New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default World's Largest Dungeon; the Crawl

Your trek across the mountain was rudely interrupted by a giant lying across your trail. Investigation revealed a small tunnel behind him, and further delving revealed a system of caverns beneath.

You've been down here for a day now, and have come across a construction that is clearly manmade. You entered through a vertical rift in the southern side, and a similar slit exists on the western side of the immense 150 by 150 ft. room, hewn from impossibly regular white stone. The entry tunnel is clearly the result of some calamity; the white, seamless stone is cracked and broken, giving you a good look at it. The artificial white stone 'walls' lead of the room are thirty feet thick, before the natural stone of the mountain asserts itself.

The only feature aside from the rifts and damage is the twin featureless iron doors, one set in the northern walls where it meets the western, and another in the eastern wall where it meets the southern.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: World's Largest Dungeon; the Crawl

Xavier thinks to himself about glory and high adventure and proving himself before plunging in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Imagine how many problems you can solve, how many ways you can help your friends, when not constrained by paltry morality! Imagine how much good you can achieve when you're willing to go to any length to achieve it! Imagine the monsters you can slay when you are the greatest monster of them all!
    Company Website: http://lernaeanstudio.com
    PF 3pp Subreddit I Mod: r/Pathfinder3pp

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

It's been days, isn't it? Were Cassandra's thoughts while in that place. After going down the rift, and entering those ruins or temple, her joy popped up when she would step up and claim to everyone else, regardless if they were paying attention or not.

''Ruins! Perfect! Stay close, if this is some kind of temple or a dungeon, we need to be sure to do not trigger any sort of trap.'' Said closing to the other side of the room, trying to figure its architecture, and finally checking on for traps in the twin iron doors.
    Spoiler: Mechanics & Out of Character
    Show
    Riven rolls for Search in the iron doors area. Her usual method is to place her backpack where they came from, or close to her allies, reducing her weight in case a trap pops out, and keeping it near her companions in case they have to run the opposite side from the entrance.

By the way, my search check will be too low, as I kinda forgot to add ranks in it... haha...

Search (1d20+3)[6]

In case a trap is discovered (as if), I'll roll for Disable Device (1d20+7)[22]
    Check out which is the Playground's favorite Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus the Grim View Post
    "Narass, what's the scouter say about their power level?"

"**** if I know."
    >> My Extended Signature <<

Hey guys, I'm a vestige! And a spell!

Awesome avatar by Cuthalion.

4. - Top - End - #4

The doors are entirely featureless, except for an iron ring, presumably used to pull the door closed after you push it open - the hinges sit in the wrong place for it to open towards you.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Burnscar View Post
    The doors are entirely featureless, except for an iron ring, presumably used to pull the door closed after you push it open - the hinges sit in the wrong place for it to open towards you.
    Xavier begins to gradually push the door open, keeping a hand on his shapesand ranseur. He will also use his airstep sandals to fly to where he barely can go through the doors: i.e. to the highest point he can go and still go through.
    Last edited by LordOfCain; 2016-10-15 at 06:55 AM.
    Imagine how many problems you can solve, how many ways you can help your friends, when not constrained by paltry morality! Imagine how much good you can achieve when you're willing to go to any length to achieve it! Imagine the monsters you can slay when you are the greatest monster of them all!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Blasted stubborn tin can... Barack thinks to himself as he stomps into the room, leading his mule along. He takes a moment to take in the sheer size of this room before turning his attention to the antics of his companions.

"Oy, you! Don't just be yanking on strange doors before we even know if they're safe to touch! Do ya want to get blasted?" Barack shakes his head, and drops the reins for the mule next to the huge backpack. "Seriously, though. I have a perfectly good mule right here, why are you carrying around this blasted bag of inconvenience?"

That said, he concentrates for a moment and a fine suit of blood red full plate armour springs into being around him, fitting as though made specially for him. He scratches idly at the odd bump on his neck that hadn't been there before this morning, and turns to the Elan. "If things get rough, think you could keep a hand on Betsy here?" He pats the mule on the neck, assuming agreement before stomping over to the door currently being opened, his morning star at the ready.

7. - Top - End - #7

Xavier Reflex (1d20+2)[5]

Xavier pushes the door open. It is gradually swallowed by a vertical plane of white. Xavier tries to avoid getting his hand stuck in it, but just the tip of his finger passes through the plane, and is stuck. He can't pull his finger back out.
    Last edited by Burnscar; 2016-10-15 at 12:56 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Xavier Reflex [roll0]

Xavier pushes the door open. It is gradually swallowed by a vertical plane of white. Xavier tries to avoid getting his hand stuck in it, but just the tip of his finger passes through the plane, and is stuck. He can't pull his finger back out.
    Well... y'all coming? Xavier proceeds to completely enter.

9. - Top - End - #9

Xavier passes through the white pane, and now stands in complete darkness.

10. - Top - End - #10

Xavier passes through the white pane, and now stands in complete darkness.
    If only I could see in the dark. I call out to the people outside, "Anyone gotta torch?"

11. - Top - End - #11

The people on the other side of the barrier hear nothing.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Riven picks up her backpack, and goes through the open doorway. It felt weird, but even so she would enter, better not be split.

"**** if I know."

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Yael View Post
    Riven picks up her backpack, and goes through the open doorway. It felt weird, but even so she would enter, better not be split.
    Yay! Once she comes through, Xavier says "Ya gotta torch? Kinda can't see here..."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

''Sure'' Riven opens one of her pouches and takes out a sunrod, which she snaps so it turns on into green light.
    Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    I'm using a sunrod. It glows for an hour, but shines like a torch.

What can we see in the room?

"**** if I know."

15. - Top - End - #15

''Sure'' Riven opens one of her pouches and takes out a sunrod, which she snaps so it turns on into green light.
    Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    I'm using a sunrod. It glows for an hour, but shines like a torch.

What can we see in the room?
    Finally I can see! But what do I see?
    Spoiler: OoG
    Show
    Someone did have a light!!!
    Last edited by LordOfCain; 2016-10-15 at 08:07 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

With a sigh, Barack walks over and gather's up the mule's lead-rope.

"So much for the careful approach," he grumps as he pulls the mule forward. "Lets just walk through the mysterious white door, now!" The burly dwarf stomps through the door, dragging his mule behind him. Once through, he narrows his eyes against the sudden light, and looks around.

17. - Top - End - #17

Riven strikes the sunrod against the wall, and it ignites with a hiss and a flash. You're standing in what appears to be the southern end of 35ft. wide corridor, running north and disappearing beyond the edge of Riven's light. The sourthern wall is of the same white seamless stone as the previous room, while the rest of the complex, the floor, walls and cieling, is tiled in grey. The ceiling sits merely fifteen feet off the floor, which, coupled with the otherwise spacious dimensions of the room, makes it seem cramped, yet dwarfing you in scale at the same time.

More interesting is the two doors on the opposing wall. One sits five feet north of the southern wall, while another is thirty feet north. This door is made from a single piece of stone, with an iron ring for a handle, just like the other one, but it has an intricately carved doorframe, with beautiful runes arranged in pleasant, flowing patterns.

Behind you sits the same white pane you passed through, with the steel door partially poking through.

Spoiler: Barack
    Show
    You can see further, and can tell that the western wall of this room falls away some 80ft. to the north of you. The corridor is probably an inverse L shape. You see no more doors in the corridor than the two mentioned above.

Spoiler: Listen DC 18
    Show
    There's multiple creatures north of you. You can tell by the sound of their breathing.
    Show
    They're beyond the edge of your darkvision.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sunrods give 30ft. of light, and 60ft. of shadowy light.
    Last edited by Burnscar; 2016-10-16 at 05:50 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Riven strikes the sunrod against the wall, and it ignites with a hiss and a flash. You're standing in what appears to be the southern end of 35ft. wide corridor, running north and disappearing beyond the edge of Riven's light. The sourthern wall is of the same white seamless stone as the previous room, while the rest of the complex, the floor, walls and cieling, is tiled in grey. The ceiling sits merely fifteen feet off the floor, which, coupled with the otherwise spacious dimensions of the room, makes it seem cramped, yet dwarfing you in scale at the same time.

More interesting is the two doors on the opposing wall. One sits five feet north of the southern wall, while another is thirty feet north. This door is made from a single piece of stone, with an iron ring for a handle, just like the other one, but it has an intricately carved doorframe, with beautiful runes arranged in pleasant, flowing patterns.

Behind you sits the same white pane you passed through, with the steel door partially poking through.

Show
    You can see further, and can tell that the western wall of this room falls away some 80ft. to the north of you. The corridor is probably an inverse L shape. You see no more doors in the corridor than the two mentioned above.

Spoiler: Listen DC 18
    Show
    There's multiple creatures north of you. You can tell by the sound of their breathing.
    Show
    They're beyond the edge of your darkvision.

Show
    Sunrods give 30ft. of light, and 60ft. of shadowy light.
    Listen Check: [roll0] Well, I can't hear anything.
    One of these days my ears will work.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Barack takes in the sight of the wide hallway and the doors, then turns on Xavier.

"Lad, I agreed to come here as it met my needs, and I saw your excitement on being here. Keep it in control, though. I don't want us being killed on account of your excitement." He turns and walks to the wall, leaving Betsy standing to one side of the strange white door. Pacing back, he attempts to stick his head back through the white door to call to his companion.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulOak View Post
    Barack takes in the sight of the wide hallway and the doors, then turns on Xavier.

"Lad, I agreed to come here as it met my needs, and I saw your excitement on being here. Keep it in control, though. I don't want us being killed on account of your excitement." He turns and walks to the wall, leaving Betsy standing to one side of the strange white door. Pacing back, he attempts to stick his head back through the white door to call to his companion.
    "Sorry, I wasn't really thinking. So many possibilities you know. And I don't think anyone can hear you through there and I know you can't pass back through."

21. - Top - End - #21

Barack's head impacts jarringly on the white pane - it is entirely unbudging. He can't put anything through it from this side. A pull on the mule's lead brings it through, however.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Barack shakes his head, the heavy helmet ringing softly from the impact with the barrier.

"Blast and damn, that hurt! Where is that old man, I told him to put his pack on Betsy here!"

Barack turns a wary eye to the hallway and the doors. "Riven, why don't you do your trick and make sure these doors are safe to open, so we can move forward. Back certainly doesn't seem to be an option! Meanwhile, I'll take a look down and around the corner, make sure there isn't anything lurking."

Barack moves off towards the North, staying near the western wall (away from the doors). He is not particularly quiet in his full plate armor.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulOak View Post
    Barack shakes his head, the heavy helmet ringing softly from the impact with the barrier.

"Blast and damn, that hurt! Where is that old man, I told him to put his pack on Betsy here!"

Barack turns a wary eye to the hallway and the doors. "Riven, why don't you do your trick and make sure these doors are safe to open, so we can move forward. Back certainly doesn't seem to be an option! Meanwhile, I'll take a look down and around the corner, make sure there isn't anything lurking."

Barack moves off towards the North, staying near the western wall (away from the doors). He is not particularly quiet in his full plate armor.
    Xavier chuckles quietly before following Riven if she moves any.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Maximov

Maximov moves to the middle of the room, staying behind the trap-springer. "Well, this is odd. I think we're stuck here."
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Barack turns and calls softly back as he moves towards the corner. "Maximov, put that enormous bag of yours on Betsy! She can take it, and you'll be less likely to lag behind."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Riven walks slowly towards the hallway. She draws her longsword before taking any step. ''Be ready, this is hostile territory.'' Next she throws the sunrod to the hallway, so she can illuminate before stepping in, in the direction of the doors.
    Spoiler: OoC & Rolls
    Show
    Riven throws the sunrod up to 15 ft with an increment of 5 ft. though she does not need the full range, so she'll just throw it the closes she can within the doors. It illuminates as Burnscar spoiled before, at 30 ft., and 60 shadowy after.

Throw roll (1d20)[12]

Spot check afterwards (if allowed).
    (1d20+4)[16]

"**** if I know."

27. - Top - End - #27

Riven walks slowly towards the hallway. She draws her longsword before taking any step. ''Be ready, this is hostile territory.'' Next she throws the sunrod to the hallway, so she can illuminate before stepping in, in the direction of the doors.
    Spoiler: OoC & Rolls
    Show
    Riven throws the sunrod up to 15 ft with an increment of 5 ft. though she does not need the full range, so she'll just throw it the closes she can within the doors. It illuminates as Burnscar spoiled before, at 30 ft., and 60 shadowy after.

Throw roll (d20+2)[9]

Spot check afterwards (if allowed).
    [roll1]
    Xavier is still shortly behind Riven. He will also make a spot check. (d20+2)[9]
    So I can't hear OR see....
    Last edited by LordOfCain; 2016-10-17 at 11:27 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Careful investigation of the hallway reveals a 90 degree bend west after 75 feet. Down the bend, you note doors in similar position as those behind you.

What's more interesting is the trio of orcs resting in the very north-eastern corner of the hallway. Two are lying down, while another is leaning against the wall. They appear quite exhausted, and track you wearily with their eyes.

Show
    The corridor makes for an 'L' shape, rotated 180 degrees. Both "branches" of the L are 75ft. long.

29. - Top - End - #29

Careful investigation of the hallway reveals a 90 degree bend west after 75 feet. Down the bend, you note doors in similar position as those behind you.

What's more interesting is the trio of orcs resting in the very north-eastern corner of the hallway. Two are lying down, while another is leaning against the wall. They appear quite exhausted, and track you wearily with their eyes.

Show
    The corridor makes for an 'L' shape, rotated 180 degrees. Both "branches" of the L are 75ft. long.
    I whisper to Riven: "Potential allies or practice dummies?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Maximov clanks up closer to the entrance to the tunnel the others are in and lights a candle, holding it in one hand while keeping his tower shield between himself and any danger.
    Things published on DM's Guild
    Campaign Logs:
    Baldur's Gate 2 (ongoing)
    Castle Dracula (Castlevania)
    Against the Idol of the Sun (high level hexcrawl)