New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Bel's Age of Worms [IC]

Rose somersaults through the window. Of course, her available landing spot was already occupied. The dwarf's helmet obviously not providing much in the way of peripheral vision.

But, there's no choice. Blows against the beasts weren't landing. She had to get in one way or another. Rose tries to dodge around the snarling teeth of the wolf and place a dagger in its heart as she tumbles by.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tumble: (1d20+7)[22]

Attack W3: (1d20+6)[8] (+2 flanking from Island of blades)
    Damage: (1d4+5)[6]

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

With the wolves spread out and no desire to destroy more property, even if it's currently unclaimed, Morris waited for Eleria to strike, moving further away from the doorway.
    As she does so, he charged forward with a sudden shout, his blade swinging down at the wolf to her left while she attacked the one to her right.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Move: Move to S15.
    Standard: Attack the wolf in S14.
    Hit: (1d20+2)[5]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[10]
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Seramal

Finally a line of sight clear to her, Seramal lets loose a breath of flame at the nearest wolf.

Spoiler: Fwooosh
    Show

From window Seramal breathes at U14 and Wolf 3.
    Line of fire DC Ref 15 for half damage (1d6)[1]

Wow. I am a Goddess of Death.
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-10-16 at 07:36 PM.
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Morris moves in after Tobul and swings, wildly missing the wolf she was attempting to strike!

Elira moves to take out the wounded wolf, and misses by a hairs breath!

Wisym moves closer to another wolf, and unleashes a burst of flame, narrowly missing!

Seramel waits for Wisym and then breaths flame upon the wounded wolf, who whimpers again, but remains standing!

Rose tumbles through the window as graceful as a cat, and then attempts to skewer one of the wolves, but missed!

Tobul reaches out and delivers a devastating slash across the face of the wounded wolf, dropping it instantly.

Spoiler
    Show

Seramel moves to initiative 10

Damage:
    Wolf 1: 4
    Wolf 2: 4
    Wolf 3: 16/x - DEAD
    Elira: 0/12
    Seramal: 0/11
    Wisym: 0/10
    Rose: 0/8
    Tobul: 0/16
    Morris: 0/11
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2016-10-17 at 12:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Initiative:

1. Elira 21
    2. Wisym 11
    3. Seramal 10
    4. Rose 9
    5. Tobul 8
    6. Wolves 4
    7. Morris 3

With one of their companions fallen, the remaining wolves move towards each other, snapping as they go!

Spoiler
    Show

Wolf 1 attacks vs Elira!
    BiteAttack - (1d20+3)[4]
    BiteDamage - (1d6+1)[3]
    If hit, then free trip attempt Trip - (1d20+1)[18]

Wolf 2 attacks vs Rose!
    BiteAttack - (1d20+3)[21]
    BiteDamage - (1d6+1)[7]
    If hit, then free trip attempt Trip - (1d20+1)[13]

Party is up!

Map
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2016-10-17 at 11:58 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

6. - Top - End - #36

Seramal

Not wanting to fry her new friends, Seramal breathes a gout of flame at the wolf to her right.

She dearly wanted to quip a pun about "hot dogs", but regrettably could not speak with fire belching out her mouth.

Spoiler: Fire to T14 on W1
    Show
    DC 15 Reflex for half damage (1d6)[5]
    Plot Hooks. Campaigns and Encounters - an aid for DMs in a hurry. A resource for all to enjoy! (Now archived)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

Rose grits her teeth and growls in pain, the wolf's teeth dig into her thigh and spill blood. It tries to pull her down, but Rose puts her dagger to its neck, forcibly dissuading its efforts.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+6)[20]
    Damage: (1d4+5)[7]

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Bunching up?
    That's a paddling.
    "Stand clear of the window!"

Flicking his hand out, with barely a a thought Morris sends out a spark that blossoms into a small fireball.

Show

Move: What is move?
    Standard: Fiery Burst on S13-T14
    (2d6)[11], DC 14 Reflex Save Halves.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Elira Hartwell

Elira sidesteps the wolf's bite, her sword raised and ready to strike at its flank.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Wolf 1 misses Elira.

Free action: 5-foot step to U15.

Standard action: Attack Wolf 1.
    Attack: (d20+5)[15]
    Damage: (d8+3)[10]
    Crit confirm: (d20+5)[19]
    Crit damage: (d8+3)[10]

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Tobul 5' steps to U-14 and attacks W1 (or W2 if the other is down).

(1d20+6)[24]
    (1d8+2)[5]
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Wisym

His fancy maneuvers failing to connect, Wisym employs a simple strike.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rapier - (1d20+5)[13](1d6+4)[6]
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

The group seems to come together at the last moment, as Elira moves forward and slices the head of one wolf clean off, and while Wisym failed to hit the last remaining one, it was a quick burst of energy that must have spurred everyone on to finish it.

Panting, the last wolf drops dead to the floor and the hut goes quiet as wildlife outside can sense the danger is over and continues on their daily routine.

Looking around, you find the hut to be a dilapidated mining hut, probably been out of use for a while from the looks of it, enough time for these wolves to have moved in and set up a den.

Rummaging around, you find nothing of value, once you are done, you hear the tell tale sound of the man who sent you here.

A faint tinkling of bells rings, and his warm soft voice seems to wash over you all.

"Good job, this will serve as your place to rest, and anything else you need, I have legally acquired it, the deed and the map to your destination is in a false bottom in the desk. I apologize for the subterfuge, it is important that I distance myself somewhat from this. Rest, and then tomorrow, go to the whispering Cairn." he smiles, and it fills your heart as only a grandfathers smile could.

You find the false bottom, along with the deed to the shack, a dirty old thing, and a rough map to the whispering cairn. Not that any of you really need it, it's not even far, and most definitely somewhat of a legend amongst the towns youth.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

13. - Top - End - #43

Seramal

"I call the upstairs room!" Seramal shouts, bounding up the stairs boisterously.

After a brief rest, she returns to the ground floor, prepares her gear for spelunking, and tries to remember whatever she can about the Cairn.

Spoiler: Knowledges
    Show

Local: (1d20)[18]

History: (1d20)[5]

"Smells like burnt dog in here."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

With the last wolf slain, Rose presses down on the gash in her leg to keep her blood where it belongs. She staggers towards the south-western corner of the hut and pulls the dagger she had thrown out of the wall. Need practice.

She had to get weight off that leg. Turning with her back to the corner, she starts to slide herself down when the old man's voice echoes through the ruined shack.

"Tomorrow," Rose says as she briefly removes her hand to see how bad the wound is. "What's the rush?"

Spoiler
    Show
    If anyone would care to provide a Heal check for Rose--Take 10 with a healing kit--I'd be much appreciative. Going in with 3 hit points is better than 2. Even better would be resting another full day for 6.

15. - Top - End - #45

Seramal

Reaching into her pouch, Seramal shrugs.

"Sorry, no kits here."

tosses a vial to Rose.

"We are now Sisters in Battle! What's yours is mine!"

Spoiler: I have NO potions! trololo111
    Show
    I read the wrong character sheet...
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-11-01 at 03:06 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Morris grunts as he dumps the last wolf outside... He might have contemplated commenting on the ownership claim, but if someone was so absent that they managed to accidentally trap wolves in the building, he didn't care.

"Think there might be one with my horse... Just give me a bit... My stuffs a bit hap-hazard, thought I'd have more time to prepare."

With that, Morris makes his way away from the house to where he tired up Brave, spends some time staring into one of his packs, and then begins making his way back, bandages in hand.
    "Uh, anyone good with these? I'm not great... Or town's close enough, could get you to a priest."

Spoiler: Actions of Note
    Show

Taking 20 to turn 1lb of Shapesand into a Healers Kit.

It's DC 15 for long term care, taking 10 with a Healers kit gets me 12, so I need someone else to do it or there's the risk of rolling.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

After resting for the day, claiming sleeping spots, clearing out the dead wolves, and/or doing whatever with their bodies/pelts. You feel refreshed in the morning, and head out to find the Whispering Cairn. It wasn't far, about 2-3 hour hike through the low hills surrounded by woods.

The cairn's name precedes itself, as you round a hillock and begin to hear a low whistle, like several small children chattering in the wind. Taking the corner, you find what you were looking for, and the stone archway reveals itself to you, like a yawning mouth that held a slight wind coming from within.

The entry way is about 20 feet across, and is dark inside.

Spoiler
    Show

We'll free form this, until someone needs a map.

Whats your light source, and order of march?
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

18. - Top - End - #48

Seramal

"At last! Plunder!"

Seramal bounds forth into the cairn, her darkvision giving her a general shape of the entranceway.

"You dayfolk might wanna bring down a light!" she shouts outward, heeding nothing to stealth.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

The wetness seeping from the crude bandage around her leg was all Rose needed to know the hike had not been kind to her wound.

Reaching the mouth of the cairn, Rose stopped to examine the entrance. Old and deserted, the place could well be guarded by ancient traps to dissuade looters. She had barely studied one of the outer pillars when the half-orc surged passed her and into the darkness, shouting all the while.

Secretly, she hoped it was trapped. Rose waited, listening for the roar of falling rocks or the whistle of poison darts.

Spoiler
    Show

Search: (1d20+5)[8]
    Listen: (1d20+7)[12]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Morris stopped near the entrance... It wasn't often he'd have to pull kids from here or near here, but it wasn't exactly rare either.

"I can conjure illumination for a short while... But if you give me a minute I might be able to find something useful in my pack."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Elira Hartwell

Elira takes her position near the front of the party, where her otherworldly eyes can best be put to use. Stepping out of the way as Seramal runs past, she allows Rose the time she needs to check for any hidden dangers.

"I can provide us light in the event something goes wrong, but only once, and only for a couple of minutes."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Natural light dimly illuminates a long hallway extending north into darkness. A faint breeze brings with it sibilant whispers that sound almost like sighing breath. It must be a trick of the wind, but the effect is almost lifelike.

The walls bear horizontal bands of deceptively simple geometric patterns at waist level. In places the bands reveal startling detail, but in others the walls look as though they have been hacked apart with weapons or eroded by the rigors of time. Flakes of ancient paint, brilliant purple and a dull mustard hue, still cling to the walls in places, hinting at what must once been a riot of color. A thin coat of dust coats the floor

Just inside the darkened tomb, the hallway branches into shallow alcoves to the east and west. Here the walls bear the most significant damage. Dozens of clumsy etchings mar the beautiful ancient masonry like graffiti on a city wall. A clump of soiled cloth about the size of a halfling rests in the rounded terminus of the western alcove.

Outside, the wind picks up, and a chorus of almost human sounds rises from the darkened hall.

A fine layer of dust coats the halls floor.

Spoiler: Survival DC 14
    Show

You notice that several wolf tracks have crossed the dusty hallway numerous times in the recent past.

The western alcove contains a moldy old bedroll.

Spoiler: K local DC 15
    Show

You remember a teenage girl went missing here about 6 years ago.

The bedroll is hardened and brittle, cracking if handled too rough. A little searching around the bedroll, and you find whittling shavings.

Anyone searching the patterned bands upon the walls reveals thing hollow tubes hidden within the pattern work. The strange whispers filling the hall seem to emit from these holes.

As you move closer inside, you notice a flickering green light at the end of the hallway.

You can see the hallway breaks into another alcove or intersection next.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2016-11-21 at 11:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

23. - Top - End - #53

Seramal

Impatient of the others to arrive, Seramal hefts her morningstar and heads towards the greenish light, walking slowly enough to let the others catch up.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

The entrance appeared as safe as the entrance to any crumbling ruin could be said to be, seemingly confirmed by the failure of the thing to so much as cough at the presence of the half-orc.

Rose pulled a metal rod out from her bandolier and struck the tip against the threshold. Bright, golden light poured from its end, illuminating the impenetrable-to-humans darkness. Making her way inside, she noticed the floor, covered with familiar tracks.

"Seramal! Seramal!" she half called, half whispered. "Wolves!"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Tobul just stands there, placing a hand on Rose's shoulder. "Some people just have to learn patience the hard way." She tilts her head slightly after saying this, all but brandishing her left ear. Or rather, the space on her head where the left ear should be.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Morris stopped a moment at the blankets as he followed Seramal, longsword moving to his left hand as he rummages with his left... Nothing but shavings.
    "Can't remember if anyone went missing recently, but this bed is old... Kelvemor have mercy, looks like it's just a child's roll."
    With that Morris rises, looking somewhat angrier as he moves to catch up with the group.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Elira Hartwell

With an ear towards Morris and eye towards Seramal, Elira stands between the two, equally concerned by what might have happened to a child exploring this cave on her own as she is by what might happen to the reckless half-orc now.

"Any ideas what that might be?" she asks, gesturing with her shield towards the green light.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

You move forward towards the flickering green light at the end of the hallway, you pass two more alcoves on your left and right, the one of the right seems to have some kind of rubble, while the other has some strange apparatus standing on a small platform.

Moving further, you find a large chamber open up from the hallway:

The central hallway opens into a large chamber with wings leading to the east and wast. Across the chamber to the north yawns a twenty-foot-wide open arch draped from to bottom in translucent cobwebs. An eerie green light flickers from beyond the webs, casting strange shadows about this room. The place smells of animals and wet fur.

To the west, three short stairs lead to a wide marble dais, but the far end of the wing is obscured by darkness.

Huge slabs of cracked masonry and irregular piles of scattered debris choke the eastern wing, giving the appearance of complete collapse.

The sibilant, almost human whispers present in the passage become a chorus in this massive chamber, eerily echoing off the walls.

ROUND 1

Initiative
    1. Seramal - (1d20+2)[22]
    2. Tobul - (1d20+2)[20]
    3. Elira - (1d20+1)[17]
    4. Rose - (1d20+4)[12]
    5. Wolves - (1d20+2)[8] (they act in surprise round)
    6. Morris - (1d20-4)[8]

As you enter the chamber, several wolves leap out of the darkness to the right, having been alerted of your presence. They attack Seramel in an attempt to drag her back to their lair.

Show

Wolf 1
    Attack - (1d20+3)[20] vs flat footed
    Trip - (1d20+5)[21]
    Damage - (1d6+1)[3]

Wolf 2
    Attack - (1d20+3)[23] vs flat footed/prone
    Trip - (1d20+1)[3]
    Damage - (1d6+1)[7]

Attack - (1d20+3)[7] vs flat footed/prone
    Trip - (1d20+1)[17]
    Damage - (1d6+1)[5]

Map
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2016-12-07 at 05:50 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Potential Crit
    Show

Wolf 2
    Attack - (1d20+3)[13] vs flat footed/prone
    Damage - (1d6+1)[2]
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

30. - Top - End - #60

Seramal

The wolves tear at her flesh and drag her down under their weight.
    Spoiler: Nevermind
    Show
    (1d20+2)[16] vs. 21
    (1d20+2)[12] vs. 3

I'm at 1 HP if crit fails to hit, unconscious and unable to do this if the critical does hit:

Breath weapon (fire) 15 ft cone (1d6)[4] DC 14 reflex for half

Aaaaand we're at -2 HP.

Any clerics in our group?

No? Any necromancers then?
    Last edited by redzimmer; 2016-12-07 at 06:20 PM.