New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1484

Thread: Simple RAW 3

1. - Top - End - #1201
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Default Re: Simple RAW 3

R480: Just to make certain: monster and creature are interchangeable terms, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Barbarian in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

R480: Just to make certain: monster and creature are interchangeable terms, correct?
    R480: Yes. “Monster” is pejorative.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q493 Mummy Lord lair action: each undead can pinpoint location of each living creature. If mummy is blinded, or someone is invisible, mummy can still pinpoint them it seems. Does 'pinpoint' mean there is no disadvantage on the attack?
    Q494 Regional effects: all water instantly evaporates. Holy water too?
    Q495Diderius the Mummy Lord has arcane spells. I wanted to change a few of them to make the encounter more challenging. If I give him Mage armor, will that change his AC at all?

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q496 can levitate and misty step work together, levitating 20ft in the air and teleporting somewhere else, still 20ft in the air?

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q497 an invisible creature can always try to hide. By that same rational, can you always try to hide from a creature that's blinded? Can a creature always try to hide in a heavily obscured area?

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q498 magic resistance gives a mummy lord advantage on saves against spells and magical effects. Is the clerics channel divinity (turn undead) a magical effect?

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dmdork View Post
    Q498 magic resistance gives a mummy lord advantage on saves against spells and magical effects. Is the clerics channel divinity (turn undead) a magical effect?
    A 498: Probably yes. On page 58 of the PHB it says that channel divinity creates "magical effects".
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q499 Holy Weapon emits a burst. Each creature of your choice that you see can within 30 of YOU?, or the weapon you cast the spell on?

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

A 499By RAW, the burst always comes from the caster, regardless where the weapon is at the time concentration is broken. Hopefully errata fixes this.

10. - Top - End - #1210

BarbarianGuy

Q493 Mummy Lord lair action: each undead can pinpoint location of each living creature. If mummy is blinded, or someone is invisible, mummy can still pinpoint them it seems. Does 'pinpoint' mean there is no disadvantage on the attack?
    Q494 Regional effects: all water instantly evaporates. Holy water too?
    Q495Diderius the Mummy Lord has arcane spells. I wanted to change a few of them to make the encounter more challenging. If I give him Mage armor, will that change his AC at all?
    A493 No. "Pinpoint" isn't a game term and that regional effect doesn't say that it nullifies disadvatage. Which is weird, so I've tweeted this question to Jeremey: https://twitter.com/ETallitnics/status/971077537877995520

A494
    No. If the regional effect affected magical items the description would say so.

A495 No. When you're given an AC calculation you choose which one to use. In your example the Mummy Lord could either use its Natural Armor (AC 17) or Mage Armor (AC 13 + 0 [DEX MOD] = AC 13).
    Last edited by E’Tallitnics; 2018-03-06 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Grammar

11. - Top - End - #1211

BarbarianGuy

Q496 can levitate and misty step work together, levitating 20ft in the air and teleporting somewhere else, still 20ft in the air?
    A496 Yes, but No: You can levitate 20 feet in the air and then misty step to wherever you wish within range. Once you arrive at that spot you're still levitating.

Example: You cast levitate and rise up 20 feet in the air, then cast misty step and teleport up and over 30 feet. You're now levitating 50 feet in the air.

12. - Top - End - #1212

BarbarianGuy

Q497 an invisible creature can always try to hide. By that same rational, can you always try to hide from a creature that's blinded? Can a creature always try to hide in a heavily obscured area?
    A497 Yes you can in both of your examples.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q500 If I banish someone on a moving ship when they return in 1 hour do they appear (a) in the same location on the ship, (b) on exact coordinates a few feet above the water (c) on the closest "appearable surface" which could be the ship or a nearby island.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSandbag View Post
    Q486 Does Enlarge/Reduce give targets (dis)advantage on attack rolls made with strength weapons?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    A486 No. Spells and rules will tell you whether they impose dis-/advantage or not. You have dis-/advantage only on Strength checks and Strength saving throws. Attack rolls are neither. You will, however, deal 1d4 extra or 1d4 less damage with your weapons while Enlarged or Reduced, respectively.
    R486 Technically, the spell can give disadvantage with certain weapons. Reduce reduces the target size category, such as from Medium to Small [PHB 237]. If the target becomes Small, it has disadvantage on attack rolls with Heavy weapons [PHB 147]. Therefore, according to RAW, casting Reduce on a Medium creature will give the creature disadvantage with Heavy weapons, which all happen to be strength-based.

Note: There is room for interpretation in the phrases "weapons also shrink to match its new size" and "heavy weapon's size and bulk make it too large for a Small creature to use effectively."

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Q501: If you fail the save against Sanctuary, must you select a new target immediately from among those in range, visible to you, etc. or can you move or take other actions first in order to acquire more valid targets?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctuary
    You ward a creature within range against attack. Until the spell ends, any creature who targets the warded creature with an attack or a harmful spell must first make a Wisdom saving throw. On a failed save, the creature must choose a new target or lose the attack or spell. This spell doesn’t protect the warded creature from area effects, such as the explosion of a fireball.

If the warded creature makes an attack or casts a spell that affects an enemy creature, this spell ends.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q502

New player about to DM with my friends (who have never played). I am trying to prep lots of stuff for us so I know the answers to some questions.

My friend is playing a Dwarf Fighter with Two-weapon fighting. She is wielding two handaxes.

I am struggling to understand that mechanics of her action, bonus action, attack roles for each, and damage rolls for each.
    Last edited by Kaibis; 2018-03-07 at 07:24 PM.
    "Just so we're clear everybody ... THIS IS A GAME." Liam O'brien ("The Siege of Emon" 2:25:42)

17. - Top - End - #1217

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaibis View Post
    Q502

New player about to DM with my friends (who have never played). I am trying to prep lots of stuff for us so I know the answers to some questions.

My friend is playing a Dwarf Fighter with Two-weapon fighting. She is wielding two handaxes.

I am struggling to understand that mechanics of her action, bonus action, attack roles for each, and damage rolls for each.
    The rules for Two-Weapon Fighting are on p195 of the PHB.

In layman's terms, although everyone can use their Action in Combat to do various things, no-one has ANY bonus actions, unless a game mechanic specifically gives them a bonus action, which (when they get it) they may or may not actually choose to do. If you have more than one bonus action you could do, you still can actually do only one of them.

Let's imagine your friend's dwarven fighter. Having an axe in each hand does not let you attack with both of them during the same Attack action if you only have one attack. If you have the Extra Attack class feature (most warrior-types get it at 5th level) then you can attack two times whether you are holding two weapons or one weapon.

So holding two weapons doesn't grant you any extra attacks than you would have anyway.

What the TWF rules say is that IF you attack with a light weapon you are holding in one hand, THEN this attack (hit or miss) generates a bonus action that you didn't have until you made that first attack. This bonus action can only be used to make an attack with a different light weapon held in your other hand. This is how that second weapon gets you an extra attack.

As for attack and damage rolls, then each attack roll is calculated normally (usually Str/Dex modifier + proficiency bonus). The damage roll of the first attack is the damage code of the weapon (which is 1d6 for a handaxe) + Str modifier. The damage roll for the bonus action attack does not add your Str mod though.

Damage bonuses from other things (like magic weapon pluses, damage bonus from Rage, and so on) all add to the damage roll, it's just the Str mod that doesn't get added to the bonus action attack's damage.

Unless you have the Two-Weapon Fighting style (fighters and rangers can choose it). If you have this style then you CAN add your Str mod to the damage of the bonus action attack.

Examples:-

basic: 1st level dwarf with Str 16 and two handaxes: action = +5 to attack, 1d6+3 damage; bonus action = +5 to attack, 1d6 damage.

with twin magic +1 handaxes and +2 Rage damage bonus: action = +6 to attack, 1d6+6 damage, bonus action = +6 to attack, 1d6 +3 damage (no Str bonus to damage)

with TWF fighting style, non-magic axes and no Rage: action AND bonus action attacks each are +5 to attack, 1d6+3 damage

Does that answer your question?

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Dwarf in the Playground

That does answer my question, and then some. Thank you so much, this has helped a lot. Especially the bit about the first attack generating the bonus.

So she couldn't say use her bonus action to attack, and then her action to disengage etc.
    "Just so we're clear everybody ... THIS IS A GAME." Liam O'brien ("The Siege of Emon" 2:25:42)

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q503

Can a High-Elf Wizard use* a longsword or a longbow?

*I am a little confused by what proficiency means. I think it means that anybody can use anything, but being proficient gives you a bonus on your attack roll?

The PHB does not list either, however when I create a wizard using DNDBeyond it lists proficiency in both weapons. Am I missing something.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q503

Can a High-Elf Wizard use* a longsword or a longbow?

*I am a little confused by what proficiency means. I think it means that anybody can use anything, but being proficient gives you a bonus on your attack roll?

The PHB does not list either, however when I create a wizard using DNDBeyond it lists proficiency in both weapons. Am I missing something.
    Everyone can use any weapons, proficiency or not (being proficient is kind of being trained). If you're proficient with something, and that something involves a d20 roll, you add your proficiency bonus on the roll along with any other relevant modifiers.
    In other words, a character without proficiency can still use anything they want to, they just don't add proficiency bonus to the d20 roll (if there is one).

To answer to your question specifically, yes a high elf wizard can use those weapons. Because elves are "trained" to use those weapons, they will add proficiency bonus on their attack rolls with the weapons.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-03-07 at 11:34 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q504. If a spellcaster has an invisible companion (beast companion or familiar with Invisibility cast on them), could the party rogue use sneak attack against a target that is adjacent to the invisible companion? Or would the rogue need See Invisibility?
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A 494 So, holy water is magical?

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

A 494 So, holy water is magical?
    Based on the fact that it deals radiant damage and that a 1st-level spell Ceremony (Bless Water)XGtE is required to create Holy Water, yes.
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-03-08 at 03:49 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

24. - Top - End - #1224

SwashbucklerGuy

That does answer my question, and then some. Thank you so much, this has helped a lot. Especially the bit about the first attack generating the bonus.
    My pleasure.

So she couldn't say use her bonus action to attack, and then her action to disengage etc.
    No, because she doesn't even have that bonus action to attack, until it is generated by making that first attack.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ettin in the Playground

Based on the fact that it deals radiant damage and that a 1st-level spell Ceremony (Bless Water)XGtE is required to create Holy Water, yes.
    The damage being radiant isn't relevant, but the spell is, according to the SAC's guideline on what mechanically counts as magical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage Advice Compendium, Is the breath weapon of a dragon magical?
    Ask yourself these questions about the feature:
    • Is it a magic item?
    • Is it a spell? Or does it let you create the effects of a spell that’s mentioned in its description?
    • Is it a spell attack?
    • Is it fueled by the use of spell slots?
    • Does its description say it’s magical?

If your answer to any of those questions is yes, the feature is magical.
    There is also this bit in the PHB's description of holy water...
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p152, Holy Water
    A cleric or paladin may create holy water by performing a special ritual. The ritual takes 1 hour to perform, uses 25 gp worth of powdered silver, and requires the caster to expend a 1st-level spell slot.
    which also meets the guideline (fueled by a spell slot). Interestingly, this special ritual cost the same as ceremony when ceremony isn't cast as a ritual (then there is a difference of 10 minutes). It also doesn't require the cleric or paladin to have prepared ceremony, which makes me wonder why those classes would ever use that aspect of the spell. Or maybe XGtE is trying to nerf the creation of holy water for some reason.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Troll in the Playground

A 494 I say holy water is not magical. Made a thread to continue this discussion since it's venturing beyond "simple".
    Last edited by Dalebert; 2018-03-08 at 11:11 AM.
    If you cast Dispel Magic on my Gust of Wind, does that mean you're disgusting?

In real estate, they say it's all about location, location, location. In D&D I say it's about action economy, action economy, action economy.

Crystal Mage -- a homebrewed arcane tradition

27. - Top - End - #1227

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Arial Black View Post
    No, because she doesn't even have that bonus action to attack, until it is generated by making that first attack.
    Very, very technically she just has to take the attack action on the same turn as the bonus action attack.

So she could bonus action attack and then attack with the primary hand, but not bonus action attack and then disengage or dash. This is completely unimportant for two weapon fighting, but does matter for some other bonus action features like Shieldmaster.

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 505
    In Adventure League play, are there any restrictions to the number of classes one can multiclass into? To clarify, I'm not asking about ability score minimums to multiclass, but rather if it's okay to, say, have 1 level dips in several classes.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Q 505
    In Adventure League play, are there any restrictions to the number of classes one can multiclass into? To clarify, I'm not asking about ability score minimums to multiclass, but rather if it's okay to, say, have 1 level dips in several classes.
    Aside from the rules outlined in the PHB about multi-classing, there are no other restrictions. So you can multi-class into as many classes as you want to. Just remember that all the classes you want to multi-class into must be from the PHB or your PHB+1.
    -
    I have designed a Gothic Horror TTRPG built for actual play performances. If you want to play some sessions using it or talk theory, read more about it here!

My D&D 5e Homebrew Content

The Necronomicon. An >30 Page Cthulhu Mythos Supplement

Faerie Vampyre Monsters. Won 1st place in the GitP Monster Design Contest: Shapeshifters.

Check here for my extended homebrew signature!

30. - Top - End - #1230

PaladinGuy

Q504. If a spellcaster has an invisible companion (beast companion or familiar with Invisibility cast on them), could the party rogue use sneak attack against a target that is adjacent to the invisible companion? Or would the rogue need See Invisibility?
    A504 Based on PHB page 96, all that is required is that the companion be an enemy of your target, and not incapacitated.

Whether "enemy" means the companion must be hostile to your target, or your target must be hostile to the companion (and whether that's possible if it's unaware of the companion) is the territory of rulings, not RAW.
    Proclaiming something "objectively" true or false does not excuse you from proving it so.