New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Faerie Affair - IC III: In the Court of the Faerie King

After giving your words some consideration, the white-haired faerie tells her comrades to complete their search quickly, since "I do not believe they are a threat. Indeed; Lady Blossomheart appears to be speaking the truth."

"Yes of course, Lady Silkpenny, right away," say two of the younger faeries, in perfect unison. They work with the Mage Hand operator to rifle the rest of your bags.

Supervising, a faerie with a holy symbol around her neck observes various weapons and pieces of adventuring gear being removed: "heavily armed, I see. Oh, what's this?" She reads some of the letters of introduction you were carrying. Fortunately, they don't contradict your story so far.

Kyu, Opal... seems like things are going well.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Kyu frowned at them searching their bags but otherwise didn't act. "We went through many dangers to get here, obviously we are armed." As a sign of good faith, she opens her bag and places it where the other faeries will have an easy time going through it.

3. - Top - End - #423

OldWizardGuy

Opal opts not to add to the conversation so as to not risk what seems to be a positive turn of events. She tries to observe and learn the pecking order and the basic relationships between fairies. Is the white-haired one in charge? Perhaps she will take them to the queen, reasonably soon?

ooc: insight roll (1d20+1)[6]
    Last edited by Stan; 2017-05-18 at 09:41 PM.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    Opal opts not to add to the conversation so as to not risk what seems to be a positive turn of events. She tries to observe and learn the pecking order and the basic relationships between fairies. Is the white-haired one in charge? Perhaps she will take them to the queen, reasonably soon?
    With how quickly the faeries have been moving, you haven't yet been able to keep track of all their names, let alone the pecking order. All you can really glean is the obvious: there are six older and six younger faeries, in what appear to be master-apprentice pairs. The white-haired woman, Lady Silkpenny, does seem to have an aura of command, but that might just be because she's the most bossy.

The lad who was trying to hide comes out to search Kyu's bag...

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Brent Investigation: (1d20+2)[8]

But he gets a little... distracted. "You, uh, like to live dangerously, huh?" He says. "The name's Wildheart. Brent Wildheart."

And then it will be Astra's turn.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2017-05-21 at 05:58 PM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Astra fidgets futilely in the webbing and pleads, "Please! We're sorry we didn't come announced! We thought we would be! Nevertheless, I know we are expected! Queen Reena has repeatedly requested Lydia for aid. We are who she sent!"

It was another bad lapse of decorum on the poor, flustered pixie's part, but would her choice of words matter more than the few she forgot?

Spoiler
    Show
    Persuasion: (1d20+4)[7]
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2017-05-21 at 06:17 PM.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

The faeries don't seem too impressed with Astra's pleading, but before any of them can do anything, the one who left the room earlier flies back in and whispers something in their ears.

Top of Round 3

"So then," announces the Web-caster. "You've come from Lydia's domain, and fought drow and ettercaps in the North. You claim to bring gifts and intelligence." He pauses.

Show
    Andros Intelligence: (1d20+2)[15]

...and draws a conclusion: "you're here to stop the war. In that case, I'm going to have to officially place you under arrest. Your continued compliance is appreciated." He releases the Web and gestures something to the other faeries.

Go, Kor!
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2017-05-22 at 02:53 PM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Arrest?" Kor says and warily looks at the fey. "That's... That's silly! We haven't even seen the queen yet! Surely she would like to talk to us, since like Astra said, she asked for help! We are the help! And why would you arrest us when we are trying to stop the war?"

Kor knew getting angry with these stuck up fey wouldn't help anything, but he couldn't help. They'd traveled so far, and in Soren's court they'd been warmly welcomed. Did these people think that Soren was favored because they'd gone to his court first?

"Let at least one of us talk to her, I'm sure everything would clear up if we could just talk to her majesty"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I suppose Persuasion's the most applicable skill: (d20+1)[3]

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Mr. Dreampearl, who still has Astra's wand, says "regretfully, master Korialstrasz, you shall have to face her Magnificence's Most Esteemed Council of Justice first." He does sound genuinely regretful.

He flies over to Ori with one of the girl-faeries: Dreampearl sits on her shoulder while his accomplice prods her back with a wand. "It is their job to 'clear up' this sort of thing, after all. You will get a fair hearing, you know."

"Though probably not before the invasion begins," he concedes. "Come, madame, the cells are this way."

What will Ori do?

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

Orianna sighs. "Of course. How ridiculous our timing. I'm sure your invasion will go swimmingly for all involved. Certainly you might catch Soren's court by surprise. But in the end, all that will result is the destruction of both your courts in the face of a variety of outside forces. Perhaps you have not seen enough to believe this, but I have seen enough that success here will ultimately lead to your own destruction."

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure whether Intimidation or Deception, but Ori is equally skilled at those so I don't think it could matter as long as it's a Charisma check.

(1d20+3)[8]
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Lady Silkpenny creates some Dancing Lights, causing all the other faeries to stop what they are doing. "Hold a moment. Perhaps we do need to listen to these strangers..."

Show
    Daisy Wis save: (1d20+1)[7]

She loses her nerve. "Yes, it is not for us to just throw them in the cells without properly investigating their purpose." She turns to the five of you.

"You. It is your lucky day. Instead of the cells, we will place you under house arrest, with some degree of comfort and freedom. I cannot promise that her Magnificence will visit you in person, but you can be assured that she will hear whatever it is you have to say. Please follow me."

Initiative order is over; you can post at will. Everyone gains 1,130 XP for talking your way into Reena's court without getting thrown in the cells!
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2017-05-23 at 04:54 PM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Orianna nods and speaks in a very even tone, betraying little of her true feelings. "Thank you for your kindness. Please lead the way." She gives a meaningful look to the rest of the party, clearly relieved that they've avoided full imprisonment.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Astra looks about quite apprehensively. Seemed there was little point to saying anything at all anymore.

She didn't exactly like the idea of being under a "house arrest" either. Then again, she had little idea how it would actually be like. Comfort? Some freedom? Maybe it wouldn't be too bad. Still, even though they had a looming crisis to avert.. the urgency of that wasn't as bad as a welling fear that she'd never see her home again.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kor sniffs and flicks his tail indignantly. Well, Kor had certainly changed his opinion of Reena. Kor wasn't very sure about courtly protocols, but this certainly was no way to treat a guest.

Still, they'd said the party might not even be able to meet with. Kor certainly wouldn't take that. They'd traveled too far, only to fail because some monarch was too full of herself. He certainly wouldn't leave this place without meeting the queen.

Kor doesn't say anything, andfollows Silkpenny quietly.

14. - Top - End - #434

BardGuy

Kyu wanted to complain and demand more, but for now it was best to stay quiet. Maybe she could complain directly to the Queen about it later, and get everyone in trouble. She got ready to follow them peacefully.

15. - Top - End - #435

OldWizardGuy

Opal follows Kyu's lead and goes along while things are going their way. Sort of. Better than a prison.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

You are swiftly ushered out of the teleportation chamber, through a series of stark, unadorned hallways and corridors. Lots of tiny doors along the way are firmly shut and all the faeries you meet are wearing the same black garb as the twelve who are accompanying you.

After a few minutes, you come to a larger, more welcoming room where several faeries are milling about, chatting or waiting for people. There are human-sized benches along the edges of this room... and one of them is occupied by what looks like a real human! That's unusual.

Anyway, you don't stay for long. Soon a massive pair of heavy wooden doors crashes open and you proceed to the outside. In many ways, the Enclave looks a lot like Soren's, except that there are faerie soldiers marching around, practicing drills and hurling Firebolts at targets. Reena's victory fountain is a towering presence in the centre of the Enclave and, indeed, is the focus of civilian activity.

"Since you'll be under house arrest," Daisy says (you learned on the way that she is in charge of this troop), "we'll assign you a house for the duration of your stay. This one should do nicely." It's a cottage of sorts, on an alleyway just off the main square. You are given a key and told: "please make sure you are in here for the Dark Third*. We shall not be held responsible for anything that happens if you are not."

*Strictly speaking, there is no night and day in the Enclave. The Dark Third means the hours from 10pm to 6am.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kor looks at the cottage. It didn't look bad, but Kor was in a surly mood, so he just took on a haughty look and said: "I guess it'll do". Kor hesitates, and tries to speak more politely. "So, uh, I guess we can at least go where we want in other times?".

Kor glances back the way they came from. "So I noticed a human sitting back there. That's a rare sight in courts, I think. Is he a druid or something?"

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

Orianna looks at the human, but only with a circumspect glance. "I'm not sure, but perhaps it might be worth introducing ourselves." As they pass by the soldiers, Orianna seems to grow a bit somber watching their drills.

As Daisy lets them in, Orianna offers a bow. "Thank you for your kindness. We'll be sure to observe the curfew." Presuming no one else does, she takes the key and opens the door, gesturing for the others to go inside.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Majin View Post
    Kor looks at the cottage. It didn't look bad, but Kor was in a surly mood, so he just took on a haughty look and said: "I guess it'll do". Kor hesitates, and tries to speak more politely. "So, uh, I guess we can at least go where we want in other times?".
    "As long as you stay within the enclave. Which you will, because the gatewardens are already being informed of your descriptions," she confirms. You are then left to your own devices.

Today is the 3rd of Mirtul, 1492. It is almost 6pm.
    You are outside your 'house of arrest' in Moonrise Tower (Reena's enclave).

An amber glow suffuses the air and shadows stretch over the doorway. All told, it's been a hard day, and you realise that you'll likely face more trials tomorrow. Perhaps it's time to take stock?
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2020-03-21 at 04:41 PM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

"Um, ok... Thanks..." Astra says, still flustered by all of this.

She looks to the others and says, "Well, why don't we go in?"

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kor goes inside and glances around the room. "Soo... This didn't exactly go as well as in Soren's kingdom... What should be our next move? I hope the queen calls us to talk soon, but I dunno when that's going to happen. Maybe we should just try to talk to some nobles who are lower in the pecking order, tell them about the contest idea"

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Kor
    Show
    When you cross the threshold, you feel a strange sensation settle over you, as if your scales have been covered with a thin layer of silk. The idea of a curfew suddenly seems a lot more important to you than it did a moment before...

The inside of the room is completely as you would expect a cottage to be. Cozy fire, solid old furniture, artistically-questionable paintings... nothing unusual there at all.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2017-05-27 at 04:49 PM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

Astra enters the house as well. Her skin tingles, and combined with the new thoughts she notices shoved into her mind, she deduces there's some magic effect on this place. "Hey everyone, the place is enchanted it seems. Like, they made it so we'll want to obey the curfew more? But that's completely understandable I guess. Come on in!"

She hovers around, looking at the paintings. Interesting. What, a fire here already? "Wait. Did they just light a fire here before they left, or..."

"Hello?" she yells into the cottage, wondering if anyone else was here.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh? Who's there?" A voice calls back.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

"We're, uh, visitors! Of sorts," Astra chimes, not wanting to give out her name without a proper introduction.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

Orianna also follows Kor and Astra, though she remains quiet, focused instead on observing the surroundings.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

"Aren't we all, darling" asks (rhetorically) a rakish faerie as he sashays down the stairs. "Good evening my dears. You may call me Wenham," he says, sitting himself on the plush backrest of a flower-print sofa, "so, what are you folks in for?"

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

28. - Top - End - #448

OldWizardGuy

Opal bows to the fairy.

"Greetings. You may call me Lady Stone. We are envoys of Queen Lydia who had the gall to arrive unannounced."

Opal drops her pack against a wall and sits in a chair that matches the sofa.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, what do you expect? Security's a little jumpy right now. Long journey up here, eh?"

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"You could say that", Kor said and shrugged. "So,
    what did you do to end up here? Doesn't seem like this is just a normal cottage for visitors. Or are you here to keep an eye on us?"