New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Pantheon Help

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Pantheon Help

In my homebrew campaign, The One created Time as a Weave. He then Created the Vethari, Angelic beings (gods in the D&D sense) who govern a single thread (or aspect of the universe) of the weave of time.

Im having trouble coming up with What threads could they govern? Elements? Creation? Ruin? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Id like to keep it decently small say 10 -12 threads that way its much easier to come up with information on them rather than like the 30+ deities in the standard D&D pantheon.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Pantheon Help

Quote Originally Posted by sammyp03 View Post
    In my homebrew campaign, The One created Time as a Weave. He then Created the Vethari, Angelic beings (gods in the D&D sense) who govern a single thread (or aspect of the universe) of the weave of time.

Im having trouble coming up with What threads could they govern? Elements? Creation? Ruin? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Id like to keep it decently small say 10 -12 threads that way its much easier to come up with information on them rather than like the 30+ deities in the standard D&D pantheon.
    Not sure if D&D 3.5, but...

Spoiler: SRD Domain List
    Show
    1. Air
    2. Animal
    3. Artifice
    4. Chaos
    5. Charm
    6. Community
    7. Creation
    8. Darkness
    9. Death
    10. Destruction
    11. Earth
    12. Evil
    13. Fire
    14. Glory
    15. Good
    16. Healing
    17. Knowledge
    18. Law
    19. Liberation
    20. Luck
    21. Madness
    22. Magic
    23. Mind
    24. Nobility
    25. Plant
    26. Protection
    27. Repose
    28. Rune
    29. Scalykind
    30. Strength
    31. Sun
    32. Travel
    33. Trickery
    34. War
    35. Water
    36. Weather

Put "36" in the first section of the bottom row, and roll 3 times to produce up to 42,840 entities with unique combinations of 3 different domains.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I'd suggest starting with the 22 domains in the Player's Handbook (33 for Pathfinder) and dividing them between the Vethari. Remember that deities are supposed to have the domains for their alignment. Pathfinder hands out 5 domains to each major deity.
    You could limit yourself to one Vethari for each alignment.

This way you can make sure that there is something for every player.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I play 5e so much less domains

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

When I hit a creative roadblock -- or when I don't much care either way about the results -- then I like to involve the players in setting creation.

I got this trick from the Dresden Files RPG by Evil Hat.

Here's what you do:

- Lay out your expectations about the Divine. Do gods come down and yell at people who don't behave? Do they send avatars? Are the gods KNOWN to be real, or are the gods worshiped purely on FAITH? You need to decide this one yourself, up front.

- Lay out your pantheon as it stands. Some broad details, a vague idea of how many gods there should be, a note about whether gods overlap with each other (i.e. can 2 gods have the same domain?), stuff like that.

- Lay out your setting's attitudes towards magic. Do people regard magic as a miracle, or a curse, or a part of nature? If you haven't decided, then engage your players in this question as well, and maybe have different people regard it differently.

- Are there evil gods, or not? (In my own settings, I tend to use archfiends instead of evil gods.)

Now that you've asked that stuff, and maybe got a few vague answers, go around the table and ask each player to add a detail: either a new god, or something specific about one of the gods.

Build up the divine mythology together.

It's fun.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

It's a weave, so it can have multiple dimensions. You can do alignments, elements, aristotelian virtues (moral and intellectual), or whatever else all thrown together. That then lets you build that into the scholarship of your world as theologians/planar scholars classify them.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    When I hit a creative roadblock -- or when I don't much care either way about the results -- then I like to involve the players in setting creation.

I got this trick from the Dresden Files RPG by Evil Hat.

Here's what you do:

- Lay out your expectations about the Divine. Do gods come down and yell at people who don't behave? Do they send avatars? Are the gods KNOWN to be real, or are the gods worshiped purely on FAITH? You need to decide this one yourself, up front.

- Lay out your pantheon as it stands. Some broad details, a vague idea of how many gods there should be, a note about whether gods overlap with each other (i.e. can 2 gods have the same domain?), stuff like that.

- Lay out your setting's attitudes towards magic. Do people regard magic as a miracle, or a curse, or a part of nature? If you haven't decided, then engage your players in this question as well, and maybe have different people regard it differently.

- Are there evil gods, or not? (In my own settings, I tend to use archfiends instead of evil gods.)

Now that you've asked that stuff, and maybe got a few vague answers, go around the table and ask each player to add a detail: either a new god, or something specific about one of the gods.

Build up the divine mythology together.

It's fun.
    The divine once walked the mortal realms when they were all connected by great walkways. Then during the cataclysm, the walkways shattered and Mythaal (the highest Vethari in terms of rank) was lost to the void. They have since left the world and returned to their golden city.

I'm not sure about themy being evil or not. I was leaning towards them more being forces of nature that have direct opposites. ie maybe a Vethari for law and chaos or light and dark.

Magic comes from the source of creation that magic wielders tap into called the reservoir. I'm leaning towards people having a bad attitude towards magic. Maybe an outlaw type of situation.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sammyp03 View Post
    I play 5e so much less domains
    Then make the other domains their own gods. IIRC, there are 9 domains in 5e.

Knowledge, Life, Light, Nature, Tempest, Trickery, War, Death, Arcana

Those can be their own gods, or you can key in Deities to pairs or other combinations of those domains.

For example, if you want to tie them to the Major deities from Game of Thrones, You'd end up with something like
    Maiden - Trickery/Light
    Mother - Nature/Life
    Crone - Tempest/Knowledge
    Smith - Knowledge/Arcana
    Soldier - War/Trickery
    Father - Arcana/Tempest
    Stranger - Life/Death
    Drowned God - Death/War
    R'hllor - Light/Nature
    (or something like that.)

You can refluff them to aspects of time, or Just give them different Vethari names.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

what are your thoughts on this?

aspects of the universe.

Chaos and order
    creation and ruin
    space and nothingness.
    destiny
    the elements