New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fantasy Novels starring Clerics

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Debatable whether it is sci-fi or fantasy, but the Coldfire Trilogy also features a priest as the main character.
    It also has my go-to example for a Lawful Evil protagonist done oh so right.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

For an extremely loose definition of "Cleric", you might like to try "The Curse of Chalion" by Lois McMaster Bujold.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I love the MC of Throne of the Crescent Moon, but I always consider him more of van-helsing style tool-based monster hunter. With 1001 potions, charms, enchanted anti-witch breakfast cereal, and whatnot. I don't remember him being divinely inspired much, he just use simple spells and prepared charms that his order know.

His sidekick is definitely a paladin though.
    Yeah, but his spells are powered by invoking God and practicing holy clericky stuff like abstinence. But thinking about it now I suppose he would make more sense as a Pathfinder inquisitor than a straight cleric.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Elantris has a very DnDish cleric in it, complete with fullplate. While he's the antagonist, he gets a third of the book and might as well be called starring. He's also friggin awesome.

Otherwise, DnDish cleric is an extremely narrow niche and you need to accept everything somewhat close to the concept if you want to find them outside of DnD novels.
    Founder of the Fanclub of the (Late) Chief of Cliffport Police Department (He shall live forever in our hearts)
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!
    Shameless shill:

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

DruidGirl

The protagonist of "Dragon Bones" by Patricia Briggs is a warrior who also can do magic (which is sometimes powered by the gods, but it is all very mysterious) and has strong morals. Sort of fits?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    Excellent. Yes, "close enough" is more than enough in this case since I understand that "D&D Cleric" is an amazingly niche thing. But anything that emulates that to some degree of closeness, I would be interested in checking out.
    Warcraft paladins seem to be pretty close to the D&D cleric niche. Are there any good novels about them?