New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121

Default Re: How to stop PCs from exploiting dragon corpses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Yep. Played with Bob in another game, with alignment, and a stated stricture against evil alignments. Happened several times, with several different Bobs. If there's no stated moral or ethical code for them, they go hog wild. If there is one, they tend to stick within bounds.
    Huh. I find that bizarre. But hey, whatever works for you, I guess.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

My experience is frequently the opposite. Games without alignment often devolve into "do whatever you like", with characters who have moral strictures stuck bashing against characters who do not, yet they can't be free of them because they're played by another "real world" person. Bob wanted to play an insane cyborg, so we're stuck dealing with an insane cyborg, even if we're all city rat hackers.
    That's not a problem of not having alignment.

That's a problem of player(s) who aren't willing to work with the GM and the rest of the players on the concept of their character.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    That's not a problem of not having alignment.

That's a problem of player(s) who aren't willing to work with the GM and the rest of the players on the concept of their character.
    That is solved by having ground rules in the form of alignment.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

I've found that the sort of players in question will find ways to be who they are, regardless of any ground rules, and that the problem is solved by not involving those players in the game to start with.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Or spending a few minutes during Session 0 establishing expectations.

Things like where Apocalypse World says "During the first session, your characters know one another and are generally on the same side. You don't have to like one another, but you're basically allies. This can change over time."

I've never had a PvP problem in Apocalypse World because of this paragraph that I read at the start of every campaign. And it's not a codified ruleset. Just an expectation.

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeBear View Post
    Or spending a few minutes during Session 0 establishing expectations.

Things like where Apocalypse World says "During the first session, your characters know one another and are generally on the same side. You don't have to like one another, but you're basically allies. This can change over time."

I've never had a PvP problem in Apocalypse World because of this paragraph that I read at the start of every campaign. And it's not a codified ruleset. Just an expectation.
    And yet, I've found, repeatedly, that removing the mechanical expectation of morality leads to some folks inevitably becoming indiscriminate murderhobos... people who won't become indiscriminate murderhobos if they have an annotation on their sheet saying "You're a good guy."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

And yet, I've found, repeatedly, that removing the mechanical expectation of morality leads to some folks inevitably becoming indiscriminate murderhobos... people who won't become indiscriminate murderhobos if they have an annotation on their sheet saying "You're a good guy."
    Granted, Apocalypse World handles that by making it very hard to be a Murderhobo. There's on way to be really good at murder, but if you piss off the wrong gang you're still gonna be dead. (Players have 6 slots of health, and with a Large gang fighting a single individual with 2 armor, they'll ne taking 3 Harm every time the MC deals harm. And when rolling the Harm move, they now have a much higher chance of getting into "Take additional harm" categories. So the price of the murderhobo lifestyle is very high. Not to mention your fellow players hold a lot of sway over you, as does the GM.

Stars Without Number has no alignment involved whatsoever, and while my one long campaign of it involved some folks being smugglers, they weren't particularly cruel or evil about it. Again because combat is high-risk even for the powerful.

Then again, alignment in my experience does as much to stop people who like being murderhobos from doing their thing as the "don't walk on the grass" signs on my college campus are at keeping people off the grass. Namely, pretty ineffective.

I don't know what kind of unique mental situation your players have where they think "Oh hey, it would be a really good idea to murder the bartend- oh wait, theres an NG in my alignment box. I am now cured of my desire for random violence." But it is certainly unique.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

*ahem*

Sooooo....about this dragon corpse.....
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    *ahem*

I gave my 2 cents about it on page 1, and at this point the thread is going in circles of agreeance that the best response is either to require specific skillsets to make use of the thing, make the thing explode, or make dragonscale armor not particularly much better than any other leather made from reptile hide.

And we keep repeating these options over and over with the occassional alternative sprinkled in.

The topic has been about as badly beaten to death as the dragon in question. :P

10. - Top - End - #130
    Colossus in the Playground

*ahem*

Oh, right, let me get out the black onyx...

11. - Top - End - #131
    Firbolg in the Playground

There is another option: if they are acting on behalf of a town, they might propose the dragon to surrender peacefully to be tried by the town council. Diplomacy check, anyone? And then a bunch more checks to see how the trial goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

12. - Top - End - #132
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

-Hi, I am Bob the Prismatic Great Wyrm. I am here to collect the corpse of this fellow dragon for doing a proper funeral. If you do not like the idea, please remember I have more than 2000hp, 100 of AC, and I am 30 level Sorceror. Any question?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by etrpgb View Post
    -Hi, I am Bob the Prismatic Great Wyrm. I am here to collect the corpse of this fellow dragon for doing a proper funeral. If you do not like the idea, please remember I have more than 2000hp, 100 of AC, and I am 30 level Sorceror. Any question?
    I really hope this is satire.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Because of the thread topic, I thought that this was obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya7mwQYeICQ

That said, the way I would spin this is to use the randomosity (totally a word) of your party as a gateway to adventure. Yeah sure, you've got the carcass of a dragon, but now what do you do?

The process of turning dragon parts into useful items can itself be an adventure. What sort of person can turn dragon scales into armor? Well maybe anyone, but what if the way to get the most mileage out of your dragon scales is to commission a particular hill dwarf that lives in the underdark who doesn't really like visitors, but he needs a few favors done.

Maybe other factions are after items made from dragon parts, so possessing dragon parts makes the party a target... maybe the other faction is dragons and they're mad about the party killing dragons and flagrantly wearing their body parts.

If you're really dead-set on stopping the party from exploiting dragon corpses, make harvesting dragon parts hazardous. It's not a huge jump to think that a dragon that breathes fire also spurts boiling hot blood onto anyone that tries to skin him. It's also not a big jump to apply this to dragon's that breathe poison, ice, etc. Failing that, maybe hyarvesting dragon parts without a license is a criminal activity. The Dragon-Tanner's Guild has a royal endorsement, so if you want to harvest dragon parts, you have to pay a fee to get a "professional" to get the pieces. This fee will get you dragon armor, but you don't actually come out ahead by much from doing it.

I'd really say to shy away from telling the party "No, you can't do that." I've made this mistake of doing that too often to not advise caution. Best case scenario, my party would try to find more inventive ways to harvest dragon parts, and worst case scenario I get a huge out of character argument that sucks up as much game time as it would have to just let the party skin the dragon.
    Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons my friend. For you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

The way to a dwarf's heart is through his liver.

15. - Top - End - #135

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    I really hope this is satire.
    Satire of what?

This thread already done its argument, but for the sake of my opinion I would simply say: let them do.
    Last edited by etrpgb; 2016-11-06 at 03:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Satire of what?
    Bad GMing behaviors? Using something as blatantly overpowered as a Great Wyrm Prismatic Dragon to push the PC's down a certain path is the definition of railroading.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

17. - Top - End - #137

And thus did the menacing "My name is Sue/How do you do?" turn into "My name is Bob/I run the mob!"
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

18. - Top - End - #138

BarbarianGuy

Bad GMing behaviors?
    Well, then sure. That's was the point; after all the thread topic is about that.

19. - Top - End - #139

Bad GMing behaviors? Using something as blatantly overpowered as a Great Wyrm Prismatic Dragon to push the PC's down a certain path is the definition of railroading.
    On the other hand, consider that dragons may well have a priest class that do funerals for dead dragons, and Bob the Dragon showing up to request the corpse for proper disposal is pretty reasonable.
    The Cranky Gamer

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

On the other hand, consider that dragons may well have a priest class that do funerals for dead dragons, and Bob the Dragon showing up to request the corpse for proper disposal is pretty reasonable.
    Sure, but Bob the Dragon being literally the strongest monster in the entire game and showing up moments after the dragon's death isn't reasonable, it's railroading.

Extended signature!

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, but Bob the Dragon being literally the strongest monster in the entire game and showing up moments after the dragon's death isn't reasonable, it's railroading.
    Unless you consider the fact that Bob the Dragon is a dragon diety, who can, quite literally, be in multiple places at once, and shows up like this EVERY time a dragon dies. Then it's World Lore.

Besides, Railroading is when you force the players to take specific actions. When you deny them a dragon corpse, just because, it's not railroading, it's just being an a-hole.
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2016-11-08 at 05:26 AM.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

22. - Top - End - #142

This can be legitimate if you give some info about it before Bob The Dragon God Of Funeral Parlours shows up. It's the kind of things legends would pop up about everywhere.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Colossus in the Playground

Unless you consider the fact that Bob the Dragon is a dragon diety, who can, quite literally, be in multiple places at once, and shows up like this EVERY time a dragon dies. Then it's World Lore.

Besides, Railroading is when you force the players to take specific actions. When you deny them a dragon corpse, just because, it's not railroading, it's just being an a-hole.
    By that logic, Pelor shows up in person to deal with the deceased who worship him moments after they die. As does Gruumsh (who wants to take the corpse for use in infernal rituals). I assume you have nobody looting corpses in your setting?

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    By that logic, Pelor shows up in person to deal with the deceased who worship him moments after they die. As does Gruumsh (who wants to take the corpse for use in infernal rituals). I assume you have nobody looting corpses in your setting?
    Abyssal rituals: Gruumsh is CE. Geez, why can't people remember the proper terminology for a dark god's evil rites?

Extended signature!

25. - Top - End - #145

I don't know, there are a lot more humans than there are dragons. Bob might have more time on his hands.
    The Cranky Gamer

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know, there are a lot more humans than there are dragons. Bob might have more time on his hands.
    Getting Time Stop at-will is trivial for any deity worth his proverbial salt.

Extended signature!

27. - Top - End - #147

Getting Time Stop at-will is trivial for any deity worth his proverbial salt.
    Still, man, gotta be boring. With dragons, especially adult dragons, you might have one or two deaths per year... most in violence with humans and demihumans. Humans, you get one or two deaths per round. Bob's just got more time to make it special, you know? It's a big day in their lives.
    The Cranky Gamer

28. - Top - End - #148
    Bugbear in the Playground

Still, man, gotta be boring. With dragons, especially adult dragons, you might have one or two deaths per year... most in violence with humans and demihumans. Humans, you get one or two deaths per round. Bob's just got more time to make it special, you know? It's a big day in their lives.
    I can't be the only one enjoying the thought of Bob, Deity of Dragon Funerals, being a very lonely fellow.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ComaVision View Post
    I can't be the only one enjoying the thought of Bob, Deity of Dragon Funerals, being a very lonely fellow.
    It's a part-time gig while he writes his screenplay. But what he really want's to do is direct.

- L. Long

30. - Top - End - #150

BarbarianGuy

I assume you have nobody looting corpses in your setting?
    "looting corpses" in the literal sense, nobody does.
    Bob does not pickup the equipment. Just the body, at least for the topic thread title. This is what is wanted.

Still it can just be a things of dragons, rare and magical as they are. What is the problem?

Sure, it is a somewhat boring job for Bob. "Hi dear, I just come home with some warthogs I pickup in the forest so we can have di.... oh, dear. Another dragon died just now, see you soon!" five minutes later: "...so we can have dinner."

But, heck... welcome to the world of boring jobs. Maybe there are multiple Bobs, that take turns?