New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 55 - So many ships, you'd think it was on the ocean

[Morning Service]

Carolione nods

It really is fascinating: I've learned so much since coming here, but it only seems to show just how far behind I am. Just among our own followers, there are people I never new existed, and out in the city it is truly astounding.

[Wizard's Tower]

Calicyra snorts

It doesn't. I control all light, but that doesn't mean I'm completely without any other arcane abilities... they're just more limited. Still, there are times when spicing up the mixture is called for.

The second skeleton is now headless, and clatters to the ground in a pile of still-shielded but no longer animated bones.

Krystal groans

Radiance and I don't get along...

Outside, Anraja nods and focuses, then snaps off a small protrusion of her carapace and throws it down. Shortly after, it shifts and mutates into a small pulsing blob that rapidly sends tendrils of growth out in all directions.

It will spread rapidly, but we shall see if whatever keeps this grass alive is sufficient to maintain the creep.

[Sanctuary]

Caroline smiles

Thank you... that is very kind of you to say. And I am sure if there is any favor they would ask it would be reasonable... I really cannot say what that might be, and my guesses as to what either of them might want have rarely gone so well. I will just have to call upon Inari and see...

and with that, she bows her head quietly.

[Bathhouse]

Kitnick nods

I think you're right: I'm starting to get itchy... I think it's time to move on.

with that, he starts wading back to "shore" to retrieve his towel.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2017-01-30 at 11:17 AM.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Foxside: The Temple of Inari 55 - So many ships, you'd think it was on the ocean

Sanctuary

Winry smiles and gives Caroline some space and time, tail flicking nervously.

Bathhouse

Sam waits for Kitnick to get his towel, looking away politely and will get out of the water once the fox is wrapped up, expecting the fox to do the same.
    "So do we go get our stuff back or is there another step on the bath tour?" he asks with a chuckle.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #333
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Wizard's Tower]

"Well, good work."
    Nai leans against the banister or stairwell's side.
    "Give me a moment to catch my breath."
    Those skeletons took a lot out of her, literally. And this also lets them look around this level, see if it provides anything other than elevation.

"Oh, you're from a shadow realm, aren't you?"
    Poor Krystal. Atorre doesn't really have any darkness-manipulating abilities to help out with. All she can do is wrap the fox up in her wings to block out other flashes of light.

"I wouldn't put it past the old owner to make a grass-specific field, but that really seems like more trouble than one would go to for basically no benefit."
    He watches the creep start to spread. Kind of amazing. Definitely creepy.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-01-30 at 11:35 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #334
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Morning Service]

"When I first moved here I was a little overwhelmed. I barely left my apartment. But thankfully I made a friend with someone who grew up here. She has shown me a ton of cool places around." Ven seems to be hanging onto this conversation that pretty hard for someone looking to meditate. It might seem like she has something she wants to talk about, probably not specifically with Caroline. Or maybe she is trying to avoid thinking about something by talking about anything else.
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Thanks for the Nude Avatar MethosHazara

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    Do they cry on those worlds,
    to?

5. - Top - End - #335
    Pixie in the Playground

[Morning Service]

Caroline nods

I can certainly understand that. I didn't really have that option, of course: my position is a little too public.

she smiles

Well, I don't want to make you late for work. Is there anything else I can help you with?

[Wizard's Tower]

Krystal nods as she struggles back to a seated position: a trickle of blood running from her left nostril.

Yeah.. shadows. And I hadn't shielded against radiance at all...

Around the room are three mirrors and a doorframe set into the wall: it seems likely this is where the necromancer would actually enter.

Outside, the creep spreads and grows. Anraja nods in satisfaction

You were right, friend Atorre: the creep is sustained just as if it were grass. The magic of this place is not sophisticated enough to know the difference.

[Bathhouse]

Kitnick indeed does not turn or peek, facing the lone passageway leading to or from the pool

Pretty sure we're done, and there's only the one door that goes back to the locker room.

[Sanctuary]

Caroline sighs

I'm on hold, sorry. I just don't have Caravan's ability to cut through the system...

a rather cryptic comment to be sure, but in surprisingly short order thereafter, there is a slight tingly feeling and then she is there. A woman of decidedly Japanese decent, hair tied up in a towel and dressed in a fairly thin robe of various shades of green appears. Caroline blinks at the utterly and completely incongruously informal appearance of her goddess.

Greetings. Sorry for my appearance, but I just got out of the bath and I have a meeting with the ever-demanding Ministry that I need to get to. But the Nexus is always a pleasant diversion... How can I help?
    Last edited by Fenric; 2017-01-30 at 09:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

Bathhouse

There shouldn't be any trouble exiting the bathhouse and getting dressed again. Unless something odd happens on the way out, they should be back at the entrance and ready to say goodbye.
    "Well, thanks, Kitnick. It was fun." says the spigre jovially, extending a hand to shake.

Sanctuary

Winry's ears droop, a bit embarrassed to be in this situation. Inari seems very professional, whereas Message was making an effort to come off as friendly.
    "I, uh, recently got strong-armed into the deity business and I just wanted some advice. You don't have to risk being late for me..." she says, quietly.

7. - Top - End - #337

Default [Wizard's Tower]

"We'll keep an eye out for it. You'll be okay."

Nai pokes around the mirrors and doorway, trying stock magic words before asking Calicyra what, if anything, they do.
    "I imagine you can discern any enchantments around here more clearly than we can."

The fragment left outside nods as well.
    "What would have been the point? No one visits to bring other plant life."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #338
    Pixie in the Playground

[Bathhouse]

Kitnick shakes the proferred hand

Yeah, it was fun! Thanks for stopping by. Time to get back to work, though: see ya 'round.

[Sanctuary]

Inari waves her hand

Now, now: don't worry about me - I will have no trouble keeping my appointment. I'm really quite happy to help.

she smiles

One can never have too many divine allies. And you'd be surprised how common your predicament is here in the Nexus. Now, what portfolio did you end up with?

[Wizard's Tower]

Calicyra falls silent briefly before responding

The mirrors are your garden variety scrying setup, preset to view two locations back on the planet and ... somewhere dark... perhaps Krystal could identify it? The frame is simply a teleport target, that one who knew it's location could use to return here without risk of error.

Krystal heads over to the third mirror and ponders it, dabbing at her nose with a tissue. She doesn't respond immediately, however.

Outside, Anraja nods once more and watches the creep spread rapidly to it's maximum range from the colony source.

I think I will need six to eight colonies to completely cover this area. But I cannot infest the tower with my own spores: I lack the proper type.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Bathhouse

Sam will provide Kitnick with a phone number for if he ever needs cooking advice, and trundles off for now.

Sanctuary

Winry brightens a bit, even if she's unsure of her domains.
    "Uh, homesteads and all that entails, animals, growth/change, and...something else. It hasn't really spoken to me yet. I've been changing with the moon but I don't think I have anything else to do with it." she ponders. The last domain is actually fairly obvious looking at her, but she hasn't really put it all together.

10. - Top - End - #340

Default [Wizard's Tower]

"Thank you, Calicyra. Now, further up!"
    Nai is well enough to put on a brave face and race up to the third floor.

"Do you suppose these scrying mirrors still look on any particular place?"

"What would the proper spores even do with an empty tower?"
    The fragment strolls over to the edge of the creep to examine it.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #341
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [Morning Service]

Ven thinks for half a second then shakes her head. "No thank you. Please have a good day." Then she will slip into the gardens for a half an hour or so checking the time on her watch, and getting very little actual meditation done.
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Thanks for the Nude Avatar MethosHazara

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    Do they cry on those worlds,
    to?

12. - Top - End - #342
    Pixie in the Playground

[Wizard's Tower]

Krystal chuckles

Those two respectively look on a fairly mundane house in Kotyo, and an empty field outside of Honshu. This one is ... interesting. Very interesting. It's extra-planar, and like Calicyra said... it's dark there. Like ... nothing: even I can't see when there's no light at all... which makes me think it's shielded, 'cause unless it's absolute zero, it can't be perfectly.

The, up the stairs one last time: to a solid wooden door with neither lock nor latch!

--

Anraja shrugs

Mostly... make it more comfortable. Also we can perceive anything in the vicinity of the creep, which is tremendously useful. And buildings that will make new rooms and extensions just because you want them to are extremely helpful.

[Sanctuary]

Inari looks at Winry, then into her, and through her, and beside her, and several other dimensional peerings that do not have appropriate adverbs in English

Interesting. I do have the same advice for you as for the previous new deity I met: find a high priest or priestess, and get yourself established with people who need you. You'll know when you meet them...

she glances at the stubbornly childless Caroline, then smiles

I imagine my temple is a bit noisy for you, as my influence encourages a certain amount of procreation among my followers.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

Winry tilts her head, admitting Inari's observation.
    "I mean, I'm used to crowds; that's what a herd is. And as odd as it's been I am a herd animal. But the city is...too full of cement. I never liked it as a mortal, and I like it less now. I have...some candidates for priests, but they aren't very preachy. I might be best suited looking somewhere else..." she replies, pondering.

Another Time

Nick Richards visits the temple on official business, wearing what qualifies for a dress uniform on a griffin. True, he could have just gone as a normal person but that wouldn't really be representative of him anyway. He isn't really sure if he should be speaking to Caroline or the werefoxes, so for now he'll settle for the high priestess as to avoid skipping chain of command.
    Last edited by Deathkeeper; 2017-02-01 at 09:00 PM.

14. - Top - End - #344

Default [Wizard's Tower]

The only thing to do with such a door is kick it down! Using a pinch of psionics to kick harder than normal.

Plum edges away from the dark scrying mirror, nervous.
    "What are the nearby dimensions like in this universe? We usually try not to meddle with such things."

"Thinking you might stay here a while?" he inquires to Anraja.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #345
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Inari nods

A major metropolis does make for difficulties when your primary focus is more rural. That's why this is far more of a fox temple than rice: the nearest rice paddies are quite some distance from here.

You seem to have a fair grasp of the situation overall... did you have any specific questions?

[Sanctuary 2]

Caroline is still here. She smiles and bows politely

Good morning, officer: the blessings of Inari be upon you. What can we do for you today, Nick?

[Wizard's Tower]

The door flies open violently: having barely been latched let alone locked. The next room is interior and dark, explaining why Calicyra had not yet mentioned what might be inside.

Krystal shrugs

Usual second-edition universe. I'd guess a para-elemental plane: they're easy enough to get to and easy to set up and maintain a little spot for yourself. I'm not feeling anything that would hint at either upper or lower planes, and nothing strong enough to imply anything too terribly exotic. Maybe minerals: don't necromancers need a lot of gems?
    Last edited by Fenric; 2017-02-03 at 09:34 AM.

16. - Top - End - #346

Default [Wizard's Tower]

Nai waves Calicyra around.
    "Light the place up! Let's see what he had here."

Plum nods.
    "Onyx and obsidian. A deep dark part of the plane of Earth, perchance. Ah. You have such elegant, straightforward planes!"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

Winry frowns.
    "I just...I don't know what to do. I have no followers really, no priest. How do I convince anyone to accept my help if they're already living alright? I don't look like this all the time but it's hard to be taken seriously when I do." she explains.

Sanctuary 2

Nick bows his head.
    "Hello, ma'am. I had a proposal for your private army here. You're in charge of them, right?" he asks.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Pixie in the Playground

[Wizard's Tower]

Calicyra grumbles

I don't need to be jostled around to create illumination.

The room is immediately lit in a bright, even, golden glow: revealing a rather pleasant if necromancer-themed sitting room.

Krystal nods

Yeah, it's a lot simpler than some places I've heard of.

Outside, Anraja shrugs

Now that we are here, we might as well take advantage of it. And perhaps it will provide a location that they would be willing to meet with us, as they do not have facilities here themselves and could feel more confident that our envoy would be unable to threaten them.

The creep is the usual mottled pink/red/brown organic growth that is featured in all of the games. It has a limited awareness of its surroundings and is psionically active, linked back in this case to the colony that Anraja planted, which is in turn gathering and transmitting information psionically to the swarm: giving them a comprehensive, real-time view of everywhere the creep exists.

[Sanctuary]

Inari smiles

Generally, one starts off by providing favors without demanding worship first. A miracle or two, while tiring, can go a long way toward earning the respect and worship of mortals.
    And as far as appearance goes, you need not appear in your proper form: at the very least, become invisible and use an illusion - even a powerful mortal has difficulty piercing a divine effect. Though most of us can alter our appearance at well, even with a vastly limited following... have you tried?

[Sanctuary 2]

Caroline nods

That is correct, within reason: I do have budgetary constraints and we do our best to stay within the bounds of Inside law, relegating us to self defense, training, and educational activities.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2017-02-03 at 12:43 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

Winry frowns.
    "Helping out farmers or something I can do but...I don't think I can alter myself. I bring change, and I am it, but I have...a schedule sort of thing. A cycle. I don't think I can really deviate from it."

Sanctuary 2

"Right. Are they interested in having more leeway? And uh, pardon my presumptions, Ma'am, but I've visited quite a few times. From experience, they could use something to do. Inside's structure is changing, and I'm looking for local groups to get more active in our activities. The trustworthy ones, of course. And I know I can trust your men." Nick says, sitting up onto his haunches to not be so much below Caroline's eyes.

20. - Top - End - #350

Default [Wizard's Tower]

"Well, no, but it's more fun that way. Like a magic wand."
    Nai gives the room a cursory exploration - sitting in the bone-edged armchair, flipping through the tomes of pop-black-magic on the coffee table, and otherwise poking around.
    "Anything of note in here, or is the real magic further up?"

Plum follows in more carefully.
    "I guess you aren't really an interplanar empire though, huh?"
    That would be a lot of work.

Uniformly purple creep then.
    "You'll probably want to sort of ask the foxes' permission."
    On a completely different topic, the fragment inquires - "How do you manage so much psionic connection? Even the ground..."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #351
    Pixie in the Playground

[Sanctuary]

Inari nods

So don't! Like I said: an Illusion works just as well: don't show them your true self at all.

She smiles sympathetically at Winry

My dear... this is not my natural appearance by any stretch. I exist on three more dimensions than this slice of the universe understands, and when I say that you can't see my true self, it is because your current sensory organs quite literally cannot process the necessary information. How does one describe a sphere to a circle? Can a rectangle truly comprehend a cube? When even the mortal notion of time doesn't matter to me and that I could stay here until every mortal currently alive had grown old and died of age - including the long-lived elves - and still not miss my meeting in an hour from my point of view?

You have all that ahead of you, Winry, so don't look at this as a chore. Look at it as the beginning of an amazing adventure that started but a moment ago and a moment from now will be far more than you ever dreamed. And someday you will be ready to discuss my products, or argue, or perhaps even fight... we can be best friends, worst enemies, lovers, complete strangers, mundane acquaintances... and do it all again.

ETERNITY IS A LONG TIME

[Sanctuary 2

Caroline nods

You are absolutely correct: they are fairly well desperate for something useful to do, Nick. The Temple Board of Directors wants to disband them and send them "home", despite that most of them have lived here since it was called "Town" and many have lived here their entire lives. They have tried their hardest to prove themselves, only for it to come up a failure time and time again - and that mostly because the efforts were in other places like Riverside or VIGIL.

[Wizard Tower]

The item we seek is in the very apex of the tower, the roof of which is some sort of crystal itself. Up at least three more human-sized "floors", though I cannot vouch to the actual layout.

Krystal chuckles

Nah: one dimension's good enough for us right now, thanks. And our "empire" is that one planet and a bunch of random stations on generally uninhabitable moons and planetoids.

Outside

And how do we get their permission without speaking to them? We do not employ technology like they do, they are nearly completely psionically mute, and they dismiss dreams as figments of subconscious neural pruning.

Then she looks at the creep

That is simple: the creep has undifferentiated neural tissue run throughout, which carries psionic energy. The colony (or other appropriate construct) powers the whole, which is why it has a maximum range.
    Last edited by Fenric; 2017-02-03 at 10:41 PM.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

"Eternity is a very long time, but that's the one thing I did ask for with this gig. Please, let me know if there's anything I can do for you. I mostly can only help with protecting plants from frost and uh, animal stuff, but I've no clue if that'll change in a few months." the cow-goddess offers.

Sanctuary 2

Nick smiles and pulls out a folder and offers it to Caroline.
    "Well, if your Board doesn't mind them being co-opted by a foreign government, I can offer them official jurisdiction over the neighborhood around here. Union's partially pulling out of Inside soon, so I'm organizing the local peacekeeping forces to be more of a unified force. You're a trusted third-party so I can wave the applications and such while we're actually forming up. So uh, if you're willing, welcome to the Intersection Initiative." he says, proud of that line.

23. - Top - End - #353

Default [Wizard Tower]

"Further up!"
    Back to the stairs!

"Hey, even a single planet is a lot!" Plum insists. "we haven't managed it yet."

Outside, the fragment laughs.
    "Well yes, they're alien, after all."
    As for an actual suggestion:
    "You might not have a written language of your own, but surely mastering the werefoxs' isn't beyond you."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #354
    Pixie in the Playground

[Wizard's Tower]

Inari shakes her head

I have no need of assistance right this moment. Perhaps Caroline has something? Regardless, I shall get back to preparing for my meeting. I twas nice talking to you, Winry: good luck!

And with that, she vanishes as quickly as she arrived: leaving Caroline blinking

Um... some frost protection on the formal gardens is always welcome: the small maples and cherries are fragile, and late frosts always cause problems...

[Sanctuary 2]

Caroline takes the folder with a smile

Actually... I think they would rather like the notion if presented correctly. And that new is both interesting and just the tiniest bit frightening... yes, I believe we will accept: as it seems likely we would end up forced to assist even if we tried to remain neutral for some reason.

then she chuckles

Amusingly: since we have opened the training program into sort of a school, does this not make us the first official "police academy" in Inside?

[Wizard Tower]

Indeed! Up one more flight, the door here is the same as below: sans guards.

It would seem he felt no need of further security... how dull.

Krystal shrugs

Considering that nobody knew this place even existed, it's a little paranoid of him to have had as much security as he did.

then she grins at plum

To be fair: we did kinda cheat.

Outside, Anraja nods

This is true: learning their system of written communication would allow a variety of communication currently unavailable to us.

25. - Top - End - #355

Default [Wizard Tower]

And there's probably no need to break down the door this time. Nai just tries the handle and takes a quick look inside. Don't want to leave anything troublesome beneath them.

"Surely he'll have guarded the crystal at the top;You'll have some more fun."

Plum chuckles.

"Even so. You've held onto it all this time."

"If nothing else, one should want to know what their enemy is saying, and has said."
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2017-02-06 at 11:12 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

Winry smiles bashfully at Caroline, standing up straight and letting out another bovine noise that still sounds very silly coming out of her lips.
    "There you are, dear. One season's protection. No trouble at all." she says proudly.

Sanctuary 2

Nick scratches his chin, thinking about that.
    "I mean, I think we have one but I didn't go, so not sure. Either way, in there are all the details you'll need. Once you sort the details out you can have their leader report for briefing and such. There really won't be too much that they'll have to do. The most troublesome thing will probably be uniforms." he says with a smile.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Pixie in the Playground

[Wizard Tower]

The door is unlocked and unbarred, and opens easily.

Bedroom: and the sickly musty smell inside answers at least part of the question of what became of the tower's former owner.

Ugh! Should have expected that, though, I guess.

There's an empty potion bottle on a nightstand next to the bed, whereon rest the fairly thoroughly decayed remains of the necromancer who had spent such pains to build the tower.

Outside, Anraja nods

True. We shall have to devote some time to that endeavor.

[Sanctuary]

Caroline smiles

Thank you! Is there anything else you need?

[Sanctuary 2]

Caroline nods

I will pass this along to Verise. I do not know if she will attend herself or send a representative, but I will make sure that she lets you know either way.

Our troops do have uniforms already... did you have something particular in mind?

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

Sanctuary

Winry gives Caroline a small wave.
    "Oh, no, I think I'm fine. I can see myself out." she offers, and will move to do so.
    At least unless a certain shapeshifting priest wishes to speak with the junior deity as well.

Sanctuary 2

Nick considers this.
    "Well Union guys are supposed to wear gray but I guess I am calling the shots. Do you think you could work in a hat or a helmet? They need to be easily recognizable. Just a badge might not be obvious enough to civilians." he offers.

29. - Top - End - #359

[Sanctuary]

Right on cue, another priest comes by and now, after just a moment, there's a second Winry here.
    "There is someone new!"
    Of course, Arlem still has her weapon at her side and her baby pseudo-fox carried in a sling, so there's little risk of getting them mixed up right now.
    "Arlem, at your service."

She tries to poke around Caroline's recent thoughts for details on who this divine visitor is.

[Wizard's Tower]

Plum scrunches up her face and they head right for the upper floor.

"Do we know who this was?"

Outside, the fragment nods agreement.

"And failing that, there must be at least one fox who takes dreams seriously."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #360
    Pixie in the Playground

[Wizard's Tower]

Calicyra is negative

I have no knowledge of him. Judging by that vial, whoever he was he failed to successfully transition to lichdom and instead perished. It is, fortunately, an astoundingly difficult process to successfully perform and far more fail than succeed.

Krystal shakes her head

Death doesn't like being cheated. Oh well... moving on!

Up again: the last landing before the top. Once again, a door. But this time instead of skeletons, there is a vague and indistinct area of darkness that slowly shifts and undulates. Krystal doesn't think much of it's chances against the Destroying Light.

Something tells me this won't take long...

Outside, Anraja chuckles

Perhaps, perhaps. We shall see.

[Sanctuary]

Caroline is by this point quite used to Arlem's poking around and doesn't resist. Not that she has a lot of information about Winry... but what she knows now Arlem does too.

Hello, Arlem: how is the little one?

[Sanctuary 2]

Caroline smiles

Our dress uniforms are black, the duty uniforms are more grayish. In any case I was thinking more of a bright armband, or perhaps a vest: something your various cooperative groups could wear over their respective garb (if they have any). Certainly a badge is not going to be enough for simple identification to the general populace, though perhaps wise for official verification of status.