New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: WarKitty's Feline Frenzy Random Banter #216

Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thanks, Dimonite. I'll use those ideas. They're seriously not supposed to wreck the ONLY place in the kingdom where the kingdom gets its slaves (as long as slavery isn't in the main cities around the main lake, the King turns a blind eye...

3. - Top - End - #513
    Colossus in the Playground

Why lookie here. It's a new Zodi LP.

Zodi Plays: Call of Juarez Gunslinger

4. - Top - End - #514
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis J Hyena View Post
    Thanks, Dimonite. I'll use those ideas. They're seriously not supposed to wreck the ONLY place in the kingdom where the kingdom gets its slaves (as long as slavery isn't in the main cities around the main lake, the King turns a blind eye...
    Hey, I get ya. I've DMed for worldbreakers before.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Why lookie here. It's a new Zodi LP.

Zodi Plays: Call of Juarez Gunslinger
    Did ... did you change your avvie to match the LP or have I gone quite mad?
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    We're all mad here.

But, yeah, Zodi changes avvies every time.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

6. - Top - End - #516

It's hiiiigh noon. Pewpew pew.

But yes, I did.

7. - Top - End - #517

While I'm thinking about it, Dimonite, since PCs are good at burning things to the ground, if they somehow manage to destroy the place, or at least free the slaves (and the pedos, and the rapists, and all the heavy-handed psychos that are also locked up there), what would some economical consequences be for the kingdom? I'm no good at kingdom economies.

8. - Top - End - #518

Okay, I admit, I am somewhat really technologically challenged.

If I buy a cheap tablet (with a USB port), will I be able to read PDF's?

Inquiring minds want to know ;)
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

9. - Top - End - #519

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    We're all mad here.

But, yeah, Zodi changes avvies every time.
    It's hiiiigh noon. Pewpew pew.

But yes, I did.
    Well, it has apparently been waaaay too long since I've really been active.

While I'm thinking about it, Dimonite, since PCs are good at burning things to the ground, if they somehow manage to destroy the place, or at least free the slaves (and the pedos, and the rapists, and all the heavy-handed psychos that are also locked up there), what would some economical consequences be for the kingdom? I'm no good at kingdom economies.
    Well, my first recommendation would be to make the complex out of non-flammable materials

But for a good model, you might want to look at how reconstruction played out after the U.S. Civil war - economic devastation, especially in areas like agriculture and mining where slave labor was more common than paid labor. These businesses became heavily dependent on two things: government intervention, and employing the newly freed slaves for horrible wages (which counted on the fact that they had no idea what their labor was worth and would also be unable to read contracts). You may also want to consider the following questions:

What's stopping the slavers from starting up again (or, if they're dead, what's stopping new slavers from taking their place)?

What are these suddenly free people going to be doing with their time? Forming raiding parties? Organizing rebellion against the government that abandoned them? Think "future plot hooks" and "consequences of your actions."
    Quotes!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    BY THE HEAVENS! Dimonite! You are even more awesome than I thought!
    Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    *high fives!*
    That was awesome, made me smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witch-King View Post
    THIS aberrant, ancient evil ain't no playa! I'm gonna take care of my little Meduthids and my Spawnling Mama! Besides which--the Old Ones know the Elder Brain keeps pestering me about giving it some Grandspawnlings...
    The Neutralizer - my 3.5 class that attempts to make wizards less OP.
    Fantastic dragonpuppy drawn by my sister in the ancient times.

10. - Top - End - #520

Well, it has apparently been waaaay too long since I've really been active.
    You should definitely participate more. Especially in my threads, so that you don't forget!

Also god damnit where is Rawhide so we can have a cowboy fight.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2017-02-07 at 01:21 AM.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghostshadow View Post

Just about guaranteed yes, if it's not already equipped with a PDF reader it should easily allow one to be installed.
    Errare humanum est
    Live long and Prosper
    May the force be with you

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ettin in the Playground

I recursively translated part of a song from English through Haitian Creole, Luxembourgish, Korean and Yoruba then back to English. Here are the results:

Egeyi or sing a song guy slums. Because we all feel good you are in the mood for a melody, or singing a song tonight.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ghostshadow View Post

As Gnomvid said, yes. PDF is one of the most portable document formats out there, the only people who aren't doing it are either absurdly cheap or really closed up, and given that Apple aren't resisting it, I'm not even sure the second category even exists...
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ettin in the Playground

I pronounce the em-dash in "—ing" as a glottal stop. Who else here does the same?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

15. - Top - End - #525

So, I ran my game tonight fully expecting my players to try to assault a major city of slavers.

Nope. They globetrotted all the way across the planet via airship after rescuing an airship captain. First an airship to a isolated slaver city on the continent of ice and snow, then a sailing ship 2 months to the warmer anthropomorphic lands (it's midwinter at the moment). The "face" of the group ends up insulting their "interviewer" as to why humans should be allowed into the anthro lands... and after the interviewer tells the party anthros "restrain and silence your chattel" a fight erupts.

I had to use DM's fiat to go "the matron of the area uses primal power to knock the humans unconscious." Both because I was getting tired, and because they were edging dangerously close to having a third if not more of their party killed. I've got a bleeding heart, I should have had some of their characters get their throats slit for their bickering and backtalking in an area where humans had -no power- at all.

16. - Top - End - #526

BlackDragon

I would have let their characters get killed. Nothing like it to prove to a player that there are consequences for their actions, especially if they're not in a position to get an easy raise dead or resurrection.

17. - Top - End - #527

NecromancerGuy

I've got a bleeding heart, I should have had some of their characters get their throats slit for their bickering and backtalking in an area where humans had -no power- at all.
    I mean, you say that, but you also have a game where furries keep humans as slaves and you expected PCs to not bicker and backtalk for some strange reason.

This was a trainwreck that could have been seen from miles away.

Although I do wonder why they were so bored with their current quest line that they just buggered off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

I've got a bleeding heart, I should have had some of their characters get their throats slit for their bickering and backtalking in an area where humans had -no power- at all.
    Pretty much all but the most ruthless and undiplomatically minded of states will tread carefully around foreigners and treat them with a bit more silken gloves if there is a possibility of political repercussions to harsh treatment. While a native human may have had their throats slit for bickering and back-talking, a group of foreign PCs with a bit of a name for themselves could reasonably get away with a lot more. For example, killing them in a fight, even when they're fighting you to the death, could have worse consequences than going the extra mile to knock them out cold, deprieve them of their belongings and then deport them from the country. Losing all your magic items is probably going to sting almost as bad as losing a character, and will make sure they think twice before trying to rustle the hornets nest while inside the hive, so to speak.

Now, I have a bit of trouble telling from the description, but was this a fight you thought they would win but with character deaths, or just lose hard? If it was the former, you could instead let them win the day by having the border guards retreat (I mean, they don't want to die either), but fetch reinforcements to decisively tip the scales later.

Of course, all of this is a bit hypothetical, but maybe it can put the current situation in a more interesting light? And depending on how tight a clutch you have the PCs n right now, deportation could still serve as a way to tell them that they screwed up and will have to try something radically different if they want to continue along their current line.

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    I mean, you say that, but you also have a game where furries keep humans as slaves and you expected PCs to not bicker and backtalk for some strange reason.

While I agree that you should always plan for the case that the PCs start a fight, there's no need to be harsh about it. I reckon there's a lot of minutiae we aren't seeing here...

On a complete sidenote, given the stopping distance for a train going at cruise speed, a mile's forewarning might very well not be enough to prevent a train wreck from happening. Especially if we're talking two trains hurtling toward each other on the same track.

Although I do wonder why they were so bored with their current quest line that they just buggered off.
    Well, they didn't necessarily have to be bored, they could just have seen a lack of options to proceed on or too low chances of success. Or just had second thoughts about the long-term consequences of a success. An abandoned plotline is not a bad thing per se, after all.
    Last edited by Teddy; 2017-02-12 at 10:27 AM.

Show

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ettin in the Playground

Whether or not you know the original, I have a new line for an old copypasta. I'm not going to include the original, since it's somewhat religiously charged, but the new line is:

Engineering is like finding a white cat in a dark room, saying "that'll do" and pouring ink on it.
    To those of you who know the original: does that sound about right?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

20. - Top - End - #530

It was the character backstory. In his one-shot intro adventure the player said that the character was a "fallen" samurai who got shipwrecked on the coasts of the human kingdom and whose brother is "missing". Since day one he's had a key to a dungeon that's important to the Main Plot but first they ran about clearing werewolf dens, searching for treasures on the orders of the Duke, etc. Then they decided to go out of the blue to the slaver city ("to burn it to the ground since I don't approve of slavery" -- glad they backed off on burning a several-level underground maze out...) and track down the character's brother only to find he'd been sent off and sold to the anthros.

I didn't expect them to backtalk because normally the character is nice and honorable to everyone he meets. What I expected were some tense negotiations and a struggle to keep his slavery-hatred in check rather than a fight being started almost immediately. I figured the character was exhausted from traveling across the entire planet and the exhaustion was the reason for the outburst. Cooler heads will not prevail a second time, though...

The anthros aren't smart enough to deport. They're going to send some of their best next session (Tailiu knows what I mean) and just have it out physically for dominance. If the heroes don't wisely back down and leave on their own for this to be resolved later (the anthros are honorable if primitive and while hating humans they will hold the character's brother until his time in "slavery" is expired, as per some earlier agreements made generations ago) then those who survive will be left with a chase to the coast and a ship while the Apex Predators (the anthro heroes-of-heroes) chase them down.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

The anthros aren't smart enough to deport. They're going to send some of their best next session (Tailiu knows what I mean) and just have it out physically for dominance. If the heroes don't wisely back down and leave on their own for this to be resolved later (the anthros are honorable if primitive and while hating humans they will hold the character's brother until his time in "slavery" is expired, as per some earlier agreements made generations ago) then those who survive will be left with a chase to the coast and a ship while the Apex Predators (the anthro heroes-of-heroes) chase them down.
    How do you run a border control if you don't understand the concept of kicking people you don't like out of your country?

ION:
    I got new members of the plushie family!

Spoiler: Plushies!
    Show

Last edited by Teddy; 2017-02-14 at 02:40 AM.

Show

22. - Top - End - #532

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    To those of you who know the original: does that sound about right?
    Works for me
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

23. - Top - End - #533

Happy Valentine's Day everyone. Hope you all have a good one.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

You're about two and a half hours late here :P

ION: my chilli plant is growing wonderfully. I've tried two chillis from it already (a green one which I ate about a third of, and a sorta-dark-orange-but-not-quite-red one which I cooked with bacon) and both were great
    I think I'm going to pick another one later today, once I've slept, since it's a decent size and a great red colour
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

25. - Top - End - #535
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I am a lonely paladin, but i hope all the playground get a lot of Love this day (and all days)

26. - Top - End - #536
    Troll in the Playground

What, you mean Expensive Chocolates And Flowers Day?

My plans for the day involve... having to go down to university to use the labs. Yay.

Oh, well. At least tomorrow I can buy all the cheap stuff on sale, and stock up. I don't care if I'm still eating heart-shaped stuff until Easter (i.e. next cheap stock-up day). Chocolate is chocolate.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

27. - Top - End - #537

Chocolate is chocolate.
    Amen. Happy Chocolate day to all, and happy valentines day as well ;)

28. - Top - End - #538
    Troll in the Playground

Blargh. Today was not good. My rant got a bit long, so I spoilered it for those who don't want this Shadow darkening their day of chocolates and flowers.

Spoiler: Rant
    Show
    It's reading break, and I had homework, which needed a specific program, so I headed down to the university to do it. My prof had said, and stated on the course site, that the program was available on all University computers. It was not. Not a one. I searched for over an hour, and not a single computer had the promised program on it.

Okay... that's a setback, but... no biggie, I guess. Onto Plan B. Follow the instructions on the assignment description to download the program for myself. Onto my piddly little notebook. 28 gigs of memory total, just over 4 GB free. Pretty weaksauce, but, it's been sufficient for school so far. No problem, I thought, I'd downloaded stuff temporarily before, and they were usually in the rounds of 2-3 GB. Downloaded the program, it turned out to only be a few hundred megabytes. Pleasant surprise. Got to starting my work, tried to compile. It didn't work.

Turns out, it needed a library downloaded, too. Which it didn't say on the sheet. So, followed the link, and downloaded it. Now, it didn't say how big the library program was. Nor how long it would take - at least not until 2/3rds of the way through.

The download turned out to take, oh, the short span of... four hours. But that's not the best part, oh, no. It also turned out to be... just under 7GB big. Those of you paying attention will see the problem with that.

It also did not inform me about the fact that it was not going to stop anytime soon until... well, not officially until well into the second hour, but I figured that out as it reached two hours. So, I was watching my free memory tick down, and it was still coming. Quite rapidly. So, in order to not waste coming-on three hours, I would have to start deleting things. I ended up having to purge literally everything on my notebook that was not completely irreplaceable, in a race against the rapidly depleting memory. And even then, I was down to single-digit Megabytes by the time it finished.

So, yeah, long story short, I had to purge 3 GB worth of stuff, including a lot of misc. pictures for the games I'm running, because of this. So... I'm rather annoyed right now. And am in the process of re-acquiring everything before I forget what it is.

Well, anyways, yeah, just needed to rant a bit. That was cathartic. Doesn't make things better, but it helps, slightly.

Edit: I just realized. This continues my longstanding tradition of having fairly miserable Valentines days. Yay. What god/dess of love did I annoy?
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2017-02-15 at 02:31 AM.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Dwarf in the Playground

Blargh. Today was not good. My rant got a bit long, so I spoilered it for those who don't want this Shadow darkening their day of chocolates and flowers.

Spoiler: Rant
    Show
    It's reading break, and I had homework, which needed a specific program, so I headed down to the university to do it. My prof had said, and stated on the course site, that the program was available on all University computers. It was not. Not a one. I searched for over an hour, and not a single computer had the promised program on it.

Okay... that's a setback, but... no biggie, I guess. Onto Plan B. Follow the instructions on the assignment description to download the program for myself. Onto my piddly little notebook. 28 gigs of memory total, just over 4 GB free. Pretty weaksauce, but, it's been sufficient for school so far. No problem, I thought, I'd downloaded stuff temporarily before, and they were usually in the rounds of 2-3 GB. Downloaded the program, it turned out to only be a few hundred megabytes. Pleasant surprise. Got to starting my work, tried to compile. It didn't work.

Turns out, it needed a library downloaded, too. Which it didn't say on the sheet. So, followed the link, and downloaded it. Now, it didn't say how big the library program was. Nor how long it would take - at least not until 2/3rds of the way through.

The download turned out to take, oh, the short span of... four hours. But that's not the best part, oh, no. It also turned out to be... just under 7GB big. Those of you paying attention will see the problem with that.

It also did not inform me about the fact that it was not going to stop anytime soon until... well, not officially until well into the second hour, but I figured that out as it reached two hours. So, I was watching my free memory tick down, and it was still coming. Quite rapidly. So, in order to not waste coming-on three hours, I would have to start deleting things. I ended up having to purge literally everything on my notebook that was not completely irreplaceable, in a race against the rapidly depleting memory. And even then, I was down to single-digit Megabytes by the time it finished.

So, yeah, long story short, I had to purge 3 GB worth of stuff, including a lot of misc. pictures for the games I'm running, because of this. So... I'm rather annoyed right now. And am in the process of re-acquiring everything before I forget what it is.

Well, anyways, yeah, just needed to rant a bit. That was cathartic. Doesn't make things better, but it helps, slightly.

Edit: I just realized. This continues my longstanding tradition of having fairly miserable Valentines days. Yay. What god/dess of love did I annoy?
    Not to be overly pedantic but memory (RAM) and harddrive space are ever so slightly different, likely you have about 4GB of total RAM in your piddly little notebook. Ever thought about having a usb stick or flash card for additional storage as they would both have more space then your notebook's internal HDD taking up all but no physical space at all and at a very reasonable price.
    Errare humanum est
    Live long and Prosper
    May the force be with you

30. - Top - End - #540

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomvid View Post
    Not to be overly pedantic but memory (RAM) and harddrive space are ever so slightly different, likely you have about 4GB of total RAM in your piddly little notebook.
    People are prone to calling hard drive space "memory", and from the sounds of it he's got one of those low-end netbooks with maybe 32Gb of internal storage (of which 4Gb is reserved for the OS). Such a thing wouldn't have as much as 4Gb of RAM--2Gb at most, most likely.

Have to say, I'm a bit gobsmacked about a *library* being 7Gb. What on earth is in it? The coded instructions for creating a new universe?