flexible intestines. Not really a big difference. Steven's fat, too, so maybe the depth of the gem is just as easily accounted for by his lipid layer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Gem was the same size on Baby Steven.
    Spoiler: Pics
    Show

Barring at least minor anatomical differnaces, his Gem would basically be digging a huge cavity into his guts

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Show

Barring at least minor anatomical differnaces, his Gem would basically be digging a huge cavity into his guts
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steven Universe is like Transformers. Sense of scale is ****ed.

26. - Top - End - #1196

Spoiler
    Show
    Show

Given the gems project a holographic form around them since the gem is the "real body" for lack of a better term, I think it's safe to say that however the meat side of Steven works, the magic side allows it to function properly despite what should be a pretty massive wound in his gut. This is fine.

Also thank you for reminding me of the time Pearl almost literally murdered a newborn child.

27. - Top - End - #1197

Spoiler
    Show
    Rewatching... Pearl is a bit unforgettable looking when Pink turns a handful of dirt into non-living pink diamond shards and eats them.

Which made me realize that, from a gem's perspective, it's basically watching someone magically conjure a mangled corpse and then eat it.

Also, I just remembered... Eyeball claimed that Steven's Gem didn't look like a Rose Quartz.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #1198

Spoiler
    Show
    Though this explains how an rebellion based on protecting some random organic liveforms could be this successful. With how loyal most gems seem to their diamond a rebellion getting enough members not because their situation sucks but for the sake of others seemed unlikely. Well enough to be a serious problem I mean even lead by a rose quartz with an array of unexplained super powers. Also yeah the powers would have been weird if she truly was just a random gem that thinks differently.

29. - Top - End - #1199

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Spoiler: On what SU is about:
    Show

Honestly, I don't think SU was ever about overthrowing the Diamond Authority. If that was true, why not just release Bismuth and start mass-producing breaking points to kill them? The most sure way to overthrow somebody is with their death. Their true, FINAL death. Especially considering how powerful the Diamonds seem to be- they are pretty much goddesses.
    Spoiler: SU
    Show
    In Avatar: The Last Airbender, Aang was able to defeat the Fire Lord Ozai without killing him. Aang instead depowers him and ends the long war of the Fire Nation. He shares the pacifistic trait with Steven that they don't want to kill anyone (also, several people Aang defeats ends up being his friend). So I can see the possibility that Steven may find a way to defeat the Diamond Authority without resorting to shattering the diamonds. Revealing that he is the son of Pink will probably be instrumental to that plan.

Spoiler
    Show
    Figuring out a way for the Diamonds to not be jerks, may be the only way for humanity and free gems to survive at all. His persuasiveness is not just an ability, it might be needed, vital for this conflict to end. Their technological and force advantage is just too great to counter with force back. and that is what makes Steven Universe unique as a show. for you see, the normal story of a rebellion against an evil empire is the rebellion defeating the empire after it seem impossible to do so. its not the morality of the rebellion in question, but whether its possible for that rebellion to to pull off destroying it, whether they're right to destroy it, is simply assumed.

SU is not going that route. Its talking about how the other side are people to. Its talking about understanding and communication between people. and how war is fundamentally a breakdown of communication and understanding between them. Its not something just or right. Its simply the fight for survival writ large. For Steven to go to war with the diamonds and overthrow them would put all of Earth in danger, put any of the Gems that side with them in danger, while the Diamonds would have a media advantage in spreading propaganda throughout their empire, resource advantage, military advantage.....just advantage in EVERYTHING. Curbstomp wouldn't begin to describe it. and given that Bismuth exists and Rose made some pretty questionable decisions, the rebellion wasn't morally clean. It had its heart in the right place, but there was some shady stuff going on, even if the Diamonds experiments and leftover war machine is more horrifying. which is the point I'm getting at: all the shown instances of the war has been about how it was horrific and terrible for everyone involved. this ain't a superhero/action story where fighting is glamorized and the protagonist is good as long as he fights for the right reasons.
    Spoiler: SU
    Show
    The Earth is in danger now. Yes, Homeworld has all the military advantages on their side, and even the inactive Geo-weapon could be re-awakened. The problem is that as long as the Diamond Authority operates with its current policies, the Earth always going to be in danger. Homeworld is a colonizing empire that is starving for resources. Agreeing to leave Earth alone wouldn't make sense from an economic or political standpoint; Making peace with Earth would mean no gains for all the Homeworld efforts sunk into the attempted colony. In addition, we see that more gems are beginning to accept or parallel the free-thinking ideas of "Rose Quartz". The DA is losing its grip over the lower gem classes and accepting peace with Earth will only prove Pink/Rose to have a valid point (and off colors certainly would accept a more tolerant way than the current DA policy).

Now, to be clear, I see Diamond Authority and the diamonds separately. The diamonds are the four individuals at the top of the chain; Pink, Yellow, Blue, and White. The Diamond Authority is their governing body of laws that dictate the chain of command for all gem classes and the policies for colonizing new worlds for resources. So to overthrow the Diamond Authority, I mean to end the current government of policies that Homeworld uses to run their empire. It is possible (even likely) that Steven leaves the diamonds in charge, but convince them to write a new authority that will end the self-destructive path Homeworld is on and allow gems of all types to chose their own path (something else possibly instrumental to this is Peridot, who has discovered the value of organic life much as Pink did, and has gained a ferrokinetic power during her time on Earth when Era 2 gems supposedly have no powers when created).
    Digo Dragon - Artist

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Aang and Steven
    Show
    I think that Avatar is a poor example of that. The resolution to the Ozai plot seemed wrong. It was a selfish action Aang did not to help people but because he didn't want to get his hands dirty. It's all well and good for everyone else to fight and kill and die, but Nooo Our dear precious Aang can't tarnish himself.

His own emotional well being was more important than safeguarding the world. So once again he ran away from his responsibilities.

With this a nonviolent solution is something that needs to be reached, partially because an empire needs rulers to keep things going, and Steven's not gonna take over, As well as the entire war being the result of a misunderstanding.

The rebellion was based on a lie, was based on someone running away from who they were and seeking the easy way out. The truth, and taking responsibility about it is what needs to happen.

Last edited by Devonix; 2018-05-09 at 10:08 AM.