New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Steven UnIVerse: 4shadowing

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Say you have two identical Barbarian builds, except where one Barbarian has 19 Strength, the other has 14. Who wins? The one with 19 Strength, right? Same principle. Amethyst is bad at being a Quartz because she's small, and Quartzes are supposed to be huge, beefy brutes.

Note that Amethyst wasn't fighting like she usually did against Jasper. Seriously, outside of her fight with Jasper, when has Amethyst actually tried to hit a person with her whip? She usually uses it for ranged grabs or as something akin to a slingshot, grabbing things and throwing them. Yet, all she was really doing was hitting Jasper with it.
    It's not the same principle at all. The level difference between the two barbarians would have to be huge to account for such a ****ing pathetic performance on Amethyst's part, and that would discount all of the fancy skirmish Amethyst does. Amethyst and Jasper have different fighting styles. Compare the too is like comparing plums and oranges. Except all of your plums are rotten and even though your bird mom has shown you that you can overcome nature to fight, your plum pudding turned out bad.

If it was two identical barbarian builds, they would at least be expect to deal damage to eachother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Steven's strength is impressive for a chubby 10 year old
    He is strong, but he's also 14. He's got that crazy puberty strength.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

If we're using the gaming example, Jasper's been levelling constantly for the last 5000+ years, in addition to having drawn a total genetic lottery, and she's been specializing in anti-Gem combat on top of that. Fighting is literally her life.

Amethyst spent an unknown number of centuries living alone with rocks for friends, and then was taken in by a small band of rebels more interested in teaching her how to enjoy life than in how to be an endless murder machine. She spent the next however many centuries hanging out, shapeshifting, and fighting the occasional monster, all of which were big dumb brutes without tactics or really much in the way of intellect, and even then she had Garnet and Rose to do the really heavy lifting. If she got in a real pinch, fusion was there.

And we've seen that Amethyst doesn't like feeling dumb, and she doesn't like feeling weak. She's not going to be doing much fight training with Pearl, or with Garnet, because when she does that training she goofs it up, and then she feels bad, and then she goes and makes egg salad.

And then Jasper comes along, and she triggers every one of Amethyst's buttons, and instead of fighting her properly Amethyst insists on trying to fight her like a Quartz soldier. She goes in for spin attacks and physical hits without her whip, she rams herself at the problem several times, and yeah. That's not going to work. At all.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    If we're using the gaming example, Jasper's been levelling constantly for the last 5000+ years, in addition to having drawn a total genetic lottery, and she's been specializing in anti-Gem combat on top of that. Fighting is literally her life.
    Jasper's pretty much the best non-fusion fighter on the show we've seen do battle so far. I'd guess that Lapis-with-large-body-of-water is the only non-fusion that could beat her.
    Last edited by Professor Gnoll; 2016-09-14 at 07:45 AM.
    Hazama avatar by me. Other avatars that I've made:
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    Jasper's pretty much the best non-fusion fighter on the show we've seen do battle so far. I'd guess that Lapis-with-large-body-of-water is the only non-fusion that could beat her.
    I'm sure this only sounds funny in my head but...

Lapis Lazuli used FUSION with THE ENTIRE FREAKING OCEAN! it's SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Foe JASPER has POOFED.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

"The ocean and I are getting fused! Isn't that right, ocean?

How come you never answer me, ocean?"
    Last edited by Fawkes; 2016-09-14 at 08:14 PM.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    "The ocean and I are getting fused! Isn't that right, ocean?

How come you never answer me, ocean?"
    LittleKuriboh needs to come back and abridge Steven Universe. "Sentient shape-shifting rocks" is about as ridiculous a premise as "children's card games."
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #187

LittleKuriboh needs to come back and abridge Steven Universe. "Sentient shape-shifting rocks" is about as ridiculous a premise as "children's card games."
    I get the intent of an Abridged series is to be a comedic and swift retelling of a long series, and thus SU might be okay for that given it's got so many episodes, but given how long the episodes ARE and the quality of the show, I don't think it'd work.

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I get the intent of an Abridged series is to be a comedic and swift retelling of a long series, and thus SU might be okay for that given it's got so many episodes, but given how long the episodes ARE and the quality of the show, I don't think it'd work.
    It would definitely be challenging, but there are many filler episodes that an abridged series can get rid of (since character building is not important). The rest of the episodes largely works together as a coherent story back to back. One or two 11-minute episodes chopped together into 5-minute abridged episodes? I can see that working.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, given the already light hearted and comedic nature of the show, you can't really parody it. It's already it's own parody. Yugioh is super easy to parody because it takes itself waaaaaaaaaay too seriously.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Technically, he is still here, and doing episodes of the latter. He has just have slowed down to the point where they come out once in a blue moon. you'd have more luck getting TFS to do it, since they have more people. but even they have DBZ to work on, numerous lets plays to pay the bills, FF7 machinabridged, and the occassional episode of Hellsing Abridge

as for Steven Universe Abridged......how? a single episode of the show, is ALREADY only 10 minutes long, the Gems themselves wouldn't find anything ridiculous about the premise, and Steven as a character wouldn't be one who asks enough questions to point all this out unless you completely derail his character, while Connie doesn't show up enough to be a proper straight man to the hypothetical Crystal Gem's wise guy. I guess Greg could play the role but he doesn't show up in every episode and he was the one who fell in love with Rose to begin with and STARTED this whole premise.

so quite simply, almost no one is in a position to offer proper comedic back-and-forth that all comedy rests on. that and I'd say a lot of the show's charm is the sincerity of it, an Abridged series version would lose that if they tried making fun of it.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

11. - Top - End - #191

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Connie doesn't show up enough to be a proper straight man...Greg could play the role but he doesn't show up in every episode and he was the one who fell in love with Rose to begin with and STARTED this whole premise.
    That's nothing that judicious editing can't fix. And who says we can't cannibalize characterization for the sake of cheap laughs?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

And who says we can't cannibalize characterization for the sake of cheap laughs?
    That's fair. One of my favorite parody series deconstructs the Mane 6 from MLP into alcoholics, *******s, insane people, and depressed horses (like the pink one... uh... Daisy?).
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-09-15 at 11:54 AM. Reason: fixed video link

13. - Top - End - #193

That's fair. One of my favorite parody series deconstructs the Mane 6 from MLP into alcoholics, *******s, insane people, and depressed horses (like the pink one... uh... Daisy?).
    Honestly at that point just make your own series.

14. - Top - End - #194

Animation is hard. "Remixing" someone else's animation is easy.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

15. - Top - End - #195

Animation is hard. "Remixing" someone else's animation is easy.
    This is true.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

He actually has done original animation. Getting that to take off is really hard on youtube, and at all. Like I said though, it is a deconstruction that gives reasons for why the characters behave the way they do. Twilight, for example, is dangerously antisocial at the start of the series, and the whole "being a mother at 6 as well as a master wizard in training" thing isn't really examined in the show proper.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah and its like, if you like the show why are you making a parody that just strips it of all its good parts? YGO abridged works in its derailing because the real thing takes itself too seriously. DBZ abridged works because it stays true to the characterization of all the characters and feel of the series while expanding, fleshing out and exaggerating the traits they already have so that its more colorful and lively rather than feeling bland aside from the fights.

Sure there is pokemon the 'Bridged Series, by Elite 3, but I didn't find it all that funny since all it does is make everyone aside from Misty horrible people for no reason, so it doesn't feel like there is any point to watching it.

I think there is also attempts at abridging things like Code Geass or One Piece, but PurpleEyes humor is just too random and surreal for any of it to really register to me.

You have to be careful about what you abridge, in my opinion. There are things like One Punch Man that, as TFS put it "is Shonen Anime Abridged". Its already the parody that you'd want to make, or is a thing is already taking something else and putting its own spin to it that works and will only get worse when you try to fool around with it. Steven Universe works because its a shonen anime protagonist dealing with shoujo anime problems, and is really good at recognizing and help with relationship problems despite his young age, and you can't really rework that into something funny from my perspective,

I mean sure you could try like, exaggerating the Crystal Gem's personalities to the extreme then have Steven be the snarky straight man, but he already has some straight man traits to him that nevertheless are mixed with his own goofiness that other people play straight man to. I just don't think it would work.

Steven Universe ain't broke. I don't think it needs fixing.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah and its like, if you like the show why are you making a parody that just strips it of all its good parts?
    The Mentally Advanced Series might be a little... advanced for you.

But seriously, you're going to have to watch the whole thing to understand it, starting with the Abridged Series and then moving onto the flash animated parody. It's really transcends the source material.

Steven Universe ain't broke. I don't think it needs fixing.
    Uh, it's not perfect. There are plenty of things that need fixing.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2016-09-15 at 04:13 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, given the already light hearted and comedic nature of the show, you can't really parody it. It's already it's own parody. Yugioh is super easy to parody because it takes itself waaaaaaaaaay too seriously.
    You could abridge it down to the serious parts, though. And sometimes you can take existing jokes and enhance or rework them.

eg. Steven telling Bismuth that new gems normally try to kill him; smash-cut to Bismuth trying to kill him while Steven says "well, boop" or the like.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aquillion View Post
    You could abridge it down to the serious parts, though. And sometimes you can take existing jokes and enhance or rework them.

eg. Steven telling Bismuth that new gems normally try to kill him; smash-cut to Bismuth trying to kill him while Steven says "well, boop" or the like.
    Yeah, I can see that.

You can do the same thing with Jasper saying "This planet ruins everything, except for me!" (which i have a t shirt of because I'm that fabulous), and then cut to her being corrupted and screaming.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

So Onion Gang is out if you guys wanna see it.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    ... Eh, it's onion. I'll get around to it.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh man ONION! ^_^
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

... Eh, it's onion. I'll get around to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Oh man ONION! ^_^
    The Duality of Man.
    Hazama avatar by me. Other avatars that I've made:
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

They DO NOT practice proper sling shot safety on that sling shot range! Never sling when you have a buddy down range!

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

i'm pretty sure they're all at least 80% evil incarnate. so i don't think they care.

Also, strange naming theme they have going...
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

i'm pretty sure they're all at least 80% evil incarnate. so i don't think they care.

Also, strange naming theme they have going...
    The real name of the episode is "Lord of the Beetles."

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

A lot of people say that Onion can potentially be somewhere on the autism spectrum.

I kind of see it now.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

29. - Top - End - #209

Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly something of note here is that Onion actually said words here. He spoke in whatever foreign language Yellowtail speaks in, but he DID speak.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly something of note here is that Onion actually said words here. He spoke in whatever foreign language Yellowtail speaks in, but he DID speak.
    He has spoken like that before. Only while talking with Yellowtail though.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers