New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Why is O'Chul ....[spoilers]

...still alive?

Miko should have been higher HP than O'Chul given that she was 'strongest paladin in the Saphire Guard' --she didnt lose that when she went grey.

O'Chul was point blank just as Miko was when the gate detonated.
    O'Chul was paralyzed so could not avoid or apply evasion damage.
    O'Chul plummeted from the top of the tower and was THROWN all the way outside the city. He presumably took at least as much damage as Roy did from falling--and I guarntee that the Meteor Swarm/Finger of Death that Roy Soaked was less overall damage than being blasted point blank from the gate exploding.

SO: Why is O'Chul still alive? (other than a character shield)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Why is O'Chul ....[spoilers]

Well, for one thing, he was not bisected by a throne. For all we know the direct explosion did zero damage being entirely magical in nature.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nah. it clearly did physical damage (Ie shattering the tower, knocking over several other towers, lighting the city on fire)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I think the only reason Miko was killed in the blast is because the throne itself cut her in two. Since O'Chul got blown toward the plain like he did, I expected Miko to get blown out into the sea, or possibly landing on Hinjos junk. She still lingered enough to talk to Soon, so the blast didn't kill her outright.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Who said he is still alive? Most probably paralysis spell is still working, so the difference is not that visible.

If he is alive, then it would be due to his higher level (and thus HP). Besides Miko was still concious, when she was cut in half, so she was not more then 10 HP below 0 (or something like that was in D&D - correct me if i'm wrong). This means that there was not much more needed, to survive the explosion.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Well it's one quite popular theory: (I supprot that theory):

He is not alive.

Everything in castle was destroyed, but explosion didn't shattered bodies too much ( As you said Miko was probably cut by throne, not ripped by explosion force).

Lich touch is permanent, although it is not clear if victim is still stiff after death. Assuming that yes, it is, O- Chul is now numb corpse, which can travel great distances trough air and easily hold scone in numb fingers.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

But that would assume the paralysis also prevents his eyes turning to Xs to indicate he's dead, and there doesn't seem to be any conclusive evidence one way or the other about that.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Maybe the DM (Rich) is allowing the paralysis spell to act as armor and protecting him from harm as it keeps him stiff as a board (or even stiffer, since the throne was presumably made of boards)! Granted, I don't really buy it either but I've seen some pretty weird Dming decisions in my time.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheRiov View Post
    Nah. it clearly did physical damage (Ie shattering the tower, knocking over several other towers, lighting the city on fire)
    I don't recall people having a break DC.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Here we can see that the palace is about twice as high as the wall... and a typical Metropolis wall is about 40 feet high... If we would assume the sapphire lies at 100 feet high then O'Chul would have sustained 10d6 falling damage (there aren't many rules about being tossed away)

I think the Gate-explosion was a bit like Saurons death, a blast which destroyes most buildings within its radius, but only knocks down (or slings away) bystanders. In that case we could say O'Chul took say... 20d6 damage, which he could have survived...

EDIT: if Miko would have been killed by the explosion, her head would be lying off... the sapphire was closer to her head when she sundered it
    Last edited by Hranat; 2007-07-11 at 07:57 AM.
    And then my heart with pleasure fills,
    and dances with the daffodils...

William Wordsworth

If the power of love overcomes the love for power, peace will no longer be a dream.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think the reason he's still alive is because it's more fun this way
    There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

...still alive?
    Man, this question is just going to come up every time we see O-Chul from now on, isn't it? It's really not that complicated or impossible by the D&D rules*.

He probably has a significantly higher Constitution than Miko. He might have an Amulet of Health and put all of his stat boosts into Con, whereas Miko didn't. Even being a few levels lower, he would end up with many more hit points.

Or, he made his saving throw and Miko didn't. Contrary to popular belief, yes, you still get a Reflex save when you're paralyzed, you just have an effective Dexterity of 0 (for a -5 Dex penalty). If an inanimate object gets a Reflex save, so does a paralyzed person. But O-Chul has Divine Grace and Miko doesn't. Also, as the one who triggered the explosion, Miko may have been specifically disallowed a saving throw. Or she may have just rolled a 1 on her save.

Or. most likely, both. He has a higher Con, so even though he was flung further, he rolled high on his Reflex save and squeaked by, taking only, say, 119 points of damage out of his (say) 120 hp.

* Real world physics and "What I would rule if I was DM" don't matter at all here.
    Last edited by SPoD; 2007-07-11 at 08:10 AM.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

The blast did 10d100 damage.

Miko rolled lots of 50s and is dead, O'Chul ten threes and is alive. The fall did some more 10d20, again ten threes. There you have your explanation. It is as good as any other explanation.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

There can be lots of explanations.

O'Chul has rings of feather falling and fire resistance, and the explosion counts as fire damage.

O'Chul also has a multiclass or prestige class of some sort that protected him.

O'Chul is dead.

O'Chul had clerics cast lots of spells on him before the battle that saved him. Miko had no protective spells on her and did not have divine grace.
    Here is a numbering of all character appearances in OOTS

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, please, not *again*... how many times has this been discussed here?

Just in case you really have not found any of the old threads:
    We don't know yet if O'Chul is dead or alive and lots of people have come up with lots of arguments in favor of both of these two possibilities.

The funny thing here is:
    It doesn't really matter anymore whether he is dead or alive as long as Haley and Belkar just drag him along... they can find out later and cast the appropriate spells in either case.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

The DM accidentially rolled all ones on O'Chul's explosion rolls while Miko rolled the maximum possible damage.
    + forever!

Spoiler
    Show

Avvie by Ichneumon, siggy by Hive Mind

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

(I stated my first in a dungeon)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

A wizard did that. Which, incidentally, partially accounts for the disappearance of
    Official Tea-Party Member of the Fan Club

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Because he's played by the DM's girlfriend.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

As already mentioned, a Lich's paralyzing touch is permanent. When he died, he wouldn't have even been able to close his eyes or change the formation of his grip. So his eyes didn't close even though he's dead (or rather, in Rich's terms, they didn't change to X's), and his grip on his sword didn't change, so he could hold the scone just fine.
    Yup.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Blood View Post
    As already mentioned, a Lich's paralyzing touch is permanent. When he died, he wouldn't have even been able to close his eyes or change the formation of his grip. So his eyes didn't close even though he's dead (or rather, in Rich's terms, they didn't change to X's), and his grip on his sword didn't change, so he could hold the scone just fine.
    SoD spoiler:

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD shows Xykon killing people with his paralyzing touch, giving them x's for eyes. Ugly's alive!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Just as a note. The explosion didn't set the city on fire, the city was on fire when Miko escaped from jail, which was before the gate exploded, so it's pretty safe to assume the hobbos did that.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

He alive because he is not O-chul, the real O-chul was send to the future, falling in Xykon when he was about to free the Snarl. this O-chul is just a doll that they make in the future (to honor the world hero) that was send into the past and fell near
    Its so simple

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Nimby solved it once and for all.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

So O'Chuls first name is Jack eh?
    Exploding nuns, just what everyone needs...
    Never were truer words spoken ThorFluff

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Miko didnt died because of the explosions, she died because she was cut in two half by the throne. O-chul simply didnt hit anything other then maybe some little rock, thats all. Beside falling damage is ridiculous in D&D, he can totally survive that and, since hes paralyzed, his body cant move no matter what so being tossed away shoudnt do much damage to him in the first place. Or he could be dead, but its still totally possible he survived no matter if we go by D&D rules or real world physics.
    In memory of lord Shojo

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nimby View Post
    SoD spoiler:

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD shows Xykon killing people with his paralyzing touch, giving them x's for eyes. Ugly's alive!
    Awsome point, and one that I hadn't thought about!

That, as they say, settles that.

On a more general note:

Miko got bisected, O-Chul didn't.
    Miko failed her save, O-Chul made his (Nat 20 FTW!!!).
    O-Chul had the Power of the Plot to save him while Miko had a different function in the plot.

And, yes, according to the rules of DnD, it is quite easy for O-Chul to (barely) have survived. Really. No honest. DnD is just funny that way.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2007-07-11 at 11:43 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

1. O-Chull can, by the laws of plot and D&D physics, still be alive.

2. Miko had to die by the laws of plot physics.

3.DM has final say over the dice. (Give your thanks to the giant)

P.s. I WIN !!!!!
    Credit to Mr_Saturn for the fantastic avatar.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

O-Chul wears a Ring of Feather Falling and used Lay on Hands as a readied action to offset the damage when the throne room blew.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    Or, he made his saving throw and Miko didn't. Contrary to popular belief, yes, you still get a Reflex save when you're paralyzed, you just have an effective Dexterity of 0 (for a -5 Dex penalty). If an inanimate object gets a Reflex save, so does a paralyzed person. But O-Chul has Divine Grace and Miko doesn't. Also, as the one who triggered the explosion, Miko may have been specifically disallowed a saving throw. Or she may have just rolled a 1 on her save.
    For the record, an inanimate (and nonmagical) object only gets a Reflex save if it's attended.

Anyway, even if she made the save (and Evasion-ed it to no damage), she ended up inside the city. In order for the explosion to push O-Chul all the way to the MitD and yet allow Miko to land inside the city walls, she would have to have been blown upwards, and then come down. I'm pretty confident that hits the cap on falling damage distance, so that's 20d6 falling damage for her, plus at least another 20d6 for the throne falling on her. And 40d6 is a lot of damage.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Blood View Post
    I'm pretty sure that a person's eyes stay open when they die, unless the mortician closes them.
    [/delusional ravings]