New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #421
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Q 170

The description of Talisman of Pure Good says "An evil creature takes 8d6 radiant damage upon touching the talisman". It seems to be implied that this effect happens regardless of whether it is attuned to anyone at the time. Could a good aligned character essentially wield the talisman as a weapon by touching bad things with it?
    "I don't even really see the point of trying to phone up an archfiend if there isn't at least a *little* chance it'll make my mind explode."

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

A 170

Strictly speaking, you might be correct. But the wording chosen strongly implies that the evil creature must actively make contact with the talisman, not passively be contacted by it, so I would say they would not take damage just for getting tapped by the talisman.

I'm fairly confident in stating that's consistent with the RAI as well. If it was intended to be used as a weapon it would have said so.

Powers &8^]

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    The RAW answer is that when your constitution increases you act as though your constitution had ALWAYS been that score. From the Constitution section of the SRD:

So in your case you would add three more hit points and then roll a hit die +4.
    Adding to this answear:

Basically, the formula is:

1) You multiply your previous con mod with your previous level. Substract the result from your HP maximum

2) You multiply your new con mod with your new level. Add it to your HP maximum.

PS: You can add your new hit die to the mentioned HP maximum before or after applying the formula, as it does not change a thing.

That said, there is a simpler way to do this, that does not include a formula: Whenever your Con Mod changes positivelly, add your curent level to your HP maximum. Since there is no RAW way to change your Con mod by more than +1 at the same time, this is the simple way to do it. Rince and repeat whenever your Con mod changes positivelly again. In the reverse case, you just substract the amound of Con mod you lost multiplyed by your level from your con max. But it's a rare case, as ability damage is very situational in this edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Pippin Boyd View Post
    Q 170

The description of Talisman of Pure Good says "An evil creature takes 8d6 radiant damage upon touching the talisman". It seems to be implied that this effect happens regardless of whether it is attuned to anyone at the time. Could a good aligned character essentially wield the talisman as a weapon by touching bad things with it?

It is legit, the way I see it, however it would be an improvised weapon, as a Talisman is not designed as a weapon. Thus, you would wield it with your str mod alone. Now, there could be some ways to turn this around, but it's up to your DM to allow them:

A) Attach to a Weapon: You could use it on the tip of a flail instead of a spiked ball, the tip of a Whipe or some other melee weapon. This way, your attack roll would include proficiency bonus, as long as you are proficient with the weapon in question.

B) Use as amunition to a sling: The basic theory is that a rock, by itself is an improvised weapon. but with a sling it becomes amunition. I am not saying it's the best use, but it may be a good solution to end a foe.

C) Use as a trap: Use minor illusion on it to discuise it as something valuable (to an evil character), and make a bluff check that it sliped from you, and that the Evil Character must NOT get his hands on it.

D) Use Mage Hand (Especially as an Arcane Trickster), to slip it in the pocket of an enemy. Even if he notices, he will try to remove it, thus getting the damage. If he does not, it's on his person, thus he also gets the damage.

E) Wear it on a grapled opponent. Tightly so that he won't be able to remove it.

There are loads of creative ways to use magic items in a way that is not their primary function, as long as you like out of the box thinking.
    Last edited by Asmotherion; 2017-04-18 at 01:12 PM.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

4. - Top - End - #424
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Q 171

I'm a new 5e adopter, and I think I may be letting 3e rules cloud my understanding of the 5e casting rules. Can a Ranger with a Wisdom of 8 cast any spells? I had assumed no, since his Wisdom is too low. But now I'm actually trying to find if it says that anywhere, and I can't find it in the Ranger (or any other class) description, and I don't see such a rule in Chapter 10, either.

Can a 4th level Ranger with a Wisdom of 8 cast spells, and his only real disadvantage is his low casting stat modifier (–1), which may impact how many spells he can cast, and how effective they are?

If the rule is plain, and my eyes are just missing it, please give me a page number and heading to look under. Thanks.

5. - Top - End - #425

A171

There is no minimum attribute required to cast a spell. As you say, a number of spells will be less effective, but the Ranger could still try (and some, like Hunter's Mark, don't depend on the spellcasting stat at all). Also, note that the number of spell slots (and thus the number of spells that can be cast per long rest) are fixed and don't depend on the spellcasting attribute. What usually does change is spells known (or spells prepared, in the case of prepared spellcasters like Clerics)

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rysto View Post
    A171

There is no minimum attribute required to cast a spell. As you say, a number of spells will be less effective, but the Ranger could still try (and some, like Hunter's Mark, don't depend on the spellcasting stat at all). Also, note that the number of spell slots (and thus the number of spells that can be cast per long rest) are fixed and don't depend on the spellcasting attribute. What usually does change is spells known (or spells prepared, in the case of prepared spellcasters like Clerics)
    A171-Clarification
    Classes which have spells known (instead of spells prepared) will always have the same fixed amount of spells known, because their spellcasting modifier does not affect that number shown in their class table.
    A wisdom 8 ranger has just as many spells known (and spell slots) as a ranger with wisdom 20 would have at any given level.
    As a ranger, negative (and/or positive) wisdom modifier only applies to your spell attack bonus and spellcasting save DC, and occasionally the results of a spell (cure wounds cast from a 1st level slot (1d8-1), for example, might result with 0 hit points gained).
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-04-22 at 01:33 AM.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q172:
    Storm's Fury (Storm Sorcery) - does the additional push effect depend on the initial Reaction used to deal damage to an attacker who hit you with a melee attack, or does any melee hit always result with the 20 feet push on a failed save?
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-04-23 at 12:31 AM.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Halfling in the Playground

Q173 :
    Would Assassinate be triggered if an Assassin tricks someone into drinking acid ?

Spoiler: Who am I ?
    Show
    Alignment:
    LG - 10%
    NG- 8%
    CG - 5%
    LN- 12%
    N - 12%
    CN - 7%
    LE - 18%
    NE - 16%
    CE - 12%

Race:
    Human - 23%
    Dwarf - 14%
    Elf - 11%
    Gnome - 18%
    Halfling - 11%
    Half-Elf - 12%
    Half-Orc - 11%

Class:
    Barbarian - 5%
    Bard - 7%
    Cleric - 16%
    Druid - 4%
    Fighter - 9%
    Monk - 7%
    Paladin - 9%
    Ranger - 9%
    Rogue - 12%
    Sorcerer - 7%
    Wizard - 15%

9. - Top - End - #429

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shinn View Post
    Q173 :
    Would Assassinate be triggered if an Assassin tricks someone into drinking acid ?
    Edit: A173
    No hits have been scored, so no.
    Last edited by Lombra; 2017-04-23 at 04:27 AM.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

A 173 additional: Maybe if the assassin bumped the cup the person was drinking from, that could count as using the acid for an attack. It's up to the DM.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

11. - Top - End - #431

Quote Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinn View Post
    Q173 :
    A173
    No hits have been scored, so no.
    This is the correct answer by RAW. Assassinate triggers on a successful Attack. No Attack = no Assassinate.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Q172:
    Storm's Fury (Storm Sorcery) - does the additional push effect depend on the initial Reaction used to deal damage to an attacker who hit you with a melee attack, or does any melee hit always result with the 20 feet push on a failed save?
    A172: The push effect happens in lieu of the damage, and is part of the reaction spent.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Q 174

With the cantrip Lightnig Lure, it says that the target must make a Strength Saving Throw or be pulled up to 10 feet towards you and then take 1d8 damage if they are within 5 feet of you. My question is, if you are within 5 feet of the target first, can you simply not pull them any distance and get a free 1d8 damage?

13. - Top - End - #433
    Troll in the Playground

A 174 Sure, but I'd posit it's hardly free anymore than spending your action to cast any other cantrip that forces a save or deals damage, e.g. Sacred Flame.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

14. - Top - End - #434

How does the different skill feats work with Expertise in case i already have proficiency?

I mean... the feat give me double proficiency in something if i already have prof, so what would happen if i also take Expertise?

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    How does the different skill feats work with Expertise in case i already have proficiency?

I mean... the feat give me double proficiency in something if i already have prof, so what would happen if i also take Expertise?
    The set of rules that talk specifically about prof talk about how you can only multiples of your proficiency bonus and it can only go as high as double. So you would not get any benefit from expertise on that skill if you already get to use double your prof bonus on that check.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

16. - Top - End - #436

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    The set of rules that talk specifically about prof talk about how you can only multiples of your proficiency bonus and it can only go as high as double. So you would not get any benefit from expertise on that skill if you already get to use double your prof bonus on that check.
    Thanks for the info

17. - Top - End - #437

Q175 How big as a Portable Hole? The hole itself (the entrance) can be, at max, 6 feet in diameter, but inside how it is? it says that it creates an extradimensional hole 10 feet deep (so it basically make a small whole of 10 feet) but as far as i know, that's what you see, not its actual size, so in theory, if you put a Portable Hole at the bottom of the sea, will it, eventually, get full? or will just stay there for thousands of years (its not like its going to drain the water so fast to make an actual change in a short time -Would need years, for people to actually notice anything other than the whirlpool that have formed on top of the hole-)
    Last edited by Maxilian; 2017-04-25 at 03:36 PM.

18. - Top - End - #438

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Q175 How big as a Portable Hole? The hole itself (the entrance) can be, at max, 6 feet in diameter, but inside how it is? it says that it creates an extradimensional hole 10 feet deep (so it basically make a small whole of 10 feet) but as far as i know, that's what you see, not its actual size, so in theory, if you put a Portable Hole at the bottom of the sea, will it, eventually, get full? or will just stay there for thousands of years (its not like its going to drain the water so fast to make an actual change in a short time -Would need years, for people to actually notice anything other than the whirlpool that have formed on top of the hole-)
    A175 I believe that it's intended effective volume is the one of a 6ft diameter, 10ft tall cilinder. Althaugh it's not specified.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Pixie in the Playground

Q176 At what point does a character stop being surprised?

For example: Alice, an assassin rogue, succesfully sneaks up on Bob. Bob is surprised. Initiatives are rolled. Bob rolls higher on initiative.

Round 1 begins:
    - Turn 1 Bob: Surprised. Cannot take actions, movement
    Bob can now take reactions. [Surprised ends here?]
    - Turn 1 Alice: Alice attacks Bob. Alice gains advantage from being unseen. Alice gains sneak attack from having advantage. Does Alice gain benefit from Death Strike?
    Round 1 ends. [Surprised ends here?]

20. - Top - End - #440
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by yPants View Post
    Q176 At what point does a character stop being surprised?

For example: Alice, an assassin rogue, succesfully sneaks up on Bob. Bob is surprised. Initiatives are rolled. Bob rolls higher on initiative.

Round 1 begins:
    - Turn 1 Bob: Surprised. Cannot take actions, movement
    Bob can now take reactions. [Surprised ends here?]
    - Turn 1 Alice: Alice attacks Bob. Alice gains advantage from being unseen. Alice gains sneak attack from having advantage. Does Alice gain benefit from Death Strike?
    Round 1 ends. [Surprised ends here?]
    A176 At the end of their turn. Alice does not get Death Strike, nor does she get Assassinate.
    Spoiler: Quotes in the Playground!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Welcome to the Dark Side. We have scented hand towels.
    I thought you were supposed to have cookies. I was promised cookies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Speaking as a necromancer, I just don't get why people can't leave a guy to raise a family in peace.

And they get all offended when I take some commonly-given advice and go out to make new friends.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q177 - Can you create a pact weapon AND transform one, then choose?

I'm guessing one or the other, but I'm not 100% on this

Pact of the Blade
    You can use your action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it (see the Weapons section for weapon options). You are proficient with it while you wield it. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.

Your pact weapon disappears if it is more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more. It also disappears if you use this feature again, if you dismiss the weapon (no action required), or if you die.

You can transform one magic weapon into your pact weapon by performing a special ritual while you hold the weapon. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. You can then dismiss the weapon, shunting it into an extradimensional space, and it appears whenever you create your pact weapon thereafter. You can’t affect an artifact or a sentient weapon in this way. The weapon ceases being your pact weapon if you die, if you perform the 1-hour ritual on a different weapon, or if you use a 1-hour ritual to break your bond to it. The weapon appears at your feet if it is in the extradimensional space when the bond breaks.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Q 178

Q:178If you combine the feat Polearm Master with the cantrip Shillelagh, does the "other end" attack also become 1d8 instead of 1d4?

23. - Top - End - #443
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Q 178

Quote Originally Posted by Jodokai View Post
    Q:178If you combine the feat Polearm Master with the cantrip Shillelagh, does the "other end" attack also become 1d8 instead of 1d4?
    A178

I found this on Stack Exchange
    The Shillelagh spell description, in relevant part:

For the duration, you can use your spellcasting ability instead of Strength for the attack and damage rolls of melee attacks using that weapon, and the weapon's damage die becomes a d8. (PHB, p. 275)
    As written, the spell applies to all melee attacks with the affected weapon. It is not limited to only the Attack action. The Polearm Master feat, in relevant part:

When you take the Attack action and attack with only a [...] quarterstaff, you can use a bonus action to make a melee attack with the opposite end of the weapon. The weapon’s damage die for this attack is a d4. [Emphasis added] (PHB, p. 168)
    The bonus attack is a melee attack, so you would be allowed to use your casting ability for the attack and damage rolls of the bonus attack (and the Attack action). However, while the Attack action uses a d8 for damage per the Shillelagh spell, the bonus attack uses a d4 damage die per the Polearm Master feat. This interaction was clarified by 5e designer and "official rules expert" Jeremy Crawford on 23 August 2014 in the following tweet exchange. When asked:

@JeremyECrawford If I cast Shillelagh on my quarterstaff and have Polearm Master feat, does the bonus attack deal d4 or d8?
    Crawford replied:
    @ArtificerAlf The bonus attack would use a d4. I like it: druid master of polearms!
    The fact that Crawford did not say anything else of their interaction also supports the use of casting ability instead of STR for the attack and damage rolls.
    Last edited by Escribblings; 2017-04-26 at 12:17 PM.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q179 - Do Aasimar racial spells use slots?

Celestial Legacy.
    You know the light can trip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the lesser restoration spell once with this trait, and you regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. Once you reach 5th level, you can cast the daylight spell once with this trait as a 3rd-level spell, and you regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
    I'm assuming, for reasons of balance with non casting classes, that these run alongside your spell slots, just seeking confirmation.

25. - Top - End - #445

Quote Originally Posted by Escribblings View Post
    Q179 - Do Aasimar racial spells use slots?

I'm assuming, for reasons of balance with non casting classes, that these run alongside your spell slots, just seeking confirmation.
    A179
    You're right, it's the same language as they use for Tieflings' Infernal Legacy spells. The race feature gives you permission to use the spell (and specifies the level, which would be determined by the spell slot you used otherwise) rather than a class's spellcasting feature doing it, so it's not tied to spell slots.
    Last edited by Lord Il Palazzo; 2017-04-26 at 06:05 PM.

26. - Top - End - #446

Quote Originally Posted by Escribblings View Post
    Q177 - Can you create a pact weapon AND transform one, then choose?

I'm guessing one or the other, but I'm not 100% on this
    A177: You can either create a pact weapon or transform an existing weapon to you pact weapon.

Additionally, if you transform a magical weapon to your pact weapon, you cannot change it to a different weapon later.

27. - Top - End - #447

Q180 - Do polymorphed vampires lose their Sunlight Hypersenstivity?
    How about other Vampire Weaknesses? Getting around forbiddance that way seems weird.

28. - Top - End - #448

Quote Originally Posted by Zejety View Post
    Q180 - Do polymorphed vampires lose their Sunlight Hypersenstivity?
    How about other Vampire Weaknesses? Getting around forbiddance that way seems weird.
    A180 Polymorph says that "The target's game Statistics, including mental Ability Scores, are replaced by the Statistics of the chosen beast." As such, the vampire should lose all of its abilities (including the Vampire Weaknesses ones) and have them replaced with whatever abilities the beast it's polymorphed into has instead. (It is a bit weird so I could see a DM ruling that the curse that made the creature a vampire is stronger than the Polymorph spell so the vampire keeps its weaknesses, but by RAW they're part of a vampire's statistics so they're gone.)

Do note that the vampire is a Shapechanger so it automatically succeeds on its saving throw if it isn't willing to be polymorphed so you can't turn a vampire into a fish and then throw him into a river so he takes running water damage when the spell ends or anything like that.
    Last edited by Lord Il Palazzo; 2017-04-27 at 01:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Susie was knocked unconscious last round. She has an armour class of 12 (or whatever) is hit by a zombie (or whatever) who rolls a 13 (or whatever). Does this count as one failed death saving throw or two?

30. - Top - End - #450

Quote Originally Posted by Grizl' Bjorn View Post
    Susie was knocked unconscious last round. She has an armour class of 12 (or whatever) is hit by a zombie (or whatever) who rolls a 13 (or whatever). Does this count as one failed death saving throw or two?
    A181 Susie taking damage while she's at 0 HP counts as 1 failed death saving throw. If the damage was from a critical hit, it counts as 2 failed death saving throws instead.