New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: What's your favorite headcanon?

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Bishop tells us how far the explosion is likely to go:

Hicks: How long til it blows?
    Bishop: Four hours. Blast radius of about thirty kilometres. Equal to about forty megatons.

So if the alien vessel is more than 30 km out from the colony, it wasn't destroyed. We aren't given an exact measurement for how far it was, but in the deleted scenes from Aliens that particular grid point is said to be out "in the middle of nowhere", "out past the Ilium Range". I grant you the novelisation of Alien Resurrection claims the explosion took out the alien vessel, but I don't know if that was the intended outcome in Aliens.
    Good points. My assumption was based on the following:

• The surface of LV-426 was so difficult to navigate that the Ship could be within what we would consider commuting distance, but still be such a lengthy, arduous trip as be considered remote
    • Per the deleted/director's cut scenes, the vehicle Newt's family uses to get to the vessel didn't look like it was made to be used for long or overnight trips
    • I don't remember if Ripley actually tells Newt that all of the monsters are dead, but I inferred from her behavior at the end that she herself was pretty sure they were
    • Rhetorical flourish aside, if Bishop used Nebraska as a reference that was a BIG explosion

I won't claim this is a definitive analysis, so it's easily possible that the Ship and the eggs survived the blast.

As for the theory that the Company was hoping to find an Engineer, the novelization of the original film states explicitly that they knew exactly what they expected to find (edited for clarity and conciseness):
    [ASH] My orders, in essence, directed me to reroute the ship to the source of the signal. There we were to investigate a life form, almost certainly hostile, and bring it back for observation. Using discretion, of course.

[RIPLEY] The transmission was a warning?

[ASH] Yes, and frighteningly specific. The derelict spacecraft landed on the planet. Like Kane, they encountered one of the alien spores. Before they all died, they managed to set up the warning.

Burke is equally clear in the sequel when he admits that he sent the colonists to investigate in the hopes that the eggs could be used as (highly lucrative) bio-weapons. I've avoided Prometheus like the plague based on the legions of often-hilarious takedowns I read/saw when it came out, so while I will concede that it is officially canon, I will maintain that it's moronic canon created by hacks and ignore their interpretation of both the Engineers and the Alien.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    I concur with this, as it fits with what we see with djinnis later in the series and magic in general. We know that raising the dead DOES work in that universe, because as of the Hercules/Aladdin TV shows crossover we see Jafar be raised by Hades to take down Hercules with magic.

The djinni are shown to be powerful- Jafar briefly claims to be able to command the universe before his bindings hold and he is under the same controls as Genie. Infinite cosmic power...

So yeah, I feel that it's probably a case of somebody wishing that he never grants that wish.

The question, however, is why is Jafar as limited as Genie when Jafar is a djinni in Return of Jafar? He cannot kill people ("but you'd be surprised what you can live through"), he has to obey his master (of course, he can be a **** to him despite that).

Nobody asks him to raise the dead, or make anybody fall in love with anybody, or even duplicate wishes (most of what he does in the movie seems to fall under the limits of 'friend like me examples of magic' scene Genie does in the previous movie, wishless conjurations of gold, baklava, and dancing girls with Robin Williams voices, which are presumably dismissable at will and non-permanent) but if they did... it's an interesting question to see what happens. Jafar's smart, he might be able to circumvent those rules if they apply to him (is it raising the dead if you conjure a duplicate of that person?)
    The thing with genies is, they have to have hard coded limits or the entire setup breaks down. If they have phenomenal cosmic power, enough to reorder the very universe, where did those slave bracelets come from and why cant they take them off without a wish? The very existence of those bracelets means there is some force out there that can and does restrict them which to me implies the rules are hard and fast and not the product of another wish forbidding it at some time. Though I admit the "I dont like doing it!" line does imply that at one point he could and did. But then again, for all we know, jafar was an example of how most genies come to be. They wish to be genies and end up enslaved. Perhaps at one point genie was a sorcerer himself, capable of raising the dead (as gory monsters of course) and one day got a wish and chose to become even more magically powerful.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #753
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

My favorite head cannon: A laser cannon on the head of a shark.

(Google search turns up a ton of images, take your pick)
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

New One:

In The Predator

Spoiler
    Show
    Big Black Predator is a bioweapon despatched from the Predator equivalent of a mad scientist's lab after an escaped research specimen. This practice is not endorsed by the rest of the society. Small Predator just went to earth to hide, intending to stalk and kill his pursuer in the jungle using the hardware. All the stuff about gifting humanity and global warming are false assumptions.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

The only predator movies that happened was predator, and maybe predators.

I liked bits and pieces from the other movies, but they're ****ing awful stuff and don't match with what a predator should be.

Similarly, only xenomorph movie is Alien, although Alien3 has the right way of doing things, it suffers from being a sequel of aliens

Super science in marvel/DC is actually magic, it's some MTA technocracy stuff going on; Otherwise everybody'd be going around with quantum-shrunk stark reactors in their goblin guiders. Science is replicable, so it needs to be magic for so many one-off cases to exist.
    Last edited by The Jack; 2018-09-27 at 04:24 PM.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

When you take your headcanon and write it, it becomes handcanon. That's why a major writing is called a magnum opus. It makes you a higher caliber of writer. But take it with an extra grain of powder.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Orc in the Playground

When you take your headcanon and write it, it becomes handcanon. That's why a major writing is called a magnum opus. It makes you a higher caliber of writer. But take it with an extra grain of powder.
    This is just classic. Bravo.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

What's your aim in this?

9. - Top - End - #759

What's your aim in this?
    He just wants us to keep it in sight. Im sure he would apologize if that blew you away.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    He just wants us to keep it in sight. Im sure he would apologize if that blew you away.
    For some reason I find that a very loaded comment.

11. - Top - End - #761

For some reason I find that a very loaded comment.
    Fine, fine, I'll just sit right here reading my magazine instead. I love the clip art.

12. - Top - End - #762

I prefer to interpret the drastic reduction in the quality of the CGI in the Matrix: Reloaded to be the code getting buggy because of Neo being active within it for so long, especially during the 100 vs 1 fight with the Agents Smith.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

13. - Top - End - #763

EvilClericGuy

Rachel suggested that she and Ross go on a break. The writers make it clear that she understands that she considered this them breaking up by having her tell Monica that she and Ross broke up the next morning. OH WAIT! That's actually what happens! Every time Rachel accuses Ross of cheating is her denial of her role in their break up.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Firbolg in the Playground

The various theories bere about Batman engaging in class warfare and being anti-poor-people don't hold water. Let's take a look at the rogue's gallery, shall we. Mister Freeze, Harley Quinn, and Ra's al-Ghul are all medical doctors. Ra's al-Ghul is also the head of a wealthy international criminal cartel. Two-Face is a district attorney. None of these folks seem poor.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

15. - Top - End - #765

The word you're missing on all of those is former. Harley Quinn used to be a psychiatrist. Harvey Dent used to be a lawyer. Victor Fries used to be a scientist. Whatever money they saved was spent long ago.

The classist thing, however, doesn't relate to his rogues gallery. It refers to both his habit of beating up anyone in the slums and back alleys deemed criminal, and his habit of starting investigations by going and finding someone 'who knows the scene' and beating answers out of them (not surprising at all, he never goes to mansions or suburbs to find someone to interrogate--even for Society Page Crimes, his first stop is the slums).

16. - Top - End - #766

EvilClericGuy

Harry Potter
    Wizards sell love potions to girls, who use them on boys without consequence. This should be horrifying but Prof. Slughorn doesn't act like anything is out of the ordinary when Harry take Ron to him. Ron doesn't act like anything is wrong after he's given what is essentially a magical date rape drug. The only time it is presented as a problem is when Voldemort's mother continually uses it on Voldemort's father.

My headcanon is that girls slipping love potions to boys is a part of Wizard-courtship rituals. The first part in fact. It's a way of letting the boy know she's interested in him. But that is were it is supposed to stop. The boy suddenly feels strong feelings for a girl. He's supposed to wait a few days and if he still feels interested after the potion has worn off, then he goes and asks the girl out.

This means Ron dating Lavender Brown was because she slipped him a love potion. Cho is confused by Harry asking her out because she never slipped him a love potion. Ginny dating a number of boys was because she was slipping them a love potion but the boys decided they were not interested after a few dates. (Or she was dating without using love potions. Love potions are not introduced until Book 6. Perhaps they are not sold to girls before a certain age.)

Hermione, being muggle-born, never learned about wizard courtship rituals. And this wasn't covered in Hogwarts: A History. So she was confused when Ron started dating Lavender. Hermione never gave Ron a love potion. When he whispers Hermione's name, that's his own true feelings for her overcoming Lavender's love potions.
    If you find yourself watching Power Rangers and wonder how some characters got their powers and zords back for an anniversary episode, just assume they were restored off screen. They have 20+ seasons of team geniuses to call on.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    The word you're missing on all of those is former. Harley Quinn used to be a psychiatrist. Harvey Dent used to be a lawyer. Victor Fries used to be a scientist. Whatever money they saved was spent long ago.

The classist thing, however, doesn't relate to his rogues gallery. It refers to both his habit of beating up anyone in the slums and back alleys deemed criminal, and his habit of starting investigations by going and finding someone 'who knows the scene' and beating answers out of them (not surprising at all, he never goes to mansions or suburbs to find someone to interrogate--even for Society Page Crimes, his first stop is the slums).
    He does that in Arkham games if the player chooses to. Otherwise, it's not 'beat up people at random' so much as 'person directly involved in whatever I'm investigating.'

18. - Top - End - #768

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by archon_huskie View Post
    Harry Potter
    Wizards sell love potions to girls, who use them on boys without consequence. This should be horrifying but Prof. Slughorn doesn't act like anything is out of the ordinary when Harry take Ron to him. Ron doesn't act like anything is wrong after he's given what is essentially a magical date rape drug. The only time it is presented as a problem is when Voldemort's mother continually uses it on Voldemort's father.

My headcanon is that girls slipping love potions to boys is a part of Wizard-courtship rituals. The first part in fact. It's a way of letting the boy know she's interested in him. But that is were it is supposed to stop. The boy suddenly feels strong feelings for a girl. He's supposed to wait a few days and if he still feels interested after the potion has worn off, then he goes and asks the girl out.

This means Ron dating Lavender Brown was because she slipped him a love potion. Cho is confused by Harry asking her out because she never slipped him a love potion. Ginny dating a number of boys was because she was slipping them a love potion but the boys decided they were not interested after a few dates. (Or she was dating without using love potions. Love potions are not introduced until Book 6. Perhaps they are not sold to girls before a certain age.)

Hermione, being muggle-born, never learned about wizard courtship rituals. And this wasn't covered in Hogwarts: A History. So she was confused when Ron started dating Lavender. Hermione never gave Ron a love potion. When he whispers Hermione's name, that's his own true feelings for her overcoming Lavender's love potions.
    That ... makes a disturbing amount of sense.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

Batman-

Doesn't kill, owns a hospital; Profits from all the people he greviously injures. Meanwhile his victims can't afford care, spiral into debt, and are more incensed to return to crime.

All his major villains inevitably get out of their prisons. You'll notice that he has a real low opinion of every thug, and actually seems to care more for the ones with money, education or whatnot (IE most major baddies). In the few stories where I've actually seen him be critical of, or fight, a rich person, it's because they're new money types (and bruce is old money) or because they threaten the balance of his eco system.

Harry potter- Love potions.
    You make a ****ton of sense, and got me extrapolating. I can only skirt around it on these forums given the rules, but I'll give it my best.
    Every problematic aspect of love is fixable with magic. They wouldn't have to worry about appearance, diseases, children or whatever... They can magic it away, and there's plenty of aspects they could probably make better with magic. I'm fairly sure they'd develop a culture where sex's about as intimate as sharing a beer.

That said, another thing with harry potter, and a lot of universes with magic in general; A conventionally logical mindset is antithetical to the practice of magic. The battle of hogwarts could've been easily won with a machinegun or everyone should've spammed killing curses, the moving starecases are a logistical nightmare, sentient paintings should be a nightmare; when someone points out 'why don't they use the timeturner for everything' then they're just not thinking like a wizard would.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    All his major villains inevitably get out of their prisons. You'll notice that he has a real low opinion of every thug, and actually seems to care more for the ones with money, education or whatnot (IE most major baddies). In the few stories where I've actually seen him be critical of, or fight, a rich person, it's because they're new money types (and bruce is old money) or because they threaten the balance of his eco system.
    The Penguin and Hush are from old money and they don't have anything to do with the ecology. Catwoman is not rich (or when she is it is because of her thefts) and neither is the Joker who are the two he has the deepest connection with (there is Two-Face as well but they knew each others before).

Also doesn't he often hire reformed criminals?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

21. - Top - End - #771

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Also doesn't he often hire reformed criminals?
    Most writers, no. Anyone who has ever thought about committing a crime is a criminal. Once a criminal, always a criminal.

The character is the embodiment of rich white male privilege.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Ogre in the Playground

Most writers, no. Anyone who has ever thought about committing a crime is a criminal. Once a criminal, always a criminal.

Source, please?

The most common person he interrogates for information is Penguin, who is rich old money.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Titan in the Playground

That's the Punisher, though.
    Forum Wisdom

24. - Top - End - #774
    Troll in the Playground

[QUOTE=Rogar Demonblud;23411898
    The character is the embodiment of rich white male privilege.[/QUOTE]

I thought that was Tony Stark ?
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

25. - Top - End - #775
    Banned

HalflingRangerGuy

@Fryatari
    They disrupt his order. The penguin, in a way, kinda doesn't act like old money beyond the surface level; He's got the style and the history, but his behaviour draws attention to his richness, which is a very new money thing. Part of being old money is refraining yourself from such public ostentation... and that's a rule penguin breaks regularly.

Let's put it in another way.
    Batman will beat on criminals, regardless of who they are.
    But his hard-on is for poor criminals.

I agree, but could you phrase it differently?

26. - Top - End - #776

@Fryatari
    They disrupt his order. The penguin, in a way, kinda doesn't act like old money beyond the surface level; He's got the style and the history, but his behaviour draws attention to his richness, which is a very new money thing. Part of being old money is refraining yourself from such public ostentation... and that's a rule penguin breaks regularly.

I agree, but could you phrase it differently?
    Maybe because "rich people crime" isnt as exciting. No one wants to read a comic where batman tracks down lexcorps insider trading scheme. Not many are going to be fascinated by batman uncovering securities fraud by star labs. If someone on par with tony stark wants an artifact, he will buy it. Because he can. Stealing it would be stupid and pointless. Hammer industries, lexcorp, whatever, they all are free to develop whatever psychotic super weapon they want without heroes busting through the roof to arrest them, because when mr freeze builds a cold ray, its a crime. When tony stark builds a cold ray is an extra jump in his stock value.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe because "rich people crime" isnt as exciting. No one wants to read a comic where batman tracks down lexcorps insider trading scheme. Not many are going to be fascinated by batman uncovering securities fraud by star labs.
    Actually, I enjoyed the hell out of White Collar. And Going Postal.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-10-03 at 12:54 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

28. - Top - End - #778
    Titan in the Playground

@Fryatari
    That's my evil twin brother.

I agree that if you except all the rich people he beats then, yes, Batman mostly beats poor people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Maybe because "rich people crime" isnt as exciting. No one wants to read a comic where batman tracks down lexcorps insider trading scheme. Not many are going to be fascinated by batman uncovering securities fraud by star labs.
    Actually, I enjoyed the hell out of White Collar. And Going Postal.

Grey Wolf
    Neither of those had Batman in it. Every kind of story can be great but not every kind of story can fit with every character or genre.

Superheroes and white collar crime don't mesh together very well, in my opinion.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #779
    Firbolg in the Playground

How does race enter into it? IIRC I don't think any of the rogues are black (except occasionally Catwoman), and their henchmen are predominantly white as well.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

30. - Top - End - #780

EvilClericGuy

Head Canon should make sense. It requires adding to the canon without contradicting it. Which is why pretending a particular episode of Star Wars isn't canon is not an example of Head Canon.

To make a good head canon,: start with deconstructing the main work, and then make an explanation for it.

For The Last Jedi, the thing I don't like the most isn't Rose saving Finn from self-sacrifice, Leia's spacewalk, or Volo's bad leadership.

No, the thing I dislike the most is that TLJ is the first appearance of something trivial that has not been a part of any Star Wars movie, even the two made for TV Ewok movies.

Paper.

Before Last Jedi there had never been a scrap of paper anywhere in the movies. It was one of those unique things gave the movies a Star Wars feel. Similar to vehicles favoring walker legs or hover tech over wheels. And until I pointed it out just now, you'd probablly never noticed it. Then the trailer showed those books in the Jedi tree.

So my headcanon for the last jedi is: Those books are not made of paper. For as old as they are supposed to be, paper would have biodegraded by now. Or Rey would have destroyed them when she so much as touched them, let alone stuff them into a drawer in the Millennium Falcon.