New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings II Thread IV: Time to Create a New Title

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    No, the correct thing to do is exterminate the Karling line.
    That pretty much goes without saying
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

2. - Top - End - #932
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I started up a game for the first time in a while, creating a custom character as the Count of Caligari. So far, I've conquered two of the other Sardinian counties and established the Duchy of Sardinia; problem is, the HRE has picked up the rest of Sardinia and Corsica. I've also grabbed a couple of Tunisian counties from holy wars against vulnerable targets. Matilda di Canossa's line is getting scary; she married into the Duchy of Lombardy, establishing a super-duchy of Lombardy, Tuscany, Modena, Spoleto, Genoa, and Corsica. I'm contemplating swearing fealty to the HRE and working my way up in there, but that's a frightening potential neighbor.
    ithilanor on Steam.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Firbolg in the Playground

No, the correct thing to do is exterminate the Karling line.
    Personally, I've been finding it quite amusing that thanks to me pressing a de jure claim on some land I'd previously lost and the relevant vassal demanding conversion, there are now a bunch of Germanic Karlings hanging around. Some of them aren't even in my realm, they're still in Francia with all the Catholics.
    The dynasty I did put some effort into extinguishing was the Piasts as I nurse a centuries-old grudge against them for converting Norway to Catholicism and somehow vassalising the Jomsvikings. At this point the only ruling Piasts are on the other side of the Byzantines though so that's been put on hold for the moment.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well.....er....I uh....

I'm not sure how to feel about this. A bit of history, I generally stay away from the demon cult and only occasionally use it for RP reasons. Well, I had this incredibly debauched emperor who was all but a devil worshipper. So I decided that he would be my once in a few hundred years demon worshipper. Weeeellllllll.....
    Spoiler
    Show

Turns out his child was the daughter of Angra Mainyu.

But wait! There's more!

See Donya wasn't just satisfied with being literally the embodiment of evil. She wanted to etch her name in the history books permanently. You might be able to see where this is going. Yes, that's right!
    Spoiler
    Show

So...The Daughter of Angra Mainyu has also become The Promised Savor of The World.

Also can we talk about the awesome wooden mask she gets for being leader of the cult?
    Last edited by Leecros; 2018-04-08 at 11:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

5. - Top - End - #935

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    Well.....er....I uh....

I'm not sure how to feel about this. A bit of history, I generally stay away from the demon cult and only occasionally use it for RP reasons. Well, I had this incredibly debauched emperor who was all but a devil worshipper. So I decided that he would be my once in a few hundred years demon worshipper. Weeeellllllll.....
    Spoiler
    Show

Turns out his child was the daughter of Angra Mainyu.

But wait! There's more!

See Donya wasn't just satisfied with being literally the embodiment of evil. She wanted to etch her name in the history books permanently. You might be able to see where this is going. Yes, that's right!
    Spoiler
    Show

So...The Daughter of Angra Mainyu has also become The Promised Savor of The World.

Also can we talk about the awesome wooden mask she gets for being leader of the cult?
    This sounds like a good time to kidnap and then murder all the other members of the cult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Titan in the Playground

Yes indeed.
    Fight Fire With Fire. Nobody's trying to give me a bag of chicken feet yet.

In the meantime... This version of 769 was oddly uneventful for me. I know they have done tons of balance patches but one of the reasons I wanted to start at 867 originally was that I had heard so much of thre world going haywire in a 769 start (Muslims conquering Britain, France conquering Sweden, Norse conquering everything EVERYWHERE.

In my start (I think I am about 810 now) and well... The French nations are busy being French. Nobody conquered Lombardia, who seems static.
    The Muslims in Spain has not moved at all.
    The biggest player is the Khanite south of me who has swollen HUGE and then converted to Catholicism quickly and thus stopped expanding.

Oh one thing though. So far the Norse has been absolutely calm too. I know the Viking age event sometimes won't trigger until 830, but I have not seen a single Norseman anywhere.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2018-04-09 at 02:55 AM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

7. - Top - End - #937
    Colossus in the Playground

Things are... interesting in the current game. It's around the year 1100 and the Tengri religion just reformed out of nowhere, so all the Steppes are now part of one giant theocratic empire. So far, they are just sitting there, but it's worrying.

Oh, and the Byzantine Empire became Shia, after they folded to a religious war. I mean, what the hell. Meanwhile, I'm all the way over here in Spain, wrapping up the reconquista and just as I'm preparing to move on to Mauretania... the entire coastline of Africa suddenly says "Most Serene Republic of Pisa". They control everything from Morocco to Tunis. (Not Egypt, obviously).
    Resident Vancian Apologist

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

Oh that happened too. Not Shia, but my Byzantines are now 100% Iconoclast. Orthodoxy is the new Heresy.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

9. - Top - End - #939

I think that happens quite commonly. In some start dates, the Emperor starts out Iconoclast and then the rest of the country eventually follows.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ogre in the Playground

Byzantine iconoclasm was a major part of Orthodox religious history.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

One thing I noticed going from Chieftess to Queen is that the marriage options for my children quadrupled or something. Nobody wanted anything to do with my Heir, the very attractive well educated guy. My daughter, who became of age after I became queen? I got 4(!) marriage proposals from both pagan and Iconoclast rulers!

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ogre in the Playground

New Player. Hmm, my sister and heir is also my regent and doesn't like me. Goodbye, Fernando.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    New Player. Hmm, my sister and heir is also my regent and doesn't like me. Goodbye, Fernando.
    Nothing explains CK2 as the statement "Great! He's FINALLY depressed so he can kill himself!"

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ogre in the Playground

Played more. Finally got Gwynned. It is under three counts who hate me so I am holding onto the duchy title until I can hand it off along with a county or two to a brother in law. Real question is should I found Wales when I get one more territory?

Saddly one of the Irish duchys is no longer under my dynasty, two vassal counts ganged up on the relative. But the others are firmly under the family line.

Decided I didnt like my current king so I had him take a vow of celibacy so the line will move to the more capable brother. It is a bit arbitrary, but he is married to a scottish princess with a strong claim. Taking over Scotland wont be to hard, they have had a lot of civil war and it seems like the crown has passed around several times.

England seems similar but they have maintained control of their dejure territory. I know the crown started under Harold Hadrada, and has definitely passed through the de Normandie family. Other than that, mostly I have seen the capitol move a few times, it spent most of its time just to the east of Wales, some time in Cornwall and it has now returned to southern England.

15. - Top - End - #945

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Played more. Finally got Gwynned. It is under three counts who hate me so I am holding onto the duchy title until I can hand it off along with a county or two to a brother in law. Real question is should I found Wales when I get one more territory?
    Always upgrade your top-level title if you can. If you own but one kingdom, not even Gavelkind can snatch it away from you, plus you gain big fat gobs of Prestige. The only potential drawback is that a King cannot swear fealty to an Emperor the same way that a Duke, Count, or Baron level independent lord can (possibly unless the Emperor is de jure, not sure).
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ettin in the Playground

Always upgrade your top-level title if you can. If you own but one kingdom, not even Gavelkind can snatch it away from you, plus you gain big fat gobs of Prestige. The only potential drawback is that a King cannot swear fealty to an Emperor the same way that a Duke, Count, or Baron level independent lord can (possibly unless the Emperor is de jure, not sure).
    Also try to set your succession laws to what you want them to be before creating the King title. A Duke can change succession laws easily, while a King or Emperor has a much harder time of it. (This may be different if you have Conclave, I don't know.)

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    Also try to set your succession laws to what you want them to be before creating the King title. A Duke can change succession laws easily, while a King or Emperor has a much harder time of it. (This may be different if you have Conclave, I don't know.)
    There is one thing to keep in mind: Are you playing for Dynasty or for Family?
    The game is simple in one way: the only way to get game over is if there is no landed heir ANYWHERE.

This means that expanding your dynasty is a good idea even if you lose control over them. So instead of worrying about "I" must have the biggest empire personally, you can play it another way: Prop up your dynasty where you can, and don't panic if you have two kingdoms and one will go to your cousin and one to your heir when you die. Just make sure that cousin marries well and can continue to spread your dynasty. Eventually you probably will have the chance of creating an Empire anyway.

18. - Top - End - #948

So, I'm now bordering the Mongols. Yay?

Long and complicated process of conquest and re-conquest. Byzantium lost a war to the Persians and became Muslim. Then, they fell apart into several kingdoms. Persia snapped up Anatolia. A Crusade re-converted Greece and handed it to me. Then, the Mongols conquered Persia.
    So, now everything east of Constantinople is Mongols. They border Egypt in the South, they have conquered Delhi, they control all the steppes. Not Russia, so far. Russia is part of the glorious Suomi empire.

Did they rebalance the Mongols? Usually, I see them potter around the steppes for a bit, then fall apart. It probably helped that Ögedei Khan (no Temujin in sight) is also leader of the reformed Tengri faith.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    So, I'm now bordering the Mongols. Yay?

Long and complicated process of conquest and re-conquest. Byzantium lost a war to the Persians and became Muslim. Then, they fell apart into several kingdoms. Persia snapped up Anatolia. A Crusade re-converted Greece and handed it to me. Then, the Mongols conquered Persia.
    So, now everything east of Constantinople is Mongols. They border Egypt in the South, they have conquered Delhi, they control all the steppes. Not Russia, so far. Russia is part of the glorious Suomi empire.

Did they rebalance the Mongols? Usually, I see them potter around the steppes for a bit, then fall apart. It probably helped that Ögedei Khan (no Temujin in sight) is also leader of the reformed Tengri faith.
    I think they did, because if you compare the old screenshots from when the game was new, the Golden Horde usually ended up in Iceland*, or even England, or Norway... So they nerfed them but way too much. For a long while all they did was (due to an AI error) conquer Baghdad and then just sit there. Or they half-heatedly threw a few stacks at Hungary and then gave up. I DO think they after Reaper's Due have buffed them a bit (and above all fixed that AI error).

Oh btw: Did the AI actually form Finland of it's own? I have never seen that in a game. Ever.

*For a while it was actually quite common that the last holdout for the Golden Horde was Iceland, when they had been thrown out of all other places on the map, was Iceland.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2018-04-10 at 03:15 AM.

20. - Top - End - #950

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    I think they did, because if you compare the old screenshots from when the game was new, the Golden Horde usually ended up in Iceland*, or even England, or Norway... So they nerfed them but way too much. For a long while all they did was (due to an AI error) conquer Baghdad and then just sit there. Or they half-heatedly threw a few stacks at Hungary and then gave up. I DO think they after Reaper's Due have buffed them a bit (and above all fixed that AI error).

Oh btw: Did the AI actually form Finland of it's own? I have never seen that in a game. Ever.

*For a while it was actually quite common that the last holdout for the Golden Horde was Iceland, when they had been thrown out of all other places on the map, was Iceland.
    They didn't just form Finland, they conquered a good chunk of Russia. Never saw it before, either.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

A King cannot swear fealty to an Emperor the same way that a Duke, Count, or Baron level independent lord can (possibly unless the Emperor is de jure, not sure).
    Really? Because in my current "exploit the satanic devotion mechanic to vassalise the world" game, I "convinced" the King of France to swear fealty to my Emperor of Brittania/Scandinavia, and I'm pretty sure that's outside of the de jure empire. Unless there's a restriction on players swearing fealty to AIs but not vice-versa?

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    Do you hear the drums (of death), Fernando? :)

23. - Top - End - #953
    Titan in the Playground

When the Queen of Poland is fighting a 5 year long liberation war of Pommern Saxony to throw out the cursed Norse worshipers and ends up killed in battle... And her son is too weak to hold on to the entire kingdom AND suffers from a severe infection from an amputated leg... At least he managed to assassinate his brother and reconquer 90% of Poland. Let's see if he survives long enough to conquer the last county too...
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2018-04-10 at 12:01 PM.

24. - Top - End - #954

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Really? Because in my current "exploit the satanic devotion mechanic to vassalise the world" game, I "convinced" the King of France to swear fealty to my Emperor of Brittania/Scandinavia, and I'm pretty sure that's outside of the de jure empire. Unless there's a restriction on players swearing fealty to AIs but not vice-versa?
    Satanic devotion may alter things? In general though, I'm pretty sure it's the other way around - to my knowledge, a player can offer fealty to any higher tier title which is either their de jure liege or on their border, whereas the AI will only accept offered vassalisation if the higher title holder is at least 2/3 of: same culture, de jure liege, 2 ranks higher than them. Oh, and you need to be the same religion as well.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

25. - Top - End - #955

Aren't Doctors wonderful? I complained about gout in my feet and he cut my legs off.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Aren't Doctors wonderful? I complained about gout in my feet and he cut my legs off.
    He fixed your gout didn't he? There's just no pleasing some people.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    He fixed your gout didn't he? There's just no pleasing some people.
    Tomorrow he's got a special on Headaches!

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh I am already King of Ireland, decided to go ahead with also being King of Wales. I already instituted Primogeniture so I think Wales picked it up as well. Since my last king died in a tragic balcony accident I am now playing as his brother with four sons. The first one will eventually be king and rule the main Irish patrimony. The others will need a little work. If I am lucky I can hand one of them a duchy in Ireland whose holder is in his sixties, without children, and married to an elderly relative.

29. - Top - End - #959
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    Do you hear the drums (of death), Fernando? :)
    Once he hit 15yo the assassination attempts were hitting something like every two months. I tried to discover the plot but without luck. The fourth attempt got him and he never figured out someone was trying to kill him. So I'll admit I reloaded and gave a gift to my elder sister/heir/regent to not kill me to see if that worked. It did. And then I couldn't go back to him being dead, so Fernando lives. Although now a childhood rival is trying to kill him. Trading the rival off to a German court didn't work to get rid of him, so it's daggers in the night now. (And I feel a little bad about eldest sister. I did save and tag it when she inherited and the kingdoms all split up, so I'm probably going back to see how that alternate history works out.)

More New Player woes: Went about making all the duchies I could because it seemed like a fun thing to do. So now two of the three I don't hold are uniting their rulers, and in the second duchy I hold I don't own the capital county. Sure, *now* I know something more about duchies.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

I'm 73 years old, and my eldest son and heir has just declared an independence war against me. :facepalm: