New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: League Of Legends LXVII: "MY PICK'EMS!"

Why are they called runes if they're so much more like the current Mastery system than the current Rune system?
    • Free for everyone
    • Keystones
    • Changeable in pregame
    • Special effects (mostly) instead of small stat increases

'Rune' is a cooler word, but it seems a little confusing.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #962
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinboom View Post
    This rework removes both runes and masteries and replaces them with a single system. So there won't be a Keystone Mastery, just a Keystone Rune.
    Ok, that makes more sense. So, instead of having 9 Keystone Masteries and you have to pick one and they all sort of fit into 3 categories. It's more like you can just "buy" a Rune (except these runes are free) and put them on your keystone/mastery sheet.

I actually like that, a lot, it even fits the word "stone" better. Especially if they change the Keystones to not be connected to Mastery trees. I want to go straight down the Ferocity tree and still pick Thunderlord's Decree, for example.

The only real potential problem I can think of, is that early and mid-game champions that kind of use their rune stats more efficiently to give them that boost to stomp until items balance everything out. I think there are a couple champions that are balanced around that. I don't know how they're going to combat that, but I'm willing to see what they're going to do.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2017-05-30 at 04:59 PM.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, real question/concern:

Most of my current rune pages are boring min-max garbage that just give me more stats that my champion already wanted (attack speed and AD on a marksman, you don't say?), but there are some rune set-ups that you can currently tweak that have a more distinct impact on the way you play the game. The most obvious ones are scaling vs. flat runes impacting how you play for lanes vs. midgame, or the existence of CDR runes meaning you can branch out your item paths. There's also a few more niche things you can do with stat bonuses, like running attack speed on mages like Annie or Karma in order to have better wave control with purely auto attacks, letting you save spells for lane harass.

Are these kinds of choices still supported with the new system? Are the stat changes going away completely?
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2017-05-30 at 04:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ogre in the Playground

So... essentially from now on you should not buy runes, and you should make sure to spend your IP on champs before the prices increase. Am I understanding it correctly?

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ettin in the Playground

Runes Reforged and Honor Update (youtube)

Been working towards runes reforged (replaces both runes and masteries) for... a very very long while (jan 2016).

I'll soon be able to be a lot more responsive here. :P
    So do you actually appear in this video?

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Bugbear in the Playground

It appears to be only New001.

Other names show up (friends list, game lobby, etc.) but none of them are a name I recognize as being Reinboom.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thracian View Post
    It appears to be only New001.

Other names show up (friends list, game lobby, etc.) but none of them are a name I recognize as being Reinboom.
    Reinboom photobomb 2017. It needs to happen!

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Why are they called runes if they're so much more like the current Mastery system than the current Rune system?
    • Free for everyone
    • Keystones
    • Changeable in pregame
    • Special effects (mostly) instead of small stat increases

'Rune' is a cooler word, but it seems a little confusing.
    Rune is a cooler name. Runes are in the lore. It'd be odd to have Runeterra without Runes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Ok, that makes more sense. So, instead of having 9 Keystone Masteries and you have to pick one and they all sort of fit into 3 categories. It's more like you can just "buy" a Rune (except these runes are free) and put them on your keystone/mastery sheet.

I actually like that, a lot, it even fits the word "stone" better. Especially if they change the Keystones to not be connected to Mastery trees. I want to go straight down the Ferocity tree and still pick Thunderlord's Decree, for example.

The only real potential problem I can think of, is that early and mid-game champions that kind of use their rune stats more efficiently to give them that boost to stomp until items balance everything out. I think there are a couple champions that are balanced around that. I don't know how they're going to combat that, but I'm willing to see what they're going to do.
    That's not quite right, but I won't be able to provide many systemic details until later this week when we actually tell everyone what it's like.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashen Lilies View Post
    Oh, real question/concern:

Most of my current rune pages are boring min-max garbage that just give me more stats that my champion already wanted (attack speed and AD on a marksman, you don't say?), but there are some rune set-ups that you can currently tweak that have a more distinct impact on the way you play the game. The most obvious ones are scaling vs. flat runes impacting how you play for lanes vs. midgame, or the existence of CDR runes meaning you can branch out your item paths. There's also a few more niche things you can do with stat bonuses, like running attack speed on mages like Annie or Karma in order to have better wave control with purely auto attacks, letting you save spells for lane harass.

Are these kinds of choices still supported with the new system? Are the stat changes going away completely?
    There will be stat changes, though the context for them has changed. There's a lot of "necessary to function" types of stats which will merge into champions themselves. These are all the "not really choices" types of stats, really.
    There's also still stats in the system, but those are precisely the type of stats that there are interesting decision making around. Old Runes wasn't completely without merit, as you pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    So... essentially from now on you should not buy runes, and you should make sure to spend your IP on champs before the prices increase. Am I understanding it correctly?
    We never mentioned a champion price increase. Also, we'll have plenty of exact details in the coming while way before any changes hit. We don't want anyone to feel screwed over by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    So do you actually appear in this video?
    Nope. I don't show up on screen very much, and tend to not opt into those types of events.
    I went on stream with scarizard a few months before he left, but that's about it for as far as my appearances.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Troll in the Playground

Nope. I don't show up on screen very much, and tend to not opt into those types of events.
    I went on stream with scarizard a few months before he left, but that's about it for as far as my appearances.
    That stream is no longer available on Twitch, so you're safe!

10. - Top - End - #970
    Titan in the Playground

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I could see the Runes being replaced with something more like sliders, that would be similar in execution, but easier to change on the fly.

Jungle |------------| Lane
    "Red"
    AD |------------| AP
    Raw Stats |------------| Penetration
    Critical Strike |------------| Attack Speed
    "Yellow"
    Armor |------------| MR
    Utility |------------| Durability
    Mana Regen |------------| HP Regen

Et cetera, down the line.
    Last edited by Vogie; 2017-05-31 at 01:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #972

BlueKnightGuy

Rune is a cooler name. Runes are in the lore. It'd be odd to have Runeterra without Runes, etc.
    Grognardic griping: masteries are also part of the lore, and it's really odd to play League of Legends that no longer has the League of Legends.
    DM's Guild Work

5e Homebrew: The Circle of Progress, a druid circle about becoming a transformer - Winner of 5e Subclass Contest 1 - "It's Technical"

13. - Top - End - #973
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ivellius View Post
    Grognardic griping: masteries are also part of the lore, and it's really odd to play League of Legends that no longer has the League of Legends.
    And it sucks to play a Spartan who is really a parasitic space *******.

But I think we've lost these arguments a long time ago.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Legoshrimp View Post
    So I haven't played for a while.
    What are the current default 10 or so rune pages I should set up to work with most characters now?
    Relevant video

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

and it's really odd to play League of Legends that no longer has the League of Legends.
    That one still gets me.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not within the scoped-in from summoners part of the lore, rather.

The old mastery loose justification also wouldn't work with the new system anyways, since there won't be substantial power difference at summoner level 1 anymore within the new system.

17. - Top - End - #977
    Titan in the Playground

My main curiosity with the new system, broadly speaking, is whether there will still be niche things. Not just "should I set up vs. a magic damage vs. physical damage lane" but options for something like "this specific champion matchup is going to be a lot of back and forth spell clearing, so even though I'd normally never do this, I really want bonus mana regen here to stay in lane." Or similar things like that.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2017-06-01 at 01:37 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

7.11 Patch notes are up

I'm really looking forward to the Rek'Sai change, the Kindred changes & Malz changes we were expecting... I've been trying to do Malz mid, and he just drops off midgame and usually can't recover. Hopefully these will help. Also, any Yasuo nerf is a good Yasuo nerf.

In addition, there's friggin' SINGED BUFFS ON THE PBE. This patch could've only been better if it came with a slurpee.

19. - Top - End - #979

I actually really like the Yasuo nerf. It's really quick to build up to tornado once you have an ASpd item and the threat of having it available is really strong. It's similar to the Kennen mark nerf from ages ago.

20. - Top - End - #980

BlueKnightGuy

It's not within the scoped-in from summoners part of the lore, rather.

The old mastery loose justification also wouldn't work with the new system anyways, since there won't be substantial power difference at summoner level 1 anymore within the new system.
    I'm not really sure what you mean here, considering the implementation of runes was tied heavily to summoners. You're limited in rune slots because of the power of the summoner, runes were a concentrated manifestation of that summoner's power used to augment a champion (so were masteries, to be fair), and the whole "rune pages" thing was that those are actual pages in your summoner spellbook. ("Loose" is really an unfair way to describe the old lore; it was quite cohesive unless a person doesn't buy the central conceit, in which case that person just didn't get it.) I guess you mean runic magic is a thing because Ryze exists?

Also, now that we've passed 1000 days since the retcon was announced (that would be yesterday, actually), is it going to actually be completed someday?

You don't have to respond to any of these things; I'm griping at you because you're here and the actual people to blame ignored my posts on the official forum. It's not your fault they ruined the lore.
    DM's Guild Work

5e Homebrew: The Circle of Progress, a druid circle about becoming a transformer - Winner of 5e Subclass Contest 1 - "It's Technical"

21. - Top - End - #981
    Titan in the Playground

It's not your fault they ruined the lore.
    It's especially not Reinboom's fault since I don't think the lore is ruined.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

22. - Top - End - #982
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, all told they sacrificed narrative and gameplay cohesion to instead focus on easier, more generic storytelling and worldbuilding. Which allowed them to make more character driven stories.

Which honestly, I wouldn't have much a problem with, except I think some of the new lore pretty much sucks.

23. - Top - End - #983
    Firbolg in the Playground

You can't deny they literally threw out the in-universe League of Legends and all the lore.

Whether the new partial replacements are themselves in ruins is a matter of opinion.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #984

BlueKnightGuy

Yeah, all told they sacrificed narrative and gameplay cohesion to instead focus on easier, more generic storytelling and worldbuilding. Which allowed them to make more character driven stories.

Which honestly, I wouldn't have much a problem with, except I think some of the new lore pretty much sucks.
    I'm not even sure what I'd consider a "story" that they've put out. "Burning Tides" comes the closest as a narrative for Gangplank, but there's rarely much conflict or resolution in the little bits they put forward. They still don't follow up on things, so almost everything is just a "Chapter 1" to a world that will permanently remain in stasis. Runeterra is far less dynamic than it ever was with the League of Legends--but that was their chief argument for removing it.

I'd be much more okay with the current state of things if they did a good job with it, but they sacrificed all of their lore for something that still has the supposed problem they wanted to fix.
    Last edited by Ivellius; 2017-06-01 at 02:40 PM.
    DM's Guild Work

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ogre in the Playground

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/new...runes-reforged

Okay, Overcharger is my new favorite rune. I overcap on CDR all the time. Like, all the time.

Edit: I also really like it because it makes you feel less bad about buying Ionian boots because they're only 600g and you want that 10% cdr NOW, but you know you'll overcap in your build later (Karma and Riven do this frequently).
    Last edited by Ashen Lilies; 2017-06-01 at 03:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #986
    Titan in the Playground

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/new...runes-reforged

Okay, Overcharger is my new favorite rune. I overcap on CDR all the time. Like, all the time.
    Ahh, so in the end, the new runes are really just Masteries. But with very simplified Mastery pages, that only go 3 rungs deep instead of the current 6.

That's a little disappointing, honestly, but I'm interested to see what new abilities come from it. Really, as long as there remains some way of starting the game with around 10-15 damage (without buying an item) to funnel into throwing spears at people, I'm good.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2017-06-01 at 03:01 PM.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Ahh, so in the end, the new runes are really just Masteries. But with very simplified Mastery pages, that only go 3 rungs deep instead of the current 6.

That's a little disappointing, honestly, but I'm interested to see what new abilities come from it. Really, as long as there remains some way of starting the game with around 10-15 damage (without buying an item) to funnel into throwing spears at people, I'm good.
    I like them because instead of being straight up strong or weak, they're all Niche. I also like the "takedowns" as an metric rather than "kills", so supports and non-bursters don't get the shaft

28. - Top - End - #988
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    I like them because instead of being straight up strong or weak, they're all Niche. I also like the "takedowns" as an metric rather than "kills", so supports and non-bursters don't get the shaft
    Bit early to say that, isn't it? We don't even have the list of abilities yet. Money's on when they're released within a month everyone will realize that there are clearly options that are just better for what they're trying to do for a good chunk of the champions and some that pretty much no one takes.

Because that always happens when they make grand sweeping balance changes. Stuff falls through the cracks, that's ok. It is pretty much inevitable.

Because the whole customizable options to fit a niche was already tried once. And I remember when basically everyone and their uncle picked Thunderlord's because it just did damage better.

I however totally agree on replacing kills with takedowns. It's just more fair, and offers the benefit of not having the team scramble over each other.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not even sure what I'd consider a "story" that they've put out. "Burning Tides" comes the closest as a narrative for Gangplank, but there's rarely much conflict or resolution in the little bits they put forward. They still don't follow up on things, so almost everything is just a "Chapter 1" to a world that will permanently remain in stasis. Runeterra is far less dynamic than it ever was with the League of Legends--but that was their chief argument for removing it.

I'd be much more okay with the current state of things if they did a good job with it, but they sacrificed all of their lore for something that still has the supposed problem they wanted to fix.
    The last part I've said something similar to, a number of times. Their announced chief argument for why the old lore had to die falls flat when it's been, 1000 days I suppose, and it has almost nothing to it. Characters seem almost entirely unaffected by anything, with most pointing to GP and Burning Tides as an example of where Riot did it right, but honestly BMB was the only thing I liked about that whole event, and that was what, 2 years ago now? We've never seen anything related to it since then I don't think, no progressed storyline since then, no characters adjustments. It just all falls flat.
    DnD Me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Evil Human Sorcerer/Rogue (1st/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-12
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-15
    Wisdom-11
    Charisma-13

30. - Top - End - #990
    Ogre in the Playground

We never mentioned a champion price increase. Also, we'll have plenty of exact details in the coming while way before any changes hit. We don't want anyone to feel screwed over by this.
    Huh. You're right. My fault. I took the mention of reworking the rewards to mean that it'd end up being even harder to get champs in the future, now that you're no longer buying runes with IP. But that'd probably just affect future IP rewards, rather than the actual price of champs, if my suspicions of champs being harder to get even pans out as a thing.