New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1484

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #1021
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

Q415 - If someone casts wall of water and someone casts Fireball and targets an area on the other side of the water, does the fire damage get halved for people on that side of the water? I want to say no because the rules state that it halves fire damage, but the fireball is a streak until it blows up and doesn't deal fire damage until that time.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Troll in the Playground

Q 416 What does Zephyros' Journal do? (Common magic item from SKT)
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Galgano View Post
    Q415 - If someone casts wall of water and someone casts Fireball and targets an area on the other side of the water, does the fire damage get halved for people on that side of the water? I want to say no because the rules state that it halves fire damage, but the fireball is a streak until it blows up and doesn't deal fire damage until that time.
    A415: "[F]ire damage is halved if the fire effect passes through the wall to reach its target."

Fireball is a fire effect from start to finish, if it passes through a wall of water its damage is halved.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Titan in the Playground

Q417: Is there a 5E equivalent of the arcane mark spell?

We just started a 5E game, and our party has gotten involved in what looks like some sort of smuggling operation with mops. We've discovered the mops are magical, but we're not entirely sure what they are being used for. I'd like to know if there's a low-level spell we could use to "track" their location, to help us determine how the mops are being used. Books are limited at the moment, and I didn't see anything in the PHB that could help, but I haven't had a chance to really dig deep into the books.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post

We just started a 5E game, and our party has gotten involved in what looks like some sort of smuggling operation with mops. We've discovered the mops are magical, but we're not entirely sure what they are being used for. I'd like to know if there's a low-level spell we could use to "track" their location, to help us determine how the mops are being used. Books are limited at the moment, and I didn't see anything in the PHB that could help, but I haven't had a chance to really dig deep into the books.
    A417

The ones I can think of are:

Hunter's Mark - 1st Level - Gives you advantage on tracking the target creature
    Locate Creature - 4th Level - You know the direction of a creature if it is within 1000ft
    Mind Spike - 2nd Level (See Xanathar's Guide to Everything) - Deals damage and you know the creature's location

6. - Top - End - #1026

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post

A417: Locate Object is a 2nd level spell which allows you to sense the direction of either an object you have seen before or the nearest object of a generic type, as long as it is within 1000 ft. Probably the closest you’ll get to what you want.
    Last edited by Flashy; 2017-12-20 at 01:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Q418a - when do you apply STR/DEX bonus to attack and damage rolls? I know you do so if you're proficient with a weapon, but can you do so with weapons you aren't proficient with?
    Q418b - If you're proficient with blowdarts does that mean you do 1 + DEX score damage?
    Q418c - If you're proficient with improvised weapons, can you do more than 1 fire damage with a torch?

8. - Top - End - #1028

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Galgano View Post
    Q418a - when do you apply STR/DEX bonus to attack and damage rolls? I know you do so if you're proficient with a weapon, but can you do so with weapons you aren't proficient with?
    Q418b - If you're proficient with blowdarts does that mean you do 1 + DEX score damage?
    Q418c - If you're proficient with improvised weapons, can you do more than 1 fire damage with a torch?
    A418a You add your STR or DEX mod to attack and damage rolls regardless of proficiency.
    A418b Blowgun, 1+dex modifier, but otherwise yes.
    A418c That a torch only does 1 fire damage is an exception to normal damage rules, and its attack is not strictly speaking an improvised weapon, so by RAW, no.

9. - Top - End - #1029

ClericGuy

A418c

The feat only does what it says about improvised weapons,but improvised weapons fall under DM judgement, so it's not something you'll find a RAW answer to.

Personally I think that 1d4 fire damage is appropriate for a (lit) torch, but I can also see a torch doing 1d4 bludgeoning damage +1 fire damage, both answers are "RAW" because the RAW says that the DM decides.
    Last edited by Lombra; 2017-12-22 at 05:16 AM.
    English isn't my first language, so I will likely express myself poorly.
    Please assume that I'm arguing in good faith, and that I mean no offense to anybody.

10. - Top - End - #1030

Quote Originally Posted by Lombra View Post
    A418c

The feat only does what it says about improvised weapons,but improvised weapons fall under DM judgement, so it's not something you'll find a RAW answer to.

Personally I think that 1d4 fire damage is appropriate for a (lit) torch, but I can also see a torch doing 1d4 bludgeoning damage +1 fire damage, both answers are "RAW" because the RAW says that the DM decides.
    A418cThe rules say the torch only does 1 fire damage, but nothing says you don't also add your strength modifier on top of that (which is normal procedures for all melee weapon attacks unless you're getting into finesse etc.). Mike Mearls has tweeted in the past that you're supposed to get your strength bonus on damage with a torch so there's some RAI to go with the RAW as well. (Link: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/28...-with-a-torch/)

That said, yeah. As a DM, I would look at the improvised weapon rules and say "a torch is basically a club that happens to be on fire" and let it deal 1d4 bludgeoning + 1 fire + strength on whichever damage type the player wants, but that's definitely in DM discretion territory.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ettin in the Playground

Q419 Can a creature get several levels of exhaustion from the same casting of sickening radiance, over multiple failed saves?

12. - Top - End - #1032

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Q419 Can a creature get several levels of exhaustion from the same casting of sickening radiance, over multiple failed saves?
    A419: Yes.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    A419: Yes.
    I assume you mean this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Crawford
    If someone dies from reaching rank 6 of exhaustion from Sickening Radiance, they remain dead from hitting that point even after the spell ends?
    Sickening radiance doesn’t raise people from the dead.
    But it doesn't say if the previous five ranks of exhaustion were also reached from sickening radiance.

My doubt is over this:
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p291
    If an already exhausted creature suffers another effect that causes exhaustion, its current level of exhaustion increases by the amount specified in the effect's description.
    I am probably reading too much into this. "Another effect" could include another exposure to the same area of effect.

14. - Top - End - #1034

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    I assume you mean this:

But it doesn't say if the previous five ranks of exhaustion were also reached from sickening radiance.

My doubt is over this:

I am probably reading too much into this. "Another effect" could include another exposure to the same area of effect.
    I believe 'another effect' absolutely includes subsequent failed saves to the same Sickening Radiance. There is no caveat limiting the exhaustion and the is no violation of the Stacking Effects Rule if someone gets exposed to the same Sickening Radiance repeatedly over the course of several minutes.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Q420a Can a war cleric use War God's Blessing to aid the attack roll of someone firing a siege weapon, i.e. a cannon or a trebuchet?

My confusion is that if it's the siege engine making the attack roll, it's attacking as an object and therefore is not subject to things like WGB or bardic inspiration, which specifically call out creatures as the recipients of the attack bonus. But, on the other hand, if it's a creature using the siege engine to attack, then is it become the creature's roll and not the object's?
    Q420bWhose roll is it?

Q421 Can an armored Kensai monk still receive the benefits of the Deft Strike ability?

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Orc in the Playground

A421. Yes, but remember that Armored monks do 1 damage with unarmed strikes and doesn't earn bonus action unarmed attack (flurry of blows still doable).
    Last edited by BobZan; 2017-12-27 at 11:31 AM.
    Signed

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Orc in the Playground

Q422. Would a Familiar be affected by Inspiring Leader?
    Signed

18. - Top - End - #1038

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bitters View Post
    Q420a Can a war cleric use War God's Blessing to aid the attack roll of someone firing a siege weapon, i.e. a cannon or a trebuchet?

My confusion is that if it's the siege engine making the attack roll, it's attacking as an object and therefore is not subject to things like WGB or bardic inspiration, which specifically call out creatures as the recipients of the attack bonus. But, on the other hand, if it's a creature using the siege engine to attack, then is it become the creature's roll and not the object's?
    Q420bWhose roll is it?

Q421 Can an armored Kensai monk still receive the benefits of the Deft Strike ability?
    A420: While there's no specific rule, siege weapons have their own stat blocks, and make their attacks independent of the stats and proficiency of the operator. It is therefore likely that WGB, etc. does not work. However, this is ultimately up to the DM, and it would be reasonable to rule either way.

A421: I would say not. The "martial arts die" is a function of the "Martial Arts" ability, which you can only gain the benefits of while unarmored, such that an armored monk simply wouldn't have a martial arts die to add using the Deft Strikes ability. It is, however, more interesting to rule the opposite, and allow it, I think.

19. - Top - End - #1039

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by BobZan View Post
    Q422. Would a Familiar be affected by Inspiring Leader?
    A422: Potentially, as it is a creature. Any familiar capable of understanding the user of Inspiring Leader would be able to gain its benefits. By RAW, this would basically only be if the caster was using the feat.

20. - Top - End - #1040

So I want to make sure I've got this right. I'm currently a lv 8 paladin and I want to take the last 12 lv's in Sorc. It says I gain 2 first lv spells in the PH at level 1 but it also says you when you level you and if you get another spell to learn you can take any spell you have a spell slot for and change one you know already to a new spell. Now I am assuming those first 2 1st lv spells are locked in but under the multi-class section magic table under such a combo I would have access to Lv 3 spells. So once I level up to a 2nd lv Sorc I can learn a lv 3 spell and change one of my lv 1 spells to a Lv 3 even though under the sorc spell table I wouldn't have access to a lv 3 spell but I do on the multi-class spell slot table?

Have I got this right or have I gone cross eyed :)

21. - Top - End - #1041

Q423
    Quote Originally Posted by Davrix View Post
    So I want to make sure I've got this right. I'm currently a lv 8 paladin and I want to take the last 12 lv's in Sorc. It says I gain 2 first lv spells in the PH at level 1 but it also says you when you level you and if you get another spell to learn you can take any spell you have a spell slot for and change one you know already to a new spell. Now I am assuming those first 2 1st lv spells are locked in but under the multi-class section magic table under such a combo I would have access to Lv 3 spells. So once I level up to a 2nd lv Sorc I can learn a lv 3 spell and change one of my lv 1 spells to a Lv 3 even though under the sorc spell table I wouldn't have access to a lv 3 spell but I do on the multi-class spell slot table?

Have I got this right or have I gone cross eyed :)
    A423:You are a little off.

When you take your first lvl in Sorcerer your spells slots are determined by the multi-class spell chart (phb 165).

As a Pal 8/Sor 1 character you would have the following spell slots: 4 first, 3 second, and 2 third available to cast with.

Your spells known is based solely on your independent classes at their respective levels.

So at ninth you know your (cha mod + 4) pali spells of 1st and/or 2nd lvl, and two 1st lvl sorcerer spells (+4 cantrips). When you reach tenth you are still only a 2nd lvl sorcerer for determining spells known, and can only pick/swap among 1st lvl spells.

With this builds projection you won't actually get 3rd lvl spells until 13th lvl.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Orc in the Playground

Q424 is the whip the only finesse, reach weapon?

Q425 is there a finesse two-handed weapon?

Q426 is there a finesse equivalent of the lance?

23. - Top - End - #1043

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
    Q424 is the whip the only finesse, reach weapon?
    A424 Yes.

A425 No.

Q426 is there a finesse equivalent of the lance?
    A426 No.

The weapons table in the Player's Handbook and the SRD is the only one we have right now, outside of a few scattered weapons that have popped up in places like the Monster Manual (like Kuo-Toa Pincer Staffs) which are written up as the attack of a monster rather than a weapon for players to choose or equip. I've never seen an official source for any two-handed or heavy finesse weapon, or any reach finesse weapon besides the whip.

24. - Top - End - #1044

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Red Bear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Il Palazzo View Post
    A425 No.
    Actually, the answer is kind of. A Sun Sword, a magic item in the DMG is a longsword with the Finesse property, meaning it is a Versatile weapon that can be used one or two handed. But that is the only one.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Avonar View Post
    Actually, the answer is kind of. A Sun Sword, a magic item in the DMG is a longsword with the Finesse property, meaning it is a Versatile weapon that can be used one or two handed. But that is the only one.
    This is true, but the way the standard is set for 5th edition, there's no "magic item market" by default. It falls to "ask your DM" territory if you wish to acquire a specific magic item for your character and/or build it towards such a niche idea.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

26. - Top - End - #1046

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Avonar View Post
    There is another, in the DMG.

A Moon Blade is a magical longsword. It gains abilities over time, chosen from a table.

One of the options on this table is to give your Moon Blade the finesse property.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Troll in the Playground

Q 427 If you take the ritual caster feat, and use wisdom to meet the prerequisite, is that the stat you use to scribe scrolls into your book? Do you get proficiency bonus?
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 428 - Eldritch Smite

The requirement for Divine Smite to use only Paladin spell slots...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Players Handbook, (p. 85)
    DIVINE SMITE
    Starting at 2nd level, when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one paladin spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8. The damage increases by 1d8 if the target is an undead or a fiend.
    Was recinded...
    Quote Originally Posted by Player’s Handbook Errata
    PALADIN
    Divine Smite (p. 85). You can expend any spell slot, not just a paladin spell slot.
    https://media.wizards.com/2015/downl.../Errata_PH.pdf

So what about Eldritch Smite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanathar's Guide to Everything, (p. 56)
    ELDRITCH SMITE
    Prerequisite: 5th level, Pact of the Blade feature
    Once per turn when you hit a creature with your pact weapon, you can expend a warlock spell slot to deal an extra 1d8 force damage to the target, plus another 1d8 per level of the spell slot, and you can knock the target prone if it is Huge or smaller.
    Can any slot be used?

Q 428:b

Can Eldritch Smite and Divine Smite be stacked? I'm guessing not as gthat would burn 2 spell slots.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Troll in the Playground

A 428: It's been specified by Jeremy Crawford that you must use a Warlock spell slot (granted by the Pact Magic feature) to power Eldritch Smite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Crawford, Twitter
    Eldritch Smite works with warlock spell slots only—the ones you get from Pact Magic. #DND
    A 428b: Amusingly enough, there's nothing in the wording to prevent both Divine Smiting and Eldritch Smiting on the same attack. The only condition is having enough spell slots to expend.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    A 428: It's been specified by Jeremy Crawford that you must use a Warlock spell slot (granted by the Pact Magic feature) to power Eldritch Smite.

A 428b: Amusingly enough, there's nothing in the wording to prevent both Divine Smiting and Eldritch Smiting on the same attack. The only condition is having enough spell slots to expend.
    Which, by the way, might have a connection to why it's ruled as it is.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014