New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 41920212223242526272829
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Bel's Age of Worms [IC]

Iadros

Iadros takes Cyrius' offered handshake in a warrior's grasp - gripping his forearm instead his palm.

"Master Allustan, you say? I've heard the name bandied around town." The tiefling looks over the blue-skinned body on the operating table. "I wonder if the worm came out of this? Or if this is some other mad experiment?" He begins shuffling through the piles of paper, skimming them for anything that looks related to the worm or the blue corpse. "Might be there's something of interest in here, too. Best we gather up what we can and get moving, I guess." He helps the others loot the rooms and using his wiry strength to gather up the bodies of the fallen. "This might be easier if we had a cart, or mule, or something... what's all that about ghost boys and mysterious sealed doors? Sounds suspiciously like an adventure to me." Iadros gives another pointy-toothed sneer.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Troll in the Playground

"Wait, you mean to tell me you still haven't got past that damnable door?" Tobul Amshem approaches the group, a wry grin on her face as she addresses Cyrius and Fardus. "Sorry I disappeared on you like that. I had some... things... to take care of. So what's the plan?" The Dwarf will also take up a shovel as she greets the others.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

after Tobul reappears, it's not long before you all have ransacked the place and found anything of value, cloaked the skeletons, and are ready to depart.

[Where do you go?]
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Isana shrugs in answer to the new dwarf, "Probably head back to master Allustan, see what he makes of this mess and collect our pay. I'd rather not hang around here any longer, that much is for certain."
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

Still clomping down the stairs, leaning heavily on the staff with each step, Fardus calls back. "No no, I don't believe that there is need to speak with your wizard friend yet. We have bodies to lay to rest, bodies to return to their rest, and a cave to explore if I'm not mistaken! I know that my curiosity is peaked, and there is much to be done to resolve this wizard's request no?" The cleric shakes his head as he leads the way out of the building, his cloaked skeletons a macabre funeral march for their fallen allies.

~~~

Fardus leads the group to a small plot of land next to his cousin's home, a small space that the priestly dwarf had established as a cemetery. He directs his skeletons to break the ground, offering his allies the opportunity to help as they choose, so that they may partake in this ritual of parting that soothes the soul of those left behind, adding a finality to the final parting. Bodies lain to rest (perhaps with certain possessions removed for safekeeping), Fardus invites Cyrius to offer a prayer with him over the two bodies before the earth is pushed back into the graves, simple headstones placed at the head of each awaiting engraving.

With this accomplished and the hours of the night progressing, Fardus encourages the group to push on to the old farmstead so that the skeletons might at last be laid to rest.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius

At the small patch of round Cyrius spoke a few words of prayer offering, he hoped as he has been taught, some solace to the dead and helping their spirits find some peace in whatever plane they have ended up in. He nods to the to two dwarves and the tiefling after the small ceremony. As master Fardus says, we have more to do. If we can lay the poor farmers to rest we could rest briefly in the farm there and then head back to the Cairn in the morning?" He looks around to see if anyone else objects.

--

On the walk to the Land Farmstead he drops in beside Fardus and looks around at the others with them. "A strange thing Master Fardus, we seem to be picking up new companions as we fast as we lose them." Glancing upwards he grins, "The Gods are a strange beings, but I'm sure more swords will help. The Cairn was dangerous and I can't help but think that beyond that door will be even more danger."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

Staff tapping the ground as he walks, Fardus hums to himself almost tunelessly until Cyrius joins him. At his friend's arrival Fardus finds the Song of Deneir slipping from his lips, and he smiles and turns his head towards the warrior.

"Quite so, it does seem that the gods provide for us. Many mysteries to be found in the Cairn, many indeed. I wonder what we will find beyond the door?" A few steps further, a deep breath, and another thought. "How are you doing, Cyrius? This has been quite the busy night, with much chaos and violence. I do not believe any would look askance were you to be feeling any impact from the day's trials."

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

After checking everything, you manage to find this note hidden away:

Spoiler
    Show

Having put the strangers bodies to rest, you travel to the Land's farmstead finding it much like before, minus the angry owlbear.

It doesn't take long with some strong backs, shovels, and everyone helping to de animate the skeletons, dig graves, and then fill them back in.

Both Fardus and Cyrius take a moment to say a word or two for the dead in the manner of their religions. While the rest of you stand by respectfully.

Nothing obvious happens, but you all get the feeling that something happened, a warm feeling in your guts, as if happiness had a physical emotion, it quickly fades as fast as it appeared, and you all find yourself smiling at nothing.

[Where do you go?]
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ogre in the Playground

Iadros

Iadros's expression darkens as he reads the note. "A cult? I don't like cults. Not much good ever comes of 'em. I wonder if that white half-orc at the Feral Dog might be able to be 'convinced' to tell us who 'S' is?" He smacks a fist into his palm.

The tiefling helps dig graves for the fallen and the skeletons, issuing a steady stream of muttered curses and swears as he does so. However, does stand in respectful silence as the others issue their prayers and final words.

"So, what do you expect you'll find behind this door in the cairn you've been going on about?" Following the burial he does seem to be in a slightly less disagreeable mood than previously.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Knowledge (Local) check on Dourstone Mine: (1d20+5)[16]

10. - Top - End - #850
    Ogre in the Playground

Fardus the Dwarf

"I haven't the foggiest idea, and that is what excites me so! New information, new knowledge, new adventure!" The "A" in adventure is drawn out into a heavy yawn, and the dwarf blinks up at the dark sky. "I believe a night of rest is in order. Is everyone healthy and well enough for a good night's rest? We can continue our adventurous excursion in the morning."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Fardus has a Cure Light Wounds prepared, along with a pearl of power to allow it to be cast twice if anyone requires healing, along with a wand of Lesser Vigor.

(1d20+8)[12] Knowledge Local for the mine (joining the Knowledge party!) "I ROLLED A 4!" (obligatory Elan joke)
    Last edited by PeacefulOak; 2020-05-27 at 11:58 AM.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Isana brightens a bit, "I do love a good mystery. Do you think there's treasure back there?"
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

Olivia frowns as she reads the note, commenting, "I dislike the sound of that. If...If something like what they're describing is happening in Dourstone mine, then that sounds like bad news for us all. Unkillable zombies, in particular, sounds like a necromancer's dream. We should investigate..." She sighs, looks at the sky, then at the freshly turned soil of the burial grounds, "Tomorrow, I suppose. A good night's rest will do us all good." She sighs, shaking her head, and looks disgusted at the state of affairs, before walking off towards the Osgood family home.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius

Happy to have put them to rest Cyrius looks to Fardus and nods in emphatic agreement. "Aye my friend, its time to rest, to mourn and to sleep." Laying out his blankets in the abandoned farmstead he looks at the others. "We can head to the ancient tomb in the morning. THen..." he looks to Fardsus, "Then, we can investigate the Dourstone mines if there are zombies present they must be put to rest."

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ogre in the Playground

Iadros

Iadros scrubs a hand over his face. "Yeah, hopefully a rest'll get rid of this damned headache. I'm curious to see what's in this tomb you've been going on about... hopefully some loot, because I ain't interested in trying to kill unkillable zombies unless there's something in it for me."

He pulls a whetstone, oil, and cloth rag out of his pack and begins oiling and sharpening his sword. "You heroes get some rest, I'll take first watch."
    Last edited by Dexam; 2020-06-01 at 02:13 AM.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

Sursha

The young halfling had quietly helped throughout the day and as she took to bed she pulled out a small bible (titled "Words of Yondalla" if you speak the Hin tongue) and quietly read to herself. Before turning in completely for the night she quietly prayed before falling asleep.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

Resting for the night, you all gather up after an uneventful sleep, guard duty was boring, which is good, and the dew on the grass is thick, and wet, coating everything as the morning mist curls and sweeps away from the rising sun.

Heading out, you travel to the Cairn with ease, and enter it's gaping maw, some for the first time, but with a few veterans, who know exactly where to go, it doesn't feel nearly as imposing for a first timer.

The experienced members of the group head down the flight of stairs on the first floor, ignoring the lingering spiderwebs, and then into a massive chamber with alcoves, hanging lanterns, and a central sarcophagus, which they seemingly ignore, moving forward, they move up to one alcove, and start climbing up a rope attached to the ceiling, making their way to yet another entrance, this one being secret if you had to guess, and then heading through the gaping mouth into a hallway full of metallic balls and a narrow beam across.

Here is where a surreal scene unfolds.

He floats just in front of the door at the end of this hallway, a strange, serene smile upon his macabre face.

"You did it! You did it! You did what ya promised!" he says, bouncing in the air with joy, "Now I will do my part!" he declares, before vanishing through the door, you hear a click, and the metal door slides open, Alastor begins to fade from view, his body fading like petals in a wind, as he goes he says "Thank you!"

Looking through the now open door:

This cavernous chamber consists of a large stone walkway around a deep chasm that leads into darkness. Four platforms lead from the walkway to a central ring, but two of these platforms are broken. Bright light reminiscent of a summers day filters down from the ceiling about forty feet above. Four wide galleries extend from the outer walkway, their far walls covered with enormous bas-relief vistas. A sighing wind emits from the huge pillar of rushing air at the center of the chamber. The column extends from the floor to the ceiling, cutting through the rooms central ring.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Map
    Feel free to move yourselves anywhere on the beam before the door.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Isana's eyes are wide as she takes in the sights, her head swiveling to stare at various things for a few moments before moving on, "I... I don't suppose any of you want to explain what in the hells is going on? What was with the ghost guy, and what was supposed to be back here?"

18. - Top - End - #858
    Titan in the Playground

Cyrius

Longsword in hand Cyrius watches the ghost suspiciously then offers a prayer to the Ruby Goddess as the creature dissipates and leaves. It was a child, a dead one, long left unhappy. THe bones we recovered were his family. He can now join them for the long sleep and know peace." He nods, happy that the ghost has gone.

Peering beyond the door he whistles, "Whoever made this tomb had power, and magics. THere is nothing so fine near Diamond Lake normally eh?" He walks cautiously forward to the end of the broken bridge eyes looking left and right as he stares upwards to see where the light is coming from, hands sweating on the hilt of his longsword, and shield couched tightly against his side."