New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question Statistics for a garrote?(A cable for choking people.)

I have a character idea in mind, and I feel that strangling people with a rope fits him well. Are there official statistics and rules for how a garrote functions in D&D 3.5? (Also, where to find them?)

If not, then how would you have a garrote work?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Statistics for a garrote?(A cable for choking people.)

rules for garotting are on page 87 of song and silence. it is aggressively not worth it. what's your ultimate goal/strategy? there's probably a way to replicate it.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    ...it is aggressively not worth it. what's your ultimate goal/strategy? there's probably a way to replicate it.
    Wow. Just read that. You are correct. They made a highly effective murder weapon into a waste of time.

My goal? I just want a rogue who pretends to be a peasant. A lot of his equipment would be--or at least appear to be--everyday stuff. I figured strangling people was a good use for an everyday rope, and also fits quite well with a stealthy character. Really, anything that lets my character knock out or kill well-placed guards quietly would work.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCorsairMalac View Post
    Wow. Just read that. You are correct. They made a highly effective murder weapon into a waste of time.

My goal? I just want a rogue who pretends to be a peasant. A lot of his equipment would be--or at least appear to be--everyday stuff. I figured strangling people was a good use for an everyday rope, and also fits quite well with a stealthy character. Really, anything that lets my character knock out or kill well-placed guards quietly would work.
    there's always assassin. might as well use those ranks in disguise for something.

there are no rules for strangling that aren't terrible. if rope interests you, you might check out complete warrior's justiciar. its hogtie ability is useful for nonlethally subduing enemies.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

There is a shadow hand maneuver that does this with a lasso of shadows for 5d6 a round with a fort save or be flat footed. Its called shadow garrotte. Level 3 and a standard action.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You could take one of the myriad of non-damaging weapons and use the Insightful Strike and Greater Insightful Strike maneuvers from ToB. They replace any damage from the weapon (none) with damage equal to your result on a concentration check (something).

You'd have to ready it pretty frequently, or just use that trick once per combat. I find it pretty slick for a "concentrate and find the weakpoint" style of combat.
    WotC D&D 3.5 Web Enhancements, Adventures, and Other Content:

Lists of Nice Potions and Fantastic Alchemical Items for your PC:

Random really cool stuff:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

I thought the nightmare blade line of manuaver replaced the damage with a concentration check thats multiplied by level of manuever. Highest being 4

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nintendoh View Post
    I thought the nightmare blade line of manuaver replaced the damage with a concentration check thats multiplied by level of manuever. Highest being 4
    No.

The insightful strike line replaces damage with the concentration roll. The nightmare blade line replaces your attack roll with the concentration roll.

Iron Chef Medals!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    No.

The insightful strike line replaces damage with the concentration roll. The nightmare blade line replaces your attack roll with the concentration roll.
    The nightmare blade line asks for a concentration check which adds additional damage on success and gives an attack penalty on failure.
    Excel sheet for 3.5 -- Native support for stacking rules and multiple forms; as lightweight as possible otherwise. (links currently broken, if you want a copy LMK)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I believe there were stats in the first volume of the Dragon Compendium, and therefore there are stats in one of the old Dragon issues kicking around someplace.