Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by QUARE View Post
    Q123
    With an ability like the Mystic's Nomadic Step, can you teleport straight up into the air? And, if you have an X fly speed can you fly X amount afterwards?
    A123: Yes to both.
    Spoiler: Quotes in the Playground!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Welcome to the Dark Side. We have scented hand towels.
    I thought you were supposed to have cookies. I was promised cookies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Speaking as a necromancer, I just don't get why people can't leave a guy to raise a family in peace.

And they get all offended when I take some commonly-given advice and go out to make new friends.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Yes, i understand that but i was wondering if its possible for the familiar to carry 1 hand-crossbow for me to have a free hand to reload.
    We're starting to venture out of RAW territory and into ask-your-DM territory now as this is very unconventional. I will say this much based on the RAW. I don't think your familiar holding the hand crossbow for you is going to help with the action economy even if your DM does decide you can reload that crossbow with your one free hand. (It sounds very awkward but let's say he does) Well, you still have to use your one free object interaction to retrieve the crossbow from your familiar after loading it. Now you could drop it, have your familiar pick it up, and reload it but you won't have an object interaction to grab it again for the bonus action shot granted by Crossbow Expert. Even with a lenient DM this tactic would at best let you fire one shot per round normally while allowing your other hand to be holding something else, and you don't even need Crossbow Expert assuming the DM allows it. The best part of Crossbow Expert (the bonus action shot) will be wasted.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-03-26 at 12:45 AM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

3. - Top - End - #333
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BeefGood View Post
    Q138
    When does Combat start?
    A138
    When one creature takes a hostile action against another (its player announces their intention to attack, or cast a spell that the other creature would not want cast on it),

OR

When a creature discovers the threat posed by another creature (that was previously hiding its presence or intentions from it) - this usually means the discovering creature's Perception check beats the other's Stealth check, or its Insight check beats the other's Deception check.

Then surprise and initiative are determined.

After combat has started, if during a whole round, none of the combatants takes a hostile action (including actions during a chase), combat has ended and the initiative order can be abandoned.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Q141: suppose I'm two weapon fighting with a rapier and a whip. When does a creature provoke an opportunity attack from me? When it leaves my 5 ft. rapier range, when it leaves my 10 ft. whip range or both?

5. - Top - End - #335
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sjappo View Post
    Q141: suppose I'm two weapon fighting with a rapier and a whip. When does a creature provoke an opportunity attack from me? When it leaves my 5 ft. rapier range, when it leaves my 10 ft. whip range or both?
    A141: It would be your choice which distance you provoke from, either 5' or 10'. Not both.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    A141: It would be your choice which distance you provoke from, either 5' or 10'. Not both.
    A141 clarification: You only have one reaction to use every given round. Which is why it's your choice.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

7. - Top - End - #337
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

A127: No to both.

Wind step becomes your mode of movement and explicitly uses your move action. ...
    I don't have access to the Mystic source material, but I'm not sure what is meant by "explicitly uses your move action". I didn't think there were Move Actions in this edition.

8. - Top - End - #338

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by dickerson76 View Post
    I don't have access to the Mystic source material, but I'm not sure what is meant by "explicitly uses your move action". I didn't think there were Move Actions in this edition.
    There definitely aren't.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    A141 clarification: You only have one reaction to use every given round. Which is why it's your choice.
    Thank you, Arkhios and Erys. Do you have A quote on that? The SRD is not realy all that helpful.

10. - Top - End - #340

Quote Originally Posted by dickerson76 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The ability in question
    Wind Step (1–7).
    As your move, you can fly up to 20 feet for each psi point you spend. You must land at the end of this movement, otherwise you fall, unless you have some means of staying aloft.
    Emphasis mine.

While there are not move "actions" per se, in the 3.5 sense of the word; you still get an action, possibly a bonus action, and the ability to move on your turn. (As well as possibly a reaction not on your turn).

This ability does not give you a new movement mode or speed (like Wind Form does); it simply (and very straight forwardly) allows you to spend 1 - 7 psi and move 20 - 140' "as your move". If you opt to dash in the same round as you use Wind Step, the dash will be based on your normal movement mode and speed.

11. - Top - End - #341

Thank you, Arkhios and Erys. Do you have A quote on that? The SRD is not realy all that helpful.
    I have never used the SRD for 5th, but here is the PHB text:

Quote Originally Posted by Pg 190 PHB
    When you take a reaction, you can't take another one until the start of your next turn.

12. - Top - End - #342

Goblin

This ability does not give you a new movement mode or speed (like Wind Form does); it simply (and very straight forwardly) allows you to spend 1 - 7 psi and move 20 - 140' "as your move". If you opt to dash in the same round as you use Wind Step, the dash will be based on your normal movement mode and speed.
    I'd argue this was true for the v2 Mystic but the wording on Wind Step changed in the full class release to "As part of your move."

13. - Top - End - #343

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    I'd argue this was true for the v2 Mystic but the wording on Wind Step changed in the full class release to "As part of your move."
    Even so, doesn't change the fact you cannot use the ability in conjunction with a dash and that it does not get doubled when haste is applied to the character using it.

"As part of your move" you spend psi and get to move 20' per point spent, to a max of 7 points.

This ability is pretty straight forward in this regard.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

Q142: If you're on your home plane when you get banished, you're sent to a demiplane and incapacitated (which would interrupt your Concentration); however, the spell doesn't specify that you're incapacitated if you start from another plane. Can you escape another plane by Banishing yourself?
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2017-03-27 at 09:01 PM.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Troll in the Playground

A 142 Yes.

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I have never used the SRD for 5th, but here is the PHB text:
    That reaction bit I knew. But do you have a quote supporting you answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erys
    I appreciate you're answer and it sounds logically to me. But it is more detailed than the SRD or PHB says:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    You can make an opportunity attack when a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach.
    That's all I could find. Is this detailed further by sage advice? Or am I going beyond simple RAW now.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

That reaction bit I knew. But do you have a quote supporting you answer.

I appreciate you're answer and it sounds logically to me. But it is more detailed than the SRD or PHB says:

That's all I could find. Is this detailed further by sage advice? Or am I going beyond simple RAW now.
    From PHB, under Melee Attacks: Most creatures have a 5-foot reach and can thus attack targets within 5 feet of them when making a melee attack. Certain creatures (typically those larger than Medium) have melee attacks with a greater reach than 5 feet, as noted in their descriptions.

From PHB, under Weapon Properties: Reach. This weapon adds 5 feet to your reach when you attack with it.

Since everyone can make (and is proficient with) an unarmed strike (the table in PHB is faulty on this regard and has been addressed by an errata), you are always capable of making an opportunity attack when someone leaves your natural reach even if you weren't holding any weapons, or when someone leaves the reach of your weapon. But, as quoted before "When you take a reaction, you can't take another one until the start of your next turn," it falls to you to decide when you use your reaction to make an Opportunity Attack.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-03-29 at 04:13 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q142

If I have a player whose caster DC is 13, and he casts a spell with a saving throw, and the target rolls a 13 did he succeed or fail the saving throw (ie is the number need to suceed greater than the DC or equal to or greater than the DC)?

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ettin in the Playground

A142

In general, DC's need to be met, not exceeded, to succeed. So if the Spell DC is 13, after bonuses the creature making the saving throw needs at least 13.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

20. - Top - End - #350
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Q143
    If I have levels in two caster classes (Cleric and Socerer for example) what is considered my casting stat if I cast Shillelagh via Magic Initiate?

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by QUARE View Post
    Q143
    If I have levels in two caster classes (Cleric and Socerer for example) what is considered my casting stat if I cast Shillelagh via Magic Initiate?
    A143. Wisdom. (Currently) the only way you could get Shillelagh via Magic Initiate is by taking it from Druid, and your spellcasting ability for any spells gained from Magic Initiate matches the class you took the feat for. e.g. taking Magic Initiate for druid spells means you use your wisdom for those spells.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-03-30 at 07:06 AM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 144
    If I use my bonus action to cast a bonus action spell, and I get successfully counterspell'd, can I use my action during the same turnto cast a non-cantrip spell, or do the bonus action casting rules still apply even if I didnt manage to successfully cast my bonus action spell?
    Thanks in advance.
    Hacks!

23. - Top - End - #353
    Troll in the Playground

A 144 The RAW is unclear enough that you will get disagreement on that. Crawford says the spell slot is expended which strongly implies that the spell was actually cast but it was corrupted by Counterspell during casting such that it doesn't function. The spell was still cast and the slot is gone. If you accept that interpretation, then you've cast a bonus action spell (though unsuccessfully) and can now only cast a cantrip that turn. Some on this forum believe the spell is interrupted and not cast and that the slot is not even expended which implies the spell wasn't actually cast. If you follow the latter interpretation, then they could still cast a full spell.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dudewithknives View Post
    Q139

Multiple fighting styles question.

Say I have both Dual Wield fighting style and I have Dueling fighting style.

I am fighting with a short sword in main hand and a dagger in off hand.

Round starts:

I use bonus action to throw the dagger at the enemy, because it is the off hand bonus action, and I have dual wield it is 1d4 + stat if I hit.

Now I use the attack action to stab however many times with my short sword at 1d6 + stat + 2 from dueling because when I made the attack I was only wielding 1 weapon.

After that I use my interact with an object action for the round and draw another dagger to do the same then next round.

Repeat.

Is that legally how it should work?
    Completely legit providing you already had the shortsword and dagger out at the start of your turn.
    You can stow or draw one weapon as a free action per turn.
    If you take the Dual Wield Feat, that increases to stowing or drawing 2 weapons per turn.
    Last edited by FinnS; 2017-04-01 at 05:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 145

Can a disguised Rakshasa's true form be found via a True Seeing spell cast at its normal level (six)? It says it cannot be affected or detected by spells of 6th level or lower.
    Last edited by Xaroth; 2017-04-01 at 11:52 PM.
    Check out my threads:
    Video Game Characters as D&D Characters v2.0
    Anime Characters as D&D Characters v2.0

I never use Psionics in my games.

Avatar by the amazing AsteriskAmp!

Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    Gold Dragon - Go Bard.

Alter Form into Elvis Presley. You are now the KING!

26. - Top - End - #356

Quote Originally Posted by Xaroth View Post
    Q 145

Can a disguised Rakshasa's true form be found via a True Seeing spell cast at its normal level (six)? It says it cannot be affected or detected by spells of 6th level or lower.
    A145: Since it says "affected or detected": yes, a Rakshasa's true form would not be revealed if True Seeing is used at 6th.

Edit: Fixed incorrect answer.
    Last edited by Erys; 2017-04-02 at 11:41 PM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

A145 If it said "affected or detected" then yes, a Rakshasa's true form would not be revealed if True Seeing is used at 6th.

BUT, my MM only says "immune to spells of 6th or lower"; and therefore suggest his immunity would not come into play against such magics. Spells like True Seeing and Detect Magic do not affect, or really even interact, with their 'Targets' directly. Instead, they simply pierce/perceive the magics that are in use on a particular creature, and the normal rules apply.

Now if the Rakshasa manages to gain access to Nondetection... then you're likely to never known his true natural form.

Unless, of course, he wants you to.
    Q146 (A follow-up from 145): Can Turn the Faithless (Oath of the Ancients Paladin's Channel Divinity) reveal a shapeshifted Rakshasa's true form? Even through nondetection? I would assume yes, because Channel Divinity is not a spell.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-04-02 at 04:11 AM.
    My Homebrew:

3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

28. - Top - End - #358
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q147 - Reckless Attack

Quote Originally Posted by The PHB
    Reckless Attack

Starting at 2nd level, you can throw aside all concern for defense to Attack with fierce desperation. When you make your first Attack on Your Turn, you can decide to Attack recklessly. Doing so gives you advantage on melee weapon Attack rolls using Strength during this turn, but Attack rolls against you have advantage until your next turn.
    Does the advantage granted against you apply to all attacks, or just melee attacks?

29. - Top - End - #359

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Escribblings View Post
    Q147 - Reckless Attack

Does the advantage granted against you apply to all attacks, or just melee attacks?
    All attack rolls have advantage against you until your next turn.

30. - Top - End - #360

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Q146 (A follow-up from 145): Can Turn the Faithless (Oath of the Ancients Paladin's Channel Divinity) reveal a shapeshifted Rakshasa's true form? Even through nondetection? I would assume yes, because Channel Divinity is not a spell.
    A146 Turn the Faithless would definitely break any illusions the Rakshasa is using if successful and while active.

The trick is knowing to use it in the first place.