New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #601
    Halfling in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q241 The Dragonwings from HotDQ are cultists that have 'fanatical advantage', which gives them an extra 2d6 dam if they are attacking with advantage. Then, the scimitar does d6 dam, and an extra d6 acid damage.
    Do I double all that on a critical hit?
    A241: Yes. On a critical hit, you roll all of the attack's damage dice twice and add them together. Then apply any static modifiers.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q242 this elf boss Neronvain from HotDQ has an action called Poisonous Cloud (2/day). It says each creature that starts its turn in the cloud makes a con save or is poisoned for 1min. A creature can repeat the saving throw at end of each of its turns, ending the effect......
    Does that mean if I fail the save (at the start of my turn), I can make another save (at the end of my turn, same round)?

3. - Top - End - #603
    Troll in the Playground

A 242 Yes. You have the negative impacts of being poisoned during your turn (including disadvantage on attacks, I think) and then get a chance to recover at the end of your turn. A lot of affects work this way.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

4. - Top - End - #604
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q243
    Monk ability Unarmored Movement says "At 9th level you gain the ability to move along vertical surfaces and across liquids on your turn without falling during the move."

First, this doesn't change the monk's movement, correct? For example, if he's on a wall, he still moves at half speed?

Second, When he ends his move (such as at the end of his turn), if he hasn't found a ledge, is it likely he needs to make a climb check to keep from falling at that time?

5. - Top - End - #605
    Orc in the Playground

Q244

So a bit of a question about the Martial Adept feat. Let's say I am a Variant human and take this feat at level 1. When I get to level 3 and choose to be a Battle master, do my dice upgrade? Like, do they become a d8 and become added to the supeiority dice I have?

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSymphony View Post
    Q244

So a bit of a question about the Martial Adept feat. Let's say I am a Variant human and take this feat at level 1. When I get to level 3 and choose to be a Battle master, do my dice upgrade? Like, do they become a d8 and become added to the supeiority dice I have?
    A244

Yes. The feat's effects and Battle Master activate retroactively as well as proactively.

Further proof provided by obeseboywonder elsewhere (thank you!)

Quote Originally Posted by obeseboywonder View Post
    From the Errata:

"Martial Adept (p. 168). The superiority
    die is added to any others you have, no
    matter when you gain them"
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-07-14 at 12:54 PM.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Samayu View Post
    Q243
    Monk ability Unarmored Movement says "At 9th level you gain the ability to move along vertical surfaces and across liquids on your turn without falling during the move."

First, this doesn't change the monk's movement, correct? For example, if he's on a wall, he still moves at half speed?

Second, When he ends his move (such as at the end of his turn), if he hasn't found a ledge, is it likely he needs to make a climb check to keep from falling at that time?
    No, this ability lets you 'move along vertical surfaces', such as a wall, without climbing! You are literally walking on that wall, not climbing. Therefore, he is not moving at half speed on the grounds that he is climbing, because he isn't!

At the end of his move then this ability effectively 'switches off', and the normal things would happen to him; if he is half-way up a wall he will begin to fall, because he is walking not climbing. If he has reached the top or a ledge or something, then he is golden.

8. - Top - End - #608

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    A244

Yes. The feat's effects and Battle Master activate retroactively as well as proactively.
    R244 Devil's advocate/requesting clarification:
    I think that's a reasonable ruling and possibly RAI, but by RAW wouldn't the feat have to say the superiority die upgrades if you gain other superiority dice later? The only other feat I can think of that can improve after you originally take it is Tough which spells out that it applies retroactively and to future level ups, which Martial Adept doesn't do.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Il Palazzo View Post
    R244 Devil's advocate/requesting clarification:
    I think that's a reasonable ruling and possibly RAI, but by RAW wouldn't the feat have to say the superiority die upgrades if you gain other superiority dice later? The only other feat I can think of that can improve after you originally take it is Tough which spells out that it applies retroactively and to future level ups, which Martial Adept doesn't do.
    A244

At level 3, you could argue that you have one d6 and four d8 dice, but at level 10, the Battle Master's dice become d10s. I would say it's arguably RAW that that includes the Martial Adept die.

Powers &8^]

10. - Top - End - #610

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    A244

At level 3, you could argue that you have one d6 and four d8 dice, but at level 10, the Battle Master's dice become d10s. I would say it's arguably RAW that that includes the Martial Adept die.
    R244

Agreed. I don't think there's an RAW basis for saying that becoming a Battle Master upgrades your Martial Adept d6 to a d8 (though like I said, it seems like a reasonable ruling for a DM to make) but the later Battle Master subclass features don't specify that they only upgrade superiority dice you received from the subclass so they would bump your d6 and your d8s all up to d10s and eventually d12s.

11. - Top - End - #611

A244

I think RAW are pretty clear here:

"If you already have superiority dice, you gain one more; otherwise, you have one superiority die, which is a d6."

Everything after "otherwise" is irrelevant if you already have superiority dice. Since "if you already have superiority dice, you gain one more" gives no instructions about the size of those dice, the only conclusion I can see is that the additional dice is the same as the other dice. Furthermore, if the intent was that the additional die would be a d6, there would be no need for the "otherwise" formulation. It would say something like, "You gain a superiority die, which is a d6"

12. - Top - End - #612

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by orange74 View Post
    I think RAW are pretty clear here:

"If you already have superiority dice, you gain one more; otherwise, you have one superiority die, which is a d6."

Everything after "otherwise" is irrelevant if you already have superiority dice. Since "if you already have superiority dice, you gain one more" gives no instructions about the size of those dice, the only conclusion I can see is that the additional dice is the same as the other dice. Furthermore, if the intent was that the additional die would be a d6, there would be no need for the "otherwise" formulation. It would say something like, "You gain a superiority die, which is a d6"
    The thing is that you don't already have a superiority dice at level 1. But I'm sure that once you gain some, (fighter level 3) the one that you previously had upgrades. It's the most logical consecuence.
    English isn't my first language, so I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

13. - Top - End - #613

Quote Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
    The thing is that you don't already have a superiority dice at level 1.
    Exactly. At level 1, you don't "already" have anything but your racial and level 1 fighter features. If you took the feat at level four after becoming a Battle Master, you would "already" have superiority dice.
    But I'm sure that once you gain some, (fighter level 3) the one that you previously had upgrades. It's the most logical consecuence.
    Unfortunately, we aren't talking about Rules as Logical. Again, it seems like a fine ruling to make, but can you point to anything in the actual written rules to support calling it RAW?

14. - Top - End - #614

Quote Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
    The thing is that you don't already have a superiority dice at level 1. But I'm sure that once you gain some, (fighter level 3) the one that you previously had upgrades. It's the most logical consecuence.
    You're right, sorry, somehow I missed that that was the point of the question. I would agree that upgrading is logical, and maybe even RAI -- but the actual text pretty clearly indicates the opposite.

15. - Top - End - #615

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Il Palazzo View Post
    Exactly. At level 1, you don't "already" have anything but your racial and level 1 fighter features. If you took the feat at level four after becoming a Battle Master, you would "already" have superiority dice.
    Unfortunately, we aren't talking about Rules as Logical. Again, it seems like a fine ruling to make, but can you point to anything in the actual written rules to support calling it RAW?
    RAW you could actually lose the die, if one reads the class feature, it says that you have 4 superiority dies, not that you are gaining some, so going by the rule as written "specific over general", if you consider feats more general than class features, you are losing the die, because the class feature overrides the benefits of the feat, since this is unreasonable, and feats, as an optional rule, deserve to be considered more specific than a class rule, the correct way to do it is to reconsider the character's situation as a whole whenever you want to ask a question: at level 3 you have 4 SDs, then you apply the feat, you have lived for 2 levels with 1d6 SD, and when you have more (not gain, but have), the first part of the feat always comes first, since it's more specific than the class feature.
    English isn't my first language, so I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

16. - Top - End - #616

The discussion to question 244 should probably get its own thread at this point.

17. - Top - End - #617

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    The discussion to question 244 should probably get its own thread at this point.
    I really don't see how this can go much farther, but just in case, here we go:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post22189346

18. - Top - End - #618
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q254

The Elemental Evil spell Transmute Rock says that its effects last for the spell's duration, but the spell's duration is "Instantaneous". How long is it supposed to last? Am I missing something?

19. - Top - End - #619
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by robbie374 View Post
    Q254

The Elemental Evil spell Transmute Rock says that its effects last for the spell's duration, but the spell's duration is "Instantaneous". How long is it supposed to last? Am I missing something?
    I sincerely think that's just sloppy writing as it appears to make no sense. This is an instantaneous effect. The transformation happens and then it just stays that way forever or at least until something else happens to change it again (e.g. someone breaks the rock that's encasing them). The magic is over.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q 255 If someone summons several elementals or fey with one of the Conjure spells and another person affects just one of the creatures with Planar Binding, do the other creatures stay for the extended duration of the spell?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 255 If someone summons several elementals or fey with one of the Conjure spells and another person affects just one of the creatures with Planar Binding, do the other creatures stay for the extended duration of the spell?
    A255

It only affects the one creature chosen, because planar binding targets one creature, not the spell that was cast.
    The moon sees nothing of this. She is bald and wild.
    And the message of the yew tree is blackness - blackness and silence.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Orc in the Playground

Q 256

With the Shield Master feat, you take a bonus action to shove a creature when you choose to make an attack. Can you take the bonus action before or after the attack?

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSymphony View Post
    Q 256

With the Shield Master feat, you take a bonus action to shove a creature when you choose to make an attack. Can you take the bonus action before or after the attack?
    Actually you choose to use the attack action and then you can use a bonus action to shove, however while you must use the attack action first you get to choose when the attacks are actually made and so they can be made after the shove.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Hypersmith View Post
    A255

It only affects the one creature chosen, because planar binding targets one creature, not the spell that was cast.
    Re255 I'm not certain I agree with that reasoning because the text of Planar Binding says "If the creature was summoned or created by another spell, that spell's duration is extended to match the duration of this spell."

Certainly only one creature would be controlled by the 'binder', but other creatures summoned by the same spell should stay for the extended duration of the original spell.

Q 257 If Planar Binding is used to bind a fey summoned with Conjure Fey, does the fey still disappear after one hour?
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Q 258As a Barbarian, if I multiclassed as a Paladin would I be able to Divine Smite?

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sightlessrealit View Post
    Q 258As a Barbarian, if I multiclassed as a Paladin would I be able to Divine Smite?
    A258
    Yes. Both in and out of rage, because expending a spell slot for a divine smite does not equate to casting a spell.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-07-16 at 10:37 AM.

27. - Top - End - #627

Q:259
    What happens when a death domain cleric 1/ sorcerer 3 twin casts a toll the dead cantrip?

Is that 4 targets?
    Last edited by 8wGremlin; 2017-07-16 at 11:36 PM.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetSword View Post
    A 201:
    Sanctuary ends if you attack or cast a spell that targets an enemy creature. Cutting Words is neither of these and is a special feature of the Bard class. It shouldn't end Sanctuary.
    I don't agree.
    You are literally yelling/singing/insulting a creature and drawing attention to yourself.
    That in itself shouldn't break Sanctuary but as soon as those magical words affect a creature, it's no different than if you cast a spell at it.
    The whole point of the Sanctuary spell is to make hostile creatures magically ignore you. Drawing attention to yourself and affecting a creature with a negative effect is the exact opposite of that goal and should definitely break Sanctuary.
    Last edited by FinnS; 2017-07-16 at 11:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by FinnS View Post
    I don't agree.
    You are literally yelling/singing/insulting a creature and drawing attention to yourself.
    That in itself shouldn't break Sanctuary but as soon as those magical words affect a creature, it's no different than if you cast a spell at it.
    The whole point of the Sanctuary spell is to make hostile creatures magically ignore you. Drawing attention to yourself and affecting a creature with a negative effect is the exact opposite of that goal and should definitely break Sanctuary.
    But that's not RAW (rules as written).
    RAW, to be broken Sanctuary requires that the target of the spell makes an attack or casts a spell that affects an enemy creature. Cutting Words is neither an attack nor a spell as the rules define them.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-07-17 at 12:03 AM.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Dwarf in the Playground

But that's not RAW (rules as written).
    RAW, to be broken Sanctuary requires that the target of the spell makes an attack or casts a spell that affects an enemy creature. Cutting Words is neither an attack nor a spell as the rules define them.
    Cutting Words is still an attack on a creature period!
    It's specifically targeted and it bestows a singular harmful effect upon that target.

Before you even begin to argue about it, simply tell me how it doesn't qualify as an attack?