New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Thread XXVII: Pokémon GO Recharge Your Phone!

At this point I'm just hoping I'll get Porygon, Lapras, and Aerodactyl out of eggs, so I've started spending my gym coins on extra incubators.
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2016-09-11 at 09:47 AM.
    Jude P.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldeWolf View Post
    Spoiler: The power of theories
    Show
    Does that mean that they are ultra beasts?
    Spoiler
    Show

Basically that. The ultra beasts and the aether humans are two forms of the same beings, either ascended humans or descended something else.

Compare these two pictures.

That's not a coincidence.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2016-09-11 at 01:43 PM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Basically that. The ultra beasts and the aether humans are two forms of the same beings, either ascended humans or descended something else.

Spoiler
    Show
    Or, well, the beast modeled its attitude after her...
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Female Alcor/ Al Saiduq?
    Does this mean this Gen. will be the Pokémon version of Devil Survivor 2?
    Considering that was basically Shin Megami Tensei: Neon Genesis Evangelion that association doesn't bode well.

But, to be honest, a Pokémon version of that game sounds like a awesome idea.
    Three sources of nightmares combined.
    It would be fun
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: On Ultra Beasts
    Show

Or maybe, its the other way around?

Maybe its the Aether Foundation's attempt at transhumanism by turning themselves into pokemon? They are really scientific right? and the Ultra Beast looks a little like an eldritch abomination right? So like, an Ultra Beast is what happens when a human tries to become a pokemon through some method. So either eldritch abomination into human, or human into eldritch abomination

The only question remaining: can I catch them?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

...Brock is only supposed to be 15? Seriously? I really thought he would have been one of the rare older characters (though in the world of anime I guess being 15 would be considered 'older' in this world of 12 year olds and younger...). The whole absurdly young protagonist thing is a constant annoyance I have with most anime, it drive me crazy because more often then not it just flat out breaks my suspension of disbelief in any given situation. Pilot a giant robot? Battle ancient evil? Clearly only a pre-teen can accomplish such feats. And before anyone tries to chime in to correct me on something I'm very aware that the protagonists being the age that they are is a demographic thing, but I still think it's stupid.

Actually now that I think about it, I'm really kind of wondering just how hard the requirements to be a Gym Leader actually are if most Gyms are held by children.

Spoiler: On Ultra Beasts
    Show
    These theories you guys have are interesting. Granted, naysayer that I am, personally they seem a little far-fetched \ to me I do still feel inclined to point out that they seem to make a point on how the movement of UB-01 resembles that of a young girl (whatever that is supposed to mean. I mean 'resemblance of a young girl' I would get considering things that can be seen as arms, legs, hair, etc. But specifically 'movement'?).
    That there is a connection though, that I buy, but it also really makes me wonder when also considering this:
    Spoiler: About resemblance
    Show

Lusamine
    Spoiler
    Show

Lillie
    Spoiler
    Show

and Gladion
    Spoiler
    Show

are most likely related. They also share the aether weird green eyes.

Seriously, even the grunts have that eye colour. What is up with that?
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2016-09-11 at 06:40 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

More adventures (and questions) in Pokemon Breeding!

So, I've succesfully bred my first perfect pokemon; a 31/31/31/x/31/31 Adamant Huge Power Marill. I now have it breeding with a 4x 31 IV female so I can get a perfect female. However, I'd like to breed in Belly Drum and Aqua Jet. I'm afraid I'm feeling a bit lost as to how to go about it. Is there anything I should do beyond catching a Male Poliwhirl and Floatzel in the friend safari, breeding them with the Perfect female, and then breeding the offspring with the a perfect parent of the appropriate gender until I get a Perfect Marill again?

In a related note, if anyone wants a Marill with 4+ Perfect IVs, let me know, because my storage box is rapidly becoming infested with rotund blue mice.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I started breeding Marrils because I caught one in ORAS and wanted to make it part of my team, but remembered the azurill I could catch in XY would have 3+ perfect IVs, and then I got carried away. Anyway, this leads to a question- Is Gardevoir-Sceptile-Azumarill a decent starting point for an ORAS team, or is 2 fairies to much of a steel weakness?
    Last edited by Squark; 2016-09-11 at 07:00 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BiblioRook View Post
    ...Brock is only supposed to be 15? Seriously? I really thought he would have been one of the rare older characters (though in the world of anime I guess being 15 would be considered 'older' in this world of 12 year olds and younger...). The whole absurdly young protagonist thing is a constant annoyance I have with most anime, it drive me crazy because more often then not it just flat out breaks my suspension of disbelief in any given situation. Pilot a giant robot? Battle ancient evil? Clearly only a pre-teen can accomplish such feats. And before anyone tries to chime in to correct me on something I'm very aware that the protagonists being the age that they are is a demographic thing, but I still think it's stupid.
    It's also just flat out inaccurate in a lot of cases, and while I'm not necessarily saying that the cases where that doesn't happen are on the whole better I'm also not saying it would surprise me if they were.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

The buddy system is going live in the next Go update, apparently. This update will also block jailbroken and rooted phones, which should stop cheating (and lots of general techie players) for at least like a week or so.

As a personal victory I cached in on 5 gyms this morning. I wasn't planning on a gymrun early last evening, but I kept running into good ones to join, and they all held. Sunday afternoon, mystic time.

10. - Top - End - #100

The buddy system is going live in the next Go update, apparently. This update will also block jailbroken and rooted phones, which should stop cheating (and lots of general techie players) for at least like a week or so.

As a personal victory I cached in on 5 gyms this morning. I wasn't planning on a gymrun early last evening, but I kept running into good ones to join, and they all held. Sunday afternoon, mystic time.
    Yeah, supposedly that update was launching two days ago (at least, that's when they tweeted about it with the changelog) but I haven't seen it yet.

And supposedly the original app blocked jailbroken phones, but there was a patch for that within twelve hours of the launch. Which is what I'm counting on. It's super annoying when an app blocks me from using it at all when I don't even have any tweaks installed for it, just because I wanted to change my boot logo or something.
    Jude P.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Actually now that I think about it, I'm really kind of wondering just how hard the requirements to be a Gym Leader actually are if most Gyms are held by children.
    15 (or maybe 14 or so) might actually be a slightly believable age for Ash, ignoring the whole "saves the world where noone else can time after time" stuff and writing the "travels the world on foot alone" off as this being an adventure story about a fantastical world. Behavior wise it's probably pretty close. Misty should probably be around 17 then, she's easily older than Ash, but not necessarily by many years. Brock is hard to pin down because he's all over the place (Ash can be as well in rarer but delightfully funny places), but I would peg him as at least about 25, his paternal instincts seem to be flaring up and that "romantic" behavior of his means he's either 13 or old enough to have gotten really desperate from trying. Tracey is also older, 21 or so at least, he's thinking about stuff like a career. The other girls seem younger than Misty, but none of them much more than a year or so younger than Ash. which makes sense since I think most of them are based on rivals or player characters rather than gym leaders.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2016-09-12 at 09:59 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Colossus in the Playground

It's been a while since I watched Pokemon, but I get the impression that Brock pulls the romantic stunts for the sake of the stunts - the way he's not terribly picky about the target seems to suggest that he doesn't really care if he succeeds or not, he just likes doing weird lovey stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Coro Coro images
    Show

We have the evolutions of Rockruff. It depends on whether it evolves during day or night.
    Spoiler: Day evo
    Show

Spoiler: Night Evo
    Show

And we got a new Ultra Beast. UB 02 comes in two forms, beauty (appears in moon) and expansion (appears in sun).
    Spoiler
    Show

It is interesting that we are getting different kinds of ultra beasts forms. There is also a connection with pokemon go and the alolan forms?

At least there is an image showing something like that:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: relevant to theories discussed earlier
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

15 (or maybe 14 or so) might actually be a slightly believable age for Ash, ignoring the whole "saves the world where noone else can time after time" stuff and writing the "travels the world on foot alone" off as this being an adventure story about a fantastical world. Behavior wise it's probably pretty close. Misty should probably be around 17 then, she's easily older than Ash, but not necessarily by many years. Brock is hard to pin down because he's all over the place (Ash can be as well in rarer but delightfully funny places), but I would peg him as at least about 25, his paternal instincts seem to be flaring up and that "romantic" behavior of his means he's either 13 or old enough to have gotten really desperate from trying. Tracey is also older, 21 or so at least, he's thinking about stuff like a career. The other girls seem younger than Misty, but none of them much more than a year or so younger than Ash. which makes sense since I think most of them are based on rivals or player characters rather than gym leaders.
    At the start of the show, Ash was emphatically stated to be ten, Misty was generally assumed to be about to be older by a couple of years by the fanfic community (though apparently bulbapedia says she was preportedly stated to be ten in Japanese dub, not that I think anyone particularly believes that) and Brock a couple of years older; so that's not far off the preported "official ages."

At this point, any even distantly realistic look says that they must be at least six years older, with roughly one year per league season. (As I say, I reckon Ash is just short; though I am understanding that the characters are shown as taller in XY.)

ABSOLUTE MINIMUM of three years of more, whatever the anime says, every episode takes place over AT LEAST one day and often two and we're into 800-odd episodes. so Ash cannot possibly be less than about thirteen at this point. (And unlike pony, I'm not volenterring to go back and watch the entire show and do an estimated day count...!

Spoiler: Ash the Pokémon Leagues (probable anime spoilers)
    Show

I have, incidently, a theory why Ash seems to keep losing the leagues: Pikachu aside, he does recruit a whole new team in each region and doesn't spend much time training with his old team-mates. (From the looks of the Sinnoh Lague Victors splash screen, it does seem that he will use some of the old crowd; but (I've just finished the Grand Festival), I'll be surprised if we see them prior to a surprise use in the battles.) Now, as I understand it (and will view for myself when I go back and watch Battle Frontier once I've finished DP), he used his older and more experienced Pokémon (e.g. Charizard) and with that was able to trounce the Frontier Brains.

But what appears to happen is he basically resets everyone aside from Pikachu... (And Pikachu, I note, seems to get not a lot of extra training himself, mostly just helping the others.) So that every league he comes into, his Pokémon are about at the same level every time (even if he's a little better as a trainer). And while he might use Pokémon from storage, he's never put the same level of practise into them in the past [year], so, with the best will in the world, they've not fought a proper battle for ages and so won't be on tip-top form. [/quote]

Basically, he brings his A game to the leagues, and that gets him really far... But the leagues are so hard, he really needs to bring his A PLUS game and use and train his veterans, especially in the finals, where every slight advantages helps. Essentially, his training stratagy just never goes quite far enough, because despite it working really really well and him being a bit of a battle savant (most of the time...), in the end, he can only get so much out of his Pokémon without the extra boost of more practise and experience than he can just physically fit into a mere [year]. For all that he regularly out-does people in other things that he picked up in a day that they've been working all their lives for...!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2016-09-12 at 10:31 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Coro Coro images
    Show

We have the evolutions of Rockruff. It depends on whether it evolves during day or night.
    Spoiler: Day evo
    Show

Spoiler: Night Evo
    Show

And we got a new Ultra Beast. UB 02 comes in two forms, beauty (appears in moon) and expansion (appears in sun).
    Spoiler
    Show

It is interesting that we are getting different kinds of ultra beasts forms. There is also a connection with pokemon go and the alolan forms?

At least there is an image showing something like that:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

A Day vs. Night evolution is hardly mindblowing, we've had a split like that since Gen 2 (Umbreon vs. Espeon)

That said, I like Day Rockruff 2 more than Night.

As for the new UB...I'd say it lends some more credence to the theory of them resembling the Aether people if it wasn't for the Expansion form. I think we might have noticed Ira Gamagori at the Aether Foundation.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

17. - Top - End - #107

Spoiler: Sun/Moon
    Show

Given that the night/day split is a thing, it would be cool to have a twist on daytime and night-time evolutions:

Rockruffs obtained in Pokemon Sun evolve only during the day, into the day evolution.
    Rockruffs obtained in Pokemon Moon evolve only during the night, into the night evolution.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Spoiler: Sun/Moon
    Show

Given that the night/day split is a thing, it would be cool to have a twist on daytime and night-time evolutions:

Rockruffs obtained in Pokemon Sun evolve only during the day, into the day evolution.
    Rockruffs obtained in Pokemon Moon evolve only during the night, into the night evolution.
    Spoiler
    Show

But they would have to future-proof this for later games, unless the region flags for Sun/Moon Alola are different.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

19. - Top - End - #109

Spoiler: Sun and Moon
    Show
    In hindsight a Day/Night evolution should have been so obvious that I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't already think of that. But to be fair I guess it didn't really occur to me because it was so obvious and to be honest not really all that special, after all they really were hyping up this evolution.

One thing though, wasn't it said that Rockruff and the starters 'share a secret'? Is that supposed to mean that the starters also are affected by the day and night cycles? Starters with a split evolution would be a pretty big thing I think. Also do the Rockruff evolutions have different typing at all? Hopefully something more interesting then 'Rock' and 'Rock/Dark'.

On Ultra Beasts. Well, um... I already kind of was leaning towards Moon over Sun anyway. UB02 Expansion is kind of intimidating. Curious that they are given the same number, is that supposed to imply that they are in fact the same entity only in different forms?

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    (From the looks of the Sinnoh Lague Victors splash screen, it does seem that he will use some of the old crowd; but (I've just finished the Grand Festival), I'll be surprised if we see them prior to a surprise use in the battles.)
    *gives Ash stick about using only new Pokémon, not veterans too much*

*very first action Ash does upon reaching league is swap in new team for old team*

Touché, DP, touché...!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Sun and Moon
    Show
    In hindsight a Day/Night evolution should have been so obvious that I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't already think of that. But to be fair I guess it didn't really occur to me because it was so obvious and to be honest not really all that special, after all they really were hyping up this evolution.

One thing though, wasn't it said that Rockruff and the starters 'share a secret'? Is that supposed to mean that the starters also are affected by the day and night cycles? Starters with a split evolution would be a pretty big thing I think. Also do the Rockruff evolutions have different typing at all? Hopefully something more interesting then 'Rock' and 'Rock/Dark'.

On Ultra Beasts. Well, um... I already kind of was leaning towards Moon over Sun anyway. UB02 Expansion is kind of intimidating. Curious that they are given the same number, is that supposed to imply that they are in fact the same entity only in different forms?
    Spoiler: About the evos
    Show
    Well, to be fair, they are the same pokemon with a different form. Yep, those two pokemon are actually the same. They got the same name.

Also, does this give some hint about starters getting a split day/night evos?
    Last edited by DaOldeWolf; 2016-09-12 at 05:50 PM.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

22. - Top - End - #112

Spoiler: About the evos
    Show
    Well, to be fair, they are the same pokemon with a different form. Yep, those two pokemon are actually the same. They got the same name.

Also, does this give some hint about starters getting a split day/night evos?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oooh, okay. That's different and interesting enough, though I guess it will basically come off like Castform only with times of day rather then with weather. Still will be interested to see how it turns out, even if it does smack a bit of novelty rather then usefulness (I mean, because everyone loves using Castform, don't they?)

On it being a novelty though, for that reason alone I really hope the Starters don't end up doing this as well. Might be cute for a while but feels like it would be rather annoying in the long-term after the novelty has worn off, depending just how much of a change comes with these day and night forms...

EDIT: Okay, still got it wrong. I read that in that it changes back and forth depending on what time of day it was, but no I guess it just gets locked into a day or night form depending on when it evolves. Less fiddly that way I guess but also kind of less interesting too.
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2016-09-12 at 06:17 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113

Spoiler: They changed it, now it sucks
    Show

This might be gen 1 grogness talking, but it feels really dumb that different Pokemon with different types get categorized under the same name. Separate Nidorans were pretty silly, sure, but this is taking it way too far in the opposite direction.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

24. - Top - End - #114

Spoiler: They changed it, now it sucks
    Show
    This might be gen 1 grogness talking, but it feels really dumb that different Pokemon with different types get categorized under the same name. Separate Nidorans were pretty silly, sure, but this is taking it way too far in the opposite direction.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Meowstic wasn't bad enough for you with the different movesets based on gendered evolution?
    Jude P.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Oooh, okay. That's different and interesting enough, though I guess it will basically come off like Castform only with times of day rather then with weather. Still will be interested to see how it turns out, even if it does smack a bit of novelty rather then usefulness (I mean, because everyone loves using Castform, don't they?)

On it being a novelty though, for that reason alone I really hope the Starters don't end up doing this as well. Might be cute for a while but feels like it would be rather annoying in the long-term after the novelty has worn off, depending just how much of a change comes with these day and night forms...

EDIT: Okay, still got it wrong. I read that in that it changes back and forth depending on what time of day it was, but no I guess it just gets locked into a day or night form depending on when it evolves. Less fiddly that way I guess but also kind of less interesting too.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Permanent Forme differences locked in on Evolution debuted in Gen IV, with Wormadam gaining a second type depending on what cloak Burmy was wearing when it evolved.

26. - Top - End - #116

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Meowstic wasn't bad enough for you with the different movesets based on gendered evolution?
    I don't know what that is.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I don't know what that is.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Meowstic has a different appearance and a different movepool based on its gender, with the male being support focused while the female is an attacker.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

28. - Top - End - #118

PoGo-ers, does 'mon size appear to get displayed with the new Buddy update? Is there an visible difference between a massive 'mon and a miniscule one?

On that note, does 'mon size affect anything? Hp? Speed? Anything?

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    PoGo-ers, does 'mon size appear to get displayed with the new Buddy update? Is there an visible difference between a massive 'mon and a miniscule one?

On that note, does 'mon size affect anything? Hp? Speed? Anything?
    Can't say for the Buddy update (have yet to receive it) but the size literally has no bearings except for the Youngster and Fisherman medals (the first wants XS Rattata and the second wants XL Magikarp).
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Permanent Forme differences locked in on Evolution debuted in Gen IV, with Wormadam gaining a second type depending on what cloak Burmy was wearing when it evolved.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Which is why I feel a bit disappointed. At least when I thought it was a shifting form that seemed a bit new and interesting (though now that I think about it I guess they are still doing that with Wishiwashi, which only means it would have made more sense to do a shifting form evolution here...). I mean especially considering that the 'Night' form is based on a werewolf. What are Werewolves known for? Not staying the same shape when the moon rises.