New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Mariners of the Red Tornado

farlgort

"its not the act of talking about it that helps xu, it is in fact the act of reliving the horror, the original horror, by describing it in exacting detail as much as you can remember that purges it from your mind in such a way as you can handle similar situations. if you dont, going to places like we are heading into, the enemy will sense your horror and use it against you."
    This is my BRUTE'S MINICITY

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Iyapo

Relieved to be out of the atention, he walks beside Chigani. He looks at the mambers of the large group, bites his shyness and walks to each of the members offering his blessing. The same that Xu got earlier and what the other antarians have become used to.

"A blessing to keep comfortable and protected" he says as he offers his blessing
    Current avatar made by Kpenguin , more cool avatars in my spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show

Federico made by Abardam

GMT +2

3. - Top - End - #123

PirateGuy

Jondalar

He will continue speaking with Wrick as they stand. "Planar research is good, especially where we are going. It's good to broaden your horizons and with the Tornado who knows where we will end up."

Jondalar will look skyward during the trek to check on Ayla as he walks with Gwen.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Xu

"We do not have that kind of time, Falgort. I cannot divulge years of horror in a few hours, and while I might be able to narrow it down to a few moments, I do not think you would understand. I might as well be talking to a rock...and I have tried that. It does not help either."

Xu paused, "Are you afraid that I would turn on the rest of you?" She nodded, "I suppose that could happen. Given the right stimuli most people could be turned into something that they do not think they are." She watched his reaction carefully. The people she had met rarely showed genuine concern for others, usually having some alterior motive when they bothered with the attempt. That seemed to most logical explanation in this case, since they had barely exchanged a dozen words, but he could be one of the rare exceptions.
    Epic Sorc ~ "You said I could have this spell."
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

5. - Top - End - #125

PirateCaptain

farlgort

farlgort smiles ruefully at xu.

"actually, i was afraid youd end up losing your soul first."

he pulls out his holy symbol for a few seconds just so she could see then tucks it away again.

"mishakals blessing upon you. i do hope you come to terms with your horror soon. now if youll excuse me i think we ran out of pomegranite juice."

he drains the last of his cup and wanders back to the table to refill the small pitcher.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Default Into the remote jungles of Antaria

The first day in the jungle will reveal many outlying farmers and cottages, and even a few small Inns along the dirt road through the jungle. This first day the group may decide to take over one of the larger Inns, since they can legitimately sleep under a roof even a day out of Zrkra's City.

Baka and Rikaan could probably suggest several excellent places to sleep in the woods. Chigani knows an Inn suitable for all of you. He seems saddened to not be at Allie's side, and there was a long look when he walked away with the group. Allie stayed as a special guest of Zrkra, and the crew was getting shore leave while the temple mission was a foot.

Olmeric and Fulbert would be in charge of the ship while the rest of you were gone.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

Gwen

After breaking her fast with Jondalar and Wrick, she will go through her gear again. Weeding out some things, then putting them back. She eventually leaves the extra clothes that could have doubled as additional bandages.

She does pack several torches, healing supplies, some apples, and full water containers. She has a quarter of her backpack filled with spell components for spells.

As they start journeying, she will give Jondalar's hand a quick squeeze and move to walk near Iyapo. "Good Morrow. You seem even more on edge than I am, did you wish to put your thoughts into words and let the cares fly from you?"

8. - Top - End - #128

SwashbucklerGuy

Baka

As the party sets out, Baka will look to Chigani for initial instructions. As Chigani takes the lead, Baka will spend much of the initial day watching the travelers rather than the trail, except when Chigani asks him to scout or take point.

If anyone talks to him about the jungle or trip, he will be eager to talk about the local area and what may be coming up ahead. With this many priests around, we should be able to tell when there any undead around as we approach the temple.

Baka will be supportive of either sleeping arrangements and will suggest simple ways to camp in the jungle. "This would be a good opportunity to get used to jungle camping, if there are any here uncomfortable. However, this may be the last opportunity for a while to sleep in a bed."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Xu

Xu watched Falgort walk away and wondered if she had been a little harsh. He was more pleasant to talk to than a rock, but the city had her on edge already, and there was no way she could let down her defenses in this place.

She sat and pondered. Mishakal...it sounded familiar, but every country, and sometimes every city, had its own names for the gods. She had been around, but she couldn't figure out where she'd heard it, and which god it refered to. The thoughts slipped away as it came time to leave.

Leaving the city behind did wonders for Xu's mood. The tension noticeably melted away, and she started to pester Baka with questions about the jungle since he seemed the most talkative. When the question of the night's rest came up she looked to the inn with a frown, "I think I would prefer to stay outside."
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Default Pili Phomello

Chigani decides that he'd like to stay in an Inn. He has a friend around here.

Inns in Antaria are not unlike Inns in the Empire, though they are much smaller, and not as many great communal rooms. The Inns also have no signs or formal posting to mark it. They are mostly converted homes, of those who have settled in the jungle or along the road.

Chigani suggests a large thin wooden building made of wooden slats. You didn't need insulation at night here, it was plenty warm.

An old dark man with a white afro will greet you as proprietor of this Inn. When he sees Chigani the old man will nearly burst into tears speaking in Antarian, "Lord Chigani... Your honor. Welcome. This humble abode is all I can offer to such a noble quest. I am glad to be in your presence again." He looks to the rest of you and speaks in rough Imperial common. "My name is Pili Phomello. You are all my honored guests." He bows before you all.
    {Ghedi- one of Chigani's entourage who took you to the seer's cave acts as interpreter for those who do not speak the Antarian tongue. Rikaan knows him to be a fairly decent archer, but not too good in hand-to-hand.}

This is a large Inn, 3 to a room will suffice... though 4 could fit if that is desired. Chigani feels safe here, and suggests no night-guard. He looks to Ramose and Gwen, "So, then your late night tryst can continue." He gives the two priests an amused smirk. Chigani will retire to a room and later will be visited by two of Pili's daughters.

This will really be no different than an Imperial stay at an Inn, though the fruit at breakfast and the strange juices do remind you that you are in a new part of the world {some of you that is }. The road ahead on the next day will fade into the jungle, and only Baka can see the hidden trail that the animals use to get to waterways. Baka can also see markings of an ancient road that once did continue out here, and in the direction that Chigani indicated the temple was in.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

Iyapo

False sense of safety is worse than no guard Iyapo thinks. He will retire to his room after food and wake up at dark. Iyapo had made the mistake before, believing in false security, it had nearly cost his life. He keeps guard at dark and then retires back to rest to the room.
    Spoiler
    Show

Federico made by Abardam

GMT +2

12. - Top - End - #132

SwashbucklerGuy

Baka

After the evening meal, Baka stands to stretch and look out the window or slats of the building. "We have little time left to use these freedoms. Soon the fever of the hunt and the fight for our survival will overtake us. If anyone wishes to enjoy these night airs, I will join them." Baka will look around the common room for any interest. If there are any takers, he will guide them on a safe evening journey at the edges of the jungle, making sure to take them through safe trails and giving the appropriate warnings to stay out of the tall grasses and a good distance from the jungles edge. "There are nocturnal predators of opportunity about." If there are none, he will take a light run by himself around the jungle edges of this village.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Xu

Xu requested to join Baka. An outdoor walk was preferable to sitting around inside and listening to the "sounds of the night". She followed along, reminding herself occassionally that this was not a safe place for someone who didn't know what lurked in the underbrush.
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

14. - Top - End - #134

SwashbucklerGuy

Baka

As twilight comes, Baka will walk softly and talk quietly about the area. "We avoid the tall grasses at night because the hooded snake hunts then. He will stand tall like the grass for hours waiting for prey and then fall upon them using its poison. In the jungle, other snakes will do the same from a tree. Things that look like vines may not always be so." Since there is only one person to watch for, Baka will go further to the jungle than he originally thought.

A thought occurs to him while walking this night. I wonder what burdens this one carries. They are plain and strong. "I have heard your kind to be light-hearted and light-footed. I do not mean to offend, but we each have our burdens to carry. Some I think more than others. Let's see if you are still light-footed, and maybe your ancestors still sing to you this night." Baka quickly chooses a large tree and begins to deftly climb the hanging vines around the large trunk. Trying to gauge Xu's confidence in climbing, Baka will try to find a good vantage point to lie on a tree branch and watch the jungle night begin.
    Last edited by Nomad5; 2007-08-21 at 11:21 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Wrick

Not keen on snake bites, Wrick steps warily with his bare feet.

I suppose I could always fly overhead . . .
    Last edited by GNUsNotUnix; 2007-08-21 at 06:24 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Xu

The strange elf looked dubiously up the tree. Xu had only a vague idea of what Baka was trying to say, and wondered what her ancestors had to do with climbing a tree. Never having been allowed to climb trees as a child, and never having the desire as an adult, she had some difficulty. She was strong enough, but there was no skill, as she had no idea which vines to grab or where her feet would find purchase. At least her armor wasn't hindering her, but it was still slow work.

Patience is a virtue, and luckily one she had in great supply. Like the snake Baka had spoken of, she was able to stand still for hours, days if necessary so long as she didn't walk in her meditations. At least she had gotten something useful out of the whole ordeal, but she could have done without. A strange smile came to her face and Xu nearly tumbled from the tree as her mind wandered. She clung to the trunk, taking a deep breath and continuing the rest of the way up to a large branch near, but slightly lower than Baka's.

That's far enough

Xu looked down and then up at Baka, "I may need some help to get down without breaking a leg...or my neck." She was only half joking, but that was much more than usual. Continuing to look around, she spoke her thoughts aloud. "Where is Wrick? He should not wander alone."
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Default The next day after the Inn of Pili

Those of you who slept in the jungle will feel an eerie silence, as if you are watched. Chigani will be refreshed after his night with Pili's daughters.

It will be uneventful, and the next day Baka and Chigani will lead the party on.

This day will be long, slow, and hard, as many vines block the path, and they are needed to be hacked through to pass.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Wrick

At Xu's inquiry, a familiar voice emerges from the underbrush,

"Drowning in vines."

Well, not quite. Wrick is only obscured up to about the base of his neck.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

Iyapo

Iyapo picks up a piece of vines and studies it, testing how dry it is. He then looks how the slow progress affects the others.

"If we would burn the vines from the way, would the fire spread to the rest of the forest?" he asks cautiously curiously
    Spoiler
    Show

Federico made by Abardam

GMT +2

20. - Top - End - #140

SwashbucklerGuy

Baka

"If there were another way to travel this jungle I would suggest it, but trying to go around may take us through parts just as bad. And we may lose the trail of this ancient road."

Baka looks to Iyapo, "The jungle will be cleansed when Osiris is ready. I do not think that we should try that both for the destruction that it could bring on the jungle and ourselves. Let the snakes and animals lie where they are. Let's not give them reason to come out and face us this day."

When Baka gets a chance, he will mention to Chigani in low conversation. "I must warn you Chigani. The jungle was still last night. There were no creatures about that should have been. I do not know what has forced them away."

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Xu

The uneventful, if slightly unnerving, night was preferable to the inn. At least Xu thought so. When the small group returned to Pili's house she noted Pili's daughters leaving Chigani and all she felt was disgust. It seemed the longer she spent with humans the more she disliked about them. She added it to the list and hid it behind the mask she always wore.

Xu volunteered to hack away at the vines, if only to take her mind off of the boredom and the company. She pulled out her finely-sharpened, dull-grey longsword and went at it. It was just like working in the field, only there was no one yelling at her to work faster and harder. As she continued forward, Xu began to hum a song that no one in the group would recognize. It would have been brutal work in the heat of the day, with the humidity making it almost oppressive, but Iyapo's blessing took the harsh edge off making it easy for Xu to simply focus and ignore everything but the next section of vines to be cut. She found a rhythm that matched her song and the humming grew louder.
    Last edited by Fuzzball; 2007-08-22 at 06:54 AM.
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

Iyapo

Iyapo dismisses the thouht of burning through the jungle, he new well enough how it could end. The humidity didn't bother him and those who accepted his blessing. It felt warm, but the spear drove him nuts. he couldn'thave it on his back, it would only get cought somewhere, so he settled with using it as a walking stick, occasionally pulling it from vines. Instead of dwelling on the past he concentrated on the present and the dangers lurking around.
    Spoiler
    Show

Federico made by Abardam

GMT +2

23. - Top - End - #143

Ramose

Ramose politely declines to join the late-night walk (and subsequent camping) in the jungle. "Sounds fun, Baka, but I'd best get sleep in a real bed while I can. But here, if you all are camping out tonight, this will help..." If they accept it, Ramose offers a simple blessing to Baka, Wrick, and Xu, as well as himself, Serasita, Gwen, and Jondalar. "There, now your night should be quite a bit more restful."

{OOC: Ramose casts Healthful Rest. Sorry, that's only seven...all he can swing at this point.}

The next day, Ramose graciously accepts Iyapo's blessing when it is offered, and he helps out with clearing vines as the party moves through the jungle. The heavy blade of his khopesh is likely to be well-suited for hacking at the thicker pieces.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Default A second night in the Jungle

Chigani agrees with Baka, and when Baka and he find a place in the jungle to camp for the night they will choose an especially defensive area.

A night sleeping order and watch should be determined....

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Iyapo

Iyapo steps up, "I'll take the darkest shift, I can see in total darkness"
    Spoiler
    Show

Federico made by Abardam

GMT +2

26. - Top - End - #146

SwashbucklerGuy

Baka

After surveying the camping location Baka returns as Chigani is setting up plans for the night. "I would suggest 3 shifts with 2 or 3 per shift. We can split Chigani, Rikaan, and myself among the shifts since I think we are the most familiar with the nighttime jungle. Iyapo is wise in suggesting that those with keen vision would be most useful in the dark hours. But many worked hard today to clear our path and they should use the rest." Baka looks toward Xu with a grateful nod. "Tomorrow will not be easier."
    Last edited by Nomad5; 2007-08-23 at 07:46 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147

PirateCaptain

farlgort

" no tomorrow wont be any easier. listen closely. when we were on krigala we faced exactly the same situation. evil had infested a temple and corrupted the forest. there were sprites there too but they were also corrupted. from now on the weakest and smallest should be in the middle of the formations at all times and at the first hint of humming in the air all clerics should prepare to turn undead. if its humming and looks like a sprite slam it with positive energy first and apologize after if it doesnt turn to stone because it wasnt corrupted, otherwise we will be fighting sprites, elementals, and each other under a charm effect."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

Rikaan

Hearing others talk for him Rikaan is sure he is not forgotten, with a nod he volunteers any of Baka's information to be true. "Me need short sleep, few hours at dusk, I stay rest of night up, okay?" Rikaan nods to himself satisfied and heads to a few tree roots to sleep -perhaps the first sleep any has seen him take.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Xu

As Xu listens to the conversation, a smile grows on her face. "I cannot see in complete darkness, but I do see fairly well. I will gladly take a shift wherever it is desired. Do not worry about my endurance or how much rest I get. It will be enough. I have seen much harder days than hacking down a few weeds." She waits for someone to decide which shift she will aid with.
    DM ~ "I regret nothing!"

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

Default A second night out passes!

{OOC- I will make a rough sleeping order from this, for wilderness travel.}

The night passes peacefully, but once again Baka is bothered by the lack of animals. It is even more eerie here tonight. In the far distance, drums can be heard. It could be anyone.
    The drums continue through the night and stop at daybreak.

The next day of travel will cause the party to travel through a tiger populated savanna. Chigani will notice there are no tigers out this day. You will be out in the hot sun for a couple of hours and then disappear under the shade and cover of the jungle again. Baka will see recent Tiger droppings.

Chigani says you should reach the temple by the early evening.