New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXVIII: Get. In. The. BAG.

Are they special in any way or just to fill up the dex?
    Jude P.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Are they special in any way or just to fill up the dex?
    They have Gold Bottlecaps on them, and the giveaway ones are paired up so it's the one you normally don't get in that game (i.e. Heatran can be found in Ultra Sun but not Ultra Moon, and vice-versa for Regigigas).

3. - Top - End - #843

Eh, that's not fancy enough for me to care about it much. Here's another code then: A8A9W3SZRTMLF75F
    Jude P.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ogre in the Playground

Haha that's awesome, almost makes me want to start recording Showdown matches again.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Colossus in the Playground

For the Pokemon GO players - tomorrow at 4 PM Eastern, quests are going live. By helping the Professor with special research, you can get a chance to catch Mew, and there's a shiny version too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #847

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    For the Pokemon GO players - tomorrow at 4 PM Eastern, quests are going live. By helping the Professor with special research, you can get a chance to catch Mew, and there's a shiny version too!
    Boy, sure would be nice if they hadn't dropped support for the iPhone 5 last week.
    Jude P.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

9. - Top - End - #849
    Bugbear in the Playground

You may like to know that Pokéthon, a charity gaming marathon, is live on Twitch, and will be for about six days. https://pokethon.net has the details.
    Last edited by Ogremindes; 2018-04-03 at 05:19 PM.

10. - Top - End - #850

OldWizardGuy

I just booted up VC version of Crystal and ended up with shiny Cyndaquil. I didn't reset or do anything special, is there increased chance to get a shiny or something? Looking forwards to using Celebi in a playtrough.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    I just booted up VC version of Crystal and ended up with shiny Cyndaquil. I didn't reset or do anything special, is there increased chance to get a shiny or something? Looking forwards to using Celebi in a playtrough.
    I haven't heard anything about increased odds; I think you might just be really lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #852

OldWizardGuy

Dumb luck then, I can work with that.

Third team member of my Crystal run is...a shiny Cleffa? Ok, it can put things to sleep I guess. Fourth or fifth would have to be Jynx with Ice Punch to make dragons easier, since Sneasel doesn't quite cut it.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Titan in the Playground

Assuming it's from the egg at the daycare, that one there actually is an increased chance of being shiny.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

14. - Top - End - #854

A week later I still do not have Mew because Niantic locked it behind a number of quests including "get Ditto" and Ditto only spawns randomly, in disguise as a common Pokemon. So it's entirely RNG, almost everyone I know is stuck on this.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

To be fair, for lore reasons I feel like getting a Ditto would be an important step in understanding Mew.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ogre in the Playground

Out of curiosity, could anyone help me trade-evolve a couple of pokemon?
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

17. - Top - End - #857

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    To be fair, for lore reasons I feel like getting a Ditto would be an important step in understanding Mew.
    Yeah, I just wish it wasn't so random. I ended up burning through a few lures (premium item that you get very few for free) for nothing before a coworker alerted me to a Ditto spawn near the office.

Then there are quests like "do ten raids" or "evolve Magikarp" that are not random but still tedious, and have nothing to do with Mew...

Also - Community day for Mareep was today! Got two shinies and (unrelated) caught a beefy Dragonair that evolved to a 3210 CP Dragonite. Way more meta-relevant than Dragon Pulse Ampharos.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2018-04-15 at 03:26 PM.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

18. - Top - End - #858
    Troll in the Playground

Why are there next to no Woopers in Pokémon Go? One of my goals is to get an as good as possible Quagsire. Because it's one of the coolest mons, and it should really be the kind of mon with which you can do this sort of thing. It's just the kind of forgettable half decent monster that has no reason to be rare. Now this week there's an event where there are extra grass, ground and water Pokémon. Wooper is ground and water, so that's a double extra. I went out in the rain yesterday (well, in game rain, it was actually quite nice and sunny) which gives another boost to water types appearing, and what is the park full of, friggin supposedly rare mono fire typed Charmanders. Woopers don't even appear in eggs, so even that way I'm not getting any.

The event is still nice, you can never have too many Rhyhorns, and apparently one of the tasks for mew is
    Spoiler
    Show
    to evolve a Magikarp, so this is another good opportunity for people to grab those candies
    , but why no Woopers? Not one in the entire week so far. Just wait, ones I have the perfect Quagsire I will be the bane of all gym battlers ten levels below me who don't have any grass types! You can't stop me Niantic! (Okay, you probably can...)

The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

19. - Top - End - #859

Wooper used to be very common until the release of Gen 3. Now I barely see them around. Wait for a Wooper Community Day, I suppose.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Here is my team for Doubles Ubers
    Show
    Comfey @ Fairium Z
    Ability: Triage
    EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
    Impish Nature
    - Floral Healing
    - Aromatherapy
    - U-turn
    - Draining Kiss

Manaphy @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Hydration
    EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 76 SpD / 4 Spe
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Skill Swap
    - Tail Glow
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Toxic

Heliolisk @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Dry Skin
    EVs: 128 HP / 128 Def / 252 SpA
    Quiet Nature
    - Psych Up
    - Toxic
    - Electric Terrain
    - Parabolic Charge

Oranguru @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Telepathy
    EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    - Instruct
    - Nasty Plot
    - Toxic
    - Future Sight

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
    Ability: Primordial Sea
    EVs: 252 Atk / 88 Def / 168 SpA
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Iron Head
    - Origin Pulse
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Aqua Tail

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
    Ability: Lightning Rod
    EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpA / 128 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Steel]
    - Laser Focus
    - Energy Ball

And here it is in action.

What do you guys think?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

21. - Top - End - #861

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Why are there next to no Woopers in Pokémon Go? One of my goals is to get an as good as possible Quagsire. Because it's one of the coolest mons, and it should really be the kind of mon with which you can do this sort of thing. It's just the kind of forgettable half decent monster that has no reason to be rare. Now this week there's an event where there are extra grass, ground and water Pokémon. Wooper is ground and water, so that's a double extra. I went out in the rain yesterday (well, in game rain, it was actually quite nice and sunny) which gives another boost to water types appearing, and what is the park full of, friggin supposedly rare mono fire typed Charmanders. Woopers don't even appear in eggs, so even that way I'm not getting any.

The event is still nice, you can never have too many Rhyhorns, and apparently one of the tasks for mew is
    Spoiler
    Show
    to evolve a Magikarp, so this is another good opportunity for people to grab those candies
    , but why no Woopers? Not one in the entire week so far. Just wait, ones I have the perfect Quagsire I will be the bane of all gym battlers ten levels below me who don't have any grass types! You can't stop me Niantic! (Okay, you probably can...)

Yeah, woopers were common before Gen3 was released. I've started seeing more around my area in the past few weeks, but the months since Gen3 have been pretty dry for them.

I must say though, the animation when you evolve a Quagsire is one of my favorite in the whole game. "GONK!"

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone happen to have a spare code for this months event? Nearest GameStop is almost an hour away.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ettin in the Playground

I wonder when people will smarten up and my Marshadow-countering Smeargle trick will stop working?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Troll in the Playground

I'm currently playing a fanmade game, Pokémon Alchemist. It's very well made, I can recommend it. The mechanics are (mostly) gen 5. It follows the usual conventions, and then sets just a step outside it.
    Spoiler: For instance:
    Show
    There is a gym leader who specializes in a type, as usual. But after you fight him you also fight his boss at the company where he works, and his boss has a diverse team of Pokémon that all in one way or another counter the type the gym leader uses. It's not a nasty surprise, you're even warned that that's what he has, it's just cool to see.

While playing it I stumbled upon a new concept: An honorary HM slave. I really like Rhyhorn and Rhydon, but within the kind of team I wanted to do the ground-rock double typing simply has no place, it's too weak to everything that all the other mon are already vulnerable to. So I took Rhyhorn as an HM slave that currently knows headbutt (for finding mon in trees), rock smash and strength (the other move is still a regular move, currently bulldoze). The plan is to give him surf, but Rhyhorn can't learn surf, only Rhydon. So I need to level him up. Which would usually be way too much trouble, but since I like the mon I don't mind. Using experience share and such I keep him maybe a few levels behind the main party, and it turned out he can actually be situationally very helpful, as he proved when kicking the crap out of a flying type gym (he learned bulldoze during that fight, before that it was a rock move). Most areas in a Pokémon game don't actually require a nice balanced party. they're easier with the right type of lopsided party. So I switch between my seven main mons (I need to ditch either Slowbro or Polywrath to make it six again, hard choice), a few recent retirees coming back for one final round and my honorary HM slave. I kind of like this setup, I think I'm going to take the concept with me. Instead of hating that I ruined my perfectly good Gyarados by installing 3 or 4 water themed HM's on it, (I need what now? I have whirlpool and dive, can't I use those skills to somehow swim up this waterfall? This is the dumbest Pokémon game ever!) I should in that situation level up a Magikarp specifically for those HM's, don't count it as a member of my main team and think it's cool when the thing becomes useful after all. Like maybe take it along for the desert route. It feels more like another cool Pokémon I have now, and less like a thing I'm being forced to do with a stupid unevolved rodent. (Or, you know, with my starter, because I'm a monster.)

Also, on a Pokémon Go note: Adventure week! Fossil Pokémon everywhere! Weeeee!
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2018-05-26 at 06:55 AM.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ettin in the Playground

There was a guy on youtube who beat Brawly in Emerald with his HM-slave/party-mascot.

I think most of you know exactly who I'm talking about.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    There was a guy on youtube who beat Brawly in Emerald with his HM-slave/party-mascot.

I think most of you know exactly who I'm talking about.
    No, I don't and I do not know what you are hinting at. But I am curious now.

Most areas in a Pokémon game don't actually require a nice balanced party. they're easier with the right type of lopsided party.
    I know it is obvious but I am used to a "main party". Back when TMs were single use, XP shares did not magically create XP out of thin air and pokemon XP was independant from the battler's level, it was harder to raise different pokemon.

Maybe my Pokemon sun run will be more enjoyable once I just accept that my main roster will included 10-12 pokes.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    I know it is obvious but I am used to a "main party". Back when TMs were single use, XP shares did not magically create XP out of thin air and pokemon XP was independant from the battler's level, it was harder to raise different pokemon.

Maybe my Pokemon sun run will be more enjoyable once I just accept that my main roster will included 10-12 pokes.
    The fastest way is always to just go with a single Pokémon. It will automatically become overleveled and blast through everything. I'm kind of doing a "no rush" run on this one. I haven't been very serious about good movesets and such, so i'm still around the same level as a boss when I beat it, but I am enjoying the journey.

(I'm also using only ground, rock, water and ice Pokémon, so for something like a grass gym I need to improvise a little bit. )

P.S. I'm curious too.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2018-05-26 at 06:54 AM.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    No, I don't and I do not know what you are hinting at. But I am curious now.
    Chuggaaconroy had beaten Brawly's machop easily enough, and had lowered his makuhita's HP to red, as well as poisoning it. His last "real" team member got knocked out, so he had no choice but to send out Slavinator, the level 3 zigzagoon. Then the poison damage activated.

Slavinator grew all the way to level 7 from that.

I wasn't sure where to put the word "technically" in my previous post, so I just left it out.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2018-05-26 at 07:04 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

30. - Top - End - #870
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Chuggaaconroy had beaten Brawly's machop easily enough, and had lowered his makuhita's HP to red, as well as poisoning it. His last "real" team member got knocked out, so he had no choice but to send out Slavinator, the level 3 zigzagoon. Then the poison damage activated.

Slavinator grew all the way to level 7 from that.

I wasn't sure where to put the word "technically" in my previous post, so I just left it out.
    That is pretty cool.

Mine had a sort of similar story. A trainer with a Chansey stalled me out with minimize/soft boiled/I think maybe defense curl but probably not shenannigans, with double slap tacked on for damage. My team was pretty worn out already, but luckily I had a guy that resist double slap with rock smash, which doesn't do too much damage, but does lower defense. I think it gained 5 to 6 thousand xp and 3 levels or so, maybe 4. It was somewhat underleveled at that point, and Chansey's base xp rate doesn't hurt either.