New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Blood of the Ashlands (IC)

Spoiler: Astella
    Show
    And almost just as quickly, Astella finds herself back near the trail between the forest and Argenweld where she first saw the dog.

Before she actually steps out of the tall grass, however, she sees a human man standing on the trail, looking around. The man is wearing leather armor and wielding a longbow. At his side hangs a shortsword. The dog is nowhere to be seen.
    Last edited by nettle3305; 2016-10-24 at 09:48 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Astella

The half-elf makes no attempt to hide from the man, emerging from the tall grass, nearby. She did however try and take his measure, glancing him over. The first thought was whether he was the hound somehow assuming human form, the second, though, prompted her to call out to him, "Hail traveler, seeking something? Some animal you were hunting perhaps?"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Insight: To get a feel of some sort for the man, or at least try to, (1d20)[2]
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2016-10-24 at 10:00 PM.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Barbarian in the Playground

Stran looks back to the office and opens his mouth to let Kurg know what happened, but saves his breath. That kind of treatment is only for clients that pay a little up front. The bandit walks out the front door, looking for the nearest place he could get a new journal for the night's mission. Stran decides to keep an eye out for the mystery man as well, maybe get some leverage on ol' Goldtooth if he can get back the stolen item.
    I walk away from the corpse...eyelids fluttering in the wind.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Evodine Sildacin, Initiate of the Order of the Griffon

A scowl flickers across Evodine's face at being called cute, but it is gone again before anyone could even notice. Though she is overwhelmed with the bustle of activity, she is straight to business with the supply clerk. "Evodine Morth....Evodine Sildacin, Initiate of the Order. Knight Pfiferspiel is sending me into the field. I'm here to requisition a book on herbs and spices, a little additional food and water, a bag of herbs, a map of the area surrounding Borden....and a horse with saddlebags."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    "Seeking a half-elf woman," says the man, raising an eyebrow, "and a large, wild dog. But being that there is no dog and I have a healthy-seeming woman standing before me, I am compelled to wonder what could have happened here."

(I missed the earlier spoiler on rolls, so I'll do them here.)

The ewer is a beautiful object. It looks as if it belongs in the mansions of only the wealthiest families. At least twenty gold pieces, probably more.

The locket is quite beautiful as well. It is, however, harder to determine a price range for it. Ten gold pieces sounds like a good lower bound.

Borden is not close, but nor is it unreasonably far. At normal pace, probably more than day, less than a week. (Need two separate Intelligence checks, one for Tullinstadt and one for Kempten.)

Spoiler: Stran
    Show
    Stepping outside the shop, Stran finds himself on a relatively quiet street of Borden's harbor district. People walk by quickly and quietly, even though it is midday, and the businesses are small and dingy. The roads are just dirt and mud, and there are no light sources. At night, this street grew truly dark and menacing. Just opposite the Copper Emporium is a small butcher shop called Lower Harbor Meats. Through the shop's windows, Stran can see its butcher, Guntmar Cake (yes, really), working on a gutted pig behind the counter.

Just to Stran's left is Cobbo. Just Cobbo, no known last name. Hired by Goldtooth almost a decade ago, Cobbo guards the Copper Emporium's front entrance every afternoon.

Cobbo nods at Stran.

Stran needs to look for a shop to buy the journal. (Investigate check.)

Spoiler: Evodine
    Show
    The woman nods, her demeanor suddenly turning to business. "You must be specific, Initiate. Which of our tens of thousands of texts on herbs and spices interest you? How much food and water do you need? Do you prefer any kind of food? What herbs do you need and how much? How large or detailed of a map are you looking for (it's a trade off)? Are you looking for a specific breed of horse? Keep in mind, if you lose or injure your horse, barring mitigating circumstances, you will be charged, either directly or by deducting from your pay." The woman pauses, then sighs. "Initiate, precision is highly valued around here. Thousands of platinum worth of items are requested every day. But don't worry—" her eyes twinkle "—every initiate is like you at the start."

6. - Top - End - #66

Stran nods to Cobbo, and inquires about the mystery man before making his way through the dirty road. "Hey Cobbo, see any shady fellas exit the shop besides myself?"

Spoiler: Skill Check
    Show
    Investigation for (1d20+3)[17] and Stran will follow the trail of the mystery man if Cobbo has any information, and look for the shop if Cobbo doesn't

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Astella

"And just why are you seeking her? And why the dog? Far as I can tell the hound ran off already," She responds raising her own eyebrow.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Int for Tullinstadt (1d20+1)[6]
    Int for Kempten (1d20+1)[16]

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by nettle3305 View Post
    Spoiler: Guhzunthite
    Show
    "I'm no ranger," says the lizardfolk, switching to Common and spreading his arms wide to reveal that he has no weapon. "But do not underestimate my prowess. You may call me Lothzar. Who are you?"

Guhzunthite believes that some clever routing and short cuts through the wilderness, away from the beaten path, could save the trip two days at no cost to safety or practicality.

When the lizardfolk first arrived in Votland, they came with their old gods, including Farlengh, the god of travel. But as the lizardfolk mingled with humans, elves, and dwarves, the lizardfolk began importing the dominant religion of most of the world, which originated from ancient Chanpat philosophy. In this religion, the most attractive gods to the lizardfolk are Gruumsh, lawful evil god of destruction, Kord, chaotic neutral god of strength and storms, and Melora, true neutral goddess of wilderness and sea. Back at Arashk, the leaders generally subscribe to this religion rather than the traditional lizardfolk one, but the occasional lizardfolk still believes in their old gods.
    " My name is Guhzunthite," he say in Draconic. " And every gods exist, otherwise their wouldn't be cleric of them. Im not asking to belive in Farlenght but Im asking you, please, dont curse him or insult his name before hitting the roads. Such things attract bad luck, " he say sounding apologetic to say it but very serious.

Then to everyone in common: " I have a plan. I know some shortcut in the wilderness that could save us two days. I will explain my idea to my fellow Lizardfolk here and he will lead the way. I'll be in the carriage in the front. "

Once he done explaining his idea to Lothzar, in Draconic, he goes to the Miss with the necklace: " Do you have some room in your carriage for me, Miss... ? "

To her, now, he seemed no more hostile. His tone is very polite and warm, like the irritation before didn't happen.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Gelećek

Sinda's apple brew must have been stronger than he realised,he was usually better at reading people than this. He was also surprised by the lack of magic on Sinda herself.

As he eats his lunch, currently passing on the second drink, Gell considered the one spell he had found.

As he finishes his meal (tasty) he withdrew a letter from his pack and approached the half-elf.

Sorry to interrupt but you seem like a well-travelled sort and I wonder if you could identify the script of this letter.

---
    Arcana check to try and identify the spell: (d20+5)[16]

Letter is the "letter from a dead colleague" that the Sage background gives you. Backstory says it's written in a language he doesn't read. If the half-elf offers anything other than a swift "**** off", Gell will ask to take a seat - (d20)[17] Cha+2/Persuasion+4, if needed.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Evodine lets out a little huff, more in determination than exasperation. "Okay. A backpack full of herbs and spices. It doesn't matter which; I'm using them for my cover as an herbalist looking to buy and sell herbs. I'd like Coleson's Plants for Another Season, the map..." She pauses a moment to think how to describe a map. "It should show Borden, all the roads in and out as well as any major geographic hazards such as impassable cliffs. Dragon lair's to avoid would be nice, but I can probably figure that out on my own if need be. Waybread dried meats for five days and a large bladder of water, probably. That will give me almost two ten-days of food. Should be plenty. The horse....male, quarterhorse, at least six years old, somone who won't spook easily. Chestnut. Fun personality, likes to run, but is okay taking it slow as well. Saddlebags. Some oats and apples for the horse for when there isn't grass. A horse brush. Equipment to tack up."

She stand and waits to be berated for failing to think of something.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Theren
    Show
    Theren is standing in the busy streets, looking at the deserted alley across from him, which is where the guard with the globe went.]
    Theren the Wood Elf Fighter Searches for where the guard disappeared to.
    Spoiler: OOC/Rolls
    Show

?: (d20)[20]

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    Cobbo scratches his head, laughs, and says, "Everyone 'round these parts look shady, chief. If you mean the fella who just left, he headed just opposite the harbor." Cobbo points down the road. "Well, I don't see 'im anymore. But he definitely went thataway." (Investigation check with advantage.)

By heading to the right street and asking around, Stran manages to find a specialized store selling, among other things, calligrapher's supplies for ten gold, or cartographer's supplies for fifteen. Purchasing a blank book costs one silver for each page plus one gold for the binding. A one ounce bottle of ink costs ten gold, and an ink pen costs two copper.

Show
    "So there was a dog," says the man. "I was told a story that two of our foragers, on their usual walk to the forest, ran into a large wild dog. Then, supposedly, a stranger selflessly stepped between them and the dog. Not the sort to leave such charity unreciprocated, Lord Breton asked our hunters to aid this stranger. Seeing you here forces me to conclude that this stranger either needed no help, or that you are not the stranger in question, though you match the description very closely." The man grins and relaxes his grip on his bow. "But few enough match your description as it is."

Tullinstadt is definitely far. More than a week's travel away at a regular pace.

To get to Kempten from Argenweld, one would have to reach Borden first, then take one of the routes outbound between the mountain path and the coastal path. A journey along this route at a regular pace should take no less than eleven days, and no more than thirteen. This is, of course, barring poor weather conditions and other misfortunes.

Show
    In response to Guhzunthite, Lothzar says, "Wise enough. The ways of the gods are unknowable. I shall nonetheless pray to Melora." And so he does, clasping his hands together and bowing his head.

Lothzar is also agreeable to Guhzunthite's travel suggestions. "It's only a shortcut if the cart makes it through," he says, "but if it does, then your company will have been a true blessing."

The traveling party is composed of Lothzar, Guhzunthite, two armed humans with maces, two human children, four adults with no real weapons to speak of besides daggers, clubs, and sickles, a small cart with six crates on-board, and a draft horse pulling the cart.

Without further ado, the party begins their journey.

One human man is sitting on the cart and driving the horse with his reins. At the front and the back walk the humans with the maces. The owner of the necklace is walking alongside the cart with the children and the other two adults. Lothzar is walking much further in the front, eyes scanning the horizon.

(Since there is no sitting on a carriage to speak of, I will ignore that segment of your post.)

Spoiler: Gelećek
    Show
    The half-elf regards Gelećek for a moment, then he looks at the letter.

"It's in Celestial," says the half-elf in a raspy voice. "I'd be interested in reading it."

The aura feels like a spell cast by a cleric. It is a second level abjuration.

Show
    The halfling woman laughs. "You could give our veterans some pointers. Several mistakes, but most unimportant. Just bear in mind, even though I might guess it, do not tell me more than I need to know to do my job. So the comment on your cover was ill-advised. Now, enough with the paper-pushing." She clears her throat. "You'll get your map. The copy I'm thinking of does not mark dragon lairs, though I suspect this is because there aren't any in Borden's vicinity. For herbs you will receive two gold's worth of thistle, primrose, garlic, ginkgo, and cinnamon in separate cloth bags. I'm not personally familiar with Coleson—could be worthless, for all I know—but policy is to return books in good condition, barring, of course, work-related circumstances. Waybread is not something we typically stock, but I can meet you halfway with smoked and salted meats, dried vegetables, and hard biscuits. I'm not certain I'll be able to get you ten days' worth, since it's not up to me.

"As for horses, none of ours spook at all. You can be sure of that. I can probably get you the age you want but not the coloration. Riding saddles and saddlebags are a given." The woman pauses for a moment, tallying up everything. "Very well. Wait outside." She gives Evodine instructions for where to wait. "Gods watch your steps, Initiate."

It turns out Evodine was asked to wait in a hidden courtyard behind headquarters. This courtyard is much plainer, without embellished fountains or colorful gardens. It is nonetheless well-kept; the hedges are neatly trimmed and the grass is freshly cut. At the side, there is a path through a guard station leading out of the headquarters.

Men and women came promptly within ten minutes to deliver Evodine's supplies. The supplies contain the requested map, book, herbs, spices. Only seven days' worth of rations are delivered, but these are the rations the requisitions woman indicated. (The map gives advantage on geography-related rolls near or in Borden.)

After another minute, a man arrives with a bay riding horse. The horse is equipped with a riding saddle and saddlebags. The man leads the horse to Evodine and says, "I'm a stable master, which means I get upset if I don't see my boys and girls again. I wish you luck, Initiate, if only because I don't want my horse hurt." The man leaves. (Animal Handling check with advantage.)

On the upper levels of headquarters, Pfeifferspiel is standing at one of the windows, looking down at Evodine. He waves when Evodine sees him. (Insight check.) With that, he turns away from the window and disappears.

Show
    Theren did not need to search to know, the alleyway only appears deserted because he is standing across the street. The guard with the globe definitely walked in the alley. No doubt he is in some corner Theren cannot see from the streets. To pursue on foot would mean to walk into the alley as well.
    Last edited by nettle3305; 2016-10-25 at 07:23 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Guhzunthite ask to the woman once they are far enough from the borders: " So, would it be impolite from me now that you given me your necklace to ask for your name, Miss...? "

Once he knows the answer, he nods and smile: " Lovely name. And are those your childrens? "
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2016-10-25 at 07:29 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Astella

She nods. "There was a dog. I went after it to investigate and it fled, ended up leading me in a big circle, and I have no idea where it is now. Since you missed it, and I've lost its tracks it's gone now. It doesn't seem an actual threat to people fleeing as it did. And now that that distraction has led me off track for long enough I had best be on my way."

She begins to at least try and continue on her way, and if he does not try and stop her she will return home and pack her belongings, and set forth with haste. While talking to Lewinna is an appealing idea, she'd rather not give this too much extra time to fester, and the archmage probably would not believe her if she went to him unless he already has his suspicions. That said sending a messenger from Borden might work in that case, but it'd be best to find more proof there first.

Edit OoC Clarification: Just to clarify intent, not trying to rush this social encounter along, but just providing 'this is what she does' in case he doesn't do something to stop her, I'm sort of guessing he might try and engage her in conversation further, but if not, just figured I should state her further intent to make things flow more smoothly.

Spoiler: Roll/Questionish
    Show
    In case it's needed since she's avoiding the truth quite a bit, Deception (1d20+3)[6]

Also I'm guessing she still lives with her human father (probably a logger miner given the region), if she lives alone, well she probably practices a profession as well as able (with survival to maintain a comfortable lifestyle). Just figure she probably would have to actually pack her bags and not just walk around with rations all the time. Feel free to correct these assumptions.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2016-10-25 at 08:24 PM.

Current Projects:

15. - Top - End - #75

Stran looks up and down the street before heading into the shop

Spoiler: Skill Check
    Show
    Investigate check for two! (1d20+3)[9] and (1d20+3)[22]

He enters the shop and checks the prices, keeping note that he only has 5 gold on him at the time. Stran keeps his one good eye out for the shop keep and attempts to swipe one of the ink vials, grabbing a journal and inkpen in the process to purchase.

Spoiler: Skill Check 2
    Show
    Gonna try to nab this real quick with some superior Slight of Hand skills! (1d20+3)[12]

"Hey shopkeep, I don't got any silver on me, anyway you could give me pass for just a single gold and a single favor?" Stran gives him a real "winning" smile.

Spoiler: Skill Check 3
    Show
    Let's hope I get real lucky for my third check and get a Persuasion roll (1d20-1)[17]

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Theren did not need to search to know, the alleyway only appears deserted because he is standing across the street. The guard with the globe definitely walked in the alley. No doubt he is in some corner Theren cannot see from the streets. To pursue on foot would mean to walk into the alley as well.
    Sensing a trap Theren the Wood Elf Fighter looks for a way to look down into the alley from above.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Evodine thanks the clerk and almost rushes to the courtyard to look for her horse. People start showing up with supplies and she politely, but curtly thanks them. When she sees the stablemaster leading the bay over she stands with excitement, which is suddenly curbed with the brisk brush-off she receives from him. "Nice to meet you too," she mutters under her breath as he stalks off.

Her discontent is short-lived however when she turns around to meet her new mount. "Well, I am pleased to meet you, boy." She checks his tack and saddlebags to see if his name is included somewhere. You're a little too old to get used to a new name, aren't ya?" She runs her hand along his neck as she speaks ressuringly to him.

Evodine packs her stuff into the saddlebags, all the while taking breaks to pet and speak to the horse, getting him used to her voice and her touch. She makes a thourough count of each item and catalogs it into her journal. As she is getting herself ready, movement catches her eye, and she sees Knight Pfeiferspiel watching her a moment before he turns away.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Anamal handling with advantage: Roll 1: (d20)[12] Roll 2: (d20)[19]
    Insight: (d20+2)[8]

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    "Tellier," says the former owner of the necklace, "Esther Tellier. That would be my brother—" she indicates the man who was arguing before "—his wife—" she indicates the other woman "—and my cousins." She gestures at the remaining unarmed man and the armed men. "The children are my brother and his wife's." (Insight check.)

Show
    The man seems satisfied with Astella's response. "Well," he says, "I won't keep you. The next time you're in town, though, stop by and say hello. It still takes a certain something for one's first instinct to be protecting others, even if the threat wasn't real." He heads back to town.

Show
    Stran quickly deduces the likeliest streets the shabby man could have gone down, and by following the trail using the man's description, state of dress, and mannerisms, Stran determines by asking around discretely exactly where the man lives. It is a small, thatched cottage in the harbor district's slums. There is a small fenced garden by the house. A middle age human woman is in the garden, washing torn clothes in a basin. A large but skinny hound rests lazily at the cottage's front doorstep.

After identifying the location of the shabby man, Stran goes to the store.

Stran manages to pocket the ink bottle without a peep from the storekeeper, an aging gnome man.

When Stran speaks to the man, the man responds with a smile and says, "Sure thing. What's this favor?"

Show
    The horse takes to Evodine well. It nuzzles her and whinnies. (Nature check.)
    Last edited by nettle3305; 2016-10-25 at 09:30 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Astella

She smirks a bit with her back turned to the man, "I'll consider it." Let him think that she was acting to protect them, and not that her first thought was the dog was there for her anyway and that she didn't want to have to worry they were there to help it in whatever it was there to do if they fled quickly. Still she had a job to do, and it didn't take her to town. She'd return to her home, pack her things, leave a note for her father that the fae had called her away, and then head towards the road to Borden, she'd get a better price for the ewer there than in Argenweld most likely.

Current Projects:

20. - Top - End - #80

Stran pulls out a gold coin and tosses it to gnome man, "Oh you know, anything'll do really. Need a couple of heads knocked or something special from some place...lawfully secure, I can be your go to guy. Ah! Yes, sorry to ask of something again, but do you know of any men that live in a cottage in the slums of the harbor district? Saw him drop something a while back and just wanted to make sure it got back to the right person."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    On the alley's left is a two-story tall building whose first floor is an antique furniture store. It does not seem very busy. On the alley's right is a three-story tall apartment building. Occasionally a person enters or exits the building.

The street Theren is on is quite busy, with plenty of traffic.

Show
    (Nature check.) (1d20+2)[7]

Show
    It took an hour at regular pace for Astella to get home.

Astella's home is a big two-story log cabin at the very edge of the forest. A chimney extends from the cabin's roof, smoke wafting lazily out. There are a sawmill and watermill nearby, the latter next to a pristine, quickly flowing river.

The house is comfortably furnished and has a rustic charm to it. On the mantlepiece over the fireplace is a small painting the father commissioned years ago. The painting depicts a much younger Astella and her parents.

Show
    "Lots of people live in the slums of the harbor district," says the gnome, confused, "almost by the very nature of slums. Say, about this favor... If you're serious about the head-knocking thing, then some thugs have been taking my ink shipments. Funny thing is, Paloka's Trade Goods down by the Eimsbek Ward docks has been selling plenty of ink recently. Well, long story short, I'm betting they've been stealing my inventory. If you can get some back for me, there's four gold per ounce of ink in it for you."
    Last edited by nettle3305; 2016-10-26 at 01:44 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Guhzunthite was worried to dig too deep in the womans wounds: " Im sorry if Im reopening old wounds. Im sorry about your husband. "

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    After a few moments with the horse, Evodine realizes that, contrary to her request, the horse is female.

The horse bows its head and starts sniffing Evodine's supplies.

Show
    Esther does not respond immediately and continues walking.

After a long silence, she speaks. "My husband vanished with the rest of the Two-Hundred and Seventh, just like several other legions sent into Ostmark's frigid wastes. No one will answer my questions. No one will speak to me. Perhaps no one has any answers. What happened the day my husband and thousands of others ceased to exist?"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

OoC Question: Is her father home? I'd imagine not if he is performing day labor, but figured I should... prepare two versions of the IC post just in case.

If not

Spoiler: If he's not home
    Show
    Astella

She hurriedly grabs what she needs for a journey, her backpack, rope, rations, torches, piton, hammer, crowbar, and other adventuring supplies, going outside to fill her waterskin. She'd prefer to avoid a tearful goodbye, after all. Instead she writes a rather brusque and curt note to her father.

The time has come, the fae have asked a task of me. I must go with haste, traveling to Borden and perhaps even beyond. Be well, be safe. Do not worry about me, they have given me a portion of their power, they will not throw me, she paused thinking on just how this could be a trap by the Prince of Luck, after all if she died he lost nothing, away recklessly. I will send news when I can. We knew this day would come since I went into the forest.

She had known it would come, and taking her staff, really more of a walking stick than a weapon, in hand, she set forth on her journey, still trying to settle her fears that it may be a trap by one of Cuinn's admitted enemies.

If he is

Spoiler: If so
    Show
    Astella

She set about hurriedly packing her supplies, backpack, rope, rations, and so forth, filling her waterskin, and hoping to avoid her father's notice as long as possible. Once she was ready, and she was already more than half ready, she'd find her father and approach. "Dad, the fae, you know I made a deal with them, a pact for a chance not to end like mom did. It means I have to help them, and they've asked me to perform a task. They want me to go to Borden, it shouldn't be too dangerous, just something that they lack the material form to do. I can't say how long it'll take, though, I'll try and send word if I learn I will be gone too long. Don't worry, though, they'd not just throw me away, they invested too much into me. Besides they need this done. We knew this would come, and the sooner it did the better my chance of actually being ready when I needed to be. I don't want you to have to outlive me, after all." She blurted out, hoping to spill it all before he has a chance to respond. Of course saying this she couldn't help but start thinking on just how this could be a trap by the Prince of Luck, after all if she died he lost nothing.

Deception for lying through her teeth (1d20+3)[21]

Current Projects:

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Gelećek

And I'd be VERY interested in finally finding out what it says says Gelećek, glad to have found a connecting line. He takes a seat to join the half-elf, genuinely curious but also considering nudging table to see if Sinda was just leading him on about the contents of their pack.

-----
    I don't know if this works, but Religion check to identify the deity or at least domain of the cleric who cast the spell: (d20+5)[19]

Half-elf: male/female, visibly armed, anything of note about them up close?
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2016-10-26 at 03:24 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    On the alley's left is a two-story tall building whose first floor is an antique furniture store. It does not seem very busy. On the alley's right is a three-story tall apartment building. Occasionally a person enters or exits the building.

The street Theren is on is quite busy, with plenty of traffic.
    Theren
    AC:15, HP:11, Perception:15

Enters the apartment building

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

" I wish I had the answers for you... So nobody would tell you how he dies? Hummm... In any case, no matter the race, their is one thing that is certain: he didnt come back. If he was alive, like any mans send on the front, he would have done anything in his power to come back. "

" Im sure others more powerful or free to go there must have made the journey to get those answers, right? Yet if they don't have any, why stop living and aiming for happiness? Habbakuk is teaching his followers that life is unfair but that we MUST persevere. Only throught trials does a a soul shine at its brighest. You, today, have impress me. While others skull grew numb on my threat, you still proven to have insight and one who managed for the conflict not to escalate. You, today, showed to your kind that you must to do what you must, lower your head when you are in the wrong and not let your worries and pride blind you. Although the cost was great, you didn't hesitate in giving me this momentum of yours. "

" If it wasn't that I had to give face to my kind and followed my own heart, I would have let you guys go from the start. However, life is not a compassionnate mistress. We too need to eat and seek warmth in winter just like humans. And what happened in our lands cannot be changed, exactly like what happened during this war. The only thing we can do is live life to its fullest with what we have. The past must not become a burden as our loved ones wouldn't be happy from the misery their lost bring us. I know what Im saying is easier said then done. Love is a root that ingrain in the heart and the bigger it is, the deeper the hole it leave once its gone. "

" Im sorry, you probably don't need me to tell you all this. I guess its my second nature as a cleric. When spreading our gods teaching, we can get a bit preachy."
    Last edited by Emmerlaus; 2016-10-26 at 08:34 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Show
    Astella's father was not home.

The road to Borden is oft-traveled by locals but still potentially dangerous.

Astella can begin traveling immediately. (Intelligence check.)

Spoiler: Gelećek
    Show
    The half-elf is a man. He has a dagger at his side. Gelećek can tell that the half-elf is quite muscular, even under his traveling cloak. There is a large, cloth-wrapped pack sitting at the foot of the table, right beside the half-elf.

The half-elf takes the letter and spends a moment looking at it.

Then he says, "Apologies, I misspoke. The script is Celestial, but I can only decipher the first quarter of the letter. The last three quarters are in some cipher." He pauses a moment, calculating. "I'd say each of the last three quarters are written in different ciphers. Judging by symbol incidences, they're no simple substitutions. As for the first quarter..." He begins to dictate.

To my former student and apprentice, now a wizard true:

It is not on a whim that I now leave the cloistered halls of the Monastery. I know that I will miss my late nights in the library, poring over ancient volumes on magi and the cosmos, and my quiet days of contemplation in the Rock Gardens of Istus, expanding my mind to that which exists beyond my mortal form. I know that, by leaving, I can no longer educate the next generation of magi, one of the most important tasks of every great mage. Such is the magnitude of the sacrifice I have made, and so I expect you to grasp the significance of my decision.

I have been in communication with many esteemed mages across several continents. Masterful diviners, conjurers, transmuters, abjurers, and illusionists, the lot of them. It has come to our attention, though at such a cost it pains me to discuss it, that there is a connection between the War of Freedom fought many centuries ago and the Iron War, which was but a decade ago. Moreover, we discovered that this connection is not merely of academic interest but rather is a matter demanding total and immediate attention. A failure to properly understand this connection may have dire consequences.

Below you shall find a survey of my research. I have encrypted the information so that, in the event this letter falls into the wrong hands, no harm will come of it. Nonetheless, I understand you may feel compelled to trace my steps. Curiosity is innate in us magi. Hence, the encryption also serves a dual purpose: By the time you have the machinery needed to decipher my code, I know you will also be knowledgeable enough not to make the same mistakes I made.

I wish you the best. Remember you have the lineage of my magic within you. Carry that and be proud.

-J

(Two History checks.)

The half-elf mulls over the message. (Insight check.)

After a moment of silence, he says, "Curious letter. Are you comfortable with sharing the full name of this 'J'?"

Show
    Theren enters the apartment building.

He is in a narrow and plain, but clean, hallway. There are four doors on either side and a stairway at the far end. A dwarf man is currently unlocking the door to an apartment, carrying a basket of grains and fruits. The apartment in question is on the left, two doors away from the stairs.

The man looks at Theren and nods courteously.

Show
    Esther replies, "Loss comes in like the tide. I have become accustomed to it, letting it wash past me as though I am reed in the waters. I do not dwell on my late husband, but his legacy. Nor has time dulled my senses; we know far too little of what transpired during the Iron Wars, when so much blood was shed over so little."

Lothzar calls out to the entire group. "We shall soon leave the limits of Arashk's patrols. We must now be cautious in our movements; this is not dangerous territory, but it is still the wilderness. Many lives were claimed when fools falsely thought themselves safe."

"Fools like us," mutters the carriage driver. He says more loudly, "We should never have brought you, Esther."

"No," says Esther. "The trip was a financial failure, true enough, but that is not why I came."

Spoiler: Errich
    Show
    Asking around, Errich manages to pinpoint the location of The Barley and the Brew. It is located on a relatively quiet but well-to-do street of the trade district. There are regular guard patrols, and just enough people wandering about at any time of the day to put one's mind at ease. The buildings here are elegant but not extravagant, and include both residences and businesses. The streets have iron lamps at regular intervals to light the way, though being midday, they are currently unlit.

The Barley and the Brew itself is a small establishment with a quaint storefront. It does not appear to have much traffic.
    Last edited by nettle3305; 2016-10-26 at 03:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Int Check
    Show
    Int (1d20+1)[4]

Not completely sure what the check is for so waiting for that before actual IC actions of any sort.

Current Projects:

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Evodine packs things up then examines the map. She takes one last look around the courtyard, then decides to head out. She mounts up, pats the horse on the shoulder and says, "Let's go girl. We're gonna show these 'experienced' agents how it's done." Evodine then turns the horse towards the exit and heads down the road toward Borden. Her internal monologue is not nearly so confident as she lets on. Oh gods, oh gods...please let us get through this alive.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    How far is it to Borden? I'll update my char sheet with the new supplies tonight when I'm at home.