New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Eternal Winter IC 4

"Wait," Alizarin says. "You want to go flying around the city looking for Johann, looking for the rider... but I thought you had no more arcane power. When you finally come face to face with Gan Cean, what then will you do?"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    sorry for the absence: final days of prepping up thesis presentation and exam week as well

Johann see Eneas running to the pelorite temple and look at Dante, the Troll and dead Baliarth.

"Who knew that dullahan would give chase. I think we did kick the hornet's nest. Good. We are getting close to Glacielheim and they must be getting desperate. What's your name again, Troll? Do you think you can drag Baliarth's body to the pelorite chapel? Staying here in the cold will do no good"
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Eneas just nods Mage! I'm going to get Father Aenar! be back soon, prepare our defenses somehow.

Eneas Runs on the semifrozen ground towards the Dukes Palazzo...

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Run action as long as Eneas can, he will try to start removing his armor hastly. Either while running or as soon as the palazzo's guards call Aenar. Endurance check (1d20+6)[26] Boots of the winterland allow him to run on snow or ice

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

@Raikou: Xander and Silas both toss a pair of feathers into the air and they begin to levitate as Tarith and his rogues begin working on the door and you call on the your own powers of the arcane and catch up with them several feet above the bloodied tavern floor.

Silas smiles as he hands you Johann's wand.

"You are spent, as are we, but you might be of more use with this than Xander and I at this point. The fight against Barbegazi has left me hanging by a thread when it comes to sheer blasting power and the few spells I have are tactical.

Xander looks down at Tarith and adjusts his glasses.

"Same here. That jaebrin stole my most powerful spells to use against Johann and the others, but we cannot simply stand by the sidelines.""

@Alizarin: Xander flies out of the inn and Silas listens to your question as he sighs and looks at the open road, covered in frost.

"We have very little arcane power remaining, Alizarin. Truth be told, I am very much dry when it comes to spells, however...""

Silas looks down at Cecile, who has placed the cradle down on the floor as she helps quickly rebuild the broken door.

"... to stay here and wait for that rider or whoever else comes and watch by the sidelines is even worse.

This isn't the first time that Justcrown has been in danger, you know.

Sinister organizations have attempted to thwart peace in this duchy. A power hungry hextorite once tried to seize the town as well.

Undead have crawled from those frozen woods a year ago.

And I have been literally turned to dust. And yet, I am willing to defend my home. Just like I am sure you would yours. I will tell you again, what Xander mentioned earlier: You need not come.

Will we accomplish something? I do not think so. But if we can at least delay Gan Ceann and let others strike him down, then at least I can go to the Great Library, knowing that those that cannot defend themselves here were not left unprotected."

And with those words, the spent mage flies out the inn and takes to the frozen skies.

@Eneas: With new and old friends to help against this galloping menace, you sprint down the frozen dark streets of Justcrown, your body like a steel wall against the shards of ice and frost that form around your face, hair and chest.

The silent blue and black buildings watch with blackened windows as you dart past them. Light is very dim here as the wind howls in your ear, almost mocking your attempts at any kind of defense against an enemy that has been sent with the express purpose of eliminating all of you.

There is an old meaning for such a foe, learnt once by chance out at sea:

A punishment or defeat that is deserved and cannot be avoided.

That was taught to you by a cleric of Cuthbert, who happened to be sailing that day towards the Vinessian Archipelago aboard your ship.

But what was the name of the word? And damn be him and his teachings:

You don't deserve a punishment. On the contrary, you are punishing those that have committed atrocities towards this town, the woods and who knows what else.

And you will not fall for this Rider. Never again.

Although you cannot see the duke's palazzo, you can see the massive frozen gate with the emblem of a Hippogriff emblazoned in frozen bronze on the center and a massive chain and padlock wrapped around it.

A small wooden kiosk has been built outside and is boarded up shut, except for a small window, big enough for someone to look in or out.

Not the most defensive of places, but big enough to harbor a couple of people.

Nearly breaking the window as you yell inside and wake up the two guards, who had been sleeping back to back and sharing a pelt to protect themselves from the frost, you issue orders from Sister Rosalind and it takes them a few seconds to process all the information as they look at each other and play rock, paper scissors to see who is to leave the comfort of such a small house hole and open the massive gate for you.

It's one of them that nearly freezes over as he hoards the entire pelt and wraps himself in it as he fumbles with a large key and with a grunt, opens the padlock and asks you to push the gate inwards as ice falls at your feet and on your head as he points to the l;eft of a large frozen garden and small private forest filled with poplar trees, all bereft of leaves due to this freak weather.

And it is a modest two story house on a small white hill that opens its doors to you as Aenar welcomes you inside and listens to your tale as he grabs a cloak and doesn't even bother to put on his armor, taking only his thick night PJ's, boots, his mace and his ever present holy symbol around his neck.

"As if a Slaad Lord wasn't enough! Lead the way to the others, Aenar! I have faced that rider in the forest before. The soldiers here will be of no use against him.

But I have fought him before- we can end him if we work together."

@Dante, Johann & Giles: With Baliarth very much dead, the massive troll carries his corpse on his back and tromps by your side down the cold road towards the Cuthbertine Fortress, which has no soldiers guarding the portcullis outside as this one lowers and two people come out, fully geared:

"Inquisitor Levasseur. I thought you had left Justcrown already. And Johann Crawford, Silas' colleague.

We are aware of the creature that rides through the duchy, thanks to Master Spencer. What I would like to know is...""

@Giles: An inquisitor of the Cudgel, can't mistake them.

The dark armor, the cape, that heavy mace. The air of superiority.

And this one, like the other Cuthbertine you are familiar with, has an apprentice. However, unlike the Rat you worked for, hers is anything but lanky:

The inquisitor points her finger at you and the corpse you drag on your large back.

"Are you sure that is the only menace Justcrown faces? And why is it here?"

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Raikou watches to wizards start to fly away, and hurries after them.

Up up and away!!

As they all take to the frozen skies above the small town, the halfling calls out to them.

So, where to now?
    "Now you'll see some real magic!"

Raikou Stormborn Thunder Incarnate and his elemental familiar Cyrus

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Alizarin really didn't want to go back out there... He'd already tried to take his shots at Gan Cean. He'd already been scared senseless by his overwhelming fear aura, had been lashed, shot at, nearly had his life extinguished outright. All to buy the others some precious small amount of time. ...hopefully, so that they could regroup, formulate a better plan, and do far better than he could ever hope to.

He didn't want to die, much less throw it away in vain in a pathetic attempt at defeating an insurmountable foe. He just wanted to curl up by a nice fire, hopefully with dreams not full of nightmares, and continue on his war with Winter in a way he at least knew he had a slight chance of victory. He had earned his keep already, hadn't he?

However, the words of Silas still inspired him, somewhat. What if Alizarin could make a difference in those grand plans Johann must be coming up with, but wasn't there to help? What if all his comrades in arms, and even the whole town perished? Alizarin knew he had one little spell he might be able to cast that could help someone. And eventually one of his arrows would be bound to hit the dullahan... would it be enough?

He didn't know, but as long as Johann and the others were out there, and these fools were going out as well, he may as well come too. He wouldn't be able to live with himself if he at least didn't try a bit more.

"Wait up, I'm coming!"

And so Alizarin took a potion out of his bag, gripping it and bow in both small hands, his arms huddled awkwardly together as he flew, trying to keep them warm.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Are we even going to try being stealthy?

And for future reference, intact arrows:
    (1d2)[2]
    (1d2)[1]
    (1d2)[1]
    (1d2)[1]

Only the arrow that bounced off Gan Cean's horse's butt survived. Probably hiding in the bar somewhere.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2016-12-03 at 11:30 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

@Alizarin: The idea of going out there and fighting this monster...

Only by Trithereon's Grace have you been able to withstand the Rider's malevolent spells and, were you not a fey, his whip would've flayed your flesh, just like it did with Baliarth.

You could probably stay at the inn. Help the rogues fix the door and light a fire. You certainly earned a room for life in this place. Never mind food and drink...

But all this would just be a placebo. You could probably get a few days of well earned rest and then...

Then everything freezes and The Court of Sorrows claims it all. The Eternal Winter is not stopping, even with the Champions of Summer being called to Oerth.

Even they might have a hard time besting the forces around Glacielheim. And Johann and the others mentioned marching against Jottunheim and Gartenheim.

Because of you, the forces of Summer are here... but you will not allow this second rate rider to end your life and hurt so many others.

Even if it takes one shot... or a million.

You will put Gan Ceann down... you have to. He has marked you as a killer of Unseelie. he isn't wrong in that regard.

You did put that final arrow through Barbegazi's heart. A powerful fey courtier of Winter... or so he liked to boast.

The others have been through the grinder as well, that much is clear. If those sapphires are any indication, who knows how many mighty battles they have waged before you came?

And this is your home. Not only the woods, but these lands, given by the Seelie to the first men that came here, looking for a place to settle.

The cold hits your face as you try to catch up with the three mages.

What will they do without an archer, anyways? They will very much need you.

@Raikou & Alizarin: The roofs are slanted and completely white as Xander stops beside a frozen weathervane and asks to halt as he grips his staff and fidgets with one of the ends of it, exposing a chamber and a small wand inside, which he takes out and motions to the group.

"I have nearly expended the charges on this one during my fights in Gloomheim and Helheim. Raiklou, Alizarin, if you need any healing, let me know. I have six such charges. they aren't much, but best to face this guy with less wounds.

An Ultimate Magus, after all, has some knowledge over all magic, be it arcane or divine.

Alizarin, you are a rogue, aren't you? I trust your training in magical manipulation is as good as your aim and stealth? There are only ten charges left in this wand...""

Xander turns his staff around and revels a second chamber on the opposite end.

"Remember Krystalheim and divinations? This wand was useless then. But now that Barbegazi is gone, you can make a better use of it. Let me know. Otherwise, I have two or three orbs I can throw at this guy.""

Silas lands on the white roof and checks around his own foot prints and then notices large horse shaped ones.

"He was here, alright. Using the rooftops to gain a better view. How is he even seeing through this blizzard? who knows.

But I do know where we ought to be headed: Inquisitor Kalypsia is aware of the situation. She is a devout follower of Cuthbert and is a no nonsense priestess of the Cudgel.

She is... well. Let's just say that she's dealt with her fair share of monsters before. The quicker with fly there, the quicker we can help.""

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

The mage look at the troll carryong the dead dragon and then to Kalypsia.

"Him? Dont worry, he's good", he wave to Giles. Well, he couldnt say that for sure, but he had hopes in it. "The dulahan is the problem here. Remember the kidnapping of napping kids? He was one who helped the kidnapper".

He take a pause and look to Dante.
    "Maybe your friend can tell more maybe?"
    Ruven Feathers, tengu opportunist with a keen eye for gold and an accute scent for death.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Alizarin squints at the wand through his clouded breath and the falling snow. "Oh, healing magic in that wand? That's not a bad idea. Speaking of which..."

The pixie reaches into his satchel and pulls out a rather worn looking wand as well. It looks kind of like a twig. "I've got something similar in this wand as well, but it's nearly depleted. Activating it is a synch though. What is that other one? Some divination you said??"

He racked his brain trying to think. "Oh. Is it that one that pretty much guarantees a hit?" That would be great for trying to shoot Gan Cean! And then subsequently earning his ire and dying. The better question is: how to use it with a weapon that requires both hands?

Alizarin heals himself a bit with his own wand:

(1d8+1)[2]
    (1d8+1)[5]

Then he takes the other one presumably that heals. "Raikou?"
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2016-12-04 at 01:00 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70

Raikou lands on the roof with the two wizards and watches as Xander pulls out the wand.

When he asks if the halfling needs healing, Raikou looks down at his own wounds, still fresh from the fight with Gan Ceann but a few minutes prior. If he was going to be able to survive even one hit, he needed more healing.

Hmmm, seeing as how I'm pretty much one whip-crack from becoming a bloody mess on these roofs again... hit me up with whatever you got Puck, X. Might be at least enough for me to run away again if he surprises us.

Maybe we should go find this Inquisitor lady. If she's anything like Dante she might be able to heal more, and suggest what to do next.
    Last edited by Niwrad; 2016-12-04 at 01:16 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

"Sure," Alizarin says, healing Raikou a bit with his own wand.

(1d8+1)[2]
    (1d8+1)[2]

This thing was going to crumble to dust any time now...

He then said, "I'll take some healing too, please."

Alizarin pondered a bit while all this was going on. It would be somewhat... difficult to use both a bow and a wand effectively at the same time. If only he had some magic doodad thing to combine his bow with a wand. But still. Maybe Raikou could make better use of that magic, to ensure his spells hit. Or, as Xander said, he had orbs of his own...

Hmm... this could still work though...

"Well, if you're sure you don't want to use it yourself..." Alizarin said hesitantly.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

@Alizarin & Raikou: Xander calls both of you to the roof and has both land close to him.

"Six charges. I will divide them evenly between both, unless you deem it necessary for one to get more than the other. Stay still...""

And so, Xander Corillian, magus of Rel Mord, activates the wands, as easily as a priest would and grants both of you some much needed healing as your wounds patch up... but not completely.

The first to receive such healing is the halfling.

Spoiler: CLW x3
    Show
    27 HP healed

And then, the pixie.

Spoiler: CLW x3
    Show
    35 HP healed

With the wand spent, Xander places it beside the weather vane and takes off, not before giving Alziarin or Raikou- whoever wants it- the wand of True Strike.

"It isn't much, but until we meet with Kalypsia, we won't have that much healing available and will rely on speed, should Gan Ceann be around here.""

And as the four of you fly above the rooftops, Silas and Xander focus on a simple divination to detect evil presences.

Silas keeps flying a few feet ahead, clearing his eyes from the snow.

"Kalyspia is a hard and stern inquisitor, but she isn't a tyrant. Many would consider her that way, but that's just her nature and upbringing in the church of the Cudgel...

She is actually a warm and kind person, despite the misleading title of inquisitor, which evokes, naturally, negative ideas in many people... past company included.

In battle, Kalypsia lives up to her title and foolish be the man or beast that threatens this duchy, for she is never alone- you will meet someone who, although not much in the way of words, is rather efficient at disposing of enemies- Gan Ceann included.""

Xander wipes the frost from his glasses and looks ahead at his colleague.

"You think he'll be enough?""

"He's not subject to human frailty. From what has been observed, Gan Ceann is able to weaken the body with his lashes. Lord Cinderbolt has no blood or organs that can be tainted by such whip and, being a construct, his skin is just as tough as that of Alizarin's.

And because Gan Ceann is a fey, he should not be able to hurt him much.... I hope. Let's speed up.""

@Johann, Dante & Giles: Kalypsia walks past the portcullis with her automaton ally and heavy chains close the gate behind her, keeping any people inside the Cuthbertine compound safe and looks up at Giles as the snow lands on her head and shoulders.

"He better be. I have been tasked with keeping this duchy safe. I do not need monsters running around, devouring people...

Making them disappear... and why does he have a dead dragon worn as a grim cloak? This will not do. Once the threat is assessed and dealt with, I will require paperwork. Even if you are friends with Master Silas, this is beyond normal.

I need to keep the peace in this place and I have reason to suspect that Dullahan is here not because of those under my care...""

Kalypsia and her metal bodyguard walk into the street and look around at the buildings and both ends of the road.

"Cannot sense anything beyond my senses as an inquisitor. Father Aenar had spoken of evil fey beyond the South Gate. Same stories as Ambassador Dietrich.

You need to understand: whatever ails the woods beyond, is not Justcrown's jurisdiction. Because the enemy is here, I will lend aid, but again, I have reasons to suspect, given Silas' hurried message, that it is not here because of me or anyone under my lawful auspices.

It is here because of you. And if that is the case- and I have a strong case to make for it- you better make sure, all of you here, that whatever you are doing in the woods, says in the woods. Am I clear?""

The zenythri inquisitor walks across the street and knocks on the Pelorite chapel as heavy steps can be heard coming towards the door.

"I will also have you know: this isn't a place were dragons are a common sight. Unless you plan to skin it and have Master Silas work the smithy for its scales, I cannot have a giant beast- noble as it may be- soaring around the duchy.

People are scared as it is already."

The door opens and Kalyspia takes a few steps back as Rosalind, the Ruby Knight, comes out fully decked in armor and holding a beautiful blade.

The armor has the insignia of a bear upon its breast plate, the same symbol that is engraved ornately around the blade's hilt.

"Madame inquisitor! I had not...""

Kalypsia bows to the Ruby Knight as the metal man stands in place- who knows if it is even turned on- the guy has no pulse whatsoever, except for low grinding gears within its golden plated body.

The zenythri does a military salute and looks at her gear, noticing the sword.

"So it is true- the famed Brunhausser Blade, wielded by the Exorcist Cornelius of the order of the Archpaladin. I heard his relics ended here. Never thought the Pelorian Church would claim them.""

Rosalind grips the blade and looks at the engraving.

"It carries a long tale of sorrow and loss, madam. I was the last to see Lord Brunhausser alive and...

And he would have liked for it to serve its purpose in worthy hands. Mine are far from it, but given what we face, it just might come in handy.""

@Dante: It's a flap of wings from above the chapel that brings forth a very familiar face as it lands next to Rosalind:

"My apologies again... I am embarrassed to always leave when that Rider shows up, Dante. Rosalind has once more calmed my fears.

I will not off again. I promise.""

And then, Aurora looks at the troll and grips her great sword in both hands as she looks at what the tusked brute carries and tears roll down her beautiful red cheeks.

"You killed him! That beast slew Baliarth!""

Kalypsia looks at Aurora and bows.

"And we have an Archon amongst us. Welcome to Justcrown... the dragon's name is Baliarth, then? I too, am interested in knowing what exactly happened here.""

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

"Thanks," Alizarin said with a smile after he was healed, though perhaps it wasn't his happiest smile. He was still freezing out here. He wished he had prepared a spell or had asked for one to endure this weather too, earlier this day. It would still be active, even now... (no wait, Barbigazi dispelled him lol)

"Hm, warm and kind. I hope so," Alizarin said skeptically. Though he had met "inquistors" before... they never seemed to be in agreement, to put it lightly.

"It sounds like this, uh, person, might have a fighting chance. But Gan Cean isn't here for him... I'm sad to say, the rider's actual targets are quite vulnerable to his lashings, and he has quite an impressive reach, is quite fast... oh, and that fear. That stupid magic fear!" Alizarin complained. "I've been near him for a bit now. He isn't that scary! But sometimes, he does something... I hope this lord person, for all their lack of organs, doesn't feel fear too..."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2016-12-04 at 09:23 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Johann hear Kalypsia talking about jurisdiction and legal stuff and just shake his head, "Who got jurisdiction over the Winter?"

Seeing Aurora returning, Johann smile and greet her.
    "I'm glad you're alive and well", he then look to dead Baliarth and Inquisitor Kalypsia, "This dragon is my pet and friend. He died at the hands of the dulahan, protecting those in the Foaming Wench. This kind troll-person is doing me a favor in carrying him here, so we can bring back this noble bronze dragon back to life".

He look to Rosalind, "You dont have any Revivify prepared for the day, do you? That would be handy".

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

"High Inquisitor Kalypsia Gastin, forgive me, that dullahan is here for us. I did leave Justcrown already, as did my pupil, Eveline, whose corpse I carry on a bag. I believe we could only succeed in this war so much before drawing attention.

This troll is merely the shape of someone we found in the Foaming Wench. A resourceful warrior who fought by our side against the dullahan who is roaming the streets of this Duchy right now."

He looks at Kalypsia, waiting for any sign of symphaty to their poor situation. But Kalypsia doesn't look like someone you ask for help when you need it. She looks more like someone you'd rather not see if you did something wrong, or else she would make you pay in kind for your transgressions.

Transgression like, bringing a Dullahan to Justcrown, willing or not.

It's about time I take out Eveline's corpse out of the Haversack, not the proper way to store her remains

He takes her out of the bag and carries her in his arms.

"Here, High Inquisitor. Just a quick gaze at the price we are paying. She is one. The dragon that lays on the troll's back is another."

"(...)You need to understand: whatever ails the woods beyond, is not Justcrown's jurisdiction. Because the enemy is here, I will lend aid, but again, I have reasons to suspect, given Silas' hurried message, that it is not here because of me or anyone under my lawful auspices."
    "That will do. Thanks for you aid, High Inquisitor."

Rosalind enters the room and Dante can't help but feel relieved. She carries that warmth around her that the zenythri Inquisitor certainly lacks.
    Also, Dante has a thing for gingers.

"Rosalind, good to see you! This dullahan has been most unforgiving."

After cumplimenting the Ruby Knight, he remembers one important piece of info.

"Before I forget, one more thing to add. We fought Gan Cean and I tried to dispel him. Some partial success, but one spell lingered. Haste. That happens sometimes when dispelling. But I'm afraid it was no simple fail. I believe that this particular spell was cast by someone else. If not a more powerful foe, certainly a more powerful caster. Beware."

An even better sigh than Rosalind, Aurora flies down, alive.

"My apologies again... I am embarrassed to always leave when that Rider shows up, Dante. Rosalind has once more calmed my fears.

I will not off again. I promise.""
    "Embarassed? Don't be. He has an unnatural, impressive aura of fear around him, of that I'm certain. He is supposed to scare not only the common people, but even the mightiest warriors. What's important is that you are here, now, and alive. And hopefully, with some of your spells."

"You killed him! That beast slew Baliarth!"
    "Let's trust that beast for now.

About the one who killed Baliarth, well, it could be said it was me. The troll was ready to defend the tavern, enduring vicious blows from that vile dullahan, when I decided to switch him with our draconic friend. Baliarth was willing to take a few hits from someone else, like he usually is, except this time those few hits could flay a Titan effortlessly, and so we lost Baliarth. A unhealthy mix of Gan Ceans brutallity with my own clumsy miscalculations, with Baliarth's own selflessness tossed in.

Which brings me the matter of ressurecting him. I left the wand with Raikou, and I hope he is still safe in the Foaming Wench. Once we get that wand, we might be able to bring Baliarth back.

And before you ask about the others, last time I saw, Eneas was running toward the pelorite temple and Alizarin was engaged in a dangerous fight with the dullahan."

Aurora looks at the Crimsom Inquisitor, she is also relieved to see that he and the others are alive, although Eneas and Alizarin might be in deep trouble.

"What about the one you carry right now? Eveline is staying dead?"

He looks down, to his pupil face. Serene, apparently oblivious to the terrors happening right now. He could almost envy her.

"She will stay dead for a little longer, yes. Right now we need fighting power. She? She will rest. Later we discuss what to do with her. But I'm bringing her back to life, although she is not joining us anymore in the woods. This is not a task that a pupil should be subjected to."
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Nicollo Corleone - The Scoundrel Malconvoker

Dante Levasseur - The Crimsom Inquisitor (avatar) and his Lumi cohort, Eveline Dawn now being followed by an old acquaintance, Aurora, the voice of Barachiel.

Minaerva - The Wild Caller from Rokiri Island.

Requiem Macabre Doc

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

@Alizarin: Xander flies beside you as the frost keeps layering on his glasses and the magus must constantly be wiping the ice off them.

"Well... Kind and Warm aren't the first things that come to mind with Inquisitor Kalypsia.

I would peg her more as Dedicated and... Protective. Yes, that is an accurate description. But to some, like Silas, she would display such qualities.

Who knew a Zenythri could be swayed?""

Silas looks back at Xander as the magus smiles at him and speeds up to be by his side.

"Well, it is true: Cuthbertines aren't known for being nice. You actually got her to smile once. And that is a feat all on its own.""

Justcrown's finest mage gives Xander a stern look and then looks back at you and Raikou.

"Lord Cinderbolt is Kalypsia's Guardian Inevitable. A Kolyarut. An extraplanar construct from Mechanus' Nirvana.

Normally, agents of Law and Order at a Cosmic scale, this one has been attached to the inquisitor's ancestors for generations. He will not leave Kalypsia's side and for that, we ought to be grateful.

In battle, Lord Cinderbolt is relentless, much like Gan Ceann, but he has the added advantage of being a machine. A thinking one, but a machine nonetheless.

The dullahan's whip and powers should not be able to affect him as much as us.""

@Johann: Kalypsia looks at you and then at the frozen buildings and roads as her metal man stands completely rigid in the snow.

"A freak natural accident, to be sure, but not one that concerns the duchy... until now, it would seem.""

Rosalind walks outside in the cold as Aurora flies above the chapel and lands to greet everyone as she nods to you and the Ruby Knight takes out a wand of her own.

"Whose hurt the most? I do not know how much more time we have before that Rider catches up with you, so Dante, pass it around and heal whoever needs it. The wand is nearly full, with the ability to heal your most grievous wounds. But make it fast, though...""

@Dante: It's the Cure Serious Wounds spell, trapped in a wand, easy to use for someone like you.

You haven't been hurt that much by Gan Ceann. Not upon arriving to Justcrown.

And then you address Kalypsia about staying and being somewhat responsible for the current situation.

The inquisitor looks at one of the nearby buildings as a complete stranger moves the curtains and looks through the frozen window and is quick to close the curtains again.

"Good job, Inquisitor Levasseur. Now your problem has become mine. And because of your reluctance to leave upon fetching Sir Gaula, you have lost your apprentice to those woods...""

Cinderbolt begins walking a few steps down the road and stops as he looks around at the eerie cold darkness and Kalyspia kneels to check dead Eveline.

"What did you expect, picking up a fight of this magnitude? Alone? That there would not be Retribution? My church is well aware of such a concept. Perhaps Jasidans are not too keen on it... and its repercussions.

But what is done, is done. Now we have to deal with this issue here and now. Unfortunately, we cannot choose were to fight him. So, if you and your friends... and the troll, have any protections you might want to cast. Any information you'd like to share before this fey finds us, now would be the time.""

@Eneas: Aenar keeps up the pace with you, not constrained to heavy armor as both race down the cold streets.

"Rosalind may not be as seasoned as I in the Mysteries of Pelor, but she will be a good ally in this fight. If you have fought him before, you know what he can do.

Steel your mind- stay away from his whip... and when you get the chance, hit him hard.

By the time you arrive back towards the Temple District, Aenar can barely catch his breath as he stalls a few feet behind you, nearly dropping the pelt that provides him with much needed heat. His face blue with red cheeks.

"Hold... hold on. Just a moment. Head up to the group. I need to catch my breath.""

Everyone is here, including a steel skinned priestess and a man made of steel as they take notice of you and the woman raises an eyebrow.

"Another one your friends, Inquisitor Levasseur? Are these all?""
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2016-12-04 at 06:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Raikou flies along the others, as they discuss the lawful Cuthbertines, he pulls out his runestaff and casts two minor protective spells upon himself. They wouldn't help too much, but at this point, every little spell helped.

Spoiler: Some buffs
    Show
    Shield and mage armor

Then, the halfling catches up to Alizarin and smiles.

Hey Puck. You seem to be a pretty good shot with that bow of yours. Lemme give it a little more of a shock and awe factor. Here...

Assuming Alizarin permits...

Spoiler: Energy sub. burning blade
    Show
    His bow now does an extra +1d6 electricity and +2 sonic, plus fortitude DC 21 vs stun for 1 round

Sorry Windstruck, that's about the best I got

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Alizarin continues flying along with the others, the frost on his golden wings gathering more. He lets Raikou cast a spell on his bow, which makes it tingle slightly with electricity. Surely the foe who takes an arrow from this, however, will feel a lot more than that.

"An... 'inevitable'??" he asks, quite perturbed. "A being of pure law and order from Mechanis??" the pixie could do little more than repeat those words dumbfounded.

"Uh.. I see..." Alizarin said, though he didn't know what an inevitable was, and he thought maybe he briefly heard of Mechanis but didn't know much about it at all. Still. None of this sounded good. We're talking about a machine man of pure law, something with a body that wasn't natural at all, coming into close proximity with an anarchist pixie, whose vary essence stemmed from dreams, magic, and nature itself.

Alizarin had better keep his distance, that's for sure. It would be like mixing oil and water. No, white phosphorous and water!
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2016-12-04 at 06:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Johann ask for someone to heal some of his wounds and offer the Rod of Bodily Restoration to anyone hurt but either raven or whip.

"This rod can restore some of the damage to the body. I know some have suffered more than me, so use it wisely".

He look at Rosalind and Kalypsia, "This dulahan have a powerful whip that cause terrible bleeding and", he point to Baliarth, "he'll not hesitate to flay anyone who stand his way. He also have a powerful aura of fear that might send many runnign if they're not prepared, so maybe someone shpuld put on Zephyr's former cloak", he look at Raikou, "I think you have it on your bag, right? That standart can supress fear and stunning, so it will be good aggainst this fight. A Calm Emotions or Remove Fear spell are also good ones aggainst him".

He get ready for the dulahan and stay quiet.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

@Johann: With Aenar joining in and breathing heavily and the group mostly assembled, you take Rosalind's wand and use it on yourself, healing most of your injuries.

Kalypsia listens to your description on the foe and looks at Lord Cinderbolt, who walks around the perimeter of the street, keeping an eye out for the road and rooftops.

"Fear is not something that shall concern me or Lord Cinderbolt, Master Johann.

He does not know the meaning of it...and I make sure I am well protected against it. Ever since the children began disappearing from the duchy.

As for the flaying... that is a problem. Good to know. Needless to say, he must have the advantage of reach. We can work around that. father Aenar?""

The bulky pelorite wraps the bear pelt around his body and takes a few clumsy steps in the snow.

"I told you, madam inquisitor: that rider is a threat. I have the spells to make sure he isn't, though. Pelor gave me insight on the Dullahan's weakness the first time we fought him in the Fey Woods.""

The wind rises and becomes that much colder as Kalypsia's black hair covers her face from the gust.

"A malevolent force has made itself present! Be on your guard, everyone!""

@Dante, Giles, Eneas & Johann: The wind blows with brutal intensity down the road as a distant neighing can be heard and Lord Cinderbolt jogs towards Kalypsia and his metal hand begins to crackle with black energy.

"Threat detected...""

Rosalind takes a stand and holds the Brunhausser blade with one hand and her holds the holy symbol with the other as she begins to emit a vibrant radiance.

"I feel it too...""

Aenar grips his mace and he too begins to concentrate as both Pelorites create a brilliant golden radiance around them and stand tall and proud.

He isn't even bothering to conceal himself this time.

The hoofs echo down the street and people screaming can be heard inside the many buildings as Kalypsia keens her eyes and looks in the direction of the panic and gets her own mace ready.

So... you have decided to stop running? Have you chosen to accept your fate and be dragged down the Lonely Road?

Or is this a defiant stance you are taking against the Court of Sorrows...

... albeit the last one?

He's not too far away, as the frozen winds seem to part as he trots casually and halts about forty feet away from the group.

Kalypsia looks at him and then at all of you.

"Father Aenar, my apologies:

I had taken you for a deluded man. A drunken fool, even. But it would seem that this tale is very real.""

Aenar grips his mace and looks at Gan Ceann.

"You can gift me with a fine bottle of wine, High inquisitor... once this is done and over with.""

Rosalind says nothing as she fixes eyes with the Rider.

Gan Ceann's steed neighs loudly as the cries of panic can be heard from the buildings close to him.

"I have no qualms with new faces. Get out of my way! I have no need for more travelers to the Lonely Road... but you.""

Gan Ceann points at Aenar.

"You brought down Lady Decarabia, the Fair Queen of the Bog. You will be taken as well for rising against the Court of Sorrows. Red head child, step aside. I have no business with you.

The same goes for you woman...and your silent knight.""

Kalypsia locks eyes with Gan Ceann and raises her voice above the howling winds and panicky voices of the poor townsfolk caught in sheer panic within their own homes.

"I am the Law in this Duchy, and by orders of his Grace and the powers vested by my order, you are banned from this place! Leave now! You only get one such warning.""

The Knight of Sorrow & Blood listens to Kalypsia's talk and his disembodied head laughs as the voices of the panicked townsfolk increases behind their safe walls.

"Mortal... do you even know who you are addressing? I am the Knight of Sorrow & Blood! I have been traveling the roads of Oerth since before you were even born!

I represent the Ancient Ways. The Forgotten and Feared Fey Folk of Olde. And now, at the behest of the Herald of Ice & Snow, I have been summoned to her Court of Sorrows to ensure her claim over these lands and the downfall of Summer, long since established here and defiant of her reign.

You ask me to leave and in so doing, you actually humor me, woman.

If you will not stand aside, then I shall take you as well!""

@Alizarin: Raikou flies next to you and simply runs his hand over Tyranny's Ruin as a slight shock courses through your body.

It isn't much. You are all nearly spent after the grueling days in Krystalheim, but this is what you have.

For good or ill.

Xander nods as he flies next to Silas and the wind chill increases dramatically.

"Yes. An Inevitable. The name is quite scary, huh? Not to worry, Alizarin:

Those constructs are sent to the Prime to make sure certain Universal and Cosmic laws are maintained.

In the case of Kalypsia's Inevitable, a Kolyarut, they make sure oaths are maintained and never broken.

A long time ago, her ancestor...""

Silas clears his throat and Xander wipes the frost off his glasses.

"...right. At any rate, you have nothing to fear from him: they are sent to make sure nobody breaks the Law at a grand scale and, well... unless you've perpetrated a tremendous crime against Existence or have willfully broken an Oath, then you have no reason to fear him.

He's not much of a talker, though. So most of the time, it's like he's not even in the room.""

The group ascends several feet from the rooftops and catch a favorable current, but you still have awhile to go before you can catch up with Johann and the others.

Even the fastest flier cannot match the speed of broken Time & Space, after all.

And that's when, several blocks away, a distant glow of golden light catches your eyes and the winds carry the cries of fear of dozens of people.

He's already engaging them.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2016-12-05 at 12:25 AM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Alizarin points ahead at the glaringly obvious spot of bright light, complete with screams of panic. That's them! C'mon!

With a burst of speed, Alizarin flits through the air faster, and he stops about 150 feet away, give or take, trying to assess not only the road up ahead in which it seemed a fight was about to ensue, but Alizarin's immediate surroundings. He was going to attack the Dullahan at a distance, and he needed a good spot, preferably up high.

When the others catch up to him, Alizarin says, "I'm hanging back, but I'll try to make a good use of your wand. I suppose all I'm good for at this point is shooting arrows anyway. Except one thing:"

Taking a small tuft of lion hair from a small pouch, the pixie makes an elaborate symbol of a lion in the air, which floats to Xander's chest and emblazons itself upon it.

"This will protect you from his fear attack for just a little while. Don't let that stupid pumpkin head scare you! He loves lashing at fleeing foes. Um... well I guess that's it. Good luck."

Spoiler
    Show
    If you'd like, consider that as my action on the first round...?

Initiative: (1d20+7)[9]

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

@Alizarin & Raikou: You fly above the buildings and sure enough, Gan Ceann is down on the street below, with chorus of panicked voices cheering him from behind closed doors and windows.

Johan and the others are down there... but they aren't alone.

@Alizarin: Xander places his hand on your shoulder and smiles as frost covers his glasses and you imbue the symbol of a Lion on his chest.

"If I recall correctly, it was your arrows that brought down Barbegazi. Don't outsell yourself:

In this fight, ranged artillery and quick reflexes will prove to be golden against him. Stay in a safe position and shoot, Alizarin. Never stop shooting.""

And in fact, given your strategic advantage, you can get off a single attack before the Rider notices you as Silas and Xander both take to separate buildings and focus their own arcane power below as Gan Ceann is blasted by a combined effort of the lowly Magic Missile, but in Xander's case, a very powerful one, which causes the Dullahan to nearly fall off his steed as his pumpkin head looks up at the roofs.

"You..."

Silas blows his hand from the arcane smoke as he smiles and winks at Kalypsia.

"Hope we aren't late.""

Xander adjusts his glasses and crosses his arms as he hovers above another building.

"This is as far as you go, Gan Ceann!""

@The Party: The Knight of Sorrow & Blood has not taken this well, as his steed neighs and thrashes in the snow and his entire body blazes with that green ghostly fire.

Unknown to all of you, however, Alizarin and Raikou are around and they can he;p bring this rider down. Hopefully unseen and undetected by him.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2016-12-05 at 01:30 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

The others flew off, while Alizarin found a good spot on a distant roof to perch on. The street was long and straight with a clear shot, and although the falling snow made it rather hazy to see details, he was confident that both the enchantments on his bow and the True Strike spell would negate that.

Settling down into position, he watched with glee as Gan Cean nearly got knocked off his horse. That was some well-deserved karmic retribution right there. And hopefully more would be coming.

Well, if the others were going to start why not me?

But first, Alizarin tries to activate the wand. Maybe he didn't need it.. but... thinking back even to when he recently shot at Gan Cean, he either had some heavy abjurations on him, or some really thick hide.. and now, the pixie's fingers were starting to feel numb. Using the wand of true strike was probably going to be the only way he'd land a hit on the dullahan...

And so, he tried to evoke the wand... and if successful, he sets it down on the snow, getting ready to fire soon.

Spoiler: Use magic device
    Show
    (1d20+15)[29]

Map

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Alizarin Rouge HP: 70/82

AC: 26/20 touch/17 ff (Gan Cean designated for dodge)
    Spell resistance 24
    fort: 17, reflex: 22 (evasion), will: 15

DR: 10/cold iron
    currently visible

Buffs:
    12-Greater Magic Weapon - 10 hours
    Flaming Sword (sub electric)
    True Strike

Other effects:
    Aura of resolve: Immune to compulsions. Allies get +4 morale bonus to their saves vs compulsions.
    Divine health: Immune to all diseases, mundane or magical.
    Trap sense: +1 to reflex and dodge ac vs traps.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2016-12-05 at 01:17 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84

Raikou decides to lay low for now and attempt to avoid attracting Gan Ceann's attention. In his current state, one hit from that deadly whip might be it for him. Besides, he only had one spell left of any significant power, perhaps it was best to save it for the right moment, whenever that may be.

Also, the deadly knight still thought he was dead right...?

With that thought in mind, unlike the two wizards, Raikou attempts to stick to the shadows and alleyways as they near the horseman. Hopefully out of sight for now.

Spoiler: Hiding and waiting
    Show
    Using the roll from the OOC

Attempt to hide (1d20+10)[27]

Hard to show on the map, but he'll be in the alley between the two buildings

MAP
    Last edited by Niwrad; 2016-12-05 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Updating map

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Round 1

@The Party: Gan Ceann's steed neighs loudly and rears up on his hind legs as the pumpkin head glows with cold malice and the steed's' body suffers a radical transformation as fangs grow from the horse, like some wild cat and the Dullahan's chest increases in bulk as does his arms as one grips that bloody bone whip to the point of almost crushing it.

"This time... there is nowhere to run.""

Spoiler: Gan Ceann's Spell
    Show

Bite of the Weretiger

Kalypsia looks at Gan Ceann and then at her Kolyarut.

"Teach this law breaker and murderer the folly of invading Justcrown, my friend. he was given a chance. Not anymore.""

The Inevitable raises his metal hand at the Rider and the black energy that has been concentrating around it begins to swirl at amazing speeds as his gears whirr and grind and in a sudden blast of necromantic energy, Gan Ceann is caught point blank as the steed neighs as the explosion blackens the snow around him and Kalyspia turns around and begins to walk away.

"it's over...""

Is it?

Justcrown's High Inquisitor stops in her tracks and looks back at the Dullahan.

The necromantic energy released by Cinderbolt hasn't affected him in the slightest!

"Stupid mortal. Not long ago, an undead who hid beneath a metal mask attempted something similar.

It did not work then... it will not work now.""

The zenythri looks at her gauntlet and a green arrow draws upon it innately and very quickly as her entire body glows with emerald energy and the sound of perfect cogs working in unison gong around her.

"You may be immune to negative energy. Impressive. And that's not even a spell you have on.""

Kalypsia aims her mace towards Gan Ceann as the light begins to concentrate on her weapon as she's thrown back a few feet as a two blasts of light strike the Rider as his horse thrashes his head around in confusion.

"But do not mistake me for a mortal, Dullahan. I carry the ancestry of Mechanus within me.""

Whatever power she used, it was a combination of the True Strike spell and something else channeled through her body and into her weapon.

A trait her race must have carried and she has honed to perfection.
    Map

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Gan Ceann
    Raikou
    Johann
    Dante & Aurora
    Rosalind & Aenar

Xander
    Giles
    Kalypsia & Cinderbolt
    Eneas
    Silas
    Alizarin

26. - Top - End - #86

Still hidden in the alley and out of sight (hopefully) for now, Raikou hears the sounds of blasting and fighting in the street beyond. He might be mostly out of magic, but there was still a little he could do.

The halfling pulls out a scroll that Johann had given him a few days earlier, a simple divination to help hit.

And as the scroll disappears, a faint white arrow seems to appear on his hand.

Spoiler: True strike
    Show
    move action to pull out the scroll.

standard action to cast

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

@Alizarin: You stay as far as you can, but hopefully still within good shot of Gan ceann, tracing the arrow sigil on your hand and dropping the wand on the snowy roof as you allow the powers of the spell to take over.

Unless you hit really low or the wild northern winds send your arrow astray, you should be able to hit this bastard.

@Raikou: There are few spells left on you now.

Silas and Xander, as well as the inquisitor have already opened fire upon the fey.

Fireworks, indeed, as the street alights in emerald and purple light.

You cannot see Alizarin, but if he flew with you all the way here, he wouldn't have turned tail.

He must be somewhere close.. hopefully.

And now, you must make sure these scrolls Johann wrote down a few days ago are put to good use. Even in large numbers, Gan Ceann alone is a terrifying foe.

You need to make sure every blast counts. Every. Single. One.

Map

Show
    Gan Ceann
    Raikou
    Johann
    Dante & Aurora

Rosalind & Aenar
    Xander
    Giles

Kalypsia & Cinderbolt
    Eneas
    Silas

Alizarin
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2016-12-05 at 03:19 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Eneas moves a few steps ahead...

this ain't going to be pretty. this guy is on a different league.

He slowly points Fenvarel towards gan ceam... the sword must be able to help, it is a risk, a risk of being corrupted, a risk of death, but who cared anymore?

Eneas gather's all his charm into the blade, been a long time since he attempted something similar... a misshap that time

he concentrates on fenvare, concentrates on a ray of brilliant day light, something that hits this dark warrior and drives him away...

Spoiler: action
    Show
    using UMD on fenvarel, activating it blindly (1d20+15)[23]

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Johann look at everyone standing defiantly aggainst Gan Ceann and begin to cast a spell.
    He concentrate the lightning in his hands and take on his archery stance, which he was using a lot lately. Maybe he finnaly saw the beauty on arcane destruction? Maybe Rebgast would be proud.

"Rosalind...", he says aimming for Gan Ceann, "Be careful".

He then unleash three lightning arrows to the dammed dulahan of Forever Alone Avenue.

Spoiler: Moon Bow
    Show
    Let's do it!
    1st (1d20+8)[17] dmg (7d6)[26]
    2nd (1d20+8)[20] dmg (7d6)[27]
    3rd (1d20+8)[13] dmg (7d6)[26]

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

@Johann: You look at Rosalind, who looks like a halfling next to Aenar, as both focus their own Radiance as Pelorites and ask her to be careful as you bring forth a brilliant bow of lightning and aim it at the Lonely Rider.

Gan Ceann keeps walking forward as the screams of the trapped townsfolk keep getting louder behind their safe walls.

It's a blast of lightning as the three arrows fly towards the Dullahan, but this bastard's new spell has made him a lot nimbler than he was before, as all three fly through his body, much like a phantom and strike the street, sizzling the snow.

"Is that the best you got, mage? Pathetic last attempt...""

@Eneas: He's not backing down...

Johann, Silas, Xander, the metal man and his mistress have not been able to put this monster down.

And if nobody does anything fast, you'll all end up in a snowy grave.

Time to see if this blade is worth all the hype. Barbegazi kept it sealed in Krystalheim for a reason, after all.

But if it's just a tool, your training as a rogue should come in handy.

Just like using a wand or reading a scroll... simple.

And so, you run your hand around the hilt, whisper softly to it. Ask it to please do something against this foe!

Fenvarel begins to glow as several ancient golden runes appear on the side of the blade as your entire body receives a jolt of golden power, even brighter than those of Rosalind and Aenar, focusing together.

Kalypsia and Rosalind turn around to look at you as your hair stands on end and your eyes burn, as if looking directly at the sun, a mere inch away from such celestial body.

"What is wrong with him?"

"I... I do not know.""

And it is at this moment that your entire body shakes and the blade seems to guide you, not the other way around as your heart feels swelling to enormous proportions and the tip of the blade concentrates a huge amount of raw solar power as the entire street is bathed in a mid day sun as Gan Ceann averts his eyes...

And then, a blast of brutal proportions as six beams of concentrated Sunlight strike Gan Ceann!

Spoiler: Fenvarel's Blind Fury
    Show
    Six Empowered Sunbeams. DC=17 + Eneas' Charisma modifier. Gan Ceann is not an undead, but he is subject to Sunlight and follows the rules for such in the spell.

@The Party: The Rider of the Lonely Road watches the intense light coming at him and braces for impact.

This is not the same kind of power I saw them use before!!!!

Eneas yells at the top of his lungs as the entire street and the skies become illuminated for a few seconds and the mighty barbarian is knocked back several feet as his body twitches with golden light as Fenvarel releases a heavy curtain of smoke as the snow melts around the paladin.

Aenar is dropped prone as well, as the barbarian becomes a a bullet of muscles and knocks the Pelorite down on the ground.

"What the... what did he do???"

He's not dead, but using all that power has knocked him out... and who knows for how long.

Map

Show
    Gan Ceann
    Raikou
    Johann
    Dante & Aurora
    Rosalind & Aenar
    Xander
    Giles

Kalypsia & Cinderbolt
    Eneas