New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VII: A T.A.D. Too Much Dialogue These Days

I think someone with a Long Gun is trying to start wars. Almost certainly it's not one of the main players we know have them. So that means it's someone we have not seen yet. Or it is someone we have seen and who we don't know has a Long Gun. I suspect the a faction of the kitties is responsible and the destruction of the station that brought the Toughs to this system was an attempt to hide evidence of the Long Gun.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    Would you be willing to explain the logic behind that statement? I must have missed something.
    The Milky way is big. These explosions are all close (in galactic terms) to the toughs current position. We're pretty sure it's being done by somebody that Petey doesn't know has long guns. Petey doesn't know that this lot have long guns. It could be some random we've not heard of, but whoever it is they have to be close (not for the long guns, but it wouldn't make sense to attack people who'd have no interest in you anyway), so for plot it's probably the current antagonists.

<edit> I don't feel right calling these kitties, they look more like small dogs to me, and they really oughtn't to be either. I don't mind other people calling them kitties, so long as it's not misogenistically.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2018-01-07 at 03:41 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    The Milky way is big. These explosions are all close (in galactic terms) to the toughs current position. We're pretty sure it's being done by somebody that Petey doesn't know has long guns. Petey doesn't know that this lot have long guns. It could be some random we've not heard of, but whoever it is they have to be close (not for the long guns, but it wouldn't make sense to attack people who'd have no interest in you anyway), so for plot it's probably the current antagonists.
    Given the strip's history I wouldn't bet on that. How many times have we been confident that X is the antagonist and it turns out to be Y instead? There'd need to be an actual link between the destroyed ships and the little kitties that goes beyond "Not very far away in galactic terms". Especially since long guns, by their very nature, can be fired from anywhere to hit anywhere else.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Yes and the most of the targets so far don't seem to have much military or symbolic significance, so I doubt it's an attempt to start or win a war.

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

My bet: A pet that keeps jumping on the red "Shoot" button.

6. - Top - End - #1146

BlackDragon

Maybe these aliens are more like foxes than kittens?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

7. - Top - End - #1147

re: thread title - I dont mind too much dialogue, but I hate dialogue that has no point. The 'god-AIs vs. concerned citizens' sequenzes are breathing redundancy and obscurity, so far. As a reader, I'd like to know what the concerned citizens are concerned about, what the god-AIs are thinking about the deployed long guns and why this scene is so important that we have to endure un-witty banter for days in a row.

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Titan in the Playground

The comic occasionally hits these sequences that will be fine when read in succession (archive binge, printed book), but appear a bit "OK, get to the point already" when read one strip a day.

SM is however hardly the worst offender when it comes to this.

And then there are comics that rush so hard to get to each important or witty instance that it feels like you're missing a load of context or reading every other strip, even if you've read the entire archive from start to current twice.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

9. - Top - End - #1149

Oh sure. I just never before thought the current thread title was this appropriate before, and I follow SchM for eight or nine years now.
    The comic has had its lenghts before, and more frequently in the last couple years, but most times, there was some new information even when there was only dialogue bubbles.

Or, like today, a great recap of old information. Though my questions are still unanswered, at least it gave me a bit to think about shinooks sanity - a goddess ruling about millions of people.

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm kinda with the green guy there.
    Sure, it all turned out well so far and Chinook is nice enough, but installing Tagii in the Can was a desperation move at best.
    One I seriously hope the galaxy survives.

And „I survived worse plans” is definitely not reassuring.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Onyavar View Post
    Oh sure. I just never before thought the current thread title was this appropriate before, and I follow SchM for eight or nine years now.
    The comic has had its lenghts before, and more frequently in the last couple years, but most times, there was some new information even when there was only dialogue bubbles.

Or, like today, a great recap of old information. Though my questions are still unanswered, at least it gave me a bit to think about shinooks sanity - a goddess ruling about millions of people.
    One of Howard's policies is that he plans for the eventual physical books to end up in comic shops and he wants a new reader picking up any book for the first time to be able to understand it without needing to read any other books. So if something from previous books is going to be relevant it gets recapped. What this tells us is that Chinook's origins are going to somehow be important in the current book.

12. - Top - End - #1152

Beholder

Just face it kitty, you haven't been in control for a long while.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    And „I survived worse plans” is definitely not reassuring.
    Coming from another ones crazy suicidal manipulative AI restored from what counts as a gestalt at best.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

14. - Top - End - #1154

BlackDragon

Nice to see that the experience of having his arms ripped off and re-attached has not taught the shiplord any manner of humility.

15. - Top - End - #1155

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Nice to see that the experience of having his arms ripped off and re-attached has not taught the shiplord any manner of humility.
    In an odd way I do quite like Shipless Straben.

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    He has some sort of mental or ego dysfunction.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    In an odd way I do quite like Shipless Straben.
    I at least enjoy watching him get his comeuppance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Firbolg in the Playground

There are interesting plot threads to pick here. The biggest is: Who are the Galactic Michael Bays and what are their motives? As a secondary, there's: what exactly is the deal with the isolationists and their pirate militias. But instead, we are given Recap Time with AIs, and Slapstick Comedy Hour with Schlock's ill-adapted armor upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    There are interesting plot threads to pick here. The biggest is: Who are the Galactic Michael Bays and what are their motives? As a secondary, there's: what exactly is the deal with the isolationists and their pirate militias. But instead, we are given Recap Time with AIs, and Slapstick Comedy Hour with Schlock's ill-adapted armor upgrade.
    Honestly this has been my problem for awhile. HT seems to avoid the plot threads or stories I would find interesting. I first noticed it at the end of Delegates and Delegation. We have a MASSIVE attempted fake coup and civil war and then the thread is just... dropped... The total resolution of that plot was the arms dealers leaking the ostensible perpetrators identities for lack of payment. And no one follows up on it. That should have been the start of a MASSIVE war. A true full conventional war. Heck even if not a conventional war, a pretty hectic covert one between intelligence force should be going on. Plenty of room for well paying already deeply involved mercenary group there. Instead, we shift to focus on Iana-Eifa and big dumb objects in what was to me a long and tedious arc. And every time it started to get potentially interesting, the story would be summarily wrapped up, ignored, or toss aside in favor of something less interesting.

The long term stuff on the back burner about the long guns and potential collapse of galactic civilization is interesting but being drowned out by this current disaster relief story and dribbled out in tiny pieces. Even parts of the relief story are interesting, but instead we're watching schlock learning how to control a new suit of armor. Something which was already done and in better fashion with Tailor during the Gav story line. At least, I found schlock accidentally grabbing his own eyeball to be a funnier joke, both visually and in the written format, then accidentally splitting his mass apart in the current one.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Aaaand we have the connection between the two plotlines. Just as I expected.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

21. - Top - End - #1161

Well, I hope everybody's Laz 5 gestalts are up to date.
    Ifrit avatar by linkele

Spoiler: Other Avatars
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Titan in the Playground

Well that's not a good sign.

23. - Top - End - #1163

I've lost track here, whose ship just got long-gunned?

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    I've lost track here, whose ship just got long-gunned?
    I believe that the Maxim 39 was Kevyn's ship. Who else was aboard it, I'm not sure.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-01-26 at 10:41 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

25. - Top - End - #1165

BlackDragon

Does that make the Maxim 39 one of the shortest-lived ships the Toughs have had? From introduction to destruction in around a year of real time is pretty fast!

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well this scene takes place in Maxim 39, as does this one.

If we are to assume that none of those characters have left the ship then by my count that makes the Kittenlord, Thurl, Ennesby, Para, Neeka, Aardman, Tarpaulin, and Buni plus a likely possibility of Kevyn since he is the captain of the Maxim 39.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2018-01-27 at 05:16 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oh well, the cast was getting too large anyway...
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ogre in the Playground

The bear-god figured it out a few seconds before they exploded. Backups of everyone were surely saved.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Troll in the Playground

Just two more ships and captain Tagon is the senior officer with the biggest ship in the company again.

What, those are the rules now right? Dying means demotion.

I just hope Tagii or someone can run the reviving machine, because if the doc was on board of the Maxim 39 she ain't gonna be doing it.

The ship itself may be a loss for the comic though, it looked pretty cool.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2018-01-27 at 09:51 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Titan in the Playground

Evacuation by teraport cage or restorations from backups might come into play at this point.

If not, and this is where we start losing a lot of the Toughs... I'm not sure if I can keep going.