New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The FSM and religion

Is discussion of the Flying Spaghetti Monster acceptable on the site, or does it fall under the 'no real-world religion' rule? I'm asking because I'd say it does (several countries have acknowledged it already) but on the other hand I've seen plenty of references to it on this site: someone even has a permanent link to the FSM's site in his signature.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2016-09-25 at 07:19 AM.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The FSM and religion

I'm not a mod, but I would say it is against the forum rules. (Though I have to admit I hadn't heard about it before. I only heard the term used some times in context of Magic - the Eldrazi, especially Emrakul. Maybe the term flies a bit under radar.)

At least, if you think it is/might be against the Forum rules, report the questionable content (though you can't directly report a signature; you have to report a post and then say that there are issues with the signature).

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The Flying Spaghetti Monster originated from a reaction to a real world political decision related to real world religion. I find it exceedingly unlikely general discussion about it would stay within the bounds of forum rules for long.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

The best and most sound suggestion I've ever heard is: If you are unsure if it violates the board rules, don't do it.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

5. - Top - End - #5
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Discussion, no. Reference, probably not, but possibly. FSM and similar religious parodies are right there on the line. They would be inappropriate as a topic of discussion (because that would inevitably involve religion), but might be okay for discrete (and discreet?) linkage.

As noted above, I'd advise against such references entirely, and feel free to report any you see that we can review them for appropriateness.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2016-09-25 at 06:47 PM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex