New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1498
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Questionable Content 10: La Li Lu Le Lo

I'm interested to know why there are suddenly a lot more AIs around. I know that's been the focus of Faye and Bubbles' recent story, but until now there has almost never been one walking around unless it's a named character. Today there's at least 3 - possibly 4, depending on redhead girl in panel 1 - in 4 panels, wandering around when usually they're only there in specific roles, like Momo, Jeremy and Seven.

It's not even a sudden rush of people wanting to use Union Robotics' services, since they've only been open a half hour and these AI's are walking in different direction. Don't get me wrong, I'm not robophobic or anything, but it's a distinct shift and I'd be interested to hear someone in-comic make a comment on it.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Over here (Germany) those look like standard hours for pharmacies (except they're likely completely closed on Sundays), but there's an emergency service during those hours, where one of several pharmacies in the area has a night-counter open for those nightly emergencies, and they alternate which pharmacy is it for that day.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    On the other hand, if your cub is running 40C and your tiny baby-sized* acetaminophen bottle turns out to not have enough for one full dose and it's 3 AM, you are damn glad that there are 24h pharmacies around.

Speaking from experience, anyway.

Edit: what I noticed is that the red-haired lady walking in the opposite direction seems to have grown her hair by about 10 cm between the second and third panels.

GW

* The stupid thing practically weighs the same thing when full and when empty, too, so it's hard to tell it's about to run dry, even when not otherwise preoccupied.
    Maybe its different where I am, but a pharmacy is generally not the place I would think to go for a medical emergency. We have separate facilities for that, and while they sometimes overlap, pharmacists are not consistently equipped to respond to a medical situation.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Maybe its different where I am, but a pharmacy is generally not the place I would think to go for a medical emergency. We have separate facilities for that, and while they sometimes overlap, pharmacists are not consistently equipped to respond to a medical situation.
    It wasn't a medical emergency. That's 41+C. This is "the baby is miserable because they are suffering". You don't take them to ER because of that, you get them some "over-the-counter" medicine to remove inflammation and fever, which allows them to sleep, which helps them heal.

Also, pharmacists are absolutely equipped to deal with this kind of situation.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Colossus in the Playground

In my neck of the woods those are normal hours, but there is pretty much always a pharmacy open 24/7 near each hospital. So if you need some meds in a hurry you can go there at 3 am.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Firbolg in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I'm interested to know why there are suddenly a lot more AIs around. I know that's been the focus of Faye and Bubbles' recent story, but until now there has almost never been one walking around unless it's a named character. Today there's at least 3 - possibly 4, depending on redhead girl in panel 1 - in 4 panels, wandering around when usually they're only there in specific roles, like Momo, Jeremy and Seven.

It's not even a sudden rush of people wanting to use Union Robotics' services, since they've only been open a half hour and these AI's are walking in different direction. Don't get me wrong, I'm not robophobic or anything, but it's a distinct shift and I'd be interested to hear someone in-comic make a comment on it.
    Panel 3 is Melon and her friend from last week. So just two unnamed AIs.
    Spoiler: I've checked out the spoiler thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    Show
    I've checked out the comic thoroughly and there's no actual erotic Harry Potter fanfiction
    I can't find the one with the "cartoon butt," though.
    OK, finally tracked the Naked Superheroes guy down
    What do you see as being objectionable about it? The use of the word "bimbos"?
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    There are no nipples or genitals
    Looks like a nipple when I look close.
    Then don't look close.

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Halfling in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Hey, Brun, did you hear about the dinosaur stampede they had at CERN? Yeah, some sort of freak leakage from the Large Hadrosaur Collider...

Sorry ;), I couldn't resist

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    Over here (Germany) those look like standard hours for pharmacies (except they're likely completely closed on Sundays), but there's an emergency service during those hours, where one of several pharmacies in the area has a night-counter open for those nightly emergencies, and they alternate which pharmacy is it for that day.
    Yeah, my thoughts as well. But then, the US do a lot different from us.

So... Does that make Brun joke speciest? It's not like hers was really funnier..

I don't mind seeing Brun again but I hope we don't get love triangle issues...
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

She's been doing dog-jokes for a while now, guess she's still stuck on those.

And to yesterday's comic: It's entirely reasonable for him to assume "You set this up!" given Claire's track record...

As for opening times: Those may seem like it's closed for a long time, but that's at night, which is the traditional time for people to do other things. Mainly sleep. Not shop. So while it's convenient for customers to be able to shop 24/7, it really doesn't cut into the shops profit margin a whole lot. About 15 years ago, shops here had to close at 18:30, and when that law was changed, immediately some bigger shops opened longer. Till 22:00 or even midnight, but often they went back on that after a few months (not to 18:30 but maybe 20 or 21), because they found out "We're not actually making more money per day, the daily profit is just spread out more, but we now have to pay more for our employees"
    Last edited by Morquard; 2017-05-31 at 03:21 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Titan in the Playground

Welp. Just as I was considering following the comic again, it goes back to the two most bland and boring characters in its run, i.e. brun and clinton. Ok, no bookmark for you.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Troll in the Playground

Clinton, this is Brun; don't assume she understands subtle social nuances.

(Clinton's got his glasses back on. He was without them for so long I thought he'd gotten contacts.)

12. - Top - End - #1242

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post

(Clinton's got his glasses back on. He was without them for so long I thought he'd gotten contacts.)
    Agreed, put on your big boy pants and try this. /sigh "Sorry Brun, I was trying to ask you out for a date if you were interested."

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    I think this is why I don't like Brun or Emily. They're so unsocialized that it's impossible to tell a compelling story with them. Any conversation with Emily only lasts until something shiny catches her attention, and any witty repartee with Brun utterly falls flat.

It makes it really hard to empathize with either character, because they're at such right angles to normal human interaction.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I think this is why I don't like Brun or Emily. They're so unsocialized that it's impossible to tell a compelling story with them. Any conversation with Emily only lasts until something shiny catches her attention, and any witty repartee with Brun utterly falls flat.

It makes it really hard to empathize with either character, because they're at such right angles to normal human interaction.
    I like Brun. A lot. Possibly because I'm currently in the process of being diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, so seeing a character who shows signs of something similar who is nuanced and interesting rather than a caricature is actually really nice.

I have no real opinion on Emily, but complaining that they're bad characters or hard to empathize with because they don't interact in the same way as most people is honestly a little hurtful.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    nuanced and interesting
    I think these are pretty much the antithesis of everything Brun is as a character. I find her tremendously flat and boring, not because of her obvious social inhibitions but mostly because she's just not fun or interesting to read. Faye wasn't exactly the most socially adjusted person back during what I've arbitrarily decided was the comic's heyday (approximately 350 - 1350) but it was still fun to read her repartee with Martin and Dora. Brun just... doesn't have that. Neither does Clinton, really. His scenes with Brun are like watching somebody lazily bounce a rubber ball off a wall.

They're not bad characters because their behaviour is out of the norm. They're bad characters because they're boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    I think these are pretty much the antithesis of everything Brun is as a character. I find her tremendously flat and boring, not because of her obvious social inhibitions but mostly because she's just not fun or interesting to read. Faye wasn't exactly the most socially adjusted person back during what I've arbitrarily decided was the comic's heyday (approximately 350 - 1350) but it was still fun to read her repartee with Martin and Dora. Brun just... doesn't have that. Neither does Clinton, really. His scenes with Brun are like watching somebody lazily bounce a rubber ball off a wall.

They're not bad characters because their behaviour is out of the norm. They're bad characters because they're boring.
    It might just be an experience thing. A lot of Brun's issues are ones that I have myself experienced and so she's nuanced and interesting to me because they're things that I have myself run into.

Y'can understand why having people complain about her being used as a character as being boring and dead weight is kind of hurtful, though?
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

17. - Top - End - #1247

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow of the Sun View Post
    Y'can understand why having people complain about her being used as a character as being boring and dead weight is kind of hurtful, though?
    Not really. If the rationale behind it is 'she's weird and has mental issues, I don't like it', sure, because that would imply a character with mental or social issues is inherently not worth reading, but I don't think anybody has provided that as the crux of their dislike of her. The main issue people have with her, myself included, seems to boil down to simply finding her boring and not particularly compelling.
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Dwarf in the Playground

You don't like it when a slice of life comic does true to life strips.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't really want to get to deep into this because I forgot to pack my 10-foot pole, but you do understand that your responses make it sound like Brun's neurodivergence is why you find her uninteresting, right?

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Apparently I stepped on a landmine with my post. I duly apologize.

I guess I'll chalk it up to experience then. I like Marigold a lot because I see a lot of her in me when it comes to being a painfully shy loner. I don't have the same insight into Brun, which makes following her thought processes and motivations really hard. And that impacts my enjoyment of the comic strip. I'm certainly not trying to attack who she is as a person.

21. - Top - End - #1251

Quote Originally Posted by John Cribati View Post
    I don't really want to get to deep into this because I forgot to pack my 10-foot pole, but you do understand that your responses make it sound like Brun's neurodivergence is why you find her uninteresting, right?
    No, I'm not really seeing how 'I find her boring' is being construed as 'she's a bad character because she's neurodivergent'. I've never even mentioned her thought processes or anything regarding her mental state when criticising her; I've just said I don't find her interesting to read. Obviously, people are welcome to disagree, my personal perspective isn't the only valid one or anything, but people aren't welcome to extrapolate from 'I don't find her interesting' to 'Comrade hates neurodivergent people!'.

22. - Top - End - #1252

Hey, I like bacon burgers!
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, Brun, it is possible that you only know people are interested in you when they tell you they are. It is good you consider this. And that both Clinton and Elliot may just have not told you yet.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    On the other hand, if your cub is running 40C and your tiny baby-sized* acetaminophen bottle turns out to not have enough for one full dose and it's 3 AM, you are damn glad that there are 24h pharmacies around.

Speaking from experience, anyway.

Edit: what I noticed is that the red-haired lady walking in the opposite direction seems to have grown her hair by about 10 cm between the second and third panels.

GW

* The stupid thing practically weighs the same thing when full and when empty, too, so it's hard to tell it's about to run dry, even when not otherwise preoccupied.
    If you just need acetaminophen or aspirin or the like, it's available OTC here, so you don't even need to go to a pharmacy; just about any grocery store will have it. And lots of groceries are open 24 hours a day.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Troll in the Playground

I'm rather liking her. That hair must be a nightmare to maintain, though. Who is that on her left arm?

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I swear, these are the kind of hairstyles that they are going to look back on in 20 years and say "Oh god, what was I thinking?"

It's the modern equivalent of a mullet or the Farrah Fawcett. People will see this in 20 years time and say "Wow, did people really wear their hair like that in the 2010s?"
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2017-06-07 at 04:49 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Titan in the Playground

While I agree her hair is quite... Special, I like it. But yeah, it probably takes an hour every morning.
    But as someone with tattoos himself, with her it seems too much to me. Especially the broken heart. How much more clichee can you get?

That said... I understand Clinton. Not sure how universal the feeling is but I can very much emphasize.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    I swear, these are the kind of hairstyles that they are going to look back on in 20 years and say "Oh god, what was I thinking?"

It's the modern equivalent of a mullet or the Farrah Fawcett. People will see this in 20 years time and say "Wow, did people really wear their hair like that in the 2010s?"
    Probably. Fashion tends to look dumb after it changed though - the beehive was respected in its time and now looks ludicrous, tights, codpieces, and ruffled collars were a think in men's wear for a while that looks completely absurd to modern eyes, dresses with elaborate metal frameworks were around for a while and look absurd to modern eyes, so on and so forth. It's the fairly minimalist stuff that tends to hold up best, and even then there's exceptions (tonsures are pretty easy and practical, but they're not exactly stylish).
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Titan in the Playground

The peak of easy-practical-and-no-longer-remotely-fashionable would, I think, be the Ancient Greek chiton. On the one hand, really simple: it''s a tube, partially stitched up along one end. One-size-fits-all to within a reasonable estimation of your height, extremely simple to make, no wasted fabric in off-cuts, just pull it over your head and tie it in at the waist with a belt or something.

On the other hand... no.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #1260

Thats why im happy with my look which ive kept since I was 8. Buzzcut, jeans, and a tshirt. That never seems to go out of style. My mom and dad wore those when they were kids and they look fundamentally the same 50 years later and probably will still look the same 50 years from today. No grandkids will look at my pictures as a lad and laugh at the crazy hairstyle, odd outfits, or strange color patterns their grandpa had back in the day.