New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Thread XXVII: Pokémon GO Recharge Your Phone!

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    ABSOLUTE MINIMUM of three years of more, whatever the anime says, every episode takes place over AT LEAST one day and often two and we're into 800-odd episodes. so Ash cannot possibly be less than about thirteen at this point. (And unlike pony, I'm not volenterring to go back and watch the entire show and do an estimated day count...!
    Wait, just fact checking, do we have confirmation that the anime takes place in a ~365 days per year cycle? I once heard of a tri-state area that managed to make summer vacation last 104 and 223 days, simultaneously.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Wait, just fact checking, do we have confirmation that the anime takes place in a ~365 days per year cycle? I once heard of a tri-state area that managed to make summer vacation last 104 and 223 days, simultaneously.
    There's an episode in the Johto series which celebrates the 1 year anniversary of Ash meeting Pikachu (which would be his 11th birthday). Also, at the start of Unova, Ash says he's 15 (in the Japanese cut, it was changed to 10 in the US dub). His 'not getting older' malarkey is entirely on the US dub team.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    PoGo-ers, does 'mon size appear to get displayed with the new Buddy update? Is there an visible difference between a massive 'mon and a miniscule one?

On that note, does 'mon size affect anything? Hp? Speed? Anything?
    The update still doesn't seem to have gone live, at least around here.
    Jude P.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    Spoiler: Sun and Moon
    Show
    One thing though, wasn't it said that Rockruff and the starters 'share a secret'? Is that supposed to mean that the starters also are affected by the day and night cycles? Starters with a split evolution would be a pretty big thing I think.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My money is still on them being the origin of Type Null together. It seems to make sense looking at Null's design.

Spoiler
    Show
    Curious that they are given the same number, is that supposed to imply that they are in fact the same entity only in different forms?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, most likely. I don't think pokémon does "they were wrongly classified, turns out they were actually different beings all the time!"
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2016-09-13 at 04:18 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    There's an episode in the Johto series which celebrates the 1 year anniversary of Ash meeting Pikachu (which would be his 11th birthday). Also, at the start of Unova, Ash says he's 15 (in the Japanese cut, it was changed to 10 in the US dub). His 'not getting older' malarkey is entirely on the US dub team.
    Ah good, more evidence that the whole Eight badges and League routine take only one year to fully accomplish using normal means. One region, one year.

Ignoring of course Theoretical In-Universe Speed Run Tactics that I'm sure the Theoretical Insanely Competitive Pokemon Trainers use to finish the Gyms as fast as possible just so that they can use the rest of the time to focus on training for their real opponents with diverse teams and powerful strategies.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Ignoring of course Theoretical In-Universe Speed Run Tactics that I'm sure the Theoretical Insanely Competitive Pokemon Trainers use to finish the Gyms as fast as possible just so that they can use the rest of the time to focus on training for their real opponents with diverse teams and powerful strategies.
    You mean, a car?
    Jude P.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You mean, a car?
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......

you think people in Pokemon need cars. Thats a good joke.

Tactic No. 1: Flying pokemon. This is the slowest, and much faster than a car

Tactic No. 2: Teleporting pokemon. Which is much faster than flying.

My headcanon is that all the trainers that Ash keeps losing to/only wishes he could be are the kind of people that have already done the year-long journey once, get an Alakazam or other Psychic type and teleport around to each city with a Gym of the region to try and defeat every single Gym Leader within a maximum time of eight days, then spend the other 357 days constantly obsessively training in isolated areas so that no one sees their strategy or tactics and teleport back to the cities to have fun when they take breaks. and that the Gym Leaders always dread the START of the year since it means all the experienced people who have completed one or more regional circuits come by in a rush to defeat them just to get it out of the way, then look forward to the rest of the year where normal trainers and people just starting out come to them the normal way, meaning they can relax most of the time and don't have to work as hard for the crazy competitive ones.

8. - Top - End - #128

Tactic No. 1: Flying pokemon. This is the slowest, and much faster than a car

Tactic No. 2: Teleporting pokemon. Which is much faster than flying.

My headcanon is that all the trainers that Ash keeps losing to/only wishes he could be are the kind of people that have already done the year-long journey once, get an Alakazam or other Psychic type and teleport around to each city with a Gym of the region to try and defeat every single Gym Leader within a maximum time of eight days, then spend the other 357 days constantly obsessively training in isolated areas so that no one sees their strategy or tactics and teleport back to the cities to have fun when they take breaks. and that the Gym Leaders always dread the START of the year since it means all the experienced people who have completed one or more regional circuits come by in a rush to defeat them just to get it out of the way, then look forward to the rest of the year where normal trainers and people just starting out come to them the normal way, meaning they can relax most of the time and don't have to work as hard for the crazy competitive ones.
    Eh, I'm sure people from some towns don't get access to a flying Pokémon (and I don't mean Pokémon that can learn the move Fly, I mean a Pokémon that's realistically big enough to carry a person) until they've covered a couple of gyms, depending on the area they're from and which routes they take.

As for teleport, that has even more limited distribution, and I wouldn't be surprised if psychics are the only ones who can actually get a Pokémon to teleport to a specific place rather than just back to a semi-random safe place they've been recently.
    Jude P.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Oh ho, REAAAALLLY?

Now that IS interesting.

So, yes, the age ten is officially a load of cobbler's then; just like we've been saying all along.

Ah good, more evidence that the whole Eight badges and League routine take only one year to fully accomplish using normal means. One region, one year.

Actually, as far back as Ash's FIRST eight badge in Viridian, Ash outright says "I can't believe it's been nearly a year since we were last here!" So it's not like it wasn't like this from the start, it's obviously really just apparently the US dub people still have not got over their astouding dips into idiocy (let us not forget the whole "call riceballs everything but what they clearly are" fiasco of the original series...." And the original Japanese show writers aren't that daft - and good for them.

Aside from the number of people in Pokémon that actually have and use cars...?

(Starting with Gary back in season one...?)

Sure, they are less common than in western society, but they exist.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2016-09-13 at 08:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Aside from the number of people in Pokémon that actually have and use cars...?

(Starting with Gary back in season one...?)

Sure, they are less common than in western society, but they exist.
    But people are mildly afraid of the possibility that there could be a mythical pokémon hiding underneath them.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh ho, REAAAALLLY?

(let us not forget the whole "call riceballs everything but what they clearly are" fiasco of the original series...." And the original Japanese show writers aren't that daft - and good for them.

In all fairness, 4kids was doing the localization at that time, and they did feel that children were too stupid to handle or understand any amount of non-US culture (and also too stupid to notice that those "hamburgers" definitely were not hamburgers) TPC handles it now, and they aren't quite as draconian about localization.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

A few more CoroCoro leaks have cropped up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing much, Midday form gets a priority Rock move and Midnight form gets Counter.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    In all fairness, 4kids was doing the localization at that time, and they did feel that children were too stupid to handle or understand any amount of non-US culture (and also too stupid to notice that those "hamburgers" definitely were not hamburgers) TPC handles it now, and they aren't quite as draconian about localization.
    But wren't they the ones oin charge of Pokémon by the time Unova roled around? Which means they kinda aren't much better than 4Kids (eventually) was.

And they SUCK at title themes; the only one that was more than adequate at best was the new remix of the original for XY. Certainly nothing to reach the level of Born to Be a Winner, Master Quest and the best theme to date Advanced Battle (and the rest of the pre-Battle Frontier themes were not bad either).

(Speaking of why in the merry heck is there nowhere that's got the English song Ultimate Challenge/This is the Moment that plays in the background of some of the big fights this season! Dammit, I want to hear a clean version of that but it seems none such exists? What giuves guys? The only decent song you concocted you hid away...?)

So, I just watched the final battle between Ash and Paul...

Unholy fracking crap, three episodes! Now that's what we're talking about.

Sort of a massive anticlimax to get Ash inevitable knocked out in the next round by Man with Darkrai - which even if I hadn't already osmosed that would be obvious - since the stakes are just not there. As Pokémon has - despite a few twists and turns - leaned a little bit too heavily on the only matches with any weight being those against priorly known characters, and the Ash/Paul arc was one of the - of not, really the actual - driving force between the series, having them face off in the quarter-finals means one of two things: either Paul was going to win (and thus prove Ash wrong) or Ash was going to be knocked out next round... Because there's no narrative investment in it. If they were going to have Ash win the league, he'd have come up against Paul in the final round, to maximise the dramatic stake and impact. Bringing in Man With Legendary only at the start of the league (bettin' he's going to win the league) might have worked in previous arcs, where each battle was played out in full and it wa about Ash's battles... But this arc, Non-recurring characters have been so minimised to be irrevelant. So it's quite clear that the narrative weight was placed on Ash vrs Paul and not Ash winning the league.

Contrast with Dawn's arc. Her final battle with Zoe was really good, because we knew both sides and when Zoe won, it felt to the audience (or at least to me), she'd earned it, sicne we'd seen her grow as well. (And - honestly - i was expecting Nando to win the contest, so they actually got me there.)

I am expecting some sort of half-arsed kerb-stomp by Man With Hax to prove that well, woo, he's got a Darkrai, so he can brute force his way to victory. 'Cos I'm guessing we're not going to get a proper slugging match like we did with Master Quest, after Ash took down Barry and then what'shis-face with the Blakizen very narrowly beat Ash.

Guess we'll see, though. DP HAS managed to surprise me several times by doing not what I expected...

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

But wren't they the ones oin charge of Pokémon by the time Unova roled around? Which means they kinda aren't much better than 4Kids (eventually) was.

And they SUCK at title themes; the only one that was more than adequate at best was the new remix of the original for XY. Certainly nothing to reach the level of Born to Be a Winner, Master Quest and the best theme to date Advanced Battle (and the rest of the pre-Battle Frontier themes were not bad either).

(Speaking of why in the merry heck is there nowhere that's got the English song Ultimate Challenge/This is the Moment that plays in the background of some of the big fights this season! Dammit, I want to hear a clean version of that but it seems none such exists? What giuves guys? The only decent song you concocted you hid away...?)

So, I just watched the final battle between Ash and Paul...

Unholy fracking crap, three episodes! Now that's what we're talking about.

Sort of a massive anticlimax to get Ash inevitable knocked out in the next round by Man with Darkrai - which even if I hadn't already osmosed that would be obvious - since the stakes are just not there. As Pokémon has - despite a few twists and turns - leaned a little bit too heavily on the only matches with any weight being those against priorly known characters, and the Ash/Paul arc was one of the - of not, really the actual - driving force between the series, having them face off in the quarter-finals means one of two things: either Paul was going to win (and thus prove Ash wrong) or Ash was going to be knocked out next round... Because there's no narrative investment in it. If they were going to have Ash win the league, he'd have come up against Paul in the final round, to maximise the dramatic stake and impact. Bringing in Man With Legendary only at the start of the league (bettin' he's going to win the league) might have worked in previous arcs, where each battle was played out in full and it wa about Ash's battles... But this arc, Non-recurring characters have been so minimised to be irrevelant. So it's quite clear that the narrative weight was placed on Ash vrs Paul and not Ash winning the league.

Contrast with Dawn's arc. Her final battle with Zoe was really good, because we knew both sides and when Zoe won, it felt to the audience (or at least to me), she'd earned it, sicne we'd seen her grow as well. (And - honestly - i was expecting Nando to win the contest, so they actually got me there.)

I am expecting some sort of half-arsed kerb-stomp by Man With Hax to prove that well, woo, he's got a Darkrai, so he can brute force his way to victory. 'Cos I'm guessing we're not going to get a proper slugging match like we did with Master Quest, after Ash took down Barry and then what'shis-face with the Blakizen very narrowly beat Ash.

Guess we'll see, though. DP HAS managed to surprise me several times by doing not what I expected...
    WARNING! THIS IS A SPOILER FOR YOU! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ash gets curbstomped, but he's the only one who managed to defeat the Darkrai at all (no one else manages that). A Latios cleans up Ash's team.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

The last I watched dubbed pokemon was sometime during the Johto league, so I don't really know how terrible TPC is/was once they took over.

I have tried watching some of the newer stuff dubbed, but the differences in the voices is really distracting. All I've watched of any of the newer stuff has been subs.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

I personally stopped watching the anime just because I was tired of Ash and Pikachu as the protagonists.

Hypothetical scenario:

If you could pitch a Pokemon anime (or manga for that matter) how would you go about it? Keep the same protagonist for each region or switch them up? What about mascot Pokemon? How would the protagonist's team look at the end? What would the final tournament challenge be like? Would there even be a tournament? Anything else you'd change?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

It's weird that the skill ceiling is reachable in a year, though, right? Just one of those things they have to do because it's a TV show and a video game.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

@MesiDoomstalker

I'll hold on looking (and why I didn't quote directly), 'cos it won't be long now until I watch the last few episodes of DP...

I have tried watching some of the newer stuff dubbed, but the differences in the voices is really distracting. All I've watched of any of the newer stuff has been subs.
    After ten years, I've gotten used to the voice change enough to not notice it, but it was what put me off Battle Frontier, and why I missed DP (to my detriment) until now.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post
    I personally stopped watching the anime just because I was tired of Ash and Pikachu as the protagonists.
    But they're the best part!

(Well, when Ash is allowed to actually grow and display his increasing skills and - yes, even occasionally - maturity. Something DP has done rather well, I think.)

My best arguement, though is thus:

Thunder.

Armour.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob
    Hypothetical scenario:

If you could pitch a Pokemon anime (or manga for that matter) how would you go about it? Keep the same protagonist for each region or switch them up? What about mascot Pokemon? How would the protagonist's team look at the end? What would the final tournament challenge be like? Would there even be a tournament? Anything else you'd change?
    Honestly... I wouldn't change that much. As mentioned, I rather like Ash and Pikachu. I'd notch the aimed maturity up a couple of notches though - not much, just enough to avoid some of the exposition that we really don't need (like every time some says "that's right, fire types are weak to water types" in the peanut gallery...) I'd break away a little further from the adherance to the game mechanics a little more (I was going to save this for the overview when I finish the series, but I'll say it here - my biggest mark against DP is it's just a little bit to game-y in the way things are done and explained. Pretend like the game mechanics are an imperfect simulation of the reality and they've taken some liberties for interesting game balance.)

As I've often mentioned, I'm a big fan of Saphroneth's huge Ashes of the Past fanfiction. I'd actually do a lot of what he does (one of the reasons I like it is because it does so many things I like). I'd aim for that sort of level; pretty light-hearted, but intense where needed. It also - as I would do - doesn't limit the number of moves the Pokémon know to four, but as many as they can take the time and effort to learn.

I'd drastically drop back Team Rocket's appearances... (Something Ashes also does, and also makes them more competant and more sort-of anti-heroes rather than antagonists and it works very well in the context of the story.) And.. do SOMETHING with Jessie. I dunno what. James I actually have some time for (when he's not being Team Rocket-y, he can be pretty damn awesome), Meowth I can take or leave, but Jessie just grates on my nerves. (The voice doesn't help - no denigration to either voice actress, its the CHARACTER'S voice that is the problem...)

I'd bring back a lot of the older characters much more frequently, and rather than have a whole new set of characters each time, maybe just the one (with Ash sort of acting partly as mentor in his old age...!), plus a rotating mix of the older (i.e. from earlier series) characters, for kicks and giggles and because frankly I'd love to see them all interact more. I love ensemble casts. (And obviously, not keep them statically aging, though I'd definitely make Ash looking like he's really young and short be a running gag.) I'd certainly take DP's vastly increased number of supporting cast (though I'd not exclude the random nameless trainers completely from relevance).

So, were I at the helm, you might see Ash heading to Alola with Misty and Dawn... Or Brock and Gary... Or Zoe and Max... Or Tracy and Paul (yeah, why not? Put him into a few situations of daftnitude and crack his composure a bit... Basically, do a bit of Neij Hyuuga In A Dress syndrome on him (that never isn't funny). Heck, even Sasuke was fun when he was allowed to be the butt of the joke occasionally.)

I'd make way more of Bunary's crush on Pikachu and Bayleef's on Ash, because that's just hilarious. Actually, I'd definitely mine the whole shipping thing around, with Ash completely (or, just occasionally hinted, deliberately) oblivious to it all, 'cos that's damned funny as well. (I am in favour of shipping and romance principally when it can be used as a comedy gold-mine, or at least for cheap laughs.)

I might take pity on Brock a bit though; for all he's... overeager, he is a decent chap when all's said and done. Maybe throw someone at him who pre-empts his flowery "handsome Brock" routine with an equally daft routine of her own, just to see the complete "what in the actual frack" reactions from Brock, his Pokémon and his companions...

Naruto - at it's best - did a fine job with a cast of about fifteen, so I don't see why Pokémon couldn't attempt that a little bit more...!

Huh. Okay, that's perhaps a bit more than "not much," but whatever...!

19. - Top - End - #139
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DiscipleofBob View Post

Hypothetical scenario:

I'd probably switch to a different protagonist when switching regions, so that characters have cohesive ends to their story arcs, and to prevent power resets. Older protagonists could show up in later regions.
    I'd deliberately place focus on Pokémon without a lot of focus, rather than mascots. Final teams for the protagonist would vary in size from six to ten members, with members being rotated out occasionally if it's past six. Typing balance would be considered and advanced strategies from the games would appear in the hands of skilled trainers.
    The finale would probably vary by region. The Elite Four probably wouldn't require winning a tournament to challenge them on top of getting the gym badges, but tournament as finale could still occur with unrelated tournaments, or the final battle could be against the villainous team instead of the champion.

EDIT: The question doesn't state whether we're making something new or changing the existing anime, this is assuming I'm making something new.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2016-09-13 at 02:16 PM.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    It's weird that the skill ceiling is reachable in a year, though, right? Just one of those things they have to do because it's a TV show and a video game.
    Who says that's the skill ceiling? It's one thing to rack up enough badges to challenge the Elite Four (you see loads of trainers on Victory Road) but it's another thing entirely to actually challenge them and win.

And then there are things like Battle Frontier where you can only go once you've beaten the Champion, and where way, way, way stronger trainers congregate in massive numbers. As far back as Gold/Silver, it took Red (a much better trainer than Ash, or for that matter anyone else in the games) three years to get from "beat the Elite Four" good to "level 70 and 80 Pokemon" good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

After ten years, I've gotten used to the voice change enough to not notice it, but it was what put me off Battle Frontier, and why I missed DP (to my detriment) until now.
    I don't have ten years of watching to help me get used to them unfortunately. I stopped watching before the voices changed because of a combination of being too busy from school, and/or not having access to a tv at all, it was so long ago that I can't really keep my memories from that far back straight. It's just something I have to accept. It doesn't help that ontop of the voices feeling distressingly off to me they often add really cringeworthy pop music in place of the nice orchestral track of the originals.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

I don't have ten years of watching to help me get used to them unfortunately. I stopped watching before the voices changed because of a combination of being too busy from school, and/or not having access to a tv at all, it was so long ago that I can't really keep my memories from that far back straight. It's just something I have to accept. It doesn't help that ontop of the voices feeling distressingly off to me they often add really cringeworthy pop music in place of the nice orchestral track of the originals.
    I haven't been watching it, either - I stopped watching regularly after Advanced Battle. But ten years and the odd periodic episode softened the blow somewhat. And by the time I'd got several episodes into Diamond & Pearl, it had softened enough I'd didn't notice it anymore.

DP isn't a bad one to pick up actually - with a new main protagonist and it... Not being a bit pants like what little of BW I've seen. I would definitely say it's one of the strongest arcs in the series - maybe even the strongest. There are way less filler episodes and almost none in the first season; and even many of the fillers are a bit higher standard.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    I'd probably switch to a different protagonist when switching regions, so that characters have cohesive ends to their story arcs, and to prevent power resets. Older protagonists could show up in later regions.
    I'd deliberately place focus on Pokémon without a lot of focus, rather than mascots. Final teams for the protagonist would vary in size from six to ten members, with members being rotated out occasionally if it's past six. Typing balance would be considered and advanced strategies from the games would appear in the hands of skilled trainers.
    The finale would probably vary by region. The Elite Four probably wouldn't require winning a tournament to challenge them on top of getting the gym badges, but tournament as finale could still occur with unrelated tournaments, or the final battle could be against the villainous team instead of the champion.
    *Cough* Pokemon Adventures
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

24. - Top - End - #144
    Barbarian in the Playground

Looking at getting into watching the shows, since it has been *ages* since I watched them last. Any recommendations on where to find good subs? This is being triggered by me seeing Pokemon Indigo on Netflix... And then recoiling in horror at the English Dub of the show.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

I'm interpreting the question as "what would you do with the/a pokémon series if you were approached to tackle it and do things differently than so far?" This is not going to happen to anybody, Ash is staying, but it's a nice thought experiment.

I might give the series more protagonists, using the recipe for characters like Brock and Misty and all Ash's other companions a bit. They're characters about whom you know all the important stuff after seeing half an episode, and who you remember correctly ten seconds into their next appearance. They're also characters who don't have everything in the world revolving around them. One episode you're watching "rock pokémon guy who can't be near women" and "the drawing guy with the marill", next episode it's the turn of "pokémon beauty competition girl", "that girl with those water pokémon plus the one that looks like an egg" and "that weird talking Meowth". And the episode after that we follow yet a third group, who meets with either of the first two and mixes the teams up. It's not as attractive for binge watching maybe, nor for really irregular viewers, but it's pretty good for semi-regular out of order viewers. And there can still be some kind of overarching storyline, it's just going to end up fragmented differently.

The big draw is probably that people can have genuine skill without them looking like they found the cheat codes for life, as Ash often does outside of big competition matches. There is bound to be a character who likes physically strong pokémon and trains them in hand to hand techniques who can be a legitimate contender in the Pokémon K1 or Pokémon sumo wrestling. And another character likes fast pokémon and can do pokémon racing and extreme pokémon/pokémon racing on a skateboard. Maybe that last one has one or more birds as well, or a scyther or something, and they can do the episodes where they find someone in the forest by letting the flyer scout. There would be less potential for switching to an entirely new generation of pokémon every few years, the teams need some continuity, or it might get too confusing, but there could be additions and leavers over time. I'd avoid giving them too many pokémon per person. It's kind of weird when you think about it how Ash travels around with some tiny funny pokémon, trains them all the time and then decides they're not strong enough yet, so he'll just handle the real matches using some random pokémon he never spent more than a few days with since their capture. Let them travel and battle with their real teams.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

If I had control over the anime....

I'd probably make it the fan fiction I'm already writing. My own protagonist, actual goals other than some nebulous "to be a master" motivation that doesn't really mean anything, my own take on the pokemon world in general, a start in Kalos, and just generally doing everything my way. The goal for my protagonist would actually be to capture Mew and wouldn't be concerned at all about being the "best" or "strongest" trainer ever- they would just want to catch the pokemon they'd want to catch, train and befriend them and battle with them. I'd err on the side of awesome. though I'd probably leave everything a little jokey, snarky and ridiculous as a result. Also no lack of progress- no resets like with Ash, and would probably make fun of the concept at the same time.

27. - Top - End - #147

Buddy update is live, at least in several parts of the US.
    Jude P.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manticoran View Post
    Looking at getting into watching the shows, since it has been *ages* since I watched them last. Any recommendations on where to find good subs? This is being triggered by me seeing Pokemon Indigo on Netflix... And then recoiling in horror at the English Dub of the show.
    I don't think the forum rules allow us to really point you towards subs...cause they're not technically legal.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't think the forum rules allow us to really point you towards subs...cause they're not technically legal.
    ...There's actually nowhere legal to find subs of these shows? That's insane.