New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

tongue The changing face of Parson Gotti

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    I couldn't help but notice the lack when I looked at the last panel of today's comic. Looking over the pages he clearly had pupils at the beginning but around page 32 or so they disappeared. I can understand not using them for more distant shots. You don't have to bother all the time but when you do close ups on his face they really should still be there.

Unless this is a sign that Parson is turning into an Elfworld units as time goes on...
    This acute observation was dismissed at the time it was made, but now it seems tomaO2 was right on the money. Compare the following panels:
    Erfworld 18, panels 5, 13 (right after being summoned)
    Erfworld 40, panels 7, 9 (after first sleepover and breakfast)
    Erfworld 54, panel 9 (after second sleepover and breakfast)
    Erfworld 60, panels 1, 9 (most recent)

It should be obvious that Parson's face changed significantly over that span, becoming more Erflike. The dissapearing pupils are only a part of this--there are other changes. His proportions changed too: his head is relatively bigger in proportion to his bulk, even though not quite to the extent of native Erfworlders.

Now there are only two explanation for this drastic change in Parson's appearance:
    1. Jamie cannot decide how to draw the main protagonist.
    2. Jamie is deliberately mutating Parson's appearance.

Alternative 1 can safely be dismissed. Over the course of the comic, we've had many opportunities to admire Jamie's mastery and artistic skill. Also, all the other principal characters are drawn consistently.

Alternative 2 is the only obvious conclusion. Parson doesn't just change; he clearly mutates from a more realistic appearance towards the characteristic Erfworld manner: no pupils, oversize head, cute face. We can only assume that this is deliberate, and part of the plot. Parson is going native.

Discuss.
    Last edited by Freederick; 2007-07-23 at 08:07 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The changing face of Parson Gotti

Parson was native already. He just didn't look that way.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I think the character art-work itself is changing.

If you compare Vinnie's first appearance and the newest comics you'll notice his ears changed, his face got rounder, and his chin doesn't have a line anymore.

It is common for an artist's style to slowly change, even if they are good.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

I think you may be reading too mcuh into this.

Likely, the times that Parson is more detailed has more to do with the amount of time Jamie had to draw it. Notice that he has been hard pressed to meet deadlines? I mean when was the last time an Erfworld was actually posted on time? The point is, if you rush to get something done, you get rushed work.

It is not a reflection on Jamie as an artist, but more a reflection of the hectic pace he is forced to adopt. Thus his work suffers in terms of quality because he is attempting to produce quantity. If Erf went to a once a week format, likely we'd see that trend reverse itself(and likely strips would be on time).

So if you want Erf to continue at it's current fast pace, then some detail will have to be sacrificed. If you want detail, don't complain when you only get one comic a week. You can't have it both ways since Jamie likely has a life outside of drawing this web comic. Though I don't have one outside of reading it..

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm assuming that the lack of Parson's pupils must mean something. While the rush might account for the lack of detail in Parson's face, and possibly even the lack of pupils in the farther away drawings. I think the pupils would still be there in closer shots. Another interesting thing that on page 15 and 16 his pupils were black and on page 18 and 19 they were white. So why would that change if just less detail was being drawn in.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like Parson better now. He just doesn't look so supernaturally chubby. The close-ups on his face were a little disturbing in the early parts of the comic. But it did add to my curiosity.

I hope my borderline anorexia doesn't bother any overweight people out there. Its just different when the people in the spotlight aren't perfectly proportioned.

And I have to agree with the reasoning that graphics impede progress. So, churn out more Erf-style Parsons, please!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Freederick View Post
    Now there are only two explanation for this drastic change in Parson's appearance:
    1. Jamie is incompetent as an artist, and cannot draw the main protagonist well.
    2. Jamie is deliberately mutating Parson's appearance.
    With all due respect, if you are wrong, you are insulting the artist.

I recall that Jamie has already told us that his level of detail depends upon what is most significant narratively. Therefore I would suggest that it is very likely that variations in detail - not affecting the narrative - signify nothing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by spite48 View Post
    With all due respect, if you are wrong, you are insulting the artist.

I recall that Jamie has already told us that his level of detail depends upon what is most significant narratively. Therefore I would suggest that it is very likely that variations in detail - not affecting the narrative - signify nothing.
    I did not intend this as an insult--what I was trying to say is that the change is deliberate, and very likely plot-related. Note that Parson's appearance does not just vary randomly--this rules out alternative 1, which was never meant seriously anyway. I do concede that it is possible that the change is due to artistic expression of the comic evolving, perhaps sureptitiously, and not consciously related to plot. But even if there is no "hidden" meaning to the mutation, I like the changed Parson better.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rumours View Post
    It is common for an artist's style to slowly change, even if they are good.
    Especially if they are good.

Take a look at General Protection Fault. It has always adhered to a strict character design continuity, but the artist's skill improved over time (as it is wont to do). The result? The older a character is, the most abstract he looks like. Compare Todd and mischief on the latest strip. (One could argue it's partly a stylistic decision. Mischief, as a godlike extra-universal entity, is "more real" than Todd, and the more realistic pictures could be there to reflect that. But it's still true of other characters. On the GPF crew logo, compare Trent to Sharon, and Sharon to everyone else.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    The result? The older a character is, the most abstract he looks like. Compare Todd and mischief on the latest strip. (One could argue it's partly a stylistic decision. Mischief, as a godlike extra-universal entity, is "more real" than Todd, and the more realistic pictures could be there to reflect that.
    The problem with your "older == more stylized" argument (at least in Jeff's case) is that Mischief appears well before the introduction of Todd - by nearly a year and a half, though arguably in the Prologue to the same story line. And neither have significantly changed since.

Styles do change over time of course, for any of a number of reasons. Improvements in technique can be a big part of it, or simply drift over time. Rarely though is it a matter of deliberate effort to depict some event not otherwise indicated in the story. The "realistic" style of Parson, his friends and surroundings in "his" world in contrast to the more "cartoonish" style in Erf is obviously accounted for by the reality shift. Something like "he's losing his pupils" is way too subtle to be meaningful, unless Parson himself were to comment on it.

Another interesting thing that on page 15 and 16 his pupils were black and on page 18 and 19 they were white. So why would that change if just less detail was being drawn in.
    The "white" highlights on pages 18 & 19 seem to be just that - rfflected light highlights. We see them also in the close shots of 15 & 16. What I don't think we have seen since though is a sufficiently tight shot under similar lighting conditions to his appartment. Except for the "revieing the troops" pages pretty much everything since he's arrived his been indoors under "gloomy" lighting.
    Last edited by ChowGuy; 2007-07-23 at 11:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

I don't see any difference in the last three. The first one was different, but I chalked that up to him being sick and about to blow chunks.

The last three he looks the same to me in each. The lighting is a bit different in each one and his mood is different but he overall in the face doesn't look any different to me in the last three pictures.
    Custom Avatar By: "The Chilli God"
    My Games:
    None Current

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

I often imagine I see things. I had thought that Jaime's artwork had gotten a little sloppy latel;y, but before I was willing to write that I went back and took another look. I can't really see any difference. I think I got that impression because I had started zooming in the comic to read it, otherwise it looks just fine.

Actually, if I could have it my way, I'd like pages that were at least 50% wider if not 100%. I already zoom in to 200% just to fill my screen but that doesn't add to the resolution. Yeah, I know. Bandwidth. We need a torrent.
    Illimir orc monk avatar by yours, truly. He seems to be looking for his cigarettes.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Vreejack View Post
    Actually, if I could have it my way, I'd like pages that were at least 50% wider if not 100%. I already zoom in to 200% just to fill my screen but that doesn't add to the resolution. Yeah, I know. Bandwidth. We need a torrent.
    It's not just a question of bandwidth. Not everyone has, or has use for, wide screen monitors. I already keep my (Phillips 20") monitor at 1280x1024, and running fullscreen in Mozilla, no side bars, the comic leaves very little space. Much lower setting and I'd be side scrolling to read it. Any higher and I'd have to switch to Large Fonts to read anything else, which defeats the purpose. Any larger (non-flat) monitor would overhang my desk even worst then this one does already. It's a compromise, but one that is intended to reach as many readers as possible, which is the whole point.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

If there is a comic that is poorly served by the standard resolution then this is it. Rob Balder already knows this, however, or he would not be putting up blow-ups.
    Illimir orc monk avatar by yours, truly. He seems to be looking for his cigarettes.

15. - Top - End - #15

From a completely non-sexual standpoint, I have been noticing that Parson has gotten more handsome. I mean, from his links, look at Parson's face panel 4 page 18 and panel 1 page 60. No comparison!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
    Just checking... you do realize that when someone puts a funny hat on, they don't instantly split into two separate people, right?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

An interesting theory, on the part of the original poster. I think it may be a little premature to be making such an observation, quite yet. However, I'll be keeping this in mind and looking with a little more careful observation as the comic progresses.
    "78% of DM's admit to having started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that hasn't yet, stop fibbing."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Thou hast exploded mine brain.
    Congrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Oh, I can't wait to start racking up the XP for you smelly apes.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mockingbyrd7 View Post
    From a completely non-sexual standpoint, I have been noticing that Parson has gotten more handsome. I mean, from his links, look at Parson's face panel 4 page 18 and panel 1 page 60. No comparison!
    Well, since effects similar to bathing and grooming are part of a unit's upkeep cost along with food, Parson could actually be kept in a better state of "freshness" than he did under the voluntary system of personal hygene back on Earth.

Edit: And this just occurred to me. Since food in Erfworld "pops", I'd guess that almsot no one there overeats or idly snacks. Though I have doubts in the nutritional value of Stupid Meals, the fact that Parson's diet is actually being regulated might be helping him slim down some.
    Last edited by benthehater; 2007-08-01 at 12:57 PM.
    might just play the wall with this mean look on my grill
    act like i'm the hater that hates you from hateville
    -
    Though I may not appear to be an actual hater, I assure you, my quiet hate for the stupid is very real, and I do have both authentic hater cred and a ballpeen hammer."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by benthehater View Post
    Edit: And this just occurred to me. Since food in Erfworld "pops", I'd guess that almsot no one there overeats or idly snacks. Though I have doubts in the nutritional value of Stupid Meals, the fact that Parson's diet is actually being regulated might be helping him slim down some.
    Not to mention that, if he wants to get anywhere, he has to walk. While wearing his armor.

To quote Parson: Whee! Stairs...
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Regardless, two days of physical activity and regulated diet will not visibly change one's proportions.

Any alterations of Parson's draw style, assuming it is storyline-based, are more likely due to him going native. Which links up with the shifts in his font people have mentioned to being closer to Erfont.
    The road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began,
    Now far ahead the road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can--
    Pursuing it with eager feet,
    Meeting those who travel on the way,
    Where many paths and errands meet,
    And whither then, I cannot say.
    --J.R.R. Tolkien

20. - Top - End - #20

As a comic artist, I can tell you guys that Parson's look is changing because the artist is getting to know him better.

It hasn't been long enough for the artist to make any real leaps and bounds in drawing skill (he's very good, by the way), so what he's doing is learning to draw parson in a way that best represents his personality. If you look at him in the first few pages, his look implies that he's oafish, loud, awkward, and weird. While this does describe Parson, once he gets into Erfworld, he's really in his element. He is suddenly cooler than all the Erfworld guys because he doesn't look like a big-headed cartoon character, and he is in an important and respected position. Now that he's in Erfworld, he finally fits in, so the art changes to reflect that.

His appearance is subtlely changing to reflect how he views himself, and how others view him. When you see him in recent pages, he looks self-assured and determined to win, which is how he feels. If he got into a situation where he was a dork again, I'm sure he'd be drawn with little details emphasized, making him stand out from everyone else.

One thing to watch, however, is his height and proportioning. If he is slowly transforming into an erfworld character, his hands will shrink, his proportions will become exaggerated, and he might get smaller (he might also stay tall, like Bogroll).

Interesting stuff, either way.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Agreed. Its just the artist's style changing. Like Elflad did in Legendary (You'll have to examine the early and later comic strips), except Elflad did it to make the comic look better, rather than charecter development (of a sort). Or is it more like what Mark Shallow did with Adventurers!. Examine Ardam in the 4th to last comic, and compare him to the first comic. (Ardam is the mage) (Karn (The warrior) isn't a good comparison because his "sprite" actually did change several times over the course of the comic). Ignore Ardam's missing hat, though.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

22. - Top - End - #22

I liked the old style better, then. To my eye the artwork in the strips that have come since the 'having problems' announcement, has looked a bit rushed or cluttered or something. Pre-announcement it was cleaner, with more crisp detail focused on the central character(s) of the frame and was better in other areas such as focus, perspective, and coloring.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Crap, you're on to something here. Parson even seems to have slimmed down- man was vast before he ended up in Erfworld.

You've really got something here! Keep a hold of it, might come in handy some day in a forum discussion!
    Noble Axeman of the Roy fanclub. Why?

Look at this face. That's why. That is one awesome face!

" MAMA'S BOY!"- Kefka cosplayer to Sephiroth cosplayer.