New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Quote Originally Posted by coredump View Post
    RAW this is not covered. A magical staff is explicitly listed as a valid quarterstaff, but a spell focus has no such statement.

There is no reason to suspect that a staff designed to help you focus magical energy is automatically stout enough to smack a giant.

OTOH, its also not listed as an exclusion. As a DM, I would allow a player to choose to have a staff focus work as a Qstaff, but there may be some that do not.
    Actually, there are quite a few magical staffs that function as Qstaff, but then again, it might be that the magic itself makes them sturdy enough... *shrug*

But yeah, it seems you're right, no real RAW on this matter.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-09-12 at 11:17 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

2. - Top - End - #752
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q302: If a character is using the spell Spider Climb and something attempts to physically push them off of the surface they are climbing, how is this resolved? Do they just fall over as if they were pushed on a horizontal surface or do they fall from the surface entirely?

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    Q 297: If a creature is polymorphed and is then controlled by dominate beast, will the creature remained controlled if the effect of polymorph ends?

Q 298: Does a wizard using magic jar retain their spellcasting if the creature they control is polymorphed?
    I am still curious about these. Are spell interactions up to the DM?
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

4. - Top - End - #754

I am still curious about these. Are spell interactions up to the DM?
    A 297: It's kind of up to DM, but I think that both Dominate Beast and Animal Friendship should instantly end when the target loses the Beast keyword.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marcloure View Post
    A 297: It's kind of up to DM, but I think that both Dominate Beast and Animal Friendship should instantly end when the target loses the Beast keyword.
    Yeah, just like how Hold Monster work when the monster die (it stops working, as it stop being a valid target for the spell)

6. - Top - End - #756
    Troll in the Playground

A 302 I'm fairly confident the RAW does not address this so it would be left to DM discretion on how to handle it.

Q 303 Does Finger of Death insta-kill a player if they're brought to 0? I've been under the impression for some time that the spell said you die if it drops you to 0 hp but it doesn't actually say that, thus implying you'd get death saves. I could swear I heard warnings for druids not to get fingered while in a form with relatively low hp because they wouldn't revert and carry over the dmg. They'd revert but be dead (and then soon a zombie).
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2017-09-15 at 08:50 AM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

7. - Top - End - #757

Quote Originally Posted by Dalebert View Post
    A 302 I'm fairly confident the RAW does not address this so it would be left to DM discretion on how to handle it.
    Crud. I searched for a while, but I was hoping there was something there that I'd missed. Oh well, guess I'll have to make a ruling on it. Thanks!

8. - Top - End - #758

Q 303 Does Finger of Death insta-kill a player if they're brought to 0? I've been under the impression for some time that the spell said you die if it drops you to 0 hp but it doesn't actually say that, thus implying you'd get death saves. I could swear I heard warnings for druids not to get fingered while in a form with relatively low hp because they wouldn't revert and carry over the dmg. They'd revert but be dead (and then soon a zombie).
    A303: Assuming you don't die from massive damage- you get death saves.
    cite

9. - Top - End - #759
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q304: What's the AC of a creature with Natural Armor whose AC changes because of a changing Dex score or the addition of class levels and Unarmored Defense? If a Hill Giant (natural AC13, Dex8) found a hat of "your Dex is 19 now," is his AC 14? (just Dex)
    18? (13 plus net change of +5 dex bonus)
    Still 13?
    Last edited by Gurifu; 2017-09-15 at 01:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #760

Quote Originally Posted by Gurifu View Post
    Q304: What's the AC of a creature with Natural Armor whose AC changes because of a changing Dex score or the addition of class levels and Unarmored Defense? If a Hill Giant (natural AC13, Dex8) found a hat of "your Dex is 19 now," is his AC 14? (just Dex)
    18? (13 plus net change of +5 dex bonus)
    Still 13?
    [A304]

The new AC should be 18 if they choose to use their natural armor + dex to calculate their AC, because their DEX went up by 5.
    or
    If they gain an ability that gives them Unarmored Defense they can either use the calculation for it OR they can use the one calculated because of Natural Armor.
    Last edited by Dudewithknives; 2017-09-15 at 01:38 PM.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Halfling in the Playground

Q305:
    Flaming Sphere
    A 5-foot-diameter sphere of fire appears in an unoccupied space of your choice within range and lasts for the duration.
    Pyrotechnics /EE/
    Choose an area of flame that you can see and that
    can fit within a 5-foot cube within range. You can
    extinguish the fire in that area, and you create either
    fireworks or smoke
    When I use Pyrotechnics will it ends Flaming sphere or I can use it multiple times?
    Lisping and bad memory - what kills most aged wizards.

12. - Top - End - #762

Quote Originally Posted by Godshoe View Post
    Q305:
    When I use Pyrotechnics will it ends Flaming sphere or I can use it multiple times?
    A305: Extinguishing a flame with Pyrotechnics is optional, not required.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Q306:
    Does the monk's Unarmored Movement apply to an aarakocra or tiefling's flying speed?

Q307:
    Does Unarmored Movement apply to a speed granted by a spell, such as Alter Self (which can grant a swim speed)?

14. - Top - End - #764

Quote Originally Posted by Wondermndjr View Post
    Q306:
    Does the monk's Unarmored Movement apply to an aarakocra or tiefling's flying speed?

Q307:
    Does Unarmored Movement apply to a speed granted by a spell, such as Alter Self (which can grant a swim speed)?
    A306: Yes

A307: Since it is just giving you a new movement option based on your walking speed- also yes.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q308 golem immunities. So, a magical weapon causes no damage unless it's also adamantine?

16. - Top - End - #766

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q308 golem immunities. So, a magical weapon causes no damage unless it's also adamantine?
    A308: They are only immune to nonmagical weapons that are not made of adamantine.

Magic weapons and nonmagical adamantine weapons do full damage.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Troll in the Playground

Q 309 If you cast Plane Shift with Distant Spell, thus making it 30 ft range instead of touch, wouldn't this alleviate the need for a melee spell attack?
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 309 If you cast Plane Shift with Distant Spell, thus making it 30 ft range instead of touch, wouldn't this alleviate the need for a melee spell attack?
    It'll still require a touch, only ranged spell attack in that case.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2017-09-19 at 03:41 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

19. - Top - End - #769
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Q 310 Since Grapple and Shove are special attack moves, can I use them on Opportunity Attack?
    Last edited by Ryuu Hayato; 2017-09-22 at 12:06 AM.

20. - Top - End - #770

RangerGuy

A 310 No. Grappling/shoving require the Attack action, which opportunity attacks do not count as.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Troll in the Playground

Question 311 In the case of the Neogi's Enslave ability, it grants a new save whenever the target takes damage. Does damage done to temporary hit points (granted from polymorph, specifically) allow the target a new savinrg throw, or does it need to be to their actual hit points? I'm fairly certain that it would, but not 100% sure.

22. - Top - End - #772

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    Question 311 In the case of the Neogi's Enslave ability, it grants a new save whenever the target takes damage. Does damage done to temporary hit points (granted from polymorph, specifically) allow the target a new savinrg throw, or does it need to be to their actual hit points? I'm fairly certain that it would, but not 100% sure.
    A311: Damage is damage, regardless of whether it is removing temporary hitpoints or not.

23. - Top - End - #773

Not sure if this has been posted yet or not before but i didnt see it in the search of the thread so ill ask

Q312

Polearm Master + War Caster

can you sub out the weapon attack from the gained opportunity attack with a reaction to cast a spell ?

does it work ? or is it required to attack with the polearm
    Last edited by SaA; 2017-09-23 at 07:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by SaA View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted yet or not before but i didnt see it in the search of the thread so ill ask

Q312

can you sub out the weapon attack from the gained opportunity attack with a reaction to cast a spell ?

In a Sage post it was said that you need to use the polearm with the opportuntiy attack from the polearm feat.

This means you can use it with a cantrip but you have to use something like booming blade which is a cantrip that uses the weapon.
    A vestige for me "Pyro火gnus Friend of Meepo" by Zaydos.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...5&postcount=26

25. - Top - End - #775

Quote Originally Posted by SaA View Post

Q312

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    In a Sage post it was said that you need to use the polearm with the opportuntiy attack from the polearm feat.

This means you can use it with a cantrip but you have to use something like booming blade which is a cantrip that uses the weapon.
    R312 One addition point- to take full advantage of PolearmsWarcaster 10' AoO Booming Blade combo you will need to take Spell Sniper.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q313 Blagothkus is the cloud giant in HotDQ. He has levitate 3/day. Can he not levitate himself? The spell states that the weight limit is 500 lbs. I'm guessing a cloud giant is heavier than that.....

27. - Top - End - #777

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q313 Blagothkus is the cloud giant in HotDQ. He has levitate 3/day. Can he not levitate himself? The spell states that the weight limit is 500 lbs. I'm guessing a cloud giant is heavier than that.....
    A313 While there is no present RAW detailing the weight of a Cloud Giant, previous editions had them at around 5000 lbs. The square-cube law estimations would put them at significantly more than that.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Q314 Is a Dragons breath weapon attack considered a "Magical Effect" for the purposes of Circle of Power?
    Last edited by Holy_Hotdog; 2017-09-25 at 06:08 AM.

29. - Top - End - #779

Quote Originally Posted by Holy_Hotdog View Post
    Q314 Is a Dragons breath weapon attack considered a "Magical Effect" for the purposes of Circle of Power?
    A314: No.

"The breath weapon of a typical dragon isn’t considered magical".

Cite

30. - Top - End - #780

Q315

Ok this is what im asking :O

i was looking at the Seeker Patron Warlock stuff in the UA and read over the 6th level ability

Astral Refuge
    At 6th level, you gain the ability to step into an astral refuge. As an Action, you disappear from the world for a brief moment and enter the Astral Plane, taking advantage of its timeless nature. While in your astral refuge, you can take two actions to cast spells that target only you. After using those two actions, you return to the space you occupied and your turn ends.

No where in this does it say the spell i can cast are required to have the casting time of 1 Action or so on, i only says I can take 2 actions.

Now with all this i ask my Question.

If i activate Astral Refuge, seeing as its a timeless space, could i for my 2 spells use Ritual Spell and cast them as Rituals ?

edit: Pact of the Tome is implied for this
    Last edited by SaA; 2017-09-25 at 08:11 PM.