New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Supporting the Giant

So--I've already bought and enjoyed all 8 of the books (1-5, Origins of PCs, Start of Darkness, and Snips Snails). I want to support the Giant further though. I know he doesn't have a Paypal or Patreon because he thought fans might act entitled, so are there other ways to support him?

I was thinking of buying some of the books again and donating them to a library, but I'm not sure if libraries take indie published books. Has anyone tried this?

(I should probably note, I mean this in a "I've enjoyed the Giant's works for many years and want to support him because I believe he deserves it" sense, and not a "I want to dump money on the Giant's head to make him crank out comics faster" sense. I have no complaints or objections to the pace of the comic; I just want to support the Giant.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Supporting the Giant

I think that The Giant occasionally refuses this kind of offer.

But There are ton of available goodies on the shop (mugs, t-shirt, laptop skins, ornaments, calendars...).
    You might be interested in some and he does make money with that. It looks like a win-win situation, doesn't it?
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

This thread again? Just buy his merchandise.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    I think that The Giant occasionally refuses this kind of offer.

But There are ton of available goodies on the shop (mugs, t-shirt, laptop skins, ornaments, calendars...).
    You might be interested in some and he does make money with that. It looks like a win-win situation, doesn't it?
    I'd do this ^ it is always nice to support your favorite authors! I am tempted to buy myself a shirt ;).

But hey, I wouldn't rule out the library thing, if they let you donate them for kids or whoever to check out and read it might bring new people into reading OOTS or even playing DnD who didn't even know about it.

(but it is up to you :)

"Fear and intimidation, mostly, though a little torture here and there helps" Comic #817

Avatar drawn by: Honest Tiefling

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

The short PDF stories at Gumroad are pay what you want, dunno how much of it would go to the Giant if you chose to pay $100 for one of them but hey.
    ungelic is us

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I was amazed to see that only 4% of the people who read the comic buy merchandise. I guess I've been in the forum echo chamber so long I've forgotten that the vast majority of the readers don't use the forum, so even though the people here are more likely to buy merchandise, that isn't necessarily true for the average reader.

My only regret is that I didn't know what Kickstarter was at the time, and thought it was a website full of scammers trying to make easy money, so I didn't back the project and then now I have to wait extremely not patiently for each PDF to come out (I WANT TO READ THERKLA SO BAD!!!!). But that's my fault so I live with it.

Anyway I'm a 4%er and proud of it! We should make a signature block for all the "4%ers" who are proud to be supporting the comic.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2017-02-22 at 09:29 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZMiles View Post
    So--I've already bought and enjoyed all 8 of the books (1-5, Origins of PCs, Start of Darkness, and Snips Snails). I want to support the Giant further though. I know he doesn't have a Paypal or Patreon because he thought fans might act entitled, so are there other ways to support him?

I was thinking of buying some of the books again and donating them to a library, but I'm not sure if libraries take indie published books. Has anyone tried this?

(I should probably note, I mean this in a "I've enjoyed the Giant's works for many years and want to support him because I believe he deserves it" sense, and not a "I want to dump money on the Giant's head to make him crank out comics faster" sense. I have no complaints or objections to the pace of the comic; I just want to support the Giant.)
    I see no reason why your local library wouldn't take indie books, but the best way for you to be sure is to contact them and ask. And I think it's very nice of you to share something you enjoy with others.

Ignotus Peverell avatar made by the great Bradakhan.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Could always donate to a charity in his name, or call a library and ask if they would take book donations.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2017-02-22 at 11:00 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

9. - Top - End - #9

Looked through the merchant site, and while I can't really get physical objects for myself right now--cramped living quarters--I saw there are PDF calendars I hadn't known about and which I'll get. So thanks for the tip.

As for libraries--good point. I'll contact a couple that I like and see if they would be interested.

Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I was amazed to see that only 4% of the people who read the comic buy merchandise. I guess I've been in the forum echo chamber so long I've forgotten that the vast majority of the readers don't use the forum, so even though the people here are more likely to buy merchandise, that isn't necessarily true for the average reader.

My only regret is that I didn't know what Kickstarter was at the time, and thought it was a website full of scammers trying to make easy money, so I didn't back the project and then now I have to wait extremely not patiently for each PDF to come out (I WANT TO READ THERKLA SO BAD!!!!). But that's my fault so I live with it.

Anyway I'm a 4%er and proud of it! We should make a signature block for all the "4%ers" who are proud to be supporting the comic.
    Ugh, the Therkla comic was so good. I think it's the best one released so far.
    Even the wind will know agony.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Definitely if you can do it, getting the pdfs on top of hard copies can't hurt if you want a way to enjoy the comics when you can't lug around your collection. You can also buy more copies of the books and donate them somewhere or give them to a friend who might enjoy them.

Also, here are The Giant's thought on the subject.

Peelee’s Lotsey

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chei View Post
    Ugh, the Therkla comic was so good. I think it's the best one released so far.

That's what I've been told.

13. - Top - End - #13

Always call and ask before buying books to donate. And actually, they're probably going to prefer cash.

Anytime you're dealing with donations, call and ask what they need first. A large amount of donations for any charity just end up in the trash. Especially libraries, which are already pressed for space.

That said, buy other merchandise like mugs and t-shirts and such.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

I just found a way to cheat the system give Rich money. You just have to buy PDFs repeatedly and then delete it.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Today I learned the Therkla PDF is not yet available to buy outside of Kickstarter.

16. - Top - End - #16

Patreon

You wrote that he decided against it, and I wondered why (if it's true)?

I wish to voice my opinion that it would be my preferred way of payment.
    I just don't care for anything besides the main comic and the bonus stories. I don't need figures, calendars, stickers, games, etc. etc. etc.

When the kickstarter was going, i bought some package that included some stuff, just so because (i tried to get the package that included mostly books, so I got most of what I wanted).

But I generally bought it because I hoped it would help the Giant sustain his life and therefore be able to produce comics at a quicker rate as a result.
    Ok, so that didn't happen because things calculated themselves differently afterwards, ok. No problem. That's the way life goes, and I can surely say happened to me as well.

Still I would highly recommend Patreon. Set up the way that money flows everytime a new comics is posted, would be the fairest thing to all people who wish to support the comic, and don't care about the rest.
    Give Patreon people the comic 1 day earlier or something as "gift", and that's it. No obligations.

Alternatively, I don't think a prescription model is as bad as it seems, old fashioned it may be. Yeah, 4% and all that, but I bet everyone on this forum wants to know how the story ends. We have over 1000 pages of free sample to decide whether we want to buy the rest of the story.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Today I learned the Therkla PDF is not yet available to buy outside of Kickstarter.
    A pity because it's a good one. Re-read it recently.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.

18. - Top - End - #18

Mightymosy:

Rich has said in a previous post (linked upthread) that he doesn't have a tip jar or things like that because, in his experience, that can result in people getting entitled and annoying. People that donate money will sometimes then complain that the comic isn't coming fast enough for them (e.g., "I gave you $X, where's my comic?") which can be a drag. So instead, Rich gets money by selling products, so when people give him money they get the reward right away (or after it ships) and there's no remaining "hey, you still owe me, so I want faster comics" thing going on.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by ZMiles View Post
    Mightymosy:

Rich has said in a previous post (linked upthread) that he doesn't have a tip jar or things like that because, in his experience, that can result in people getting entitled and annoying. People that donate money will sometimes then complain that the comic isn't coming fast enough for them (e.g., "I gave you $X, where's my comic?") which can be a drag. So instead, Rich gets money by selling products, so when people give him money they get the reward right away (or after it ships) and there's no remaining "hey, you still owe me, so I want faster comics" thing going on.
    People ARE already annoying, why not earn money enduring it?

Anyway, as far as i understand you can set up Patreon so that money is only collected when strips show up.
    No comic, no pay.
    Comic, pay.
    Everyone happy.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

It would kill the readership and cause a huge drop on advertising and merchandise revenues.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I regret that I missed the Kickstarter too (I think I arrived sometime during the Hiatus of The Thumb), and wish I had some mechanism off access, though I can see why commitments to KS supporters make that impossible. With regard to the 4%, on the bright side that actually show the potential for expansion, both into the 96% who haven't bought and within the 4% who have bought something but aren't compleatists (I have the first 2 books and OTOoPCs & SoD as PDFs, and will buy the rest in time as circumstances allow). Hopefully there are thousands of folk like me who will be good for another ~$50 even if Rich doesn't produce a singoe further thing.

22. - Top - End - #22

I just don't get what's wrong with buying a pay-what-you-want PDF and just paying a lot for it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    Everyone happy.
    Except Rich.

I'm 1000% positive that someone could create a script that follows the OOTS RSS feed and, every time it updates, buys a Belkar PDF at whatever price you want, then deletes it. Or, you could just go to Gumroad yourself and buy one every time a strip comes out. Either way, you want something that the creator of the strip doesn't want, so instead of presuming that you know what he wants more than he does, why don't you just find a creative way to pay him every time a comic comes out that isn't so insulting to the person creating it?

I just don't get what's wrong with buying a pay-what-you-want PDF and just paying a lot for it.
    Exactly

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    It would kill the readership and cause a huge drop on advertising and merchandise revenues.
    This does not follow. Setting up a Patreon does not mean not selling merchandise or taking out the adverts. If all he did was set a Patreon for "charges your credit card for each page published", $1 minimum, no perks, people who wanted to could sign up to provide a economic incentive to generating more freely available comics.

Yes, they could also buy a pdf and delete every time, but lets be honest here: that is a bother - first rule of salesmanship is to make it easy for the other person to give you the money. The strength of Patreon is that it handles to boring bits for you. (As to littlebum's idea, more than once my RSS feed has got a bit confused and re-listed the entire run of the comic as if it was "new". I would not trust a script that run on RSS logic, for fear I'd suddenly would be charged $1066+).

Please note, however, I am NOT recommending the Patreon. We do not have anywhere near enough facts on the finances of the comic to make a rational recommendation.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    This does not follow. Setting up a Patreon does not mean not selling merchandise or taking out the adverts. If all he did was set a Patreon for "charges your credit card for each page published", $1 minimum, no perks, people who wanted to could sign up to provide a economic incentive to generating more freely available comics.

Yes, they could also buy a pdf and delete every time, but lets be honest here: that is a bother - first rule of salesmanship is to make it easy for the other person to give you the money. The strength of Patreon is that it handles to boring bits for you. (As to littlebum's idea, more than once my RSS feed has got a bit confused and re-listed the entire run of the comic as if it was "new". I would not trust a script that run on RSS logic, for fear I'd suddenly would be charged $1066+).

Please note, however, I am NOT recommending the Patreon. We do not have anywhere near enough facts on the finances of the comic to make a rational recommendation.

Grey Wolf
    I believe martian was referring to a subscription based business model.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

26. - Top - End - #26

That's ingenious.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    How so? The online comic still free, it's just that Patreon people might get it a little earlier (or something. They could also get sketched or blueprints or whatever else the Giant sees fit as a gift).

So the difference would be that some people like me could basically pay for something they want, at a price they want, but let the Giant decide when and what he wants to deliver nevertheless, because ultimately no one would owe anyone anything - payment is done for every instance of delivery.

And new people could still come to the comic and read it for free. No issue of acquiring new readers.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club

28. - Top - End - #28

Nothing's wrong with that, if you want to do that.

It's still not something that I would like to to do, personally. I have already paid for the books, I have paid for the bonus pdfs, so why bother buying them again?
    It's not as if pumping money into kickstarter has increased comic production rate, so I simply have no incentive to spend more money "just in the hope for something happening that isn't even part of the deal".
    I'd rather spend that money on charity, like the Giant recommends in the post above (and I do, although I guess I could spend a little more; need to fix that).

But spending money on something that I actively want (more comic strips)?
    That sounds like a good deal.
    Even if the strips wouldn't actually come out faster, and even if I could theoretically still get the same strips for free, I am still paying money for something that I actually want. Does that make sense?
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    How so? The online comic still free, it's just that Patreon people might get it a little earlier (or something. They could also get sketched or blueprints or whatever else the Giant sees fit as a gift).
    Many true Nerd has a fairly successful patreon where all you get is effectively a bit of author commentary once a month. Nothing more - not even advanced versions of the videos MATN produces. The Giant could easily just post a bit of commentary of whatever is on his mind once per month in the Patreon section and call it good enough. I'd probably sign up for no perks whatsoever - just have Patreon send him a buck per posted page.

But on the other paw, this might not be all that helpful to him - chances are, this would just cannibalise other income streams. If I'd paid $274 for BRitF, I'd find it hard to justify buying the book.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

30. - Top - End - #30

Except Rich.

I'm 1000% positive that someone could create a script that follows the OOTS RSS feed and, every time it updates, buys a Belkar PDF at whatever price you want, then deletes it. Or, you could just go to Gumroad yourself and buy one every time a strip comes out. Either way, you want something that the creator of the strip doesn't want, so instead of presuming that you know what he wants more than he does, why don't you just find a creative way to pay him every time a comic comes out that isn't so insulting to the person creating it?
    [...]
    Has Rich Burlew ever said he would be unhappy with the proposal I made?

I presume nothing except these:
    - Rich Burlew wants to finish the OotS in the current format (free online webcomic)
    - Rich Burew wants to earn money (among others, to pay rent and health insurance)

I don't think these assumptions are wrong, and my suggestion doesn't contradict either one.
    I don't get where you get the information that Rich Burlew wouldn't like my suggestion. So, please tell me if he said that. If he doesn't like it, fine by me, it's just a suggestion. It's not as if I had to pay my rent with creating OotS.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club