New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: VIGIL 4: Swordfights!!! on Air

[Responding to the broadcast message]
    At first

Awen the witch hears the message. She turns towards her fox. "D-did you hear that, Reynard?" she asks him. The fox looks at her. "Yes, I-I know that, but it's an order." Then, "But didn't you hear? It's the same -" I mean, sure, she hasn't really been out and socializing a lot recently, but that doesn't mean she should keep on trying to avoid everyone and everything forever. She starts preparing to leave, for combat. She puts on a headscarf and a veil, then a jacket and gloves, changes to a different skirt, then grabs a purse. She starts dumping unlabeled bottles of potions and poisons into the purse-bag. "You know what? You can just stay here if that's what you want. I don't - ... no, but... I mean, just shut up! I'm going." Just before leaving her room, she grabs a cheap wooden holy symbol hanging from her wall, and puts it around her neck. As almost an afterthought, she grabs a broom. She's been working on it really hard, so hopefully it'll work this time? She leaves and heads to the Airship Gantry(?) where everyone ought to gather to go to Riverside.

The fox yawns, stretches, then hops off the bed and follows behind her.

Then,

Awen, a perfectly normal (if timid) human girl who reaches under her layered clothing to scratch the green scales growing on her arms and neck, arrives at the gantry, ready to hear further orders. She is excited rather nervous to travel to Riverside to defeat the demons do her best, in spite of being completely overwhelmed the last time she fought demons like these.

Maybe this time will be different. She is, after all, better prepared and slightly more confident than last time.

She looks down at her feet, working up the courage to announce her arrival. "U-um... Awen here, reporting for combat." She salutes. It seems like the right thing to do.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2018-01-07 at 05:16 AM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Barracks]

"Well, it isn't like I don't want to fight for my country, or my people, I just think most of my people are really dumb, y'know? I still serve, just in a different way. Sounds like you had your heart at the right place though. Just don't let yourself be blinded by idealism, you can't fight the enemy if you're dead and money means more than just a mean to sustain yourself. It means resources you can use in your fight." Anika argues. "As for the all-male army, I am not so sure-"

Then Anika is interrupted by the alarm. Huh.
    Gary is about to says something, but then hears the alarm and grabs his M1 Garand. "Come on, we need to go help." He says as he starts to run out if the barracks to wherever he needs to go for deployment.
    Last edited by 8BitNinja; 2018-01-07 at 09:36 PM.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ogre in the Playground

[Arriving]

"They ought to be by nature, but I can't say I've practically teste-" Reinholdt trails off, ears twitching towards the loud announcement. Why'd Wenomir specify the kind of demon? Was that important in some manner?

"I guess you have a job to do, huh?" Reinholdt says as he moves to leap off the roof and onto Felandria's shoulder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ogre in the Playground

[Broadcast]

Kal shows up in response to the message. He looks calm and confident, almost eager.

Kalya also shows up. She looks anything but.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    She’s graduated from child soldier to unstable teen sorceress, way to go.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Arriving]

"They ought to be by nature, but I can't say I've practically teste-" Reinholdt trails off, ears twitching towards the loud announcement. Why'd Wenomir specify the kind of demon? Was that important in some manner?

"I guess you have a job to do, huh?" Reinholdt says as he moves to leap off the roof and onto Felandria's shoulder.
    Felandria hears the alarm as well.

Looks like it.

Wanna come with me, I’ll be honest, you on my shoulder only makes us both look more badass.

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ogre in the Playground

[Arrived]

"I'll go with you to the briefing. What I do from there... well, we'll see. No promises." Reinholdt cannot deny the flash of riding Felandria into battle, but finds the whole probability of certain death and grievous injury too high. The sniper would rather stay back and undetected if he participates at all in the situation.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

[Flying in From Riverside]

A very colorful bird promptly lands on the shoulder of whoever will allow him to sit.
    ”All ready to go, Boss. Wish I could offer to fly someone.” he says, still lamenting his slow growth rate.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

8. - Top - End - #818
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Arrived]

"I'll go with you to the briefing. What I do from there... well, we'll see. No promises." Reinholdt cannot deny the flash of riding Felandria into battle, but finds the whole probability of certain death and grievous injury too high. The sniper would rather stay back and undetected if he participates at all in the situation.
    Cool.

Okay then, we better hurry.

Fel resists the temptation to give Reinholdt a little kiss since he's right there and heads to the briefing.

9. - Top - End - #819

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Gary is about to says something, but then hears the alarm and grabs his M1 Garand. "Come on, we need to go help." He says as he starts to run out if the barracks to wherever he needs to go for deployment.
    [Responding to the broadcast message]

Anika would grab her staff... if she could find it that is. She just have to proceed to the meeting weaponless.
    Then the two can run off to meet the warrior. Anika had plenty of experience with demon bashing so this sounded like something she could do.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2018-01-08 at 12:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Flying in From Riverside]

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Wenomir freezes in his tracks when Sophia and Harnetta both deliver them the same news. His shock sublimates into murderous fury pretty quickly, of course. When he speaks next, it's through clenched teeth.

"Then let's show those vermin how bad an idea it was. I don't know if they're capable of screaming for mercy, but I plan to teach them."

He turns on his communicator and broadcasts a message to all Vigil members present:

"This is Commander Wenomir speaking. The Cuthun demons have invaded Riverside. I need everyone to join our counterattack. All hands on deck. That's an order."
    They've put up a barrier that blocks communication in-and-out of the city. Probably connected to an obelisk that they're defending on the city border - we weren't able to get close to it. They've dropped in three of the big burning rock creatures so far.
    Sophia (for Harnetta's benefit, a four-armed demon-hunting bug-person (nominally a 'stalker-flight angel')) steps back and hangs behind Wenomir as people gather. She'll have to go along to keep them informed. Hopefully. If the barrier stays up she won't be very effective at that.

In response to the broadcast, Alice grabs her gear and takes an emergency monorail platform up to meet Wenomir. This is a bit frightening a great opportunity. Since the centaur has been here, well, she's been in fights and gone on two or three missions, but this is the first thing to involve the whole organization. Surely no one will be able to doubt her dedication to VIGIL...if she makes it out of this. While the rune platform sweeps up towards the academy, she half-crosses her hands and says a prayer.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #821
    Titan in the Playground

[Riverside Briefing]

"Infernals. That's not good. We'll need some serious firepower to crack those," Wenomir says. His weapons might as well be toothpicks against those. Then he turns to the assembled Vigil members.

"Listen, everyone. Riverside is being invaded by demons and they've come in great force. But if they think they'll have an easy time of it, they've got another thing coming." The warrior looks over everyone, his voice cracking with barely-restrained fury and his eyes darkening. "Once we get there, we'll split up into teams that will tackle different targets. But our priority is to destroy whatever they're using to block communications, unless someone else does it. As it is, we're flying blind. So be prepared for everything and ready for improvise. Those things won't show you mercy or pity, so kill any of them that you can. But their footsoldiers are more or less inexhaustible, so we need to focus on leaders and infrastructure." He pauses, then continues. "We'll also likely need to help fleeing civilians. The demons will try to kill or corrupt them. Our non-combatant staff can handle it, but someone will have to assist and protect them."
    Last edited by Morty; 2018-01-09 at 12:45 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #822

[Riverside Briefing]

Mia is missing here. As she left she mentioned some kind of important meeting in Riverside, but neither gave more informations. In any case she should be in Riverside right now. Not to forget her people are there as well.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground

Vigil Briefing

”Well sir as a dragon my presence can banish cuthun corruption if someone’s not far gone. But it also makes me a good weapon against the leadership. Your call, sir.” posits the bird from a shoulder.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

14. - Top - End - #824
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Riverside Briefing]

"Infernals. That's not good. We'll need some serious firepower to crack those," Wenomir says. His weapons might as well be toothpicks against those. Then he turns to the assembled Vigil members.

"Listen, everyone. Riverside is being invaded by demons and they've come in great force. But if they think they'll have an easy time of it, they've got another thing coming." The warrior looks over everyone, his voice cracking with barely-restrained fury and his eyes darkening. "Once we get there, we'll split up into teams that will tackle different targets. But our priority is to destroy whatever they're using to block communications, unless someone else does it. As it is, we're flying blind. So be prepared for everything and ready for improvise. Those things won't show you mercy or pity, so kill any of them that you can. But their footsoldiers are more or less inexhaustible, so we need to focus on leaders and infrastructure." He pauses, then continues. "We'll also likely need to help fleeing civilians. The demons will try to kill or corrupt them. Our non-combatant staff can handle it, but someone will have to assist and protect them."
    Right, sir.

Where do you need me, smashing the big targets, clearing out the peons?

15. - Top - End - #825

[Riverside Briefing]

Listening to Wenomir's instructions, Awen nods. She can do that. She hopes she can do that.

To be honest, she'd rather be alone rather than fighting in a group, for multiple reasons. She almost even outright says "I'd rather fight them alone, I think it would be more efficient that way and I can handle it" - but that would really be sort of a lie. She definitely can't handle it, but she would definitely be more comfortable that way.

No, the biggest problem is that she'd have to use her magic in front of the others, and there's all sorts of things that could go wrong when that happens. It's not exactly the...prettiest magic. Yes, that's the word she'll go with. "Situational" is another word she can think of, but she can't really think of any situation she'll be unable to use it, just situations she'd rather not if she had a choice.

Rather than bringing up how nervous she is, or her preference for being alone, or any of the other half dozen things running through her mind, she simply responds, "Yes, sir, of course. I can be useful in wherever I'm assigned."

Awen mentally berates herself for saying that, but it's true regardless of her feelings on the matter.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2018-01-09 at 07:43 PM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Troll in the Playground

[Riverside Briefing]

Gary says to Wenomir "Sir, Where would you like me to be? I can help anywhere you place me, but if I may be so bold as to make suggestions to my superior, sir, I believe I may be more useful fighting at the front assisting at the evacuation." He speaks with some nervousness, partially due to the fact that he isn't familiar with such an informal army, or with this new code of etiquette he must follow. He says to Anika "Hey, do you need a weapon? If you do, I can give you my pistol, but you have to promise you won't lose it."
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ogre in the Playground

[Riverside Briefing]

Reinholdt just listens quietly, licking one of his paws and rubbing at the back of his ear. Might as well get clean(er). So, these demons could corrupt people at will? Whatever happened to the steady descent into insanity? The gentle pushes and nudges that drove a person mad by their own two paws. The type of corruption that came from within by making poor choices based on ill advice and foul temptations. Evil born from within, now that was insidious. Demons these days, Rein swears.
    Ugh, he feels old now. Finding that gray hair as he grooms doesn't help.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ogre in the Playground

Riverside Briefing

A six foot tall man bursts in, gasping for breath. He is covered in a green robe and cowl, yet raven black slips to a shoulder length from said cowl. The man has six horns protruding from his head, each one ripping a hole through the cowl. The man wears a chain shirt over his robe, and has longsword sheathed at his hip. The sword's hilt is black, but the pommel isn't made of any metal at all but a large yellow cat's eye with a black iris. The man is grasping his sword with a red, clawed hand.

Whooo... Xavouir Markard gasps, stooping down with his hands on his knees.

Sorry I'm late, was dealing with a- nevermind. How late am I?
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    the biggest nerd ever who transforms into BEAR is of course alluring.

19. - Top - End - #829

[Riverside Briefing]

Awen, a girl wearing so much clothes that it's entirely possible she's just an animated pile of clothes, turns to the latecomer Xavouir Markard.

"You're not very late, others arrived just before you," she whispers. She whispers it to not draw attention from Wenomir and the discussion. "Basically, the demons who we've fought before are attacking a city, and he" (she points at Wenomir) "is organizing us to open up communications there, assassinate the demon leaders, break their infrastructure, and rescue civilians before they get corrupted."

As an afterthought, she adds, "Oh! And they're weak to dragons, silver, and a couple other things."
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

20. - Top - End - #830

[Riverside Briefing]

Anika stares at the gun. "Uh, I never used one of those before, but I've seen them plenty of times. I might just hurt myself using it really, they seem pretty dangerous." She admits. "Maybe you should keep it, I'm not that good at keeping track of things anyway. I have my own ways of dealing with demons. Killed plenty of them in the past, the demons from my world at least."

((Should be noted that corruption originally took weeks and months in the chat game the demons originally came from. But when it was introduced into the nexus by wolfy (corruption was never really that big of a thing back then) he had it being nearly instant as it was more dramatic.))

21. - Top - End - #831
    Titan in the Playground

[Riverside Briefing]

Wenomir considers it, letting Awen bring Xavouir up to speed.

"Stay with the refugees, Spako. Cleansing corruption is in a shorter supply than killing demons," he finally says. "Kalya will coordinate aiding and protecting refugees, you'll heal and protect them. The demons will want to catch and kill or capture those who escape." He looks to Gary. He's never seen him before, but he saw the report about his recruitment. "You'll go with the rest of us and join a team once we're there. We know too little to make specific plans now. But we need to hit them hard and fast, in several places simultaneously."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

22. - Top - End - #832

Default [Riverside Briefing]

"Actually, sir, we haven't seen any evidence of the demons attacking the evacuees on the west highway. Maybe they've met more resistance than expected in the city?"
    Sophia adds. They don't know a lot, but they do know something. The demons have limited themselves to military targets. And the collateral damage of dropping infernals. And anyone who gets in their way. But still, limits.
    "This is probably the best chance to get people away safely, before the situation changes."

"If anyone hasn't already gotten a silver anti-demon ward from the armory..."
    Alice goes around the assembled VIGILantes handing out instances of the little pendants that the wizards prepared. Wouldn't want anyone taken in by demonic magics if it can be avoided.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2018-01-12 at 10:51 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ogre in the Playground

Riverside Briefing

Woah there, partner! Silver and I don't exactly mix, especially if that does what I think it does. As long as Kitty, er my sword, stays on my person, my mind is as impenetrable as... something really impenetrable. Can't really think of a simile at the moment Xavouir says as Alice gets near him.
    "I'M just a guy with a boomerang... I didn't ask for all this flying... and MAGIC!!!" -Sokka

24. - Top - End - #834
    Troll in the Playground

Gary says to Wenomir "Yes, sir. I'll be ready for deployment when the rest are." He then turns to Anika and says "Alright. If you need a silver weapon while we're in the field, just get the weapon you need silver to me. I can change it into silver. No time to explain how I can do it right now, though."
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

25. - Top - End - #835

[Riverside Briefing]

Awen has not received a ward yet. As such, she receives one of the silver wards. "Thank you."

As everyone knows, silver is associated with magic, healing, and purification. So, that's a good thing for her. The witch hangs the silver pendant on her neck, next to the wooden holy symbol.

She's pretty sure she was included with the "rest of us" in the instructions, so Awen doesn't really have much to say. She feels awkward for just standing here, without anything to add, unlike the others who are offering cleansing power or extra weapons or protection. To alleviate this feeling, she bends down and picks up her fox, holding him between her arms.
    ...it's a little harder with the broom handle in one hand, but after a little bit of adjusting, she manages it.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2018-01-14 at 12:57 AM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Orc in the Playground

Riverside Briefing

Felandria already has a silver thing on her necklace, mostly because she had to have one custom made for her.

But she will take one anyway and give it to Reinholdt.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ogre in the Playground

[Riverside Briefing]

"Thanks." Reinholdt says, as much to Felandria as to Alice. The cat takes a look over the ward to see what might make them special beyond just the silver, if anything. But the feline doesn't worry about that too long.

After all, there's a fox over there in Awen's arms he needs to stare suspiciously at. Especially if it's a black fox, but staring at it in general seems fair. That wouldn't be Reynard, would it? Nah, he surely hasn't left his museum in such a situation, no matter how much self-indulgent orchestration he believed himself to have accomplished. Still, foxes at this point in time are very suspicious indeed.
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2018-01-14 at 06:58 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

28. - Top - End - #838

"Ok, don't worry, Kitty. I won't hurt your wielder."
    Alice looks at Xavouir suspiciously for a moment, but then passes by. And when Sophia waves off the ward, which glows bright when presented to her, that's fine too. VIGIL takes people who are literally made of evil and burned by the presence of purity, as long as they're helping protect the Nexus. Sure, the centauress can wear silver, but is she really any better than the literal demons among them?

The ward-tokens are comfortably warm when you might not expect metal to be. They have flecks of dragon-scale embedded in one side, and VIGIL's haloed-tower emblem engraved in the other. That's all.

Now, whenever Wenomir (or Harnetta?) gives the signal to go, they're ready.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #839

[Riverside Briefing]

The fox Awen is holding is, in fact, a bog-standard red fox and not a black fox. I mean, sure, it could be an illusion (she is a witch after all) but what possible motive could a fox have to mess with a cat?

Speaking of, her fox starts wriggling in her arms, trying to twist around and burrow its nose into the folds of her clothes. Probably looking to see if she had brought food or mice or something along for him. "No, Reynard, there's -" she says in a forced (and somewhat harsh) whisper. "Reynard" must be a common name for foxes, like Mary or John. "Stop, there's nothing there."

Awen lets the fox drop to the ground. "No, you listen." She scolds the fox. "If you're not going to take demons seriously, you should just stay here."

Reynard stares up at her, not leaving. She glares back, until...Hmph. The witch gives up, rolls her eyes, and then turns her attention into her purse. She starts to organize the potions and poisons she originally just haphazardly threw in there.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2018-01-15 at 02:13 AM.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ogre in the Playground

Riverside Briefing

"Kitty's wielder" has a name you know... Xavouir grumbles indignantly.
    Last edited by Celticbear; 2018-01-15 at 11:09 AM.