New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Thread XXVII: Pokémon GO Recharge Your Phone!

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    I saw somebody abbreviating it "sumo" which while slightly less entertaining to use in front of people with no context is probably better than "s&m."
    Why not just SM then? That's how we've been doing it for literally every previous generation....

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

Because people are immature
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Firbolg in the Playground

SM is a bit better than S&M but a couple of people still crack jokes or get offended.
    Jude P.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, while we're talking about Sun and Moon, we should probably agree as a thread at what point we don't need to spoiler stuff anymore after the release. I think 1 week after release (Nov 25) is a good timeframe.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

5. - Top - End - #545
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Hey, while we're talking about Sun and Moon, we should probably agree as a thread at what point we don't need to spoiler stuff anymore after the release. I think 1 week after release (Nov 25) is a good timeframe.
    Give it two weeks, since that first week is thanksgiving and a lot of people won't have time to play right away due to familial obligations.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

6. - Top - End - #546
    Colossus in the Playground

I would say after Christmas. There are a lot of people who will receive the game then, but have no opportunity to get it earlier. Coming in to this thread and seeing "oh hey did you know that at the end of the game you become the Professor of Alola because the normal Professor is actually a Pokemon, isn't that a twist and a half" would suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

I would say spoil anything story/plot related - some of us won't be getting the game (hopefully) Christmas - but I don't think there should be much problem with the mechanical discussions and whatnot after a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I would say after Christmas. There are a lot of people who will receive the game then, but have no opportunity to get it earlier. Coming in to this thread and seeing "oh hey did you know that at the end of the game you become the Professor of Alola because the normal Professor is actually a Pokemon, isn't that a twist and a half" would suck.
    This, basically.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2016-10-19 at 11:47 AM.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Looks like the trip to town is being pushed off (again) to Friday (sorry Elhann!), so no chance at Volcanion yet...
    Don't worry. I already have your goomies ready, so once you're ready just message me.
    As I said, a Volcanion would be nice if you can get a spare code, but not required at all. I am also looking for HA amaura (just as hard to get) or HA grimer/muk, which may be easier to get. Else, one of your spare skrelps will do, or a random pidgey/rattata/whatever

Pokemon Y(Afo) an Alpha Sapphire (Al)
    Friend Code: 4656-7012-2957
    Friend safari: lilipup, loudred, ditto
    Available pokemon for trade: Follow the link.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

oh that'll be no problem. I would never dare to spoil such things for others, I'd be too wrapped in smugly knowing things that you don't about it and letting you find out what happens yourself.

Until then, I'mma go figure out what to do for a month. I've completed my watch through of the Hoenn region of the anime. now starting on Battle Frontier.

What I find notable about the Hoenn arc of the anime is how May basically becomes the Ash of Coordinators. Good enough to get to the finals, not enough to win them. It just seems to be a Curse that Ash has, that because May is traveling with him, affects him as well. Like maybe Ash has some weird curse on him that prevents people from achieving their dreams? It affects Brock by making him unable to get a single girl. It affects May by making her into a female coordinator version of himself. The only ones who seems to unaffected by it is Misty, who has become a great Gym Leader, and Tyson who gone on to straight up win the tournament rather than his last three rivals who either lost to him, or lost the match after him.
    Meanwhile Ritchie lost the match after Ash, Gary got beaten and is now a researcher, Morrison is a rival beaten and will never be seen again- really for these tournaments, they should have more people return to make an appearance.

The episode I liked the most was the episode with the Ralts, Kirlia and Gardevoir. and not just because those pokemon are my favorite, its also because it gave Max good character development, it had Team Rocket being competent in battle, and like one of the only times in all the anime that a pokemon other than Meowth speaks.

The episode I hate the most was the one with the Whiscash and the Master Ball. you know which one. One of the stupidest moments in pokemon history. there is even a later episode where May CATCHES a Munchlax by it eating a thrown Pokeball! So its not even consistent logic! And wouldn't one of the better ways of catching a pokemon without a battle be just like, painting a Pokeball to look like a Berry, leaving it out in the open and watching a pokemon try to eat it only to press the button with its mouth and get sucked in? I think that would totally work for more gullible pokemon. I mean pokeballs and berries are about the same size anyways...and if it was a Quick Ball....
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

10. - Top - End - #550

Yeah, I probably won't be playing very quickly. Vet school and stuff. Though I don't really mind spoilers myself, but agreed, probably fair to hold off until January.
    Jude P.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

Good day today, caught my first two magmars, in the rain. And yesterday I left my exeggutor in a botanic garden, near the oil producing plants. Because sometimes gym leaders need to be just a little trololololo. I also like how from time to time pokemon still seem to spawn near their old nests long after a new species has moved in. O, and a nearby park contained a rhyhorn. It seems the dark green official parks really are the place to look for those, even if they (the rhyhorns, not the parks) are pretty rare.

O, and part 3.5 of the Lockstin series is out. Mega load of sumo spoilers.

EDIT: Nice, the magmar in front of my door is the replacement of the abra/voltorb nest. Moar magmars! Too bad that this probably means exeggcute is gone. I was just about halfway to a second exeggutor, not counting leveling.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2016-10-20 at 05:28 PM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Sun/Moon
    Show
    Soo, apparently, the data miners looked at Ash-Greninja's base stats. If true, they are boosted to 145 Att, 153 SpA, 132 Speed.

Ash HAX is best HAX...!

Pahahahahahaha!

13. - Top - End - #553
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Show
    Soo, apparently, the data miners looked at Ash-Greninja's base stats. If true, they are boosted to 145 Att, 153 SpA, 132 Speed.

Ash HAX is best HAX...!

Pahahahahahaha!

Show
    Still doesn't seem nearly as good as protean, especially since it requires a kill to get going. I'd honestly probably prefer moxie. Or any of the -ate abilities.
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show

By Akrim.elf

By Balmas

Greatest nonsensical poem ever= Lewis Carroll: Jabberwocky

Officially WoodzyOwl, the Owlwoodsiest Owl of the Owlwood Woods, Keeper of the Wooden Owlwood Owl

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Woodzyowl View Post
    Show
    Still doesn't seem nearly as good as protean, especially since it requires a kill to get going. I'd honestly probably prefer moxie. Or any of the -ate abilities.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd have to re-look at the formula for damage calculations, but it looks like roughly 50% increase in his offense. Which matches Protean but allows additional STAB on Water and Dark moves on top of that. Not to mention the slight speed increase. Ya, it's tougher to use than Protean (and staying 1 type makes it easier to counter directly) but I'd say at least in Smogon, Ash-Greninja will still be banned to Ubers. All it takes is 1 KO to get the boost. Of course, if he un-transforms if he swaps, then it sucks in Smogon 6v6 and will never be used regardless of its tier.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

15. - Top - End - #555
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd have to re-look at the formula for damage calculations, but it looks like roughly 50% increase in his offense. Which matches Protean but allows additional STAB on Water and Dark moves on top of that. Not to mention the slight speed increase. Ya, it's tougher to use than Protean (and staying 1 type makes it easier to counter directly) but I'd say at least in Smogon, Ash-Greninja will still be banned to Ubers. All it takes is 1 KO to get the boost. Of course, if he un-transforms if he swaps, then it sucks in Smogon 6v6 and will never be used regardless of its tier.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's an increase of 50 to each base attack stat and 10 to speed, but those don't include things like IVs and EVs. With those included at level 100, it would be an increase of around 30% for the attacks and only 6% for the speed (assuming max EVs and IVs)
    Assuming you're using the DOU set on Smogon (Naive and 64A/236SpA/208Spe EVs), it would boost the attack from 242 to 342, SpA from 301 to 401, and Spd from 365 to 387.
    So not strictly awful, but you'd be getting a bigger boost from any choice item and a far bigger boost with life orb+protean. All you'd be missing is the increase in speed, and Greninja is already ridiculously fast.
    Last edited by Woodzyowl; 2016-10-21 at 01:07 PM.
    Show

By Akrim.elf

By Balmas

Officially WoodzyOwl, the Owlwoodsiest Owl of the Owlwood Woods, Keeper of the Wooden Owlwood Owl

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Besides what Woodzy said: this isn't Mega Evolution. It doesn't activate on the first turn.

It's good, but there's no contest here.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Besides what Woodzy said: this isn't Mega Evolution. It doesn't activate on the first turn.

It's good, but there's no contest here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think it will either be broken similar to Protean before. Or it will be basically worthless. I very much doubt it will sit somewhere inbetween that will be useful without being overpowered. It's too reliant on getting a KO (which is easy to avoid, though it does put the defender in awkward, lose-lose situations). But if it does get a KO (and it stays transformed for the whole match), it'll wreck house.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

18. - Top - End - #558
    Troll in the Playground

So I've been playing Platinum on my old DS, and wanted to get it online so I could trade my Kadabra to get an Alakazam, but apparently the DS uses an old encryption thingie called WEP for it's wireless instead of WPA. Does anyone know a way around this or do I have to find someone in person to trade with?

----

Also I've heard something about Sun / Moon not running well on older 3DS;s / 2Ds's?
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #559
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

The wireless services for the DS games aren't alive anymore anyway, so you'd need to trade in person anyways.
    Show

By Akrim.elf

By Balmas

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    So I've been playing Platinum on my old DS, and wanted to get it online so I could trade my Kadabra to get an Alakazam, but apparently the DS uses an old encryption thingie called WEP for it's wireless instead of WPA. Does anyone know a way around this or do I have to find someone in person to trade with?
    All online services for the DS games were shut down years ago.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

The Sun/Moon demo runs fine on my 3DS which is an original.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Also I've heard something about Sun / Moon not running well on older 3DS;s / 2Ds's?
    I think its only if you turn on the 3-D part.

also, that it takes up like.....3.2 gigs of space if I remember. when normal 3ds's only have 4 gigs on their SD card. so hope you have the memory for it. I'll have to bite the bullet and delete some stuff from Super Smash Bros to get enough blocks, from what I know.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

23. - Top - End - #563

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I think its only if you turn on the 3-D part.

also, that it takes up like.....3.2 gigs of space if I remember. when normal 3ds's only have 4 gigs on their SD card. so hope you have the memory for it. I'll have to bite the bullet and delete some stuff from Super Smash Bros to get enough blocks, from what I know.
    Isn't it possible to copy your data to another SD card? You can get an 8GB or 16GB card for like $10 or less these days.
    Jude P.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

Isn't it possible to copy your data to another SD card? You can get an 8GB or 16GB card for like $10 or less these days.
    It is possible! I have two SD cards that can be swapped. My second one just barely had room for the demo.

Just make sure to look up what the maximum size is, I don't think the 3DS will accept the larger size cards?

edit: and when I say "size" I mean memory capacity
    Last edited by cobaltstarfire; 2016-10-21 at 02:28 PM. Reason: just clarifying

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That's definitely possible.
    Already had to upgrade mine two times.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

26. - Top - End - #566
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

The max they take is 32 gigs, which I can see on Amazon for $9. Though if you're like me and want only the highest performance, you're looking at more like $25.
    Show

By Akrim.elf

By Balmas

27. - Top - End - #567
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It's an increase of 50 to each base attack stat and 10 to speed, but those don't include things like IVs and EVs. With those included at level 100, it would be an increase of around 30% for the attacks and only 6% for the speed (assuming max EVs and IVs)
    Assuming you're using the DOU set on Smogon (Naive and 64A/236SpA/208Spe EVs), it would boost the attack from 242 to 342, SpA from 301 to 401, and Spd from 365 to 387.
    So not strictly awful, but you'd be getting a bigger boost from any choice item and a far bigger boost with life orb+protean. All you'd be missing is the increase in speed, and Greninja is already ridiculously fast.
    Show
    Preportedly, it's hard coded to Hardy, with max IVs but a pre-determined EV spread. Jury's out whether you'll be able to modify that with EV berries as normal.

Think they missed a trick in that when you go into Ash-Greninja mode, they could have doen a version of the Ash-Greninja theme...! (Maybe in the main game...?) I found someone who'd done a Sun/Moon-style remix of it was it was frack-awesome...!

28. - Top - End - #568

PoGo question re: gym training update. Does anybody know how much higher your Pokémon's CP has to be for the defender's CP to not go down? It seems like anytime I see a defender with CP>2000 it'll always drop a little regardless of what I bring in and I'm just curious how they're calculating it. For reference, my highest is currently a cp2612 Snorlax at level 29.5.
    Jude P.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

So, I gots me a couple of Volcanion codes. I asked, and that was the maximum amount they were allowed to give you; the lass said it was the same limit for the staff, actually. Apparently, it's a Nintendo mandate, she presumed to stop people grabbing loads and selling them. I said that was fine, and said that I had been half-expecting to be allowed only one. So one for oneself and one for trade isn't too bad, given that...

So, Elhann, you're in luck, since you asked first! I think probably the best thing to do is PM you the code (you're in the UK, right?) And we'll try and touch bases to do some trading at some point. (I should be around most of tomorrow - well, starting from about midday, anyway...)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2016-10-22 at 08:33 PM.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Troll in the Playground

PoGo question re: gym training update. Does anybody know how much higher your Pokémon's CP has to be for the defender's CP to not go down? It seems like anytime I see a defender with CP>2000 it'll always drop a little regardless of what I bring in and I'm just curious how they're calculating it. For reference, my highest is currently a cp2612 Snorlax at level 29.5.
    Wait, what? CP goes down from being in a gym? Permanently, or just until knocked out?

Edit: Ah, just for the fight to make training easier. I think it might depend on the pokemon's level and the training players level rather than respective CPs. No idea what the calculation would be.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2016-10-22 at 11:29 PM.