New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1484

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #1141
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

A 468

No, it wouldn't apply. You can only use 1 way to calculate AC. So you could choose the 18 (rusted armor) or the 12 +dex (padded +1). The shield is a specific exception, as it just adds a flat +2.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    A 468

No, it wouldn't apply. You can only use 1 way to calculate AC. So you could choose the 18 (rusted armor) or the 12 +dex (padded +1). The shield is a specific exception, as it just adds a flat +2.
    R468:

Can you give me the reference that says you have to calculate your AC with the armor to get the bonus from magical armor? All I can find is "wear," which is not the same thing. But I don't have access to my books atm.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dreast View Post
    R468:

Can you give me the reference that says you have to calculate your AC with the armor to get the bonus from magical armor? All I can find is "wear," which is not the same thing. But I don't have access to my books atm.
    R468:

Quote Originally Posted by DMG Errata v1.1
    Chapter 8

Combining Game Effects (p. 252). This is a new subsection at the end of the “Combat” section:

Different game features can affect a target at the same time. But when two or more game features have the same name, only the effects of one of them—the most potent one—apply while the durations of the effects overlap. For example, if a target is ignited by a fire elemental’s Fire Form trait, the ongoing fire damage doesn’t increase if the burning target is subjected to that trait again. Game features include spells, class features, feats, racial traits, monster abilities, and magic items. See the related rule in the “Combining Magical Effects” section of chapter 10 in the Player’s Handbook.
    So “Armor” doesn’t stack with “Armor”. But a +1 Ring of Protection would stack with +1 Bracers of Defense.

http://media.wizards.com/2016/downlo...DMG-Errata.pdf

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    R468:

So “Armor” doesn’t stack with “Armor”. But a +1 Ring of Protection would stack with +1 Bracers of Defense.

http://media.wizards.com/2016/downlo...DMG-Errata.pdf
    R468:

But "+X Armor" does stack with other "+X Armor" effects. That's why the shield spell stacks with a shield. The magical bonus to AC from magical armor isn't presented as a calculation adjustment, but as a simple bonus, just like shields are, at least in the SRD. So I'm asking, isn't it RAW that a +1 padded armor would grant its magical +1 AC bonus for being worn (that being the only requirement) even when the actual armor calculation is coming from something besides worn armor?
    Last edited by dreast; 2018-02-09 at 11:50 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Bugbear in the Playground

R 468
    I realize that the 11 AC for the padded armor would not be involved, but it's magical +1 padded armor (alone, it'd be AC 12). I'm wondering if the magical bonus to AC stacks with armor scraps or natural armor like a shield does, since "wearing" the armor (not calculating your AC with the armor) is the only requirement for that bonus. (This isn't something that would often come up with a player, since they're limited to one armor per slot, but players can gain access to natural armor as well so it's worth asking.)
    R468: Nope.

You either use the AC calculation for the non-magical makeshift plate or the magical padded.

Ring of Protection and Cloak of Protection would add their bonus to which ever armor track you opt to use; while Bracers of Armor require you to forgo armor all together to use its benefit.

There is no 'magical bonus transference' in 5th; at least not by RAW. You use one armor calculation, and can only add to it with select items- like shields and certain magic items.
    Last edited by Erys; 2018-02-09 at 12:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erys View Post
    R468: Nope.

You either use the AC calculation for the non-magical makeshift plate or the magical padded.

Ring of Protection and Cloak of Protection would add their bonus to which ever armor track you opt to use; while Bracers of Armor require you to forgo armor all together to use its benefit.

There is no 'magical bonus transference' in 5th; at least not by RAW. You use one armor calculation, and can only add to it with select items- like shields and certain magic items.
    R468:

So you're claiming that the calculation for +1 padded armor is

AC = 12 (+1 padded armor) + Dex bonus = 12 + Dex bonus

But reading the entry in the SRD, "You have a +1 bonus to AC while wearing this armor," and comparing it to the language for the ring of protection, "You gain a +1 bonus to AC and saving throws while wearing this ring," it seems to me that the actual formula for the calculation is

AC = 11 (padded armor) +1 (+1 magical bonus from padded armor worn in the "armor" slot) + Dex bonus = 12 + Dex bonus

Is the language in the DMG any different? Does the DMG specifically state that it only applies when doing the armor calculation using the magical armor as the base, or does it simply say that wearing the armor gives a +X bonus to AC? The actual wording is important! (Crucial for, say, a lizardfolk adventurer who wants to munchkin out.) I'm being insistent because this is a RAW thread and I haven't seen any words written yet that make me believe that magical bonuses to armor effect armor class any differently than other magical items that effect armor class.

7. - Top - End - #1147

BarbarianGuy

R468:

So you're claiming that the calculation for +1 padded armor is

AC = 12 (+1 padded armor) + Dex bonus = 12 + Dex bonus

But reading the entry in the SRD, "You have a +1 bonus to AC while wearing this armor," and comparing it to the language for the ring of protection, "You gain a +1 bonus to AC and saving throws while wearing this ring," it seems to me that the actual formula for the calculation is

AC = 11 (padded armor) +1 (+1 magical bonus from padded armor worn in the "armor" slot) + Dex bonus = 12 + Dex bonus

Is the language in the DMG any different? Does the DMG specifically state that it only applies when doing the armor calculation using the magical armor as the base, or does it simply say that wearing the armor gives a +X bonus to AC? The actual wording is important! (Crucial for, say, a lizardfolk adventurer who wants to munchkin out.) I'm being insistent because this is a RAW thread and I haven't seen any words written yet that make me believe that magical bonuses to armor effect armor class any differently than other magical items that effect armor class.
    R468:
    Quote Originally Posted by Player’s Handbook (page 14)
    Armor Class
    Your Armor Class (AC) represents how well your character avoids being wounded in battle. Things that contribute to your AC include the armor you wear, the shield you carry, and your Dexterity modifier. Not all characters wear armor or carry shields, however.

Without armor or a shield, your character’s AC equals 10 + his or her Dexterity modifier. If your character wears armor, carries a shield, or both, calculate your AC using the rules in chapter 5. Record your AC on your character sheet.

Your character needs to be proficient with armor and shields to wear and use them effectively, and your armor and shield proficiencies are determined by your class. There are drawbacks to wearing armor or carrying a shield if you lack the required proficiency, as explained in chapter 5.

Some spells and class features give you a different way to calculate your AC. If you have multiple features that give you different ways to calculate your AC, you choose which one to use.
    You may wish to see: http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/do...Compendium.pdf for a bunch of rules clarifications.

If you have further questions about this topic you may want to open a thread in the general forum as this is approaching a conversation that's no longer "Simple RAW".
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-02-09 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Formatting

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Q469

If someone with an ability to resist or reroll saving throw like an adult dragon or a level 9 or more fighter get's to make a saving throw that they are unaware of failure, like for example the Scrying spell, would they be able to use that abilities to reroll or automatically pass the saving throw?

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by E’Tallitnics View Post
    R468:

You may wish to see: http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/do...Compendium.pdf for a bunch of rules clarifications.

If you have further questions about this topic you may want to open a thread in the general forum as this is approaching a conversation that's no longer "Simple RAW".
    The last paragraph in the link cleared up for me that RAI, at least, the magic bonus on armor is intended to effect the AC of the armor and not the person wearing it. If so, they should have used that language in the DMG rather than using the language found on the other bonuses, which implies it can be a bonus even if the armor itself isn’t used in the AC calculation. Thanks!

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DarthPenance View Post
    Q469

If someone with an ability to resist or reroll saving throw like an adult dragon or a level 9 or more fighter get's to make a saving throw that they are unaware of failure, like for example the Scrying spell, would they be able to use that abilities to reroll or automatically pass the saving throw?
    A469

Yes, because the player/DM is aware of the saving throw even if the character/monster isn’t. (See the “detect” legendary action for another example of this dichotomy.)

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Pixie in the Playground

Q470
    As a level 5 Ranger Beastmaster, can I make a grapple attack when I command my beast to attack? I'm sure a DM would allow it but I will be playing in adventure league with rotating DMs so I wanted to ask.

- The Ranger's Beastmaster RAW "Once you have the Extra Attack feature, you can make one weapon attack yourself when you command the beast to take the Attack action."

- RAW on grappling "When you want to grab a creature or wrestle with it, you can use the Attack action to make a special melee attack, a grapple. If you're able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them."

- I don't know if a grapple is considered an unarmed strike but SA Compendium states "For example, an unarmed strike counts as a melee weapon attack, even though the attacker’s body isn’t considered a weapon"

I assume it was intended for the ranger to be unable to cast a spell and have the beast attack but written so that the Ranger can still attack when commanding the beast to attack.

I am mostly just confused about the wording of 'special' in the RAW for grappling. Is grappling considered a melee weapon attack? Does the way it is written negate being able to take a grapple action?
    Last edited by Starve; 2018-02-09 at 11:17 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Ogre in the Playground

A470

Your question boils down to this:

Quote Originally Posted by Starve View Post
    Is grappling considered a melee weapon attack?
    The answer to this is 'no'. It's a melee attack but not a weapon attack. You do not need a weapon to grapple; and if you're holding a weapon it doesn't affect whether you add your proficiency bonus or not (training in Athletics does).

Powers &8^]
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2018-02-10 at 09:03 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Ettin in the Playground

R470
    Once you have the Extra Attack feature, you can make one weapon attack yourself when you command the beast to take the Attack action.
    When you want to grab a creature or wrestle with it, you can use the Attack action to make a special melee attack, a grapple.
    The problem as I see it is that your beast is the one taking the Attack action, not you. So your beast can grapple, but you can't.

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    It's a melee attack but not a weapon attack. You do not need a weapon to grapple
    If it were that simple. Thankfully, I don't think we need to go into that topic.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q471 - Spell components...

Quote Originally Posted by Protection from Evil and Good
    LEVEL - 1st
    CASTING TIME - 1 Action
    RANGE/AREA - Touch
    COMPONENTS - V, S, M * (holy water or powdered silver and iron, which the spell consumes)
    DURATION - Concentration 10 Minutes
    SCHOOL - Abjuration
    ATTACK/SAVE - None
    DAMAGE/EFFECT - Buff (...)

Until the spell ends, one willing creature you touch is protected against certain types of creatures: aberrations, celestials, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead.

The protection grants several benefits. Creatures of those types have disadvantage on attack rolls against the target. The target also can't be charmed, frightened, or possessed by them. If the target is already charmed, frightened, or possessed by such a creature, the target has advantage on any new saving throw against the relevant effect.
    My question here is on the spell components. How much holy water for example? Or for the powdered metals, again, how much? The same 25GP worth needed to make oly water?

I know I can't use my holy symbol/focus/component pouch as it states the components are consumed. But it doesn't give a cost or volume.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Escribblings View Post
    I know I can't use my holy symbol/focus/component pouch as it states the components are consumed.
    A471

That's not how it works. You can use your focus or component pouch to replace any material component that doesn't have a listed cost. Has nothing to do with whether or not it's consumed.

Powers &8^]
    Last edited by LtPowers; 2018-02-12 at 02:39 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1156

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    A471

That's not how it works. You can use your focus or component pouch to replace any material component that doesn't have a listed cost. Has nothing to do with whether or not it's consumed.

Powers &8^]
    You've read that wrong it seems.

Material (M)

Casting some spells requires particular objects, specified in parentheses in the component entry. A character can use a component pouchor a spellcasting focus (found in “Equipment”) in place of the components specified for a spell. But if a cost is indicated for a component, a character must have that specific component before he or she can cast the spell.
    If a spell states that a material component is consumed by the spell, the caster must provide this component for each casting of the spell.
    A spellcaster must have a hand free to access a spell’s material components—or to hold a spellcasting focus—but it can be the same hand that he or she uses to perform somatic components.

The first paragraph talks about using a focus in place of the material component. The second paragraph clearly informs the reader that a component that is consumed must be provided each time the spell is cast.

Clarification here: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/15...casting-focus/

17. - Top - End - #1157

BarbarianGuy

My question here is on the spell components. How much holy water for example? Or for the powdered metals, again, how much? The same 25GP worth needed to make oly water?

I know I can't use my holy symbol/focus/component pouch as it states the components are consumed. But it doesn't give a cost or volume.
    A471: You were correct in thinking that the material component must be provided and that a focus cannot substitute for one: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/01/15...casting-focus/

The RAW answer is 25GP. The spell only states that Holy Water is needed. The only definable amount of Holy Water in the book is under Adventuring Gear and it's 1 flask for 25 GP (the same amount of GP it takes to make a flask of Holy Water).

So you DM might let you use less than 1 flask, but the default answer seems to be 1 flask (25 GP).

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q472 - Can Divine Favor and Divine Smite be stacked?

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Favor
    Casting Time - 1 Bonus Action

Your prayer empowers you with divine radiance. Until the spell ends, your weapon attacks deal an extra 1d4 radiant damage on a hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine Smite
    Starting at 2nd level, when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon’s damage. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8. The damage increases by 1d8 if the target is an undead or a fiend.]
    It doesn't say that Divine Smite requires a bonus action, so to my mind they stack. Just looking for a second opinion.

(I am aware I would need sufficient spell slots for both)
    Last edited by Escribblings; 2018-02-13 at 05:40 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q472 - Can Divine Favor and Divine Smite be stacked?

It doesn't say that Divine Smite requires a bonus action, so to my mind they stack. Just looking for a second opinion.

(I am aware I would need sufficient spell slots for both)
    A472. Yes, they can be stacked. Extra damage dice from different sources always stack (AFAIK).
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-02-13 at 06:20 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 473: Can I wield my arcane (or druidic) focus staff as a quarterstaff?

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Ogre in the Playground

Q474
    Minor illusions can't move or be animate - what happens if you create a blanket on the deck of a ship? Would it move relative to its frame of reference, so it stays in place on top of the deck (wherever the deck goes)? Or is that blanket floating in midair above the river as the ship sails away?

Similarly, could you make an illusory blanket on the back of a horse that stayed there as the horse moves?
    Last edited by Ditto; 2018-02-15 at 11:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q475 how many goblins can you hurt with the shatter spell, using the assumption below
    1. On a grid 5ft square units
    2. One goblin per square
    Please post a picture for an answer if possible.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HMS Invincible View Post
    Q475 how many goblins can you hurt with the shatter spell, using the assumption below
    1. On a grid 5ft square units
    2. One goblin per square
    Please post a picture for an answer if possible.
    Well, first of all, since it's a sphere, in theory you could hurt quite a bit of goblins if those goblins were somehow able to locate three-dimensionally on top and below of each other.

Black dot marks the center, red area marks the affected squares on a grid, in 2D.

The answer to your question depends on whether the goblins are just standing on a platform side by side, or if they are floating/swimming etc.

2D: a maximum of 12 goblins.
    3D: a bit trickier to calculate because I couldn't figure out an easy way to create a 3D-grid.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-02-16 at 04:17 PM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Protection from Evil and Good
    LEVEL - 1st
    CASTING TIME - 1 Action
    RANGE/AREA - Touch
    COMPONENTS - V, S, M * (holy water or powdered silver and iron, which the spell consumes)
    DURATION - Concentration 10 Minutes
    SCHOOL - Abjuration
    ATTACK/SAVE - None
    DAMAGE/EFFECT - Buff (...)

Until the spell ends, one willing creature you touch is protected against certain types of creatures: aberrations, celestials, elementals, fey, fiends, and undead.

The protection grants several benefits. Creatures of those types have disadvantage on attack rolls against the target. The target also can't be charmed, frightened, or possessed by them. If the target is already charmed, frightened, or possessed by such a creature, the target has advantage on any new saving throw against the relevant effect.

Right just to set the record straight on this, I have queried with my DM and RAW are as follows, courtesy of Jeremy Crawford:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremey Crawford
    The cost isn't a concern for that spell, only that you have some of the material for the spell to consume. It's a narrative device: sprinkling holy water or the powder.
    https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/...72714910466048

My GM's response
    Quote Originally Posted by GM
    Summary: Yes, you need holy water. No, you cannot use a component pouch for this one. The amount is so minuscule that you will only ever need one flask of holy water.

My ruling: Screw that, use the damned component pouch.

This is the only outlying case like this that I can think of. If you find any others, let me know. I'll decide if I need to make a house rule specifying this.

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q476 can you cast a spell at a friendly that moves him, therefore ending the grapple?

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q476 can you cast a spell at a friendly that moves him, therefore ending the grapple?
    Yes. Forced movement always breaks grapple, no matter the source.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    A grapple ends whenever the target is pushed out of the grappler’s reach, so if the effect moves it outside of the reach of the enemy’s attack which triggered the grapple then it ends. Just because you move your grappled allied though does not mean that the grapple ends, you must move it outside of the enemie’s reach. For example, if an orc grapples your friend who is directly in front of it, then knocking your friend 5 ft. To the side will not end the grapple because the grappled target is still with 5 ft. Of the orc. Knocking the grappled target 5 ft back though away from the orc shall end the grapple because the target will then be 10 ft away, outside of the orc’s reach. For another example, if a t-Rex bites and restrains one of your friends while within 5ft of him/her and you cast a spell which knocks them back 5 ft, then grapple does not end as the t-rex’s Bite is 10 ft and the grappled target is still with 10 ft of it. If you knock the target 10 ft back though away from the Rex and the target is thusly 15 ft away from the Rex, then the grapple ends. Hope that helps.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q477 Questions on Hiding During Combat

Sorry if some of these are elementary but I am a relative newbie trying to DM a party with a Half-Elf Paladin and Halfing Rogue. The 3rd Level Arcane Trickster Rogue uses his cunning action most rounds to hide behind the Paladin. He looks to attack with advantage and sneak attack every round either with a ranged weapon (bow or crossbow) or melee weapon (rapier or short-sword). I've read the rules on stealth and a couple threads but feel like I really don't have a great grasp on it yet.

477(a) When the Halfing hides and is in position to get cover from the Paladin, am I supposed to use the stealth roll of the Halfing in a contest versus a perception check of the enemy or use the passive perception of the enemy? With expertise in stealth, it is super easy for the Halfing to beat an enemy's passive perception. I assume that for opponents where the Paladin does not provide cover that the Halfing can't hide.

Example: Hallway with X = Walls, E1 = Enemy 1, P = Paladin, H = Halfing, E2 = Enemy 2

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    E3 ------ E1 ------ P H ----------- E2

So contest with H's stealth versus E1 perception and E3 perception and no contest with E2? Passive perception for E1 and E3?

477(b) If the Halfing successfully hides, will he get advantage and sneak attack when attacking E1 or E3 with a ranged attack if the Paladin is not within 5 feet of E1 yet?

477(c) If the Halfing successfully hides, can he be targeted by E1 or E3 casting spells with an attack roll at disadvantage (like Firebolt)? Can he be targeted by E1 or E3 by spells without an attack roll (like Hold Person)? Does this depend on whether the spell calls out a need to see the target? (I.e., hold person says a target you can "see" but firebolt just says a creature "within range")

477(d)
    E3 ------ E1 P H ------------------- E2

If the Paladin and E1 are engaged in melee and E1 is using a melee weapon like a longsword with 5 foot range, can the H hide and stay >5 feet back from E1 and then pop out and use a ranged attack at advantage versus E1 and then go back into hiding without drawing an attack of opportunity? (I know sneak attack applies since the Paladin and E1 are engaged in melee but am wondering about the 5 foot disadvantage for ranged attacks and wondering he can hide while remaining further than 5 feet out while still getting the benefit of hiding). If not, is the attack normal (i.e., disadvantage from being at close range canceling out with the advantage from hiding) while still getting the sneak attack due to proximity of E1 and P? If he can't stay >5 feet away does he get to rehide without avoiding an AOO since he stays within 5 feet?

477(e) If the answer to 477(d) is that he can't both hide and avoid being within E1's melee range if he wants to hide behind P, can he pop out and shoot at E3 with advantage instead of trying to shoot E1 at close range or does being within 5 feet of E1 still impose disadvantage even when he is hidden from E1?

477(f) If the Paladin and E1 are engaged in melee, can the H pop out and stab E1 with a melee weapon and use his cunning action to hide without drawing an attack of opportunity? (This is perhaps just a variation on 477(d) and trying to clarify that if he can't hide while being >5 feet away, can he stay within 5 feet and hide without drawing an AOO?)

477(g) This scenario hasn't arisen yet, but just to cover bases what if the Halfing attempts to hide behind an enemy with a 10 foot reach? Using the example above, assume the Paladin gets banished by E3. Can the Rogue hide behind E1 who is attacking him with a halberd (or some other weapon with 10 foot reach) to gain advantage on a ranged attack against E3 and move 6 feet from E1, shoot E3 and then hide behind E1 again without provoking an AOO since he never left E1's reach?

477(h) Regardless of whether he can get advantage or the range of E1's attack, can he hide behind E1 to avoid being targeted by E3? (I.e., if E1 is attacking him with a longsword can H swing at E1 and use cunning action to position himself behind E1 to gain hidden status vis-a-vis E3?)

Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by AHF; 2018-02-19 at 02:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Troll in the Playground

Re: Q477 Considering how long and elaborate your post is and also considering how contentious the hiding rules are based on very long existing threads in this forum, I posit this is not a simple RAW question and so you should probably post this as its own thread.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition