New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Unless, as I have now stated several freaking times, there is a reason why they dont. The potterverse wizards live in their own enclaves, with their own government, their own laws, and enough numbers to have a war of mutual extinction at best if the white council tried to apply their delusional claims of authority over all things magical to wizards who outnumber them 100-1. You know, kind of like why they were
    Spoiler
    Show
    in a cold war with the vampire courts instead of trying to enforce their laws against them, both white and red court enthrall their victims, the black court are basically one giant case of necromancy, thats another law broken, instead of "sending in the wardens" to enforce their laws. Because they CANT. They dont have the numbers, the power, or the capability to do so.
    Trying to execute obliviators or anyone else would trigger a war, and they cant handle that. So they make their grandiose claims of control over all magical humans, the wand wavers blithely ignore them, and life moves on.

Hurdle. Surmounted.
    All of that stuff they're dealing with? Does not stop them from hunting down any potential Warlock. Even the possibility of bringing in the non-magic (the nuclear weapon of the magical community) does not stop them. There is nothing in the Dresden Files universe that will stop them, so there is nothing that even suggests they'd allow thousands of warlocks to set up their own government.

This is like insisting that, for example, the Federation would not simply allow but ignore the existence of the Shivans (freespace) or Daleks (Doctor Who) because they're too much trouble to fight. It conflicts with every single bit of what we know about the universe.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    All of that stuff they're dealing with? Does not stop them from hunting down any potential Warlock. Even the possibility of bringing in the non-magic (the nuclear weapon of the magical community) does not stop them. There is nothing in the Dresden Files universe that will stop them, so there is nothing that even suggests they'd allow thousands of warlocks to set up their own government.

This is like insisting that, for example, the Federation would not simply allow but ignore the existence of the Shivans (freespace) or Daleks (Doctor Who) because they're too much trouble to fight. It conflicts with every single bit of what we know about the universe.
    Except it doesnt, they dont just run face first into total annihilation against an enemy they cant defeat. Its not, "Oh it would be a pain to fight these guys." Its, "Oh, we could fight these guys and we would all probably die by the end of it." They still hunt down warlocks because those warlocks arent backed by potentially millions of other spellcasters who will get downright angry at their presumption. Spellcasters who, as it happens, DONT have a hard line set of laws forbidding them from killing humans with magic. (Or at least none that cant be altered, being legislative laws, not laws of magic) So great, send in the couple dozen sword waving wardens not currently busy doing any of a thousand other jobs to fight against the entire wanded world. Im sure that will go down GREAT. No, they wont go forth and slaughter the wanded wizards for breaking laws that dont apply to them. Because that would be mindbogglingly stupid and suicidal.

And as I said in one of the first posts on this subject, the best way to avoid this entire issue, or give it a legit excuse to hand wave it away is to go a route thats been used before. Wand using wizards have a buffer between them and the corrupting influence of dark magic with their wands. Its why they can have entire school subjects on transfiguration and both an attack and defense revolved around their minds, all without being corrupted automatically. Only the very worst spells, spells that will literally only work out of the sheer desire to dominate, make someone suffer, or make them die fall under the same heading for punishment, automatic, instant, irrevocable, life imprisonment (because the death penalty is so last century) without possibility of parole. Yeah it doesnt always work out that way due to corruption, but it IS the law, and it parallels the white council in an interesting manner.

When you look at the three unforgivables and see the connection there, by looking "deeper" you can see why the buffer idea makes sense. Because magic doesnt effect a wand user the same way, its only very specific spells that fall under the instant punishment level of crime. And because thats the case, the white council (probably reluctantly, probably not without copious griping to the icw on a regular basis) has no choice but to let it go because the reality is simple, not only does the corruptive reaction to this magic not exist the same way in their style of magic, they have no ability to enforce it anyways, even if they wanted to.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Except it doesnt, they dont just run face first into total annihilation against an enemy they cant defeat. Its not, "Oh it would be a pain to fight these guys." Its, "Oh, we could fight these guys and we would all probably die by the end of it." They still hunt down warlocks because those warlocks arent backed by potentially millions of other spellcasters who will get downright angry at their presumption. Spellcasters who, as it happens, DONT have a hard line set of laws forbidding them from killing humans with magic. (Or at least none that cant be altered, being legislative laws, not laws of magic) So great, send in the couple dozen sword waving wardens not currently busy doing any of a thousand other jobs to fight against the entire wanded world. Im sure that will go down GREAT. No, they wont go forth and slaughter the wanded wizards for breaking laws that dont apply to them. Because that would be mindbogglingly stupid and suicidal.

And as I said in one of the first posts on this subject, the best way to avoid this entire issue, or give it a legit excuse to hand wave it away is to go a route thats been used before. Wand using wizards have a buffer between them and the corrupting influence of dark magic with their wands. Its why they can have entire school subjects on transfiguration and both an attack and defense revolved around their minds, all without being corrupted automatically. Only the very worst spells, spells that will literally only work out of the sheer desire to dominate, make someone suffer, or make them die fall under the same heading for punishment, automatic, instant, irrevocable, life imprisonment (because the death penalty is so last century) without possibility of parole. Yeah it doesnt always work out that way due to corruption, but it IS the law, and it parallels the white council in an interesting manner.

When you look at the three unforgivables and see the connection there, by looking "deeper" you can see why the buffer idea makes sense. Because magic doesnt effect a wand user the same way, its only very specific spells that fall under the instant punishment level of crime. And because thats the case, the white council (probably reluctantly, probably not without copious griping to the icw on a regular basis) has no choice but to let it go because the reality is simple, not only does the corruptive reaction to this magic not exist the same way in their style of magic, they have no ability to enforce it anyways, even if they wanted to.
    Except that the white council would absolutely wreck the entire harry potter wizard universe. Dresdenverse wizards can use guns. Dresdenverse wizards have performed Colony Drops at least twice (In their war in the books, and in the Tunguska event) and as it specifies the colony drop against Duke Ortega was not magic (he had wards against magic, not gravity) which means they could nuke Hogwarts off the face of the earth potentially without violating their laws. Dresdenverse wizards have surprisingly effective countermagic judging by some of the wardens. And they wouldn't have to kill the whole potterverse anyway, they'd only have to take on deatheaters and keep an eye on the others, something which could be done using the Potterverse's own monitoring procedures vis a vis underage wizardry.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

4. - Top - End - #304

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Except that the white council would absolutely wreck the entire harry potter wizard universe. Dresdenverse wizards can use guns. Dresdenverse wizards have performed Colony Drops at least twice (In their war in the books, and in the Tunguska event) and as it specifies the colony drop against Duke Ortega was not magic (he had wards against magic, not gravity) which means they could nuke Hogwarts off the face of the earth potentially without violating their laws. Dresdenverse wizards have surprisingly effective countermagic judging by some of the wardens. And they wouldn't have to kill the whole potterverse anyway, they'd only have to take on deatheaters and keep an eye on the others, something which could be done using the Potterverse's own monitoring procedures vis a vis underage wizardry.
    They used magic to drop space junk on a vampires castle, trying to claim thats not killing with magic is like trying to claim it wasnt harrys magic that killed that guy, it was the fire he created with it. Duke ortega
    Spoiler
    Show
    was both a vampire, and thus not covered under the "thou shalt not kill humans with magic" clause. And was killed by the blackstaff, the guy who actually IS allowed to violate the laws of magic. So no, aside from the blackstaff they couldnt drop a meteor on hogwarts without violating their own laws. (Unless the school was empty at the time of course)
    and even if they did, that would start a world wide war against the white council, you keep focusing on britain as if its the only magical nation in the potterverse. Its not, there are millions of wizards and witches in the potterverse all over the world, and its doubtful they are all as corrupt, half obliterated from multiple dark lord wars, and otherwise useless as the brits are. And yes yes yes, they can use guns, so what? Potterverse wizards can teleport, transfigure, and cast potentially dozens of wildly different offensive spells. Not too mention mind control, torture beyond words, and instant death abilities. Good luck with a death curse when you die before you get the chance to use it. And all your protective shields are useless, unless it creates a physical device to intercept it. Dresdens shield is unable to stop them for example. Potterverse magicals are way more dangerous than you give them credit for, and your continued focus on britain as if thats the be all, end all of the wanded world is just way wrong.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

They used magic to drop space junk on a vampires castle, trying to claim thats not killing with magic is like trying to claim it wasnt harrys magic that killed that guy, it was the fire he created with it.
    For one thing, that's exactly how magic (and black magic) works. Using magic to start a chain of events that hurts people is not black magic for the purposes of being corrupted and isn't affected by anti-magic stuff. Once you light a fire with magic, its still fire. That's the entire principal of evocation.

For another thing, there were plenty of humans caught in that blast, and that revelation is part of why Harry stops trusting McCoy for a while.

Duke ortega
    Spoiler
    Show
    was both a vampire, and thus not covered under the "thou shalt not kill humans with magic" clause. And was killed by the blackstaff, the guy who actually IS allowed to violate the laws of magic. So no, aside from the blackstaff they couldnt drop a meteor on hogwarts without violating their own laws. (Unless the school was empty at the time of course)
    and even if they did, that would start a world wide war against the white council, you keep focusing on britain as if its the only magical nation in the potterverse. Its not, there are millions of wizards and witches in the potterverse all over the world, and its doubtful they are all as corrupt, half obliterated from multiple dark lord wars, and otherwise useless as the brits are. And yes yes yes, they can use guns, so what? Potterverse wizards can teleport, transfigure, and cast potentially dozens of wildly different offensive spells. Not too mention mind control, torture beyond words, and instant death abilities. Good luck with a death curse when you die before you get the chance to use it. And all your protective shields are useless, unless it creates a physical device to intercept it. Dresdens shield is unable to stop them for example. Potterverse magicals are way more dangerous than you give them credit for, and your continued focus on britain as if thats the be all, end all of the wanded world is just way wrong.
    Even if the wanded wizards would crush the White Council (something I heavily contest) the Council would still pick that fight because that is literally their entire purpose. They wouldn't ignore an organization of (to them) warlocks just because there are a lot of them, they would just get smart about it, something the wanded wizards are explicitly and hilariously unable to deal with. The most dangerous defense for a super magic artifact that an intelligent and crafty wizard was able to come up with was a simple logic puzzle.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #306

Look guys, whatever, im tired of arguing a freaking case of head cannon with you. It fits just fine, you dont think so, whatever. You go on believing what you want.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Spamalot in the Playground

Switching back to RPGs, I had another example that's more universal - story missions. Often in RPGs, you'll finish a story mission that gives you some kind of hook leading to the next story mission, but for various reasons you might want to piss around and do the side-stuff instead - maybe you want to gain some levels, maybe you want to stop and get the Infinity Plus One sword, maybe you want to further the romance or get your party's personal quests out of the way before you advance the story too far. But in-universe, waiting around makes no sense. It's in these situations that I probably headcanon the most.

As an example, in Dragon Age Inquisition - right after I get established at Skyhold I receive word that the Empress of Orlais is going to be assassinated at her grand ball by the Big Bad, and that if he succeeds the land will be plunged into doom and chaos; I can't very well put that off to chat up one of my companions and help them find a missing locket, but if I don't lock in their affections before the party I won't be able to get all flirty and dance with them and such. So I simply headcanon that the party isn't for another fortnight and pretend the quest isn't actually available to me yet - plenty of time for side stuff. There's no actual in-game consequences for waiting so it feels like the game is helping me out.

Anyone else headcanon their RPGs like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Well my assumption is that CHIM is a more universal ability to RPG protags than just Elder Scrolls, and that it just takes different forms depending on which universe you are in. Like in Undertale, CHIM and Determination are the same thing. while Sora's Keyblade unlocks awareness of what kind of universe he is in, and thats why he just keeps getting depowered and retraining without much complaint, because CHIM takes the form of keyblades in the KH universe- which given how Keyblade users are one of the few people allowed to know how things actually work in that universe isn't too far off. things like that

Meaning RPG protags inherently know that they can take all the time they need.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #309

I think my favorite example is in ff7. "A meteor is coming and we cant stop it with our technology! Only by defeating sephiroth can we unlock the power of holy and save the world!" Oh god its right there floating over our heads, heading towards us at a planet crushing rate of speed! You know what? Im going to breed roughly 12 generations of chocobo, train them in races, then go check out those 4 caves floating around the map I havent been able to reach yet. Maybe pick a fight with those ultimate weapon monsters that are doing literally nothing but walking around the ocean floor or hanging out in the desert." Its like, you can literally see the meteor hanging over the skyline, you know you dont have time to waste, so.... you waste potentially years doing things like breeding chocobos looking for the magic pairings you are after and picking fights with monsters that arent currently threatening anyone.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Spamalot in the Playground

Yeah, older JRPGs are particularly egregious for this due to the massive amount of grinding required as a gameplay-lengthening tool. And the obvious triviality of the sidestuff in some (like FF7's chocobo breeding and other minigames) makes this kind of headcanon even more necessary.

What's cool though are RPGs where this headcanon isn't required. RPGs that mess around with time do a good job of this - Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and just about any Zelda game (especially Majora's Mask) are all instances where this can be explained away in-universe. There are other RPGs that simply sidestep this by having essentially no stakes at all, like Pokemon or Mario RPG; the big bad, if there even is one, is so thoroughly incompetent/comical or has their sights set so low that there's really no reason to rush.

Another instance I like are RPGs where the side stuff happens after you beat it, like Diablo. These tend to obviously be light in the story department - not much narrative necessity to be testing yourself in rifts after you've eradicated the Prime Evils after all - but it is an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #311

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Yeah, older JRPGs are particularly egregious for this due to the massive amount of grinding required as a gameplay-lengthening tool. And the obvious triviality of the sidestuff in some (like FF7's chocobo breeding and other minigames) makes this kind of headcanon even more necessary.

What's cool though are RPGs where this headcanon isn't required. RPGs that mess around with time do a good job of this - Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and just about any Zelda game (especially Majora's Mask) are all instances where this can be explained away in-universe. There are other RPGs that simply sidestep this by having essentially no stakes at all, like Pokemon or Mario RPG; the big bad, if there even is one, is so thoroughly incompetent/comical or has their sights set so low that there's really no reason to rush.

Another instance I like are RPGs where the side stuff happens after you beat it, like Diablo. These tend to obviously be light in the story department - not much narrative necessity to be testing yourself in rifts after you've eradicated the Prime Evils after all - but it is an option.
    Yeah honestly, most of the jrpg genre that gives a story based timeline "We only have 42 hours to save the earth!" without backing it up with a hard coded timer really shoot themselves in the foot immersion wise. I mentioned ff7, but ff6 was similar, except it didnt have a time limit. Kefka was in his tower, doing his own thing, and you had all the time you needed to go murder 500 million dinosaurs to hit max level, or get whatever random bits and pieces you had yet to discover before going into the final dungeon. "Ok team, we have reassembled the full force. Time for training so we can prepare to face him! Lets learn all of the magic, find all of the best gear, discover all of the secrets, and train till we cant get any stronger! THEN KEFKA DIES!!!" That actually makes sense compared to "Giant meteor incoming, only way to stop it is to stop sephy, lets go spend our time mastering our materia for a few weeks."

12. - Top - End - #312
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think my favorite example is in ff7. "A meteor is coming and we cant stop it with our technology! Only by defeating sephiroth can we unlock the power of holy and save the world!" Oh god its right there floating over our heads, heading towards us at a planet crushing rate of speed! You know what? Im going to breed roughly 12 generations of chocobo, train them in races, then go check out those 4 caves floating around the map I havent been able to reach yet. Maybe pick a fight with those ultimate weapon monsters that are doing literally nothing but walking around the ocean floor or hanging out in the desert." Its like, you can literally see the meteor hanging over the skyline, you know you dont have time to waste, so.... you waste potentially years doing things like breeding chocobos looking for the magic pairings you are after and picking fights with monsters that arent currently threatening anyone.
    Another egregious but smaller scale example is Champuons of Krynn, in which the characters are able to rest for 8 hours during a chase scene without being given the slip
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

13. - Top - End - #313

I'm about 75% sure that the name "Yog-Sothoth" in H.P.Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos stories was originally intended by the author to be a bastardized rendering of the phrase "YHWH-Sabaoth"
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I'm about 75% sure that the name "Yog-Sothoth" in H.P.Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos stories was originally intended by the author to be a bastardized rendering of the phrase "YHWH-Sabaoth"
    Headcannon Accepted.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Bugbear in the Playground

All right.

(I really need to get around to reading some Lovecraft one of these days...)
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

If we're counting crossover fanon, I think that the most recent Trek film is a crossover with Stargate: Atlantis (the way the main villain survived that long is clearly Wraith tech) and Magic: the Gathering (the scavenger lady who teams up with Scotty whose name I've forgotten is clearly a Kor from Zendikar; the white skin and tattoos, the affinity with technology, etc.). Seeing as Magic had dimension-hopping tech at one point (it's how the Phyrexians moved between planes back when they were still lead by Yawgmoth), I theorized that her folks found one of those ancient devices, only for it to dump them in this dimension. where a Wraith ship crashed long, long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

On the subject of Magic the Gathering, I believe the Eldrazi are a natural part of the multiplanar ecosystem and that their binding is responsible for most of the troubles and travails of the universe.

Think of the multiverse as an ecosystem: The planes are the Autotrophs (plants) producing mana which provides sustenance up the tree of life. The inhabitants of the planes are like the bacteria and other beneficial or parasitic flora which cling to them. Planeswalkers historically served the purpose of cross-pollinating insects, allowing various forms of life to flourish and grow across worlds and various planes to come into existence creating a great deal of vigor. The Eldrazi are the predators at the top, and as studies on the existence of predatory sea stars have shown... having a top level predator is good for biodiversity. See, top level predators prey upon the weak, but also on any prey which grows too numerous, both strengthening the genome and preventing any one form of organism from becoming too dominant.

After the Eldrazi were sealed away, things take a turn for the grim in a lot of ways. "Sick" and unsustainable planes with mana deficiencies were able to propagate, and planar contagious diseases like Phyrexian Compleation were carried from world to world by planeswalkers. The ecosystem was disrupted enough to allow a mana environmental crisis like Time Spiral, and planeswalkers as a "species" were permanently weakened by the upheaval of the ecosystem they were dependent on, and homogenization of a large number of species happened.

Basically, without its predators, the multiverse was unbalanced and falling towards a new equilibrium with much less variety and much more... illness, of sorts. And I totally get why planeswalkers don't want to let the Eldrazi have their way unopposed: Nobody wants to be eaten, after all. But if nobody ever ate anybody else, we'd all still be cyanobacteria.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Dwarf in the Playground

I treat the creator's word as gospel.

19. - Top - End - #319

In the Matrix trilogy the city of Zion and the rest of the 'real world' aren't real. They're another illusion created by the forces behind the matrix (about whom very little can be speculated since given this headcanon the zionites have been misled [and the Oracle and Architect weren;t trustworthy sources of information to begin with]. We don;t know if they're even really machines, {or even really hostile, for all we know The Matrix could actually take place in the world of Total Recall}. Presumably the Oracle and Architect are machines but we don't know if they speak or even knpw the truth).

It's one of only two possible interpretations that make the movie make sense (the other being that contrary to its hard sci-fi exterior the Matrix trilogy is actually in something closer to a science-fantasy setting like Star Wars or Star Trek where people who have magic powers are a thing that exists; I'll be covering this other possible explanation in parenthetical notes).

There's extensive evidence that things in the setting are not as they appear.

First and foremost is the alleged purpose of the Matrix. It's clear that Morpheus has been deceived on this point. The Matrix alone would use far more power than could be generated by that power plant just from human body heat, and there certainly wouldn't be any left over to power anything else (unless they were actually harvesting magic, rather than heat or electricity). It's more plausible that the idea of this body heat power plant is just a false idea that has been fed to the zionites

Secondly, Neo's powers and to a lesser extent everyone else's powers. A couple issues with these.

Firstly, there's no more reason why realizing that there is no spoon should give you power over the spoon than there is reason that realizing that there is no BFG 9000 should give you power over the BFG 9000. Unless, of course, it was something built into the program to begin with. Idkfa.
    (alternately in the science-fantasy interpretation this could be viewed as some kind of sympathetic magic)

Secondly, Neo's powers in particular make very little sense as he can use some of them outside of the matrix. He still has power over the machines while disconnected from any sensible link to them. Clearly this is still more of the narrative that's being fed to him. (or, alternately, he's telepathic)

The translation of injuries in the matrix to injuries out of the matrix makes sense only if things were deliberately and perniciously rigged for them to carry over. "The mind makes it real" doesn;t hold water; first and foremost because they know it's not, and secondly the materials are generally on hand to counteract both heart attacks from sudden fright and the physiological stress symptoms and behavioral disturbances associated with voodoo death,which takes upwards of 24 hours to work anyway. (alternately it's psychic powers and/or sympathetic magic). There are also the related issue of why suddenly disconnecting someone causes instant and unavoidabke death. While I can completely see how that could cause seizures, strokes, or any number or problems, none of them could cause the sort of instant death that is depicted.

There's also the issue of why people look the same in the matrix and in zion. The think about residual self image only makes sense if they've seen what they really look like.

Finally, during the climactic fight scene in Revolutions, Agent Smith taunts Neo, claiming that his "Freedom and truth" are "illusions" and "just as artificial as the Matrix itself"

Omegaupdate Forum

20. - Top - End - #320

Bail changed Leia's birthday to help conceal her from the empire, but R2-D2 always wished her happy birthday on her real birthday anyways. When that date comes around while they're on Hoth and he does the same thing to Luke, they have a laugh about it and chalk it up to R2's eccentricity.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by solidork View Post
    Bail changed Leia's birthday to help conceal her from the empire, but R2-D2 always wished her happy birthday on her real birthday anyways. When that date comes around while they're on Hoth and he does the same thing to Luke, they have a laugh about it and chalk it up to R2's eccentricity.
    thats some thing i can agree
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Threads are like cats. They go where they want, and never listen to what you want them to do.

22. - Top - End - #322

In Star Wars the plot armor exhibited by many of the characters is a subconsciously manifested force ability. As of Rogue One this is only just barely short of explicit canon with the introduction of the character of Chirrut Imwe who has a more extreme and explicit form of this as an actively manifested force ability.
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2017-06-20 at 10:49 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    The Borg Queen is an assimilated Q.

In TNG: "Q Who", Q provokes the Borg. In VOY: "Q2", Q instructs his son in no uncertain terms, "DON'T PROVOKE THE BORG". Sometime between the one and the other, he must have learned that the Borg are somehow a real threat to the Q -- perhaps because they successfully assimilated one.

This also explains the differences in behavior of the Borg in their early TNG appearances from their behavior in First Contact and Voyager: A Q is so powerful that the newly-assimilated Q managed to hijack control of the Collective and twist it to her own ends, and the Borg started doing her agenda instead of their own.
    Even if you don't buy the above, I have a related headcanon that's so obvious I keep forgetting it's headcanon:

The reason the Borg are so unreasonably obsessed with assimilating humanity is because they want access to humanity's ability to assimilate cultures into their Federation non-violently.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The reason the Borg are so unreasonably obsessed with assimilating humanity is because they want access to humanity's ability to assimilate cultures into their Federation non-violently.
    Obligatory

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seppl View Post
    Yes, exactly! This is the methodology the Borg seek to acquire by assimilating humanity -- they're incapable of understanding and utilizing it without assimilating somebody who's good at it, because they're incapable of doing or even understanding anything if they haven't assimilated it.

(Also that bit from DS9 where Eddington ranted at Sisko pointing out that the Federation is just the Borg but friendlier.)

26. - Top - End - #326

Flumph

The Borg Queen is an assimilated Q.

In TNG: "Q Who", Q provokes the Borg. In VOY: "Q2", Q instructs his son in no uncertain terms, "DON'T PROVOKE THE BORG". Sometime between the one and the other, he must have learned that the Borg are somehow a real threat to the Q -- perhaps because they successfully assimilated one.

This also explains the differences in behavior of the Borg in their early TNG appearances from their behavior in First Contact and Voyager: A Q is so powerful that the newly-assimilated Q managed to hijack control of the Collective and twist it to her own ends, and the Borg started doing her agenda instead of their own.
    No, the reason Q didn't want to provoke the Borg in Q2 is because Janeway had called dibs, and he was scared of her.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Dwarf in the Playground

The reason the Avatar is back at his house in Ultima IX is because he's recovering from his defeat in Dungeon Keeper.
    I imagine Elminster's standard day begins like "Wake up, exit my completely impenetrable, spell-proofed bedroom to go to the bathroom, kill the inevitable 3 balors waiting there, brush my teeth, have a wizard fight with the archlich hiding in the shower, use the toilet..."
    -Waterdeep Merch.

Laphicet avatar by linklele.

28. - Top - End - #328

[For Final Fantasy VII and inspired by watching season 3 of Fargo.]
    Nibelheim and the general region it's a part of are its world's version of Minnesota. Therefore Cloud Strife and Tifa Lockheart have Minnesotan accents. I'm not sure about everyone else though.

[Mary Poppins/John Wick from my stalled Shadows Over the Golden State crossover.]
    While Mary and her flying umbrella can travel rather easily from town to town and city to city in the UK, she still needs to board an airplane like anybody else. So when she ends her Trans-Atlantic flight Miss Poppins, being a rather private person, then departs for the only hotel in the States' Eastern Seaboard where she can find discreet accommodations to her liking, the Continental. Where the two most important rules are "Do not conduct business on Continental grounds" and "Leave Miss Poppins alone, if you value your life and general physical well being." Anyone with at least half a brain approaches Mary Poppins with the same fear and reverential respect typically reserved for John Wick and Winston, that includes John Wick himself. She's not in the same business as the rest of the Continental's clientele, but Mary Poppins' long, magically prolonged life and youth, combined with her magic and her bartitsu skills that come with it, make her the deadliest of it's clientele.
    Last edited by Agrippa; 2017-06-25 at 02:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

29. - Top - End - #329

Don't know anything about that, but he did explicitly connect a few other mythos entity to existing gods. Shub-Niggurath is Kybele.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

30. - Top - End - #330

Grazzt's father is Zargon the Returner. This allows his son-of-Pale-Night origin story to be reconciled with his spy-from-Baator-gone-native origin story

Omegaupdate Forum