New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: xkcd

1. - Top - End - #601
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: xkcd

Earliest I can remember was the 1988 election, because my kindergarten class held a mock election to get us interested in democracy. I voted for Bush because I thought his name was funny. I was still so politically oblivious in high school that I almost voted for his son because I voted for Bush in kindergarten (seriously, that was the only reason). Fortunately, I was about two weeks too young.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Troll in the Playground

Aside from random parliament speaches, the first major event I remember seeing news of was the Budapest Memorandum I guess - denuclearization of Ukraine was a pretty big event, if you lived nearby.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I tend to have a pretty high score on today's game. My score is currently relatively low, but that's only because I moved a couple years back. In my last place, I eventually learned that pancake syrup does eventually go off if left in the pantry for long enough. Not harmful, but it tasted weird enough that I checked the date and was shocked to find it had expired 5 years prior.

Undisputed winner in our family is my grandmother, who had just the situation in the comic. When we cleared out her pantry after she passed in the mid 2000s we found cans of beans from the 1980s in there. I'm amazed the cans didn't launch themselves out and go hopping down the road.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Firbolg in the Playground

I tend to throw out items pretty quickly once they reach their expiration date: usually less than a month after they expire. So, my score is probably zero.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Troll in the Playground

Food items that get forgotten the most are self made (pickles, jams and so one), since usually you make a lot of them in one go year after year, so some really old ones can be sitting there in a far corner of the pantry unnoticed. It is hard to judge the score on those, since they do not have a set expiration date.

From bought things, I would look more into medicine rather then food, since a typical cabinet or box for drugs is often full of unfinished stuff, which is rarely ever needed, but it should be kept just in case anyway. Due to the sheer number and diversity of packings (aerosoles, tubes, bottles of various shapes and sizes, blisters...) it is impossible to keep it well organised, so it is very easy to overlook some items, which outlived their usefulness quite significantly.

Kind of a fimilial record would be a bottle of vodka way over 30 years old - it is still sitting there at my parent's home, since at that point it is a bit of a memento of Ye Olden Days. It is hard to count that though, since everyone always knew it was there.

And to the whole discussion, I dedicate this song (some spoilers for Cowboy Bebop, if anyone did not see the series; if you did not, do consider watching it - it is amazig).

6. - Top - End - #606

Our best was two years over and we were thirty at the time so, about 7?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I think I remember the 1996 US election.
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-07-23 at 11:14 PM.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: I think it's time for a topic change; the "earliest news you remember" is getting dangerously close to political discussion.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

9. - Top - End - #609

I'm pretty sure this isn't how it works, but then I don't know that many meteorologists. I wonder if this is better or worse than having an alert for "the weather service took the day off, you're on your own".
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2019-07-24 at 10:51 PM.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I'm pretty sure this isn't how it works, but then I don't know that many meteorologists. I wonder if this is better or worse than having an alert for "the weather service took the day off, you're on your own".
    Substantially worse, but it's not exactly being put to the test anyway.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't find the "Unpopular Positive Opinion Challenge" that hard.

Resident Evil (2002) totally works for me.
    I've introduced my mate to "How to lose friends and Alienate People (2008)" this week and we had a really good time.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    I don't find the "Unpopular Positive Opinion Challenge" that hard.

Resident Evil (2002) totally works for me.
    I've introduced my mate to "How to lose friends and Alienate People (2008)" this week and we had a really good time.
    Suicide Squad? It gets a lot more flack for being a horrible movie than I think it deserves.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ettin in the Playground

Unpopular Positive Opinion Challenge isn't that hard, but 'not that hard' is still way harder than Unpopular Negative Opinion Challenge.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyone know how to search Rotten Tomatoes by date? Because I have no idea which movies I like that are usually hated
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2019-08-02 at 06:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

15. - Top - End - #615
    Troll in the Playground

The only difficulty I had with this challenge was that I mostly know older movies and relied on whatever was on TV. That being said, I was quite surprised that movies like "Hudson Hawk" were considered this bad by the reviewers. Sure it is silly and the plot is contrived, but it was ment to be like this. You can not expect seriousness, if the main villian explains his goal by standing on a table and shouting "World domination!" with outstreached arms.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Unpopular Positive Opinion Challenge isn't that hard, but 'not that hard' is still way harder than Unpopular Negative Opinion Challenge.
    I think it would be a lot harder if you cranked the tomatometer rating down just a little bit further. There are a lot of respectably solid movies with strong appeal to genre fans in the 40-50% range for science fiction and fantasy. I mean Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom qualifies (48%) and that movie made 1.3 billion dollars. A lot of people liked it.

Personally, I pick Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (48%), which I think is a fine film even if it's not knocking anyone's socks off. I'd also back Night at the Museum (the first one, 42%), cheesy though it may be at times, I think it's a solid family-friendly comedy.

Anyone know how to search Rotten Tomatoes by date? Because I have no idea which movies I like that are usually hated
    If you go to 'browse all' you can adjust the tomatometer to a distinct range (30-50% for instance) and pick you genres. You'll have to scroll backward in time, but it goes pretty fast. For instance, apparently there are only 217 fantasy and sci-fi films recorded with a 40-50% rating.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

17. - Top - End - #617

So without an exhaustive search, the movie most likely to work for me is "John Carter of Mars", but it got a 52%. I just don't watch that many movies.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    The only difficulty I had with this challenge was that I mostly know older movies and relied on whatever was on TV. That being said, I was quite surprised that movies like "Hudson Hawk" were considered this bad by the reviewers. Sure it is silly and the plot is contrived, but it was ment to be like this. You can not expect seriousness, if the main villian explains his goal by standing on a table and shouting "World domination!" with outstreached arms.
    Hudson Hawk is hilarious... but I think people saw that Bruce Willis was in a movie about international thieves and world-domination conspiracies, and expected something else.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post

If you go to 'browse all' you can adjust the tomatometer to a distinct range (30-50% for instance) and pick you genres. You'll have to scroll backward in time, but it goes pretty fast. For instance, apparently there are only 217 fantasy and sci-fi films recorded with a 40-50% rating.
    If only I had a consistent genre preference to help narrow it down

Going chronologically, apparently the most recent film I unironically enjoyed that got <50% both by critics and the wider audience is Silent Hill: Revelation. I'm certainly not going to pretend it was a good movie, or one of my favourites, but the bizarro plot somewhat worked for me, and a few of the scenes were definitely spine-tingling. That manikin room found its way into my nightmares for a while.
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2019-08-02 at 10:38 PM.
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

20. - Top - End - #620

I like how he had to almost explicitly exclude The Room.

Red Faction Origins, anyway. Although it only has the audience score (24%), and no tomatometer.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

21. - Top - End - #621

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I like how he had to almost explicitly exclude The Room.

Red Faction Origins, anyway. Although it only has the audience score (24%), and no tomatometer.
    Why is The Room excluded?

22. - Top - End - #622
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Why is The Room excluded?
    I assume he's referring to the "not its-so-bad-its-good" bit.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

23. - Top - End - #623

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I assume he's referring to the "not its-so-bad-its-good" bit.
    Indeed I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh XKCD, never change your strange, experimental ways.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ettin in the Playground

Disappearing Sunday Update is still available. See it before it disappears with the Monday Update!

Or, you know, not. It's just an ad for Randall's new book How To. Not sure if Explain XKCD will archive it for future viewing.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

26. - Top - End - #626
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Disappearing Sunday Update is still available. See it before it disappears with the Monday Update!

Or, you know, not. It's just an ad for Randall's new book How To. Not sure if Explain XKCD will archive it for future viewing.
    They should archive it and then have that archive disappear after a day.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    They should archive it and then have that archive disappear after a day.
    Eventually every archive disappears after 'a day'.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Titan in the Playground

Squirrel!

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ettin in the Playground

Everyone hear about the Tardigrades on the moon from the crashed Israeli lunar lander ? Makes me think of the Planetary Protection Officer.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Everyone hear about the Tardigrades on the moon from the crashed Israeli lunar lander ? Makes me think of the Planetary Protection Officer.
    Maybe we're all descendants of the microbes from a probe sent out by the denizens of Omicron Persei VIII.