New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Peril & Fame 2: Belhaim

Yagenas

"They're riddled with traps, as to be expected from their kind, and they were storing the deputy at the very end of the cavern. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't place good odds on being able to pull it off stealthily barring some heavy magical intervention, though I think it could be accomplished if the kobolds were sufficiently distracted to which I'd offer myself as tribute to do so."
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

Eren

While waiting for Cassandra to reply, Eren remained silent, but thought it over.

Not completely impossible - but certainly incredibly difficult. One of the main difficulties will be getting past the pit traps without setting them off, to say nothing of the narrowness of the corridors and the lack of hiding places. But Abadar has seen fit to grant me the power of invisibility, and I do have the potion that the deputy could take to hide himself.
    Everything dissolves into blue.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

Cassandra took several of the almonds with a smile and nod of thanks to the maid. "Quite possibly," she said in response to the Baroness' question. "Though as Deputy Tulwin just noted, the kobolds were quite clever with the placement of their traps, and there is no telling how they have Deputy Antilles guarded. We did not see past a certain point, and have no idea just how far in the cavern goes. The main difficulty such an attempt would face, I think, is in the ultimate retrieval as well as both ingress and egress through a certain point in the caverns where there is a sort of steep ramp." She regarded Elias with a sympathetic look. "While I appreciate Master Alpion's willingness to risk such an endeavor, is it wise to send him in, regardless of how capable his allies are, when he may be the town's remaining authority on things arcane, especially in light of his master's sad and untimely passing? If my words last night have provoked any rashness on his part to make such an attempt, I wish to apologize. I spoke with haste and without thought to the opinions of others around me, as I am wont to do when I believe myself in the right. It was not my intention to cause contention during a trying time for Belhaim." Cassandra looked at Elias, searching his face for some sign of acknowledgement, and then sighed, a slight feeling of resignation coming over her. "I will abide by whatever you decide, my lady, though you already know my thoughts on the matter."
    Many thanks to Ceika for the Custom Avatar!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

Entering the garrison, Elias saw that the three smugglers had been transferred into a single cell, doubtless to make room for the new prisoner. The creature was large for a kobold, the horn rising from its snout giving it a truly draconic appearance, but its majesty was somewhat undercut by the potato sack draped over it in a display of shabby modesty and the gag jammed into its toothy maw. Deputy Bellet remained on duty, seemingly denied the peace of even a brief sleep, but to Elias delight he was not alone. For Sheriff Benhovy had returned, propped up with pillows in an overstuffed chair that looked uniquely out of place in the spartan building. The sight of the mustachioed face inspired a yelp of joy from Elias.

"Sir Pelle! I can't tell you how happy I am to see you."

"Ha! Yes, little blighters nearly got the ghost. Tried to kill me with my own horse!"

Bellett only sighed.

"He won't take his medicine. Says he needs to stay alert..."

As if to accentuate the deputy's words, the sheriff patted the repeating crossbow in his lap. Smiling to himself at the man's resiliency, Elias nevertheless tried to reason with him.

"Sheriff, you know that the faster you're on your feet the safer we'll all be."

"Nothing to it, lad. Bassy gave me the opium. I'll have none of it. Can't be sleeping at a time like this. If I had a horse, I'd make the lads straps me to it."

Not willing to press the issue, Elias shrugged and turned back towards Bellett. Taking the tied parcel of four books from where it was affixed to his belt, he passed it to the man gingerly. The deputy took them with a practiced hand, immediately beginning to annotate their details in his log. For his part Elias paused, seemingly conflicted, before moving to stand before the sheriff with a guilty look. Reaching into a pocket of his robes, he pulled free Hunclay's pearl ring.

"Sir, I also took this from Master Hunclay's manor. I had hoped to use it to scry on him, discern his location...it seems somewhat foolish now."

Taking the ring, the sheriff turned it over a few times appraisingly.

"Pretty thing isn't it? I'm sorry about your master, lad. But, I'm afraid without a will or a proper heir, we'll have to hold all the items of the estate."

"I understand, Sheriff."

Bellett coughed to get his attention.

"These are all the sensitive tomes you mentioned, Master Apion?"

"Indeed, those are the ones from his sealed shelves."

"As you say. Thank you for your compliance."

Silently, Sheriff Benhovy passed the ring back to Elias so the young wizard could formally turn it over to Bellett. The business of Hunclay's possessions resolved, he turned towards the imprisoned kobold.

"I'd be careful with that kobold, Sir. If he really does worship the dragon that Tula Belhaim slew a millenium ago, I doubt he has any love for this town. I could try to compel him to reveal his motives. Magically, you understand."

"Is that what he's on about? We've kept him gagged all night on account of the..."

The sheriff paused, squinting his eyes and waggling his fingers and a crude approximation of spellcasting.

"Thought he was saying something 'bout big racks. Aeteperax though? That's who the little beastie said he served?"

"According to the noblewoman who apprehended him, at least. Neither she nor any of her companions seemed to know the name."

"Hmf! Well, no laws against coercing lesser races with magic. If you want to" finger wiggling motion "the green bugger, by all means, have a go at him!"

Nodding his head, Elias moved to stand in front of the kobold's cell. Dropping his voice to a draconic growl, he probed the bound creature.

<"Can you understand me, sorcerer?">

There was no response, save the kobold staring daggers at Elias and nodding.

"Excellent."

Placing his hands together, Elias muttered a quick incantation that sent the kobold's eyes wide. Alas, despite two attempts the beast's mind remained adamant against Elias' attempts to influence it. His head dropping to one side, he regarded the prisoner with no small amount of consternation.

"Hm, the kobold is certainly resilient."

This, at last, provoked a reaction as the kobold began screaming against its gag.

<"You clearly know what I'm doing. And you if you know that, you clearly know that eventually you'll fail to resist me. Talk to me now, and things might go easier for you.">

The kobold's screams ceased, and though his hands were manacled to a heavy belt he gestured towards the gag. Maintaining the gesture, the kobold stepped forward politely. Reaching in to undo the gag, Elias addressed the sheriff and his deputy as well as the small crowd of adventurers that had gathered at the door.

"Watch him."

He untied the gag slowly, and while the kobold made no aggressive moves he remained silent as it fell away.

<"You claim to serve Aeteperax. How did you come to revere a dragon a thousand years dead?">

The question provoked a chuckle.

<"You're a mage. Use your imagination.">

<"Games, then? I like games. I imagine that someone or something with some knowledge of the Dragon Plague managed to put an idea in your head that Aeteperax has returned, and that he wished for you to harry Belhaim. I also imagine that in your fit of religious fervor, you never bothered to wonder why an ancient dragon that had slipped the bonds of death required kobolds to do its dirty work.">

Elias smiled pleasantly.

<"How close to the mark am I?">

The kobold shook his head.

<"You're half right, human. Never once did I question the bidding of my master. You will not either when you find yourself in his presence.">

<"I'm sure. I am curious why you sent your people, without question, into the bowels of the castle. In search of ancient secrets, perhaps?">

<"If you wanted to kill a wizard, how would you do it? I couldn't beat Hunclay in a fair fight ... so I just dropped a castle on his head.">

<"So Aeteperax wanted Hunclay dead? Very interesting. I'd half suspected he'd brought the castle down on himself by mistake. Are you expecting a rescue from your lord and master, then? Some grand repayment for your loyal service and the betrayal suffered at your clan's hands?">

<"Survival is its own reward.">

<"I admire your optimism.">

Looking over his shoulder, Elias took full measure of the people in the room.

<"It seems you have other guests. I think that's enough for now.">

His voice returning to common, Elias called across the room.

"Little of use thus far, sheriff, save that he claims to be responsible for Master Hunclay's death. I'm sure there are more secrets locked away, though."

Passing the gag back to Deputy Bellett, Elias turned to leave. As he passed the noblewoman, he bowed precisely as low as was proper.

"My lady."

She returned the gesture, though stumbled at his name.

"Good morning to you, Master..."

"Elias Apion, my lady. Good morning."

Behind him, the kobold shouted a farewell.

<"He's going to kill you all! Enjoy your last week, wizard!">

<"I'm sure he thought the same before he met Tula Belhaim!">

<"Yes ... well he got better.">

Emerging into the early morning light, Elias made his way towards Devy Manor. He had little faith in the Lady Cassandra' plan - even if it succeeded, it left Belhaim exposed to even further danger. He had a plan of his own, one he hoped the Baroness would deign to hear. Knocking on the door, he was shown into the sitting room, where he stood in solemn silence until the Baroness appeared. It was not a long wait, the Lady Devy arriving resplendent in a purple dress and ermine throw. Gesturing for him to sit, they exchanged pleasantries before coming to the matter at hand.

"Lady Devy, first let me convey my sympathies on the destruction of Castle Tula. I know how much it meant to you. I learned last night of the investigation you ordered of the caves near the old quarry, to ascertain the fate of Sheriff Benhovy and Deputies Antilles and Darklighter. Your agents returned to the inn with an extraordinary tale, one of both heroism and idealism. Perhaps too much idealism. As you may already know, they left Deputy Antilles in the hands of the kobolds in return for a promise to negotiate with you or your representatives. A commendable attempt to save a life, but one that I fear has placed Belhaim in the difficult position of negotiating with kidnappers absent an real assurance of good faith."

He paused for a breath.

"If you will allow me, I have a proposal that I believe will free Deputy Antilles, and allow you to decide a course of action free from the threat of violence against a captive servant of the town."

"You may make your proposal, Master Apion, but I will speak with Lady Cassandra and the others before I decide anything."

"Of course, Lady Devy. While I have no doubt the Lady Cassandra is a skilled orator, and those who follow her skilled combatants, none of them strike me was skilled infiltrators. I have allies who are quite the opposite, and access to magics that will render us invisible to the naked eye. If the Lady Cassandra acquiesces to providing us a map to the parts of the kobold's lair she explored, we could infiltrate their lair undetected and provide Deputy Antilles with the same ward with which to make his escape. His safety so assured, we could return and allow you to pursue the business of peace, or finish what I gather Lady Cassandra started. That decision would be entirely yours."

The Baroness sat silently for a moment.

"Very well. I shall proceed with this offer under consideration. Your commitment to serving Belhaim is noted."

"Thank you, my lady. Would it please you for me to remain until you have spoken with Lady Cassandra, or shall I leave?"

"Are they here already? I expected she'd arrive later in the day. Why don't you have a seat in the salon. Help yourself to the almonds."

"Thank you, my Lady."

Lead into the salon, Elias sat to wait. Absently nibbling an almond, he wondered him his skills carried sufficient cachet for the Baroness to have believed his plan possible. All too soon, that was put to the test, as he returned to her presence alongside Lady Cassandra's attendants. As the questions came, he grew somewhat incredulous.

"My plan was to turn to magic to solve the greater issue of stealth, yes. I have an associate already capable of the subtlety of an Opparan thief, and so enchanted they would be nigh undetectable. And skilled at bypassing traps as well. As for the remainder of my party, invisibility and our guide, coupled with whatever map of the caverns you could provide, would surely see us safely to the heart of the den and thence to Deputy Antilles. Your concern does me great honor, Lady Cassandra, but my companions and I have faced worse foes than kobolds."

His attention fell on the deputy.

"While I thank you for your offer of a distraction, I would not rile the kobolds unnecessarily. If the Lady Devy chooses to turn to diplomacy, we would want them with clear heads. And should she choose the more permanent solution, striking from stealth within their lair would be the more devastating blow."

I was old when the pharaohs first mounted
    The jewel-decked throne by the Nile;
    I was old in those epochs uncounted
    When I, and I only, was vile;

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by apocalypsePast2 View Post
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

Eventually coming to the discovery that Elias had gone to see the Baroness, the tiefling realized that they would probably be going spelunking soon enough, and began hunting for climbing gear. She knew better than to try to fence Hunclay's goods in town, but she still had some funds left over from her previous journeys. Idly, the Tian-Min woman wondered what the wizard's plan would be once they got there. She doubted the kobolds would appreciate having their hostages removed, and while she was fine with taking them in a fight, Elias seemed like more of a divide and conquer kind of guy.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Yagenas

Playing with an almond inbetween his teeth, Yagenas finally finished tooling around with it as Elias' attention fell on him and he swallowed the fruit whilst simultaneously raising an eyebrow "Rile them? Far from it. Merely offering to speak to their new leader whilst you go about your endeavor. But if all you want is a map I can sketch one up for you with where I remember falling or getting nearly poisoned to death."
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Devy Estate

The Baroness listened attentively with her hands politely folded at her waist while everyone said their piece. She then raised her hand to signal silence. Without any equivocation, she gave her directive. "Lady Cassandra, Deputy, I want you to deliver a gift to the kobolds on my behalf. Go to the leatherworks and purchase a half dozen furs, then to Akil's for, say, ten pounds of dried meat. A sack of potatoes too, I think. I will reimburse you. Take all of this and give it to the kobolds with my good will. Say that they may have such provisions thrice more this winter if they release Deputy Antilles to us. Once Antilles is home, I will agree to their peace. Not before."

She glanced at Elias but continued after a beat. "Make no mention of this. Not to the sheriff. Not to anyone. I want this done quietly, swiftly, and on my terms ... without interference. Do you understand?"
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2016-12-10 at 03:21 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

Disappointed, Elias bowed his head in resignation. He had such fears. Even if the kobolds could be trusted to move on, they would no doubt encounter other tribes, other races. And when those tribes, full up with savagery and ambition, heard of Belhaim's willingness to submit rather than risk the lives of her people? Would his Aunt and Uncle be taken next summer to furnish lizardfolk with spearheads? Would another deputy die to the trickery of a kobold tribe not decimated by a collapsing castle? He did not know. He could not know. But he feared.

"As you wish, Lady Devy. I will speak of this to no one."

Spoiler
    Show
    ...one could possibly refer to you guys' elaborate dance of allies-to-enemies-to-suicide-of-the-universe as some sort of weird art form.

If one were on drugs.
    Behold, the mighty slayer of strangely coloured mutant equines! The thwarter of forum woes! The! Dark! DM!

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

Letting out the breath she hadn't realized she was holding, Cassandra instinctively looked at Elias to gauge his reaction. She knew the young man meant well, differences aside. Turning to the Baroness, she nodded, "It will be done as you ask." She then looked over at Yagenas. "I am ready when you are, Deputy."
    Last edited by Othniel; 2016-12-10 at 03:34 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Devy Estate
    Moments Later ...

With their business concluded, everyone began to file out of the sitting room. Lady Devy put a hand on Eren's shoulder, saying, "Taxmaster, a moment."

When the room was empty except for the two and the maid. "I realize Belhaim must seem quaint compared to wherever it is you come from. And it is. The people are simple and unlearned. Most of them couldn't tell you why wizards farmed bat guano if their lives depended on it." The perpetually slight smile on her lips faded. "I am not a simple woman, Taxmaster. I've had dozens of tutors. I traveled in my youth. If you're lucky, you'll live to be half my age and half again as canny. And I've surrounded myself with all the talented, loyal people that my late husband's money could buy. If you ever cast a charm in my house again, I'll put you in jail until Abadar himself comes to post your bail."

With a shrug to the hall door, the baroness exited the sitting room through the opposite side to her antechamber. After the door had closed, the maid cheerfully offered, "Almond?" and held up the silver tray for Eren.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Spirits buoyed by her shopping trip and seeing to Maffei, Ellarie returned down the stairs to sit in front of the hearth with her lute. She began to strum softly as she waited for a familiar face to appear. She didn't know where Kiyoko had gone off to, but she knew Elias had meant to visit the Baroness today, and much of how she would spend the rest of her day was tied to that visit. She was anxious for the Wizard's return, though she also welcomed the chance to sit idly and clear her head. The events of yesterday seemed to her like enough excitement for a whole month, and it didn't seem to be letting up any time soon. What sort of town had she stumbled across anyway? Andun would have said it was hexed. A bit of a superstitious fool he was, but he had been hers. The passage of time had long dulled the ache of her loss, but the memory of it lingered at fringes of her mind. Like shadows that flickered at the edge of her peripheral vision. Her fingers warmed, she began to play in earnest and soon her voice joined the lute, the song's words a wistful counterpoint to the tinkling, upbeat melody.

"You’re my wanderer, little wanderer
    Off across the sea
    You’re my wanderer, little wanderer
    Won’t you wander back to me
    How I wish that you could see
    How I need you back with me
    Back with me.."

The song had been a particular favorite of her mother's. She smiled as she played, though she paused to turn her chair so she could see when somebody came through the inn door. Her companions could be due any minute. She tried not to be impatient and enjoy what might be her last still moments of the day.

"But if you’ll be my bluebird returning
    Then I will be your evergreen
    Standing tall on your horizon
    Guiding you home to me
    Guiding you home to me"
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2016-12-10 at 06:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    BIG thank you to Gengy for my fabulous avatar! ღ
    #Notallinfluencers

12. - Top - End - #222

eek Re: Peril & Fame 2: Belhaim

Eren

Spoiler: Previously...
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    Devy Estate
    Moments Later ...

With their business concluded, everyone began to file out of the sitting room. Lady Devy put a hand on Eren's shoulder, saying, "Taxmaster, a moment."

When the room was empty except for the two and the maid. "I realize Belhaim must seem quaint compared to wherever it is you come from. And it is. The people are simple and unlearned. Most of them couldn't tell you why wizards farmed bat guano if their lives depended on it." The perpetually slight smile on her lips faded. "I am not a simple woman, Taxmaster. I've had dozens of tutors. I traveled in my youth. If you're lucky, you'll live to be half my age and half again as canny. And I've surrounded myself with all the talented, loyal people that my late husband's money could buy. If you ever cast a charm in my house again, I'll put you in jail until Abadar himself comes to post your bail."

With a shrug to the hall door, the baroness exited the sitting room through the opposite side to her antechamber.

Eren, rather than feeling any real sense of intimidation - for there was little time to consider such things when the Baroness had him dead to rights and a fair point besides - felt confusion instead.

If you knew I had bolstered Cassandra's tongue, why even consider our plan? To be honest, I'm surprised you didn't just reject us outright. You would have had the justification, and there would have been no-one to blame but myself, really.

Out loud, he inclined his head and gave a simple response.

"I understand, my lady."

As the Baroness left, the maid offered up a silver platter to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarion Xid View Post
    "Almond?"
    Looking at the tray, Eren let out a sigh as the tension left his body, and nodded. "Don't mind if I do, thank you."

He plucked three from the tray, popping them into his mouth and crushing them to splinters, allowing the nutty, salty taste to permeate his senses. Chewing them, he then hurried from the room, trying to catch up with Cassandra and Yagenas.

"Before you depart, Deputy - would you be so kind as to hand over the notched mithril daggers you found when we were exploring the castle the previous night? I believe they may be the key to opening the cage we found earlier."

Pending Yagenas handing them over, Eren then extended an invitation to Ioseph to accompany him as they went back - just in case.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Eren, daggers in hand, will go back to the cage room and see if the daggers fit the slots that were previously noted to be next to the cage.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

Weighed down by his worries, Elias' pace was slow as he made his way towards the temple of Abadar. Seeing to his business there, he wound his way around the town before returning to the inn, dropping his belongings off at his Aunt and Uncle's house and sharing a brief conversation with them. At last, he returned in time to catch the end of Ellarie's song. Moving inside, he sat down across from her and clapped his hands lightly together.

"That was beautiful, Ellarie."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

She smiled brightly, pleased by the Wizard's praise and his appreciation of her song. She did a little mock bow from her seat and put her lute aside.

"Thank you, it's one of my favorites." She had an urge then to keep their talk of light things, to pass the time on trite pleasantries with a good man.

"Tell me Elias, how did your morning go? Did you see the Baroness?" No sense in sitting idle when the fate the the town might be at stake, still she asked of news somewhat regretfully.
    Somehow it is nostalgic to see the lewd discussion to return again to EMPIRE game.
    #Notallinfluencers

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

He smiled.

"I can understand why. I did see the Baroness, but she decided against my plan. Unfortunate, but there's little to be done about it now. I'm sure we'll fine other ways to spend the day."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Ioseph

As everyone begins to leave Ioseph stops in the salon and notifies a servant that he would like a private audience if it wouldn't be too selfish of him to steal a few more minutes of the Baroness' time. He nods to Eren.

"I'll need a few minutes here, but if you don't mind waiting that's fine. "

He enjoyed a few almonds while he waited. It wasn't too long before his audience was granted. The baroness still seemed aggravated, but not with Ioseph specifically. He knelt and bowed his head in deference before starting.

"Lady Devy, Baroness of Belhaim, first I must beg your forgiveness because I came here on official business and allowed myself to be distracted. My father, Master Origen Vega, has passed away. My brother, Vilhelmus Vega, wishes for you to know that he will uphold all agreements my father may have had with you and that House Vega will continue to be your loyal vassals."

He waited for acknowledgement before rising and continuing.

"My father's funeral will be in two weeks and you are welcome to attend, though we understand if you will be busy. There is something else though. My relationship with my brother became rather strained over the years I spent with the army and then abroad. My father was always very proud of me, but Vilhelmus saw it as favoritism. The estate is his by right, but he seems to fear I will try to take it from him. I humbly request that if you have any position available in your court you would consider hiring myself. As a knight of Taldor, my duty is still first to the crown, but the crown only feeds me if we're at war. I am a trained surgeon, and capable in a fight. I am sure I can make myself useful, if you'll have me."

He bows his head again waiting for an answer. Outwardly he remains calm, really this isn't that much different from briefing a superior, but he can still feel himself begin to sweat despite the chill in the air.
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Eren et al

Once again descended into the bowels of the Witch Tower, the party found themselves in the treasure room which had previously vexed them. Their intuition prevailed and the conspicuously key shaped mithral daggers worked as such. The metal bars descended and the chests were there for the taking. Although they were locked, it didn't take Eren long to have them all open.

Spoiler: Loot
    Show
    18,500 copper; 4,000 silver; 200 gold; 15 platinum. Three emeralds valued at 400 gp each. Due to the mass of copper and silver, it will take multiple trips to pull the coins out.

Ioseph

The baroness sat, listening attentively and tapping her long, thin fingers together as Ioseph spoke. "Sir Ioseph, you're a man who knows what land needs. I imagine your late father taught you well. Two strong hands, my father told me: one for the sword, one for the scythe. I have a great deal of land, what I lack are enough strong hands. In particular, I'm interested in clearing both sides of the Old Quarry Road. If you can secure the area, I shall happily grant you an estate and pay for the labor to have it cleared."
    Last edited by Nefarion Xid; 2016-12-10 at 11:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

Before long, the Tian-Min woman returned to the inn as well, with a massive coil of rope around one shoulder, a grappling hook dangling from one end of it. She was either going on a subterranean trip or else taking up a life of vigilante crime fighting. Either way, she brightened when she spotted Elias and Ellarie, "Aha! There you are. So did the Baroness cave, or did she only sort of cave?"
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2016-12-10 at 10:39 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229

Eren

"...that is a LOT of copper. Hopefully the local money-changer or Abadarians will be willing to exchange some of this, because there is no way hauling around wealth in this form will be viable in the long run."

Eren, along with the help of anyone else who had come, began scooping the coinage into his back, and began to make the trips back and forth to the Wise Piper, so as to have a more convenient location to transport the coinage to whoever, if anyone, would be willing to exchange for it. He focused on procuring the most valuble items first, secreting the emeralds in his belt pouch for later, before dealing with the mass of copper pieces.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Eren will do the actions described above. Once all the loot has been transported back, he will try to make contact with the local Abadarians to see how much of the copper they'd be willing to exchange for silver or gold pieces (latter preferable).

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

Earlier...

Getting the attention of the resident clerk, Elias set about drafting his petition to the Baroness for Hunclay's estate. However, as the man wrote, he sniffed out a warning.

"I don't think you have much of a leg to stand on, sadly. We've pulled Master Hunclay's papers form the Records Hall and it seems he has a first cousin."

This took Elias off guard.

"Really? He never mentioned any family."

"Yes, a fellow in Yanmass by the name of Dalton Frist. Apparently they got on well enough for Master Hunclay to bequeath the entirety of his estate to Frist in the event of his death. And, I'm quoting here, "What the devil do I care who it goes to? I'm dead, aren't I? My blasted cousin, I suppose."

The clerk stopped writing and looked up.

"I understand the relationship between master and apprentice, of course. If there are some effects, spellbooks or magical-what-have-you that you believe you're entitled to, we may have some room to work there?"

"Perhaps the Baroness will see fit. I am left in something of a tenuous state without Master Hunclay to complete my training, but I had hoped to put down roots here and provide Belhaim with what skills I posess. I suppose I shall hope for the best."

Elias reached out to pay the man, and as the Abadaran took the coins he leaned forward with a hopeful smile.

"It's likely that Master Frist will simply wish to sell the estate and its contents. I'm to understand he's rather well-to-do and shouldn't want to leave Yanmass to deal with all this himself."

"Perhaps. I suppose I will have to wait and see. I don't imagine word will be sent until the Spring thaw, in any case."

"We've sent word by pigeon. Hopefully we'll have a reply within ... two weeks?"

"Ah, well, then I won't have as long to wait. Thank you for your time, Banker."

"Did you want the written petition? You can fill in which items you think you should inherit. Then if you talk to the baroness, she could intercede on your behalf."

"Yes, I'll take it, thank you."

Now...

Eyebrow quirking in amusement at Kiyoko's extensive preparations, Elias could only shrug as she asked after the Baroness.

"I can say nothing other than the fact our services are not required. We'll have to find some other way to spend our time."

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

Nodding as though that result was expected, the warrior tilted her head to one side. "So... spelunking? Or a social call to a certain friend?"

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

Elias

Standing, Elias shook his head.

"Our friend can wait. For now, let me get our new friend and we can enjoy a bit of a walk."

He ascended the stairs, knocking on Maffei's door and beckoning her to adventure.

Spoiler
    Show

If one were on drugs.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

After the group took their leave of the Baroness, Cassandra headed about her business, visiting the town's leatherworks as well as the butcher and general store for dried meat and potatoes. She packed the bundles onto Cyril (who seemed none too happy about the situation) and swung up into the saddle. Conall, her new wolf companion, led the procession, rushing ahead to investigating things and drawing stares from townsfolk who likely mistrusted the sight of a wolf in town. "Heel, Conall," Cassandra instructed, hoping those who saw her commanding the wolf would realize he meant no harm. "Well, Deputy," she said to Yagenas. "We are about to find out if diplomacy works with kobolds. I do hope they agree to the Baroness' demand to relinquish Deputy Antilles."

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Elias

He smiled.

"I can understand why. I did see the Baroness, but she decided against my plan. Unfortunate, but there's little to be done about it now. I'm sure we'll fine other ways to spend the day."

Ellarie's smile faltered slightly in commiserative disappointment.

"There seems to be no end of interesting ways to spend the day in Belhaim." She smiled as Kiyoko walked in the door and made her way over to them. Ellarie's eyebrows raised at the heavy-duty gear the tiefling was sporting on her shoulder. Oh my, this was going to be an interesting day. She nodded as Kiyoko outlined the two options for activities that Ellarie had also pinpointed for the day.

"A walk sounds just lovely. I have just the thing for a walk in cold." She went to her room and stashed her lute back in her chest and returned wearing her armor and her new black bear cloak.

"Daylight's wasting!"
    She spoke enthusiastically, suddenly eager to be off after her tranquil morning.
    #Notallinfluencers

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Yagenas

"Yes, that would be nice. Though atleast my firearm is in working condition once more if they decide they rather like taking free stuff and want to take more." he said whilst eyeing Cassandra's new wolf companion "So, uh, where'd you get the wolf? Midnight escapades?"
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra & Yagenas

The pair, along with a horse and a wolf, made their way down the Old Quarry Road to the kobolds' den. The trip was uneventful except for when Cyril's weight caused a segment of road to give way and tumble down the incline. Decades of rapid freezes and thaws thanks to this region's sporadic weather had indeed left the roads in a terrible shape; in places, the flagstones sat atop hollow pockets where the material beneath had washed away. Cyril was thankfully sure footed, but Cassandra could see how people lost wagon wheels and found themselves stranded in winter.

Arriving at the ramp down into the quarry, the two saw no sentries, but a shrill voice called out from behind the standing stones in broken Taldane, "Far 'nuff! Talk talk or go home!"

Elias & The Harem Comedy Players

Following the clues in Hunclay's journal, the party made their way a mile north to the wizard's secret cache. As one of perhaps dozens of caves in the region worn out by a long disappeared river, it was unlikely that anyone could have found this place without extreme dedication or luck. Along the way, the party was harried by the howling of wolves. While the pack seemed to follow them closely, none ever made an appearance. No one would ever venture in here without the promise of reward.

A wide, shallow pond stands here, fed by a creek from the west. It floods the mouth of the cave, making it impossible to enter without sloshing through foot-deep freezing water.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Kiyoko

"And yet... still better than auntie Munasukaru's place."
    Kiyoko quipped, knowing that her companions would have no idea who that was (for which she was grateful). Instead of elaborating, the tiefling hopped right into the nasty cold water and splashed her way forward. She made a face at the discomfort, but otherwise seemed unafraid of frostbite or hypothermia.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellarie

Ellarie cast Kiyoko a doubtful look with a raised eyebrow.

"Remind me to decline any invitations of supper I get from Auntie Munasukaru." She glanced around in desperate search for a way around the freezing water, but not finding any, she followed Kiyoko into the pool. She took a sharp intake of breath as the chill of the water hit her with force. She looked forward into the mouth of the cave, but she could not see anything within it's dark depths, contrasted as it was with the bright sunlight it was outlined in.
    #Notallinfluencers

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

Cassandra

"I have prepared an orison that should allow me to fix your weapon, should it break again," Cassandra offered. "As for Conall," she began, glanced at the young wolf romping through the snow, "While you were bearing Deputy Darklighter home, I found the wolf following after. He was...strangely inquisitive for a lone wolf, and I felt a sort of pull toward him. It is difficult to explain, but I believe he is meant to travel with me. Please do not shoot him; he is not likely to bite unless provoked." She favored the deputy with a slight smile. "But then, are we not the same way?"

When the two reached the quarry, Cassandra eyed the cave and its surrounding area, looking for sentries. Seeing none, she urged Cyril forward until the shout came. Directing her attention toward the the origin of the voice, Cassanra replied back, "We come from the Baroness of Belhaim with gifts and news of peace. We wish to speak with Night Tail."
    Last edited by Othniel; 2016-12-11 at 05:54 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Cassandra & Yagenas

"Gifts?" one kobold foolishly poked his head out from cover. "Stay stay! Tree! No move move!" Cassandra gathered that doubling a verb served as an imperative when the creatures were forced to use the common Taldane.

Five minutes passed. Eventually two more kobolds emerged and took cover behind the standing stones. After Cassandra reiterated what she wanted, the kobold with better Taldane spoke up. "Bring your gifts down and we'll talk. The male stays where he is and puts his thunder-stick on the ground where we can see it!"