New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Combat system analysis

I meant that I took her soloing the blue and getting pwned by the red as a sort of reference or visual in-joke, not that they literally conned their color.

My main was a barbarian warrior. I especially enjoyed wandering around and doing quests, which warriors were not particularly well suited for. I tried some alts but eventually just got tired of it.
    Last edited by Scientivore; 2007-07-21 at 01:07 PM.
    My avatar is a remix that I made of Prince Ansom. Resource credit:
    Spoiler
    Show

Snag some Erfworld avatars and backgrounds, make some lolerfs and motivators (or demotivators), read my Erfworld fanmix, or check out my latest spotlight on an under-discussed webcomic: Head Trip (Scilight #13)!

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Back on the combat system, it appears pretty straightforward and simple because there's but a few stats

Move
    Hits
    Attack
    Defence
    Special

My guess is that the attacker pits his attackstat against the defenders defence stat and the unit with the highest score wins the round and deals the difference in damage: Attack 4 vs. defence 6 means that the attacker loses 2 hitpoints.
    Maybe there's a device to balance this a bit by having the loser deal the difference in damage to the winner and the winner deal twice the difference in damage to the loser. This would explain that units can win but are wounded doing so.

A stack without warlord/commander will fight like in the earlier Warlords PC games. Unit v.s. unit untill all enemies (or allies are dead)

A stack with a commander might fight more in the fashion of HoMM or even the Total War series. It appears that hexes can hold multiple stacks so they're at least as big as a village square or something like that.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

So far, nothing invalidates our analysis thus far.

We can tell Ansom won't run , as that's option 1: "flight". Vinnie gives it a 50/50 chance of making it. With Jillian's mounts, that chance should be 100%.

We know Ansom won't "fort". That just surrenders the initiative to Stanley, and basically fries all the siege units. So goes option 2.

We now know that the suggestion spell on Jillian from Wanda is influencing option 3: hunt. Ansom wants "best of both worlds", Jillian, gwiffons, and archons (i.e. angels) croak the 3 wounded warlords and dwagons, which will presumably, save Ansom as well. However, Jillian don't know where they are. (We know they are but 1 hex away?) And Jillian is trying very hard NOT to know where they are. And her reasoning, even by her standard (w/o Wanda's influence) makes sense: save Ansom at any cost. With Ansom around, they can always organize another army and conquer Stanley. Without Ansom, who knows what would happen? Charlie takes over?

Jillian will "disobey" Ansom's order to hunt for the wounded warlords. Her justification is "100% sure I can rescue Ansom, ??% sure I can find wounded warlords (which may also save Ansom), I should take 100% option".

So will Ansom accept the rescue or not? I doubt he'll refuse. It's one of those UNODIR / fait accompli situations. The gwiffons won't have enough moves to do both hunt, AND rescue warlords. (24 move, minus whatever they used up)

Remember, some of Stanley's dwagons have like 40+ moves though... Dang, that's a lot of strategic advantage... Move in from beyond scout range, attack, and move out.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Kasey Chang View Post
    Remember, some of Stanley's dwagons have like 40+ moves though... Dang, that's a lot of strategic advantage... Move in from beyond scout range, attack, and move out.
    With 50 move ... move in from 25 hexes away, attack, move 25 hexes away ... you are still in range of 25-movement enemies.

If you started closer, you were closer to them when it was *their* turn ...