New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: I Did Something Nice To A Member In This Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Dahl View Post
    Say that to my face.
    Jon_Dahl's face, speak for yourself and stop assuming that you are representative of anyone but yourself.
    Last edited by SaintRidley; 2017-02-17 at 02:48 PM.
    Linguist and Invoker of Orcus of the Rudisplorker's Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Fantasy literature is ONLY worthwhile for what it can tell us about the real world; everything else is petty escapism.
    No author should have to take the time to say, "This little girl ISN'T evil, folks!" in order for the reader to understand that. It should be assumed that no first graders are irredeemably Evil unless the text tells you they are.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

You did a good thing.

Bragging might not be classy, but it isn't wrong either. Even if you did it solely to brag (and I'm not saying that's the case), you still did a good thing and made the world a little better for someone else. Keep it up.

IMHO, good actions should be praised and rewarded, not dismissed or diminished just because the doer decided to tell others.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2017-02-16 at 03:59 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    You did a good thing.

Bragging might not be classy, but it isn't wrong either. Even if you did it solely to brag (and I'm not saying that's the case), you still did a good thing and made the world a little better for someone else. Keep it up.

IMHO, good actions should be praised and rewarded, not dismissed or diminished just because the doer decided to tell others.
    Thank you.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

"A high school student wrote to ask, 'What was the greatest event in American history?' I can't say. However, I suspect that like so many 'great' events, it was something very simple and very quiet with little or no fanfare (such as someone forgiving someone else for a deep hurt that eventually changed the course of history). The really important 'great' things are never center stage of life's dramas; they're always 'in the wings.' That's why it's so essential for us to be mindful of the humble and the deep rather than the flashy and the superficial." - Fred Rogers

Bartmanhomer, you did a great thing. Posting about it on a forum is not so great, as you can see from the replies here, but that doesn't make what you did any less great. Red Fel has some of the best advice in this thread; that was great in several ways, because this also became a learning experience. So don't feel bad when people offer advice, because they're just trying to help. Which is great.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    "A high school student wrote to ask, 'What was the greatest event in American history?' I can't say. However, I suspect that like so many 'great' events, it was something very simple and very quiet with little or no fanfare (such as someone forgiving someone else for a deep hurt that eventually changed the course of history). The really important 'great' things are never center stage of life's dramas; they're always 'in the wings.' That's why it's so essential for us to be mindful of the humble and the deep rather than the flashy and the superficial." - Fred Rogers

Bartmanhomer, you did a great thing. Posting about it on a forum is not so great, as you can see from the replies here, but that doesn't make what you did any less great. Red Fel has some of the best advice in this thread; that was great in several ways, because this also became a learning experience. So don't feel bad when people offer advice, because they're just trying to help. Which is great.
    I just thought posting about it was a good idea at first but I didn't know it would lead to that much drama.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I just thought posting about it was a good idea at first but I didn't know it would lead to that much drama.
    We're on the internet. Everything leads to drama.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    You take that back! How dare you!
    You vacuous, toffee-nosed, malodorous pervert!
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    You vacuous, toffee-nosed, malodorous pervert!
    Yes, but I came here for an argument!
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    I just wish this thread will have a better outcome than all this drama. I have to learn the hard way and learn from it.

10. - Top - End - #40

GnomePirate

I just wish this thread will have a better outcome than all this drama. I have to learn the hard way and learn from it.
    What outcome did you wish for?
    When you made this thread, what did you hope would happen? What responses did you hope for?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Murk View Post
    What outcome did you wish for?
    When you made this thread, what did you hope would happen? What responses did you hope for?
    I thought I'll get positive response to other members in this forum.

12. - Top - End - #42

GnomePirate

Hm, yeah, I can understand that. It's not really what most threads here are for, but at least I can see where you're coming from.
    Oh well, lesson learned, I guess.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_Dahl View Post
    I like you, BartmanHomer, and I appreciate your threads and your insight. I wouldn't feel offended at all if you spoke about my private messages. Relax and just be yourself, we all like you.
    Anything I choose to put on the internet, I'm ready for it to be "leaked" to the public, so I also wouldn't feel offended if PMs from me were made public, but as others pointed out already, the correct general advice to give to someone who's struggling with social norms and conventions is that private conversations should be kept private unless the other party agrees.
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    Anything I choose to put on the internet, I'm ready for it to be "leaked" to the public, so I also wouldn't feel offended if PMs from me were made public, but as others pointed out already, the correct general advice to give to someone who's struggling with social norms and conventions is that private conversations should be kept private unless the other party agrees.
    Yes you, Red Fel and everybody else are right about it. I should really take everybody advice's and learn from it.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

I feel people would have more positive responses if, for example, you posted a thread asking what nice things other people had done recently, and then mentioned what you had done. As Red Fel said, threads in a forum are a form of conversation.
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GrayGriffin View Post
    I feel people would have more positive responses if, for example, you posted a thread asking what nice things other people had done recently, and then mentioned what you had done. As Red Fel said, threads in a forum are a form of conversation.
    I move on to remember to take people advice. As Red Del said.