New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default How did a crappy comedy movie beat a sci fi action movie at the American box office?

How did a crappy comedy movie beat a sci fi action movie at the American box office?

That was back in 2013. However the sci fi genre got its revenge in the following years with Guardians of the Galaxy and Star Wars.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: How did a crappy comedy movie beat a sci fi action movie at the American box offi

I think this trope says every thing i want and its called to bad its good
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: How did a crappy comedy movie beat a sci fi action movie at the American box offi

The annoying chat bot aside, it's not even true. Pacific Rim had a higher box office take than Grown Ups 2 by around 200 million, but obviously they have substantively different budgets to recoup.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    The annoying chat bot aside, it's not even true. Pacific Rim had a higher box office take than Grown Ups 2 by around 200 million, but obviously they have substantively different budgets to recoup.
    can you explain please. and for the record i didnt watch both movies.
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by khadgar567 View Post
    can you explain please. and for the record i didnt watch both movies.
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=pacificrim.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=grownups2.htm

I am talking about the American audience. According to Box Office Mojo Pacific Rim earned a total of 101,802,906 at American theatres while Grown Ups 2 earned a total of 133,668,525.

What does this say about American movie watchers?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2183 View Post

I am talking about the American audience. According to Box Office Mojo Pacific Rim earned a total of 101,802,906 at American theatres while Grown Ups 2 earned a total of 133,668,525.

they have same crappy taste about movies like turkish audience

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

It looks like Grown Ups 2 was available in more theaters than Pacific Rim (3491 to 3275). That accounts for some of the difference, though Grown Ups 2 still led on a per-theater basis ($17,048 to $15,963). They also debuted against the #31 domestic movie of all time, Despicable Me 2, which was still #1 that weekend. Adam Sandler also seems to have a large built-in market - people know what they're getting into with one of his movies and his style is still popular, even if it doesn't impress critics. Lastly, I suspect (without hard evidence) that comedies generally outperform SciFi.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
    Adam Sandler also seems to have a large built-in market - people know what they're getting into with one of his movies and his style is still popular, even if it doesn't impress critics. Lastly, I suspect (without hard evidence) that comedies generally outperform SciFi.
    These two, I suspect, are the biggest culprits.

Consider the following scenario:
    Abel: Want to go see Pacific Rim?

Baker: What's it about?

Abel: Giant robots fighting kaiju.

Baker: Kai...what?
    Versus:
    Abel: Want to go see Grown Ups 2?

Baker: What's it about?

Abel: Yet another Adam Sandler movie with Adam Sandler's buddies making Adam Sandler jokes.
    Giant robot fights, while epic, are a niche market with which not everyone is familiar; Adam Sandler flicks, by contrast, are something with which everyone who has ever seen Saturday Night Live is familiar. Anyone can go to a comedy; not everyone likes giant robot action.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
    It looks like Grown Ups 2 was available in more theaters than Pacific Rim (3491 to 3275). That accounts for some of the difference, though Grown Ups 2 still led on a per-theater basis ($17,048 to $15,963). They also debuted against the #31 domestic movie of all time, Despicable Me 2, which was still #1 that weekend. Adam Sandler also seems to have a large built-in market - people know what they're getting into with one of his movies and his style is still popular, even if it doesn't impress critics. Lastly, I suspect (without hard evidence) that comedies generally outperform SciFi.
    It's not like Pacific Rim was going to be anything but a niche movie in North America, with it largely being built around its potential in finding a footing in the much-coveted Chinese market. Same as, say, Warcraft was this year. It's limited success here was hardly surprising, I think.

That being said, the Science Fiction Action Blockbuster Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, which is easily the equal in overall quality to the lowest of Sandler's dreck, made hundreds of millions of dollars more than Grown Ups 2 and Pacific Rim put together.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Also worth noting is something hinted at by the movie posters themselves:

Many American moveigoers went to see Grownups 2 because they wanted to see Sandler, James, Rock, Spade, or some combination thereof, do their thing. The plot (typical comedic coming-of-middle-age comedy) is kinda inconsequential.

Plus, again, for all the Age of the Geek thing we're going through, it's still something of a niche. A lot of people prefer something with which they can more readily identify; juggling kids, love lives, careers, etc. is something most people have first hand experience with, while using giant robots to battle giant sea monsters is... less obviously and immediately familiar.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Also worth noting is something hinted at by the movie posters themselves:

Many American moveigoers went to see Grownups 2 because they wanted to see Sandler, James, Rock, Spade, or some combination thereof, do their thing. The plot (typical comedic coming-of-middle-age comedy) is kinda inconsequential.

Plus, again, for all the Age of the Geek thing we're going through, it's still something of a niche. A lot of people prefer something with which they can more readily identify; juggling kids, love lives, careers, etc. is something most people have first hand experience with, while using giant robots to battle giant sea monsters is... less obviously and immediately familiar.
    unless you are super sentai nerd grownups look more rational choice.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2183 View Post

What it says is simple: For whatever reason this movie did not resonate with the general viewing public as much as other sci-fi/fantasy movies have.

Look at the top 100 domestic grossing movies....

Notice what dominates? Science fiction and fantasy. Notice what is seriously lacking? Straight-up comedies. You have to get down to number 77 (Home Alone, believe it or not) before you get a straight comedy that isn't animated. And it looks like there are only 4 on the list.

Now, if you adjust for inflation things look a bit different. Sci-Fi still dominates, but holds only 4 of the top ten spots (and not number 1), and Home Alone rises to number 40. But even there, straight comedies are definitely not the top box office giants.

And that's the important thing to remember. When a sci-fi/fantasy movie strikes a cord, everyone goes to see it AND you get a lot of repeat viewing (I personally know two people who between them saw 60+ showings of Fellowship of the Ring, and they were NOT a couple. In fact, they live in different cities). When it doesn't strike that cord, you get relatively few people going, and the repeat viewing diminishes or vanishes.

As others have said, the comedies tend to be more consistent. They usually aren't going to rake in half a billion dollars, but they usually make back their budget. For the most part, there's a larger core audience, at the cost of not getting everyone and not getting repeat viewing.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

13. - Top - End - #13
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Wait, did our friendly neighborhood chatbot just reply to one of its own threads?

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Giant robot fights, while epic, are a niche market with which not everyone is familiar; Adam Sandler flicks, by contrast, are something with which everyone who has ever seen Saturday Night Live is familiar. Anyone can go to a comedy; not everyone likes giant robot action.
    It's known as appeal to lowest common denominator.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    As others have said, the comedies tend to be more consistent. They usually aren't going to rake in half a billion dollars, but they usually make back their budget.
    Particularly Adam Sandler movies, as he's one of few stars who takes relatively little. That is, his films tend to cost substantially less than similar films; if he even makes close to what other silly comedies make, the studio makes mint.

Contrast that with science fiction, which tends to be synonymous with "big budget" nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruslan View Post
    It's known as appeal to lowest common denominator.
    Agreed.

But to be fair, Pacific Rim wasn't exactly high art, either.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Wait, did our friendly neighborhood chatbot just reply to one of its own threads?
    I have to say, this has got to be the best bot I've ever seen. It's like that xkcd comic about training bots to make automated constructive comments.

Incidentally, why is anyone surprised that Pacific Rim flopped? It was awful. I mean, I haven't seen that Sandler film, but still. Pacific Rim!! *throws up hands*
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Pacific Rim flopped
    It didn't. $411 million worldwide gross on a $190 million budget. Do the math.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Having seen both the movies in the theaters within a week of one another, I can honestly say that Grownups 2 was flat out better than Pacific Rim in every way.

I know that I hold a minority opinion here, but I thought Pacific Rim was easily the worst movie of the year, while Grownups 2 was surprisingly good.

I had a similar reaction to Dumber and Dumber Too vs. Interstellar the following year; although Interstellar wasn't actively terrible like Pacific Rim I was surprised that Dumb and Dumber Too had far better writing, more consistent characters, and a more logical plot. I believe I even made a thread on this board about it.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Awful?" You take that back!

Pacific Rim did exactly what it set out to do, with gleeful abandon. It was fun.
    Last edited by Ceiling_Squid; 2016-11-22 at 01:59 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Did a Jaeger step on your puppy or something? PR wasn't a great movie, but it wasn't an awful one. You don't watch it for good dialogue, or logical plots, or complex characters. You watch it to see giant robots punch giant monsters in the face with rocket-propelled fists, and it did its fight scenes very well - not a good movie, but a fun one. For that matter, it can hardly say to have flopped - just about made double its budget with overseas sales, which isn't a blockbuster or even a very profitable film but is enough for the studio to list it as a break-even on their accounting records. That's pretty good as far as 'Director Vanity Projects' go compared to some of the serious stinkers in that category.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2016-11-22 at 02:03 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Did a Jaeger step on your puppy or something? PR wasn't a great movie, but it wasn't an awful one. You don't watch it for good dialogue, or logical plots, or complex characters. You watch it to see giant robots punch giant monsters in the face with rocket-propelled fists, and it did its fight scenes very well - not a good movie, but a fun one. For that matter, it can hardly say to have flopped - just about made double its budget with overseas sales, which isn't a blockbuster or even a very profitable film but is enough for the studio to list it as a break-even on their accounting records. That's pretty good as far as 'Director Vanity Projects' go compared to some of the serious stinkers in that category.
    The acting and characterization was terrible, the plot made no sense, and the technobabble was actively insulting my intelligence.

I could have forgiven that if it was a decent action movie, but I couldn't tell what was going on in any of the fight scenes. They were so dark, and most of them occurred in chest deep water, that I couldn't actually see what was going on. When I could see what was happening (like the sword fight with the flying Kaiju in Hong Kong) it was pretty good, but for the rest of it the cinematography really leeched away any enjoyment for me.
    Last edited by Talakeal; 2016-11-22 at 03:19 PM.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    The acting and characterization was terrible, the plot made no sense, and the technobabble was actively insulting my intelligence.

I could have forgiven that if it was a decent action movie, but I couldn't tell what was going on in any of the fight scenes. They were so dark, and most of them occurred in chest deep water, that I couldn't actually tell what was going on. When I could see what was happening (like the sword fight with the flying Kaiju in Hong Kong) it was pretty good, but for the rest of it the cinematography really leeched away any enjoyment for me.
    That wasn't directed at you, but at NinjaPrawn.

As far as your critiques...everything in that list is absolutely 100% true. Though I think people go overboard on the 'technobabble' criticism; there's exactly one piece of brain-cringing technobabble in the entire movie, the bit with digital vs. analog. For pretty much the entire rest of the movie, it very sensibly doesn't even try to scientifically justify anything.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2016-11-22 at 03:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think he's a chatbot honestly.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think one's estimation of Pacific Rim would be far better served by learning the difference between the distinctly-animesque mecha subgenres of "super robot", and "real robot".

Pacific Rim wildly embraces the former, with a huge dash of kaiju cinema. I'm sorry you expected the latter, or something resembling a grounded narrative.

Granted, I fully agree on the dark fight scenes. Would have preferred more daylight action.
    Last edited by Ceiling_Squid; 2016-11-22 at 03:54 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

I think a part of my love for PR is that it's the closest I will ever get to a big-budget Battletech movie, or really any sort of Battletech movie.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ceiling_Squid View Post
    I think one's estimation of Pacific Rim would be far better served by learning the difference between the distinctly-animesque mecha subgenres of "super robot", and "real robot".

Pacific Rim wildly embraces the former, with a huge dash of kaiju cinema. I'm sorry you expected the latter, or something resembling a grounded narrative.
    I'm personally of the opinion that, while it was certainly a Super Robot story, it was trying to have the mecha be more Real Robot.

Now I'm someone who loves Real Robot series and only tolerates a Super Robot series if they can deliver on the awesome. I personally enjoyed PR a ton, although I would never say it was a good film. Me and my siblings went to see it together (seeing as most of us were living at home when it came out), and we all loved it, although we disagreed on whether they got together at the end and had our share of nitpicks (namely the sword being the best weapon by far). It's one of the few films where I'll watch the sequel without doing any research because all I expected was giant robots punching giant monsters, and I got a film where giant monsters were punched by giant robots. Is the film for everyone? No, some people don't like giant robots excused by excuses, while some of us don't care that the digital versus analogue line made no sense as we got to see Gypsy Danger punch giant robots again.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

The whole, "It was an adam sandler movie" thing goes deeper than that. Its about Brand Recognition. tm Virtually everyone still capable of going to the movies knows who adam sandler is. Love him or hate him, you still know him. Pacific Rim however, was basically a new thing. It wasnt transformers versus godzilla (and now I want to see that) so it didnt really have much in the way of a name brand to drag people in. Think about The Expendables. We didnt go to see it because of its awesome storyline, great direction, masterful boom mic operating, or anything like that, we went to see it because it had virtually every classic action star ever in it and thats just awesome to the little boy in all of us who used to bang his action figures together going "pew pew!" as we imagined arnold fighting against sylvester against a xenomorph. We knew all those names and thats what turned a movie that would have likely flopped without those big names, into a moderate success. (Tripled its budget worldwide)
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

28. - Top - End - #28

I think a part of my love for PR is that it's the closest I will ever get to a big-budget Battletech movie, or really any sort of Battletech movie.
    Spoiler: What About?
    Show
    Last edited by Talakeal; 2016-11-22 at 06:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Having seen both the movies in the theaters within a week of one another, I can honestly say that Grownups 2 was flat out better than Pacific Rim in every way.

I know that I hold a minority opinion here, but I thought Pacific Rim was easily the worst movie of the year, while Grownups 2 was surprisingly good.

I had a similar reaction to Dumber and Dumber Too vs. Interstellar the following year; although Interstellar wasn't actively terrible like Pacific Rim I was surprised that Dumb and Dumber Too had far better writing, more consistent characters, and a more logical plot. I believe I even made a thread on this board about it.
    And everything about Interstellar wasn't?

The Quantum love nonsense was far more egregious than any digital vs. analogue one off remark. It's the whole plot of the film. The movie would have been more scientifically grounded had it been endorsing the homeopathic wonders of tapping into the memory of water. I don't quite see how the comparison favors a film that has reams of vapid and pretentious babbling disguised as scientific philosophy.

30. - Top - End - #30

Spoiler: What About?
    Show
    Seen it. It might have been half-decent if the mech CGI wasn't so awful.