New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #511
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by visitor View Post
    Q 205

How does an antimagic field (as per spell) effect damage immunity from non-magical weapons? Would a party in an antimagic field facing werewolves just be out of luck?
    As far as I have seen there are no rules saying that damage immunity to non-magical weapons is magical unlike in 3e where it was stipulated as being supernatural.

However you are not out of luck no matter what because you can still use silver weapons even with no magic.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

2. - Top - End - #512
    Orc in the Playground

Q 206

Is there any kind of feat that allows you to throw any melee weapon for their original damage, even if it does not have the Thrown property? A feat like that might not be too useful, but I am wondering...
    Last edited by CrackedChair; 2017-06-10 at 01:26 PM.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSymphony View Post
    Q 206

Is there any kind of feat that allows you to throw any melee weapon for their original damage, even if it does not have the Thrown property? A feat like that might not be too useful, but I am wondering...
    A206. Not any specific feats, no. But I guess you could do it via Tavern Brawler.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 207 what knowledge would cover identifying aberrations?

5. - Top - End - #515
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elric VIII View Post
    Q 207 what knowledge would cover identifying aberrations?
    A 207 By RAW, there isn't any specific skill for this. A basic intelligence check can be used to represent memory or education. An Intelligence (Arcana) check can specifically recall lore about "eldritch symbols, magical traditions, the planes of existence, and the inhabitants of those planes" which might cover some aberrations, but wouldn't apply for all aberration situations.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Orc in the Playground

Q 208

When I am mounted on a creature that is large, such as a Warhorse, do I gain the reach of the creature in question? I.E, 10 feet?

7. - Top - End - #517
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSymphony View Post
    Q 208

When I am mounted on a creature that is large, such as a Warhorse, do I gain the reach of the creature in question? I.E, 10 feet?
    No. Your reach does not change when you are mounted. Additionally, warhorses do not have a 10 foot reach, nor do many other large sized creatures. There is no blanket rule on this and if a creature has reach it will be specified in their stat block.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Pixie in the Playground

Character has multi class levels in both cleric and warlock with the pact of the tome feature. This allows them to take the Shillelagh cantrip as a warlock cantrip. Once cast, An effected weapon now uses the characters spell casting ability to hit. Can this spell casting ability be either wisdom (cleric) or charisma (warlock)?

The spell quotes "For the duration, you can use your spellcasting ability instead of Strength for the attack... "

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ebbisis View Post
    Q209
    Character has multi class levels in both cleric and warlock with the pact of the tome feature. This allows them to take the Shillelagh cantrip as a warlock cantrip. Once cast, An effected weapon now uses the characters spell casting ability to hit. Can this spell casting ability be either wisdom (cleric) or charisma (warlock)?

The spell quotes "For the duration, you can use your spellcasting ability instead of Strength for the attack... "
    A209
    Spells always refer to the spellcasting ability of the class which list the spell is cast from. So, it's Charisma for Tome Pact Warlock. You don't get to choose.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-06-14 at 05:57 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

10. - Top - End - #520
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Q210

If a creature is moving away from someone by burrowing into the ground, or by phasing through a wall, does an adjacent enemy get an opportunity attack against them. Do they get an opportunity attack because the attack happens before they move out of range, or do they not get it because they are underground or through the wall when the opportunity attack triggers?

11. - Top - End - #521

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar View Post
    Q210

If a creature is moving away from someone by burrowing into the ground, or by phasing through a wall, does an adjacent enemy get an opportunity attack against them. Do they get an opportunity attack because the attack happens before they move out of range, or do they not get it because they are underground or through the wall when the opportunity attack triggers?
    A210
    The rules for opportunity attacks say that "The attack occurs right before the creature leaves your reach" so the creature wouldn't be underground or through a wall when the opportunity attack happens (and nothing in the rules says that it would matter if the creature would have cover from you after the move.) Because of this, the adjacent enemy would get its opportunity attack as normal and it wouldn't be affected (e.g. disadvantage wouldn't be applied) by where the creature was moving to (e.g. underground or through a wall.)

12. - Top - End - #522
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Il Palazzo View Post
    A210
    The rules for opportunity attacks say that "The attack occurs right before the creature leaves your reach" so the creature wouldn't be underground or through a wall when the opportunity attack happens (and nothing in the rules says that it would matter if the creature would have cover from you after the move.) Because of this, the adjacent enemy would get its opportunity attack as normal and it wouldn't be affected (e.g. disadvantage wouldn't be applied) by where the creature was moving to (e.g. underground or through a wall.)
    In regards to moving underground though, once they burrow, when their body becomes fully underground, wouldn't they still be within 5th of the attacker, just at/underneath their feet? So if the creature is still technically within your reach, just underground, but moves further underground, how does that work.

And at the wall, would it depend how they are aligned with the wall, if both people are next to the wall, and one phases through, the one phasing through the wall is still technically within the 5ft reach, just with a wall in between them now.

13. - Top - End - #523

In regards to moving underground though, once they burrow, when their body becomes fully underground, wouldn't they still be within 5th of the attacker, just at/underneath their feet? So if the creature is still technically within your reach, just underground, but moves further underground, how does that work.

And at the wall, would it depend how they are aligned with the wall, if both people are next to the wall, and one phases through, the one phasing through the wall is still technically within the 5ft reach, just with a wall in between them now.
    R210
    This is an RAW thread and the rules don't really say anything about it. What they do say is that the opportunity attack happens before the target leaves your range, so it would have to happen before they are fully underground or inside the wall. Your DM is free to rule that they have partial cover (and I might do the same as a DM, depending on the circumstances) but the rules don't spell it out one way or the other.

14. - Top - End - #524

ClericGuy

A210 b
    In order to not be able to hit something it means that that something is no longer within your reach, for example you can't reach inside a wall or the terrain so the target is effectively leaving the character's reach, even if it is still within 5 ft of the character.
    English isn't my first language, so I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 211
    How do AoE's affect creatures larger than medium?
    Do these creatures have to be completely within the area of effect, or is it enough if just a part of them is?
    Hacks!

16. - Top - End - #526

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Q 211
    How do AoE's affect creatures larger than medium?
    Do these creatures have to be completely within the area of effect, or is it enough if just a part of them is?
    A 211

The latter is correct
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q 212:
    If a 5th level fighter readies an attack action, how many attacks does he get to do when the action is triggered? 2 because of his "Extra Attack" ability or 1 because he's attacking out of his turn?

18. - Top - End - #528

Quote Originally Posted by Morphie View Post
    Q 212:
    If a 5th level fighter readies an attack action, how many attacks does he get to do when the action is triggered? 2 because of his "Extra Attack" ability or 1 because he's attacking out of his turn?
    A 212
    The Extra Attack feature says that "you can attack, twice instead of once, when you take the Attack action on your turn". If you're taking the Attack action during another character's turn (such as by using a readied action) you only get to make one attack.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Troll in the Playground

Q 213 Character with a +1 shortbow fires at a target inside an anti-magic field. What seems obvious is the attack would not be considered magical for resistances but does the +1 still apply to attack and/or dmg?

It should be obvious this being the Simple RAW thread, but I am looking for whether this is ever addressed anywhere, even indirectly. I might get opinions in another thread.
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-06-19 at 07:46 AM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

20. - Top - End - #530

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    Q 213 Character with a +1 shortbow fires at a target inside an anti-magic field. What seems obvious is the attack would not be considered magical for resistances but does the +1 still apply to attack and/or dmg?

It should be obvious this being the Simple RAW thread, but I am looking for whether this is ever addressed anywhere, even indirectly. I might get opinions in another thread.
    A 213

The attack resolves normally because the bow isn't affected by the antimagic field, but if the arrow is magical then it would count as non-magical within the field, the bonus to the damage roll and attack roll would then fade.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q214

What you can do while hiding (RAW)?

I know that attack actions break stealth (unless at range, with a missed attack, via Skulker). I know that if your cover disappears, you become visible. I know that stealth/hiding is contested by perception.

However, a DM for a group I recently joined has said that ANY action, nomatter the type, breaks stealth and hiding- including non-"active" actions such as perception.

For example, I might hide. If I roll a perception, the DM treats me as having broken my stealth, requiring an additional turn and an additional stealth roll. If I climb, I am considered to have broken stealth- even if what I am climbing something which has cover/is hidden/in the dark/etc.

Intuitively, "looking and listening" ought not to be an "action" enough that it might break stealth- nor should climbing. Per my own perusing of the PHB, the only things that break stealth are attacks (sans Skulker) or the opposition doing something to find you (or you flubbing your own stealth by "knocking a vase over," etc.

So, to reiterate, what are the RAW actions allowed vs disallowed while stealthed?

22. - Top - End - #532
    Troll in the Playground

A 214 You're using inaccurate verbiage. There is no "break stealth". There is being hidden and what reveals you. Any time you want to hide, you have to be able to get out of sight, i.e. find a hiding place.

Other than attacking which definitely reveals you, a lot of this is left to DM discretion to decide. But consider that anything which could potentially make a noise could reveal you since hidden entails remaining both unseen and unheard.

DISCLAIMER: Venturing out of RAW a bit.
    Thus I think it reasonable if DMs would make you take another action to make a stealth roll if you move from your location in any way, particularly climbing. If you're out of sight already, like around a bend in a corridor, and enemies haven't yet discovered you, then a stealth roll would seem reasonable to me to make any movements at all while trying to remain unheard. This is why Cunning Action is so nice. You can use your movement and still get an action on the same round when you're using stealth (as a bonus action).
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ettin in the Playground

R 214 Your DM might be considering that you must take the Hide action every turn in order to stay hidden*, even outside of combat**. Taking any other action, including Search, means you are no longer trying to hide, and thus are found***.

* This is debated.
    ** So is this.
    *** And this too, oh boy!

24. - Top - End - #534
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q215If I grapple and then shove and he's prone, does that end my grapple? Can I still remain standing while grappling someone who is prone?

Lemme give you an example. One of my players is going down this road with his character.

Example: I'm a raging barb, I grapple the Orc. Next round I shove him and now he's prone. Can I remain standing while grappling the Orc on the ground, maybe fighting off another Orc with my sword, or dropping my sword and trying to grab another Orc, grappling him and shoving him prone? Now I have two orcs grappled and prone on their back and me still standing....
    Um how does that actually happen? Looks far fetched. HoweverI feel like this whole scenario is within the RAW. someone prove me wrong please, cuz next its gonna be two casters.
    Last edited by Dmdork; 2017-06-20 at 01:03 PM.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q216 Spells cast on a "point." Is the 'point' of target RAW allowed to be on an object, and thus as movable as the object?

Assume, for example, the spell "silence."

For the duration, no sound can be created within or pass through a 20-foot-radius sphere centered on a point you choose within range.
    (Of course, emphasis mine).

I've been running things such that the "point" chosen is determined by what you aim it at. For example, Silence cast in the center of a room would be centered on the center of the room. Contrastingly, if one cast "silence" on a point on an arrow-shaft, then fired that arrow, so long as the arrow's target was within spell range (i.e. 120 feet), the "bubble of silence" would remain centered around the arrow, even as the arrow moves.

Similarly, walls of stone cast on a boat would theoretically not tear the ship in half as it moves on the waves, instead being anchored to the deck. etc.

Does the RAW allow this?
    Last edited by Willowran; 2017-06-19 at 11:05 PM.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q217if a wizard is within the reach of my axe and teleports away, does that trigger an opportunity attack?

27. - Top - End - #537

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q217if a wizard is within the reach of my axe and teleports away, does that trigger an opportunity attack?
    No.

"You can avoid provoking an opportunity attack by taking the Disengage action. You also don’t provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction. For example, you don’t provoke an opportunity attack if an explosion hurls you out of a foe’s reach or if gravity causes you to fall past an enemy."
    Last edited by Arial Black; 2017-06-20 at 12:18 PM.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ettin in the Playground

A 215 Your grapple doesn't end and you do not have to become prone yourself. At least, I don't see anything that would indicate otherwise.

A 216 PHB p204, "Typically, a point of origin is a point in space, but some spells have an area whose origin is a creature or an object", so I would say it is assumed to be a point in space unless the spell says creature or object.

A 217 As Arial Black said, teleportation is mentioned in the rules on opportunity attacks as not provoking one. And really, it is just an example of a creature moving without using its movement, which never provokes an opportunity attack.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

Q215If I grapple and then shove and he's prone, does that end my grapple?
    A215

There are only four ways for a grapple to end:

1. The grappler releases the target. (Page 195)
    2. The grappled target successfully uses the 'Escaping a Grapple' action. (Page 195)
    3. The grappler becomes incapacitated. (Page 290)
    4. An effect removes the grappled target from the reach of the grappler. (Page 290)

someone prove me wrong please, cuz next its gonna be two casters.
    Is that a problem? Grappling does not prevent spellcasting, nor really even hinder it much, with the exception of ranged spell attacks.

Powers &8^]

30. - Top - End - #540
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Q215If I grapple and then shove and he's prone, does that end my grapple? Can I still remain standing while grappling someone who is prone?

Lemme give you an example. One of my players is going down this road with his character.

Example: I'm a raging barb, I grapple the Orc. Next round I shove him and now he's prone. Can I remain standing while grappling the Orc on the ground, maybe fighting off another Orc with my sword, or dropping my sword and trying to grab another Orc, grappling him and shoving him prone? Now I have two orcs grappled and prone on their back and me still standing....
    Um how does that actually happen? Looks far fetched. HoweverI feel like this whole scenario is within the RAW. someone prove me wrong please, cuz next its gonna be two casters.
    A215This question is getting into the fuzzy realm of DM interpretation. From my perspective of reading the rules, if someone were to ask this at the table I DM, I'd say that grappling and shoving are mutually exclusive actions, one is intended to hold the enemy close, where as the other is to push them away from you. As already stated grappling ends when effect removes the grappled target from the reach of the grappler. You need one free hand to grapple an individual. I would rule that a prone individual is out of reach of a standing person without also going down with them. Though it could be argued that a prone person is in reach of a kneeling person, and there is no real rules for kneeling.

If you want to bring a grappled person to a prone position, you don't need to shove them though. You can use the rules of moving while grappling, and move them to the ground at half speed.