New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Bel's Age of Worms [IC]

Rose

"That be the alarm," Rose says right before she charges up the stairwell. "Don't give Filge a chance to prepare." The sudden rush of urgency stays Rabbit's retreat and pushes it even further ahead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rabbit is Nimble, not Coward! :P

2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

Fardus moves along the wall, quarterstaff in one hand, midnight glove adorning the other, flanked by the trio of loosely marching skeletons. Waiting at the base of the stairs, he murmurs: "There are some of us that are build for the up close and personal. I am not one of them. I shall follow."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    (1d20+8)[22] to try to identify the nature of what's making the sound (ie. Alarm spell, Raven Familiar, etc)

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

As Rose rushes upstairs, Fardus follows...

The stairs lead to a massive bedchamber that fills an entire floor of the observatory tower. Light filtering in from the tall windows ringing the chamber catches motes of dust in the once calm air. A fine bed with plump red linen sheets sweats upon a dais along the southeast corner of the tower. A nightstand next to the bed holds a wax-choked candlestick and a black book bound with brown and red leather.

At the midpoint of the eastern wall a strange form stands rigid atop a short wooden stool, as tall as a halfling and clothed in a fine black suit and top hat. Clean cloth bandages wrap every inch of the sentry's skin. A pair of ash-tinted spectacles rests upon a long skinny nose. The diminutive dandy holds a silver platter as if presenting a meal, and upon the tray rests the freshly preserved severed head of a middle-aged human woman. A platinum piece sits upon her out-stretched, purple tongue.

A messy desk rests against the opposite wall, piled high with loose papers. An apparatus holding four long tubes filled with colored liquid peeks out from the clutter. Doors on the north and west walls appear to lead to small closets.

Wide stairs lead above and below. A massive white outstretched statue of a thin human man with outstretched angelic wings and a beatific look upon his idealized face looms large in the west wall. The angel holds a sword in one hand and cradles a harp with the other. The presentation conjures thoughts of mausoleum peaks or the graves of important men. Tall letters etched upon the statue's base spell out a single word: "Filge"

Spoiler
    Show

Map
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2019-02-21 at 04:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

Rose doesn't give much thought to the room save for the imposing statue, which she tumbles past in the event it suddenly comes to life. Rabbit continues to scurry along to get a glimpse of what its master is rushing into.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tumble:(1d20+8)[25]

5. - Top - End - #755
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

"Ladies and gentlemen, Mistress Rose seems in a hurry to confront this Filge, so we must take our leave. It's been real," Narl quips at the corpses before stalking quickly but carefully up the stairs. When he reaches the top, he pauses next to Fardus. "Is she dead yet?" he whispers.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

"I don't believe so, I haven't heard any of the screaming start yet."

The portly dwarf walks over to the night stand, picking up the black book and pocketing it for future review.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

Casper
    Casper follows the others upstairs, since nothing seems to happen. He directs the Astral Construct to poke the mummified creature.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

So much for a team effort, Narl thinks wryly to himself.

"Hey!" he stage whispers to Fardus and Casper. "Unless that statue is Filge, it doesn't look like he's here. Logic would suggest we have better odds of finding him upstairs. Perhaps we should focus on that before rifling through his personal possessions?" Following his own advice, he moves quickly to the next set of stairs, staying clear of Rose to avoid depressing her with Focalor's presence.

OOC: Move directly to S16 (map is updated).

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

Rose runs up to the next floor...

A single chamber dominates the observatory's entire upper floor. Light filters through the wide slit in the roof, bathing the center of the room in illumination. Four large mirrors set along the outside wall reflect bright beams into the direct center of the room, a recessed operating theater accessible via two short sets of stairs. The beams specifically target a blue-skinned humanoid figure splayed out upon an operating table, its chest completely opened and pinned back against the table with long metal needles. Two long shelves cluttered with piles of papers, rotting organs, and instruments comprise the east and wast extent of the operating theater, and are only a few inches lower than the chamber's outer floor.

Four metal and glass tanks, each easily large enough to hold a human flank the short stairs leading to the operating theater. Each tank is full of yellow liquid streaked with rust. Indistinct, vaguely human silhouettes bob silently int he soupy fluid.

Spoiler
    Show

Map

Spoiler: dm notes
    Show

1/30
    1/30
    (1d10+3)[13]
    (1d4)[2]

Last edited by BelGareth; 2019-02-25 at 12:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Rose

Rabbit fearlessly clambers through the observatory, noting the conspicuous absence of the necromancer. Rose holds by the stairwell. "I can't find Filge," she says to her companions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rabbit:
    Reactive Spot: (1d20+6)[25]
    Reactive Listen: (1d20+7)[13]
    Move Action Listen: (1d20+7)[12]

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Deophaun; 2019-02-26 at 04:04 PM.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

Rabbit scuttles across the floor as Rose waits on the stairs, patiently attentive to the link between them, it seems happy to be going through the floor, it turns around one of the tubes, and suddenly physically bleets *DANGER* *DANGER*

As you receive that, you hear the breaking of glass, and the soupy splosh of heavy liquid smacking the ground.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack vs Rabbit
    (1d20+1)[21] vs AC 20
    Damage - (1d6+1)[6]

Everyone roll initiative!
    Filge - (1d20+2)[15]

3rd floor Map
    2nd floor Map

Show

2/30
    2/30

Last edited by BelGareth; 2019-02-26 at 04:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Narl

"Maybe he'll find us?" Narl deadpans. "If he's angry, we could say we're here to sell cookies for the Waterdeep Wilderness Girls Charity. Everyone likes cookies, right?"

OOC: Narl has no intention of charging bravely into the unknown. He holds position on the stairs for now. Still 10 feet from Rose to prevent her being caught in his aura of sadness.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative
    Rose 18
    Fardus - (1d20-1)[17]
    Filge 15
    Cyrius - (1d20-6)[14]
    Narl 9
    Casper 3

3rd floor Map
    2nd floor Map

Show

3/30
    3/30

Rose and Fardus are up
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2019-02-27 at 05:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

Slipping the book into his pack, Fardus moves quickly (trumps slowly) towards the stairs, responding to the sounds of pain above. He is slowed as he chants a prayer, reaching his thoughts brushing against the Song of Deneir as he recalls his gift of Knowledge. His mind reaches forward, seeking the presence of other minds ahead of him.

Show
    Moved on the map, casting Detect Thoughts (prepared, domain).

15. - Top - End - #765
    Titan in the Playground

As Cyrius and Narl take their time, hindered and slow to act as they were, all hell breaks loose up above.

Rose, being careful to avoid confrontation is forced to act, several lumbering shadows appear at the stairwell, and at the same time, a spectral hand appears before, stroking her skin softly delivering a terrible spell upon her. Her will shatters, and fear creeps up her spine as she is held firmly. She screams silently as the monstrous dead things stumble towards her, aided by the downward slope of the stairs, Narl just out of reach to help, eyes wide open as they tear into her flesh.

A moment later, he is in the thick of it, being beaten back by the terrible onslaught that was the undead creatures, their thirst never slaked, they hungered for yet more flesh, this time it moved and fought back, a terrible light in their eyes shone as they fought him and his companions showed up just in time to see him fall, only a few feet from their other companion, who was glassy eyed not a few feat up from him.

Blood soaked the stairwell at this point, and it was dripping down and pooling on the stairs, going from one step to the next. The Zombies lurched from their meal, surprised by the new comers.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Took some liberty

Narl and Cyrius is up.

Iadros woke up, there was something going on, and the sound of glass woke him from his stupor, his head hurt, he had been drinking, and what now? How did he end up in this closet?

Spoiler
    Show

You are bound in the front by rope, and gagged.
    Escape Artist check to escape (DC 12)
    Or break bonds with a Strength Check (DC 23)
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius

Cyrius looks up stairs with some degree of horror as blood drips down through the floor boards. "What just happened Daddy's?" he asks looking at the stairs and clutching his sword.

Entering his stance he readies himself seeking a blessing from the Ruby Lady before trotting upstairs.

Show

Cast protection from evil
    Initiate Law Devotion (currently +3 to hit)
    Last edited by DrK; 2019-07-01 at 12:10 AM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus

Turning to Cyrus, the portly dwarf shakes his head. "The screaming started. There is a fell intellect ahead, and given the state of our new threat I would assume it to be a necromancer. To arms!" He extends his hand, one silver-tipped finger pointing direly at the nearest undead. "Pew" At the word, a shimmering grey shard of light launches through the air and slams into the fiend.

With a thought, he commands his undead archers to march up the stairs to support them as their numbers are now drastically reduced.
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2019-07-02 at 02:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

Iadros

Iadros opened his bleary eyes, head pounding and startled to discover that he was bound and inside what appeared to be a closet or some other small room.

What happened? he wondered, quelling the rising sense of panic. He'd been drinking, that much he remembered, but then again he'd been doing a lot of that recently... after that, things got a little blurry. Did I get drugged? Someone knock me out? Or just nab me when I passed out from too much drink? No matter, I find out and make the scum pay once I get loose. Speaking of which... He tested his bonds; whoever had tied him had either been in a hurry, or just poorly skilled at knots. He began trying to work his way loose...

Show
    Escape artist check: [roll]1d20+3[roll]

EDIT: Messed up the roll tags, copying from the OOC thread:

Escape artist check: (1d20+3)[13]

Last edited by Dexam; 2019-07-02 at 09:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Titan in the Playground

~ Round 1 ~

As Cyrius gears up to deal with the new threat, Fardus hits one with a missile.
    The zombies slowly stand up from their macabre feast, eyes aglow with lust for the fresh flesh standing before them, they lumber down the stairs, skipping a stair here or two by accident, eyes fixated on their new meal.

The first one seems to be a green hued lizard of some kind, but obviously undead, hunks of it's flesh are missing all the way to the bone, which seems not to matter as it stumbles forward with it's long jaws slowly snapping at you.

The other is a goblinoid of some kind, it's large hulking frame holds what remains of it's chest below it's immense shoulders, it's face is doglike in appearance, and it wields a massive morningstar as if it was a forgotten item of it's former life.

Meanwhile, Iadros breaks his bonds and is free, albeit stuck in a closet of some kind.

Spoiler
    Show

Both zombies move down to Cyrius.
    Fardus hits one for 3 points.
    Iadros breaks his bonds

2nd floor map
    3rd floor map
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2019-10-07 at 11:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius

Cyrius steels himself and offers a prayer to the Ruby Goddess. "Undead monstrosities you are indeed. I'll send you back to where you belong by the Gods I will." Taking a blow on his shield he chops back with a solid strike of the stone dragon steeling himself for the fight to come. "Fardus, step behind me."

Show

Stone Bones at Zombie (1d20+10)[26] Damage (1d8+5)[6]
    EDIT: If hit then DR 5/ adamantine for 1 round
    EDIT: Heal Fardus Or anyone else for 2 HPs

HP 32/32
    Saves +5/1/4 +2 vs EVIL
    AC 19 +2 Vs EVil =21

Effects
    Law devotion +3 to hit
    Protection from Evil +2 AC/Saves vs evil 18/20 rounds
    Martial spirit stance: +2 hps healing w/ni 10ft

Last edited by DrK; 2019-07-28 at 03:30 PM.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ogre in the Playground

Swiftly freeing himself from his bonds, and his head rapidly clearing, the tiefling clambers to his feet. He does a quick inventory of himself and the closet, searching for a weapon some kind.

Even if I ain't got no weapon, I can still remember a spell or two that'll mess up their day just nicely...

Show
    So, what have I got on me, and what can I find in the closet?

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

"As you say, Cyrus. Stand firm!" The portly dwarf moves to a defensive position and begins to chant a spell after mentally commanding his skeletons to shoot the larger of the two zombies.

Show
    Skeleton Archers (3)
    (1d20+1)[9] to hit for (1d8)[4] damage vs BZ
    (1d20+1)[18] to hit for (1d8)[2] damage vs BZ
    (1d20+1)[15] to hit for (1d8)[6] damage vs BZ

Start Casting Summon Monster 1

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

~ Round 2 ~

Cyrius, Fardus, and Iadros

Cyrius slams into the zombie before him, slicing through the rotten flesh with ease while his own flesh hardened with the impact.

Fardus starts to summon something as he commands his minions to open fire. two bolts hit home, but are just not as impactful, one sticking out of the zombie haphazardly, while the other one thudded further into the fleshy bag.

The zombies before Cyrius turn their hungry gaze at you and swing their weapons with unbridled lust, as if their weapons would satiate their hunger.

Spoiler
    Show

Iadros (you have your weapons and gear)
    Fardus begins summoning, reloading heavy crossbows is a full round action, so next round.
    Both zombies attack Cyrius:

TZ1 - (1d20+3)[9]
    Damage - (1d10+1)[7]

BZ1 - (1d20+6)[18]
    Damage - (1d8+3)[7]

2nd floor map
    3rd floor map

Duskpaw, Sursha, Olivia, and Vana

The Mage Allustan had been clear, you were to head out at once and reinforce another band of his men he had hired, he said they had been seen heading to the Old Observatory, and so with haste, you had moved out, it was only a few minute past noon when you set out, and you find yourself coming up to the front door, it was ajar, and you can hear some crashing upstairs, steel on steel, the telltale sounds of combat.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Every door is open.
    You are in rounds, so you can only move your combat speed
    1st Floor
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2019-10-07 at 11:50 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus

The portly dwarf's chanting comes to a crescendo, and a gleaming beetle with strange orange glands appears on the stairs behind the furrier of the two zombies, directly across from Cyrus. The beetle lunges forward with jaws wide to snap at the much slower zombie.

Taking a breath, Fardus reaches out his hand and points a white-tipped finger at the same Zombie that the archers and beetle had been harassing. "Pew." A gleaming slip of silver flies through the air to tear into the body of the zombie.

Show
    Skeletons reload this round, next volley next round.
    Fire Beetle Attack! (1d20+1)[7] to hit for (2d4+1)[3] for SMITE EVIL damage (less that +1 if not Evil).
    Magic Missile! (1d4+1)[3]

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

Sursha

The young attractive halfling had pulled two daggers out the moment she noticed the front door was ajar. With a knowing glance towards Duskpaw at the sounds of combat she sprinted up the stairs as quickly as her halfling legs would carry her.

Spoiler: combat round
    Show

Initiative: (1d20+4)[6]
    Double move 40 feet towards the sound of fighting

Maneuvers Readied: Moment of Perfect Mind, Wolf Fang Strike, Wall of Blades
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

26. - Top - End - #776
    Titan in the Playground

Olivia

As Olivia picks up the sounds of combat herself she shakes her head and mutters to herself, "What in the Nine Hells is going on in my town?" as she sprints behind and overtakes Sursha as she also heads towards the stairs.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The young woman by Sursha looks into the building, her nose visibly twitching. She looks like a halfling at first glance, but there are some differences when one looks more closely. She is lithe, surprisingly flexible, and fast. Isana looks a little hesitant to head in, this place smelled wrong, but then Sursha dashed by, and that made the decision for her. She could never resist a chase. Within a few bounds, The sneakthief is already in the room with the stairs, moving along the wall to get a good look before moving upwards

Show
    double move, 30' move speed. Heading to AA17
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

28. - Top - End - #778
    Ogre in the Playground

Vana d'Tholos
    Generalist Wizard

Vana heard the commotion just as the others had. She moved into the building with a measured haste, having no desire to lead the charge, made obvious by her lack of any sort of weapon drawn.

Show

Double move to AG19
    Last edited by Deadguy; 2019-09-10 at 12:32 PM.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius

The young priest ducks back, parrying and slashing at the zombies, happy to take the blows on his shield and armour before swinging and chopping at the undead monster. "Come on Fardus, can you summon some more of your friends to assist us."

Hearing a commotion behind him he glances back at Fardus, "Fardus, is there more enemies creeping up behind us?"

Show

Attack Zombie (1d20+10)[18] Damage (1d8+5)[13]
    EDIT: Heal Fardus Or anyone else for 2 HPs

HP 32/32
    Saves +5/1/4 +2 vs EVIL
    AC 19 +2 Vs EVil =21

Effects
    Law devotion +3 to hit
    Protection from Evil +2 AC/Saves vs evil 17/20 rounds
    Martial spirit stance: +2 hps healing w/ni 10ft

30. - Top - End - #780
    Titan in the Playground

~ Round 3 ~

Cyrius, Fardus
    Cyrius slashes the zombie before him grievously ravaging its body, it's not enough however, and the thing is still standing, leering at him with glowing red eyes that flickered with hunger.

Fardus Launches a magical missile at one, *thwopping* into its flesh, as his minion is summoned and launches a very eager attack, which ultimately misses, but gives Cyrius the chance to maneuver.

Several more figures appear at the top of the stairs, 2 more zombies lurch down the stairs, amazingly not falling, even though they pass through the grisly remains of your friends! They each shamble up to the beetle, slow and steady, hunger in their eyes.

At the same time, a beam of energy appears from the top of the landing, and shoots through the air directly to Cyrius, a man appears where it originated, his outline forming from nothing, as if he was invisible! A pale looking man, he seems intent on Cyrius, and extremely angry.

Spoiler
    Show

Ray touch attack vs Cyrius:
    Ray - (1d20+3)[10] vs touch AC
    Str Penalty - (1d6+1)[5]
    Spoiler: spellcraft DC 16
    Show

You identify the spell from it's verbal components: Ray of Enfeeblement!

2 zombies full attack Cyrius again:
    TZ1 - (1d20+3)[5]
    Damage - (1d10+1)[7]

BZ - (1d20+6)[24]
    Damage - (1d8+3)[7]

2nd floor map
    3rd floor map
    Dexam is on hold, so Iadros fell asleep in the closet until further notice.

Duskpaw, Sursha, Olivia, and Vana

Running through the building, you find the first room full of rubble and a upturned table. Moving through, rooms line the north wall, doors open, you can tell the sound is coming from upstairs, and upon entering the main room, you find a disturbing sight.

Several decrepit beings are having a tea party!

The fight is obviously upstairs, and these people are either indifferent, or incapable of reacting.

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2019-10-07 at 11:51 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A